Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thoughts on UDFA signed up so far - which ones will make team?

chad72

NO PROMOTIONAL POSTING ON THE SITE2013-articles/april/colts-updated-udfa-list.html

Lanear Sampson, WR, Baylor (His Twitter)

Daxton Swanson, CB, Sam Houston State (His Twitter)

Brandon McManus, K, Temple (His Twitter)

Dan Moore, FB, Montana (His Twitter)

Emmett Cleary, OT, Boston College (Boston College blogger)

C.O. Prime, DE, Wagner (Teammate)

Michael Josifovski, K, Marian (His Twitter)

Denodus O'Bryant, RB, Lindenwood (His Twitter)

Sheldon Price, CB, UCLA (high school contact)

Nigel Malone, CB, Kansas State (NEPatriotsDraft)

Jamal-Rashad Patterson, WR, Stanford (His Twitter)

Nick Driskill, S, Mount Union (His father, through blogger from Draft-Hub, also, his roommate)

Rodrick Rumble, WR, Idaho State (ISU Athletics and his Twitter)

Jordan Bright, DT, Indiana State (Local news)

Jerome Cunningham, TE, Southern Connecticut (Teammate)

Josh Dworaczyk, OL, LSU (The Times-Picayune)

Jamaal Johnson-Webb, OL, Alabama A&M (NFL.com)

Allen Chapman, CB, Kansas State (unconfirmed)

My bets are on Lanear Sampson, WR, Baylor, and Sheldon Price, CB, UCLA

Thoughts???

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/tracker#dt-by-name-input:m

Nigel Malone scouting profile: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/nigel-malone?id=2539244

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/tracker#dt-by-name-input:p

Sheldon Price scouting profile: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/sheldon-price?id=2539670

The ratings on nfl.com give Malone a 60 rating while giving Price a 62 rating. It would just boil down to scheme fit, it seems like. Price, with his size, if he can play man coverage better, might get the nod, IMO. Looks like Nigel Malone screams zone corner.

I don't know why everyone likes Price. He was just awful in college. Dax and Malone are much better than him.

I think it's the size.  People love tall corners and many people haven't heard of these guys until now so it's easy to pick out an impressive physical attribute, especially after all the smurfs we've had over the last decade.

Im hoping for Driskill, I know the kid, played high school football with him. Both of us Graduated from Southwood. It would be nice to see a kid from this small town of Wabash get signed by the colts. So im pulling for him. Although he wont start. still would be nice....if it means anything he was our running back in high school

I think this year he will be cut, but maybe, juuuuuust maybe, stashed on the practice squad. That's Mike Josifovski. He's got the clutch, and with an NFL training regimen can get stronger and more accurate. You can train that. You can't train clutch. I think he has a good shot at being Vinny's successor barring Pat Mac's triple duty success.

Im hoping for Driskill, I know the kid, played high school football with him. Both of us Graduated from Southwood. It would be nice to see a kid from this small town of Wabash get signed by the colts. So im pulling for him. Although he wont start. still would be nice....if it means anything he was our running back in high school

Ditto, except I was out of WHS 10 years earlier.  Everyone around here says he's a great kid, would love to see it happen for him.

Cleary .. the OT from Boston college was regarded as the best OT not drafted.

If Ijalana cannot make the roster , this guy has by far the best chance. Take a look at the roster without Ijalana , you only have link as OT depth. 

NO PROMOTIONAL POSTING ON THE SITE2013-articles/april/colts-updated-udfa-list.html

Lanear Sampson, WR, Baylor (His Twitter)

Daxton Swanson, CB, Sam Houston State (His Twitter)

Brandon McManus, K, Temple (His Twitter)

Dan Moore, FB, Montana (His Twitter)

Emmett Cleary, OT, Boston College (Boston College blogger)

C.O. Prime, DE, Wagner (Teammate)

Michael Josifovski, K, Marian (His Twitter)

Denodus O'Bryant, RB, Lindenwood (His Twitter)

Sheldon Price, CB, UCLA (high school contact)

Nigel Malone, CB, Kansas State (NEPatriotsDraft)

Jamal-Rashad Patterson, WR, Stanford (His Twitter)

Nick Driskill, S, Mount Union (His father, through blogger from Draft-Hub, also, his roommate)

Rodrick Rumble, WR, Idaho State (ISU Athletics and his Twitter)

Jordan Bright, DT, Indiana State (Local news)

Jerome Cunningham, TE, Southern Connecticut (Teammate)

Josh Dworaczyk, OL, LSU (The Times-Picayune)

Jamaal Johnson-Webb, OL, Alabama A&M (NFL.com)

Allen Chapman, CB, Kansas State (unconfirmed)

My bets are on Lanear Sampson, WR, Baylor, and Sheldon Price, CB, UCLA

Thoughts???

I think our best pick-up is Dan Moore -- though we signed Havili in the off-season so I don't know how this will work.  I would predict that Havili makes the 53 and Moore gets moved to practice squad.

I expect the most likely players to make the final 53 would be WR, DB, or OL as I think we have the most room for improvement in the depth of those positions. 

At WR, I think Wayne, DHB, Hilton and Brazzill are likely locks with the possibility of having 1-2 more make the 53.  All 3 of the WR's we signed here are a little bigger than Palmer and Whalen and all have pretty good speed.  Rodrick Rumble had a great college career, but was also playing lower competition than Patterson and Sampson, so it is hard to tell with him.  Patterson has the Pep and Luck thing going for him, coming from Stanford, so he might hold an edge.  Sampson looks to have the best speed of the group.  I expect at least 2 of these guys on the practice squad, with possibly 1 making the 53 -- let's hope they all stay healthy along with Whalen, Palmer and Kelley so that we get some good competition and see who emerges as the best.

At CB, Swanson seems to have the best rankings, but outside of Price being a little bigger than the rest, all of their size/speed measurements are almost identical.  I think Davis, Toler, Butler are locks to make this squad -- with the 4th and 5th CB spots wide-open.  I tend to this Vaughn makes this team again b/c his ability as a return-man and STer.  However, I don't know a lick about ST potential for any of these new guys -- I think that is going to be huge.  I think that Swanson or Malone will grab the last spot, and imagine we'll try to keep one or 2 of these guys on practice squad.

At OL, I think that Costanzo, Thomas, Cherilus are locks to make the 53, with Satele, Holmes, Thornton, and Shipley as good probability.  Ijalana, if healthy, I think is a lock (but I am not optimistic that he'll be healthy).  That leaves battles here pretty wide open.  I think Link makes the team as he is probably our most proven reserve.  I think all 3 OL we drafted here have potential to make this team as they all have the size to play tackle and the ability to play guard as well.  I think Johnson-Webb has the most legitimate chance to make the 53, with 1 or both of the others going to practice squad.

I am intrigued with the Driskill signing, he seems like he could have a shot at making the team, but only if he proves to be a real contributer on STs and he might also need to rely on Boyett's knees not holding up.  I am also intrigued by the O'Bryant signing, he looks to be a very good athlete and has 4.4 speed -- though he hasn't played against much competition.  I could see O'Bryant staying on our practice squad and maybe being brought up later in the year if we are looking for a spark in our return game.

I also think that McManus (K) from Temple is a decent signing.  He was 6-7 from over 40 yards last year as a kicker and think he averaged upwards of 45 yards per punt.  Vinatieri's getting old, I wouldn't be shocked at all to see us throw this guy on our practice squad as an insurance policy at both P/K.

I don't think the others have a shot at practice squad or 53 man roster, but always like being proven wrong.

Sheldon Price-CB
Emmet Cleary-OT
C.O Prime-ILB
Jamal Rashad Patterson-WR
Lanear Sampson-WR

Daxton Swanson-CB
Nick Driskill-CB
Dan Moore-RB (Say goodbye to Carter if Moore makes it in my opinion)
Rodrick Rumble-WR

All have the best shot in my opinion

see i was against drafting Rogers, but if we signed him as a UDFA i would have been all about it. unfortunately it didnt happen

I wouldn't have minded drafting him in the 7th. Like I said in the draft grades thread, I don't see Cunningham bringing anything we couldn't get out of Jones or Saunders, so, even though I like the pick, it just seems un-necessary to me.

Interesting that try signed two kickers. If both are still here by te time pre-season starts could be a sign that Adam's job is on the line.

I was thinking that too.  It sounds like they are going to make Adam work to keep his job.  

I'm not terribly bothered by that.  The only thing that bothers me is Adam always had that clutch factor going for him, even if his overall numbers took a dive.  

I wouldn't have minded drafting him in the 7th. Like I said in the draft grades thread, I don't see Cunningham bringing anything we couldn't get out of Jones or Saunders, so, even though I like the pick, it just seems un-necessary to me.

Likely means that he was a player they took off board completely - must have been undraftable in the war room of the Colts and many other teams.

Likely means that he was a player they took off board completely - must have been undraftable in the war room of the Colts and many other teams.

Seems that way. 

Which thoroughly confuses me. I think tyrann mathieu had a lot more reasons not to be drafted than Rogers, and yet he went in the third. 

I was thinking that too.  It sounds like they are going to make Adam work to keep his job.  

I'm not terribly bothered by that.  The only thing that bothers me is Adam always had that clutch factor going for him, even if his overall numbers took a dive.  

Or rest his leg for the real season while getting a good look at the kickers for the future.  I feel like kicking and punting are so hard to break into since kickers and punters last so long.  It seems like it can take about 3 years for a non high profile rookie kicker to break into the nfl.  There were some good rookie kickers last season so that would be amazing if we found one in the UDFA class.

It seems to me the CBs that would make it on our team would mainly be special team gunners.  So it is hard to gauge who is going to be really good at that based on scouting numbers.  It would be awesome if we found real CB depth out of them though.

i think Lanear Sampson and i like Nigel Malone to replace Vaughn and Brandon Mcmanus to learn behind AV maybe C.O Prime and Dan Moore just my thoughts

No way 5 UDFA make it, and teams don't let kickers sit and learn, if they want a new kicker they just go out and get one

Y'all are getting y'all hopes way too high on these UDFA, looking back at last year with the depleted roster we had at the time we brought in these 14 UDFA and NONE made the 53 man roster.

Micah Pellerin CB, Hampton

Jabin Sambrano, WR, Montana

Jason Foster, OG, Rhode Island (via his Twitter handle)

Steven Baker, OT, East Carolina (via his former coach's Twitter page)

Cameron Chism, CB, Maryland (via KFFL)

Chris Galippo, LB, USC (via his Twitter handle)

Hayworth Hick, OG, Iowa (via his Twitter handle)

Griff Whalen, WR, Stanford (via this lady and Stanford University)

Kevin Eagan, DE, Endicott (via former teammate Vinny Franco)

Buddy Jackson, DB, Pittsburgh (via Ignition APG Twitter handle)

Antonio Fenelus, CB, Wisconsin (via his former coach's Twitter page)

Matt Merlettim, RB, Ignatious (via Total Ignatious Move)

Brian Stahovich, P, San Diego State

James Aiono, DT-DE, Utah (via his agents)

Chigbo Anunoby, NT, Morehouse College

Y'all are getting y'all hopes way too high on these UDFA, looking back at last year with the depleted roster we had at the time we brought in these 14 UDFA and NONE made the 53 man roster.

Micah Pellerin CB, Hampton

Jabin Sambrano, WR, Montana

Jason Foster, OG, Rhode Island (via his Twitter handle)

Steven Baker, OT, East Carolina (via his former coach's Twitter page)

Cameron Chism, CB, Maryland (via KFFL)

Chris Galippo, LB, USC (via his Twitter handle)

Hayworth Hick, OG, Iowa (via his Twitter handle)

Griff Whalen, WR, Stanford (via this lady and Stanford University)

Kevin Eagan, DE, Endicott (via former teammate Vinny Franco)

Buddy Jackson, DB, Pittsburgh (via Ignition APG Twitter handle)

Antonio Fenelus, CB, Wisconsin (via his former coach's Twitter page)

Matt Merlettim, RB, Ignatious (via Total Ignatious Move)

Brian Stahovich, P, San Diego State

James Aiono, DT-DE, Utah (via his agents)

Chigbo Anunoby, NT, Morehouse College

Well Whalen did, he was just on IR.

I think Daxton definitely makes the roster.

A quick analysis of the roster points to Cleary having the best shot to make it since we have little OT depth on the roster and Cleary is the best option for a backup spot with Link. Everybody else is nothing more than a pipe dream IMO.