Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Kerwynn Williams, RB from Utah State

Andy

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the pick. A speedy running back who has potential. Had great stats for Senior season.

Around 1500 rushing yards and 15 TD's

Don't forget:

As a receiver, he also caught 45 passes for 697 yards and another five scores.

20 TD's Rushing/Receiving

Too early. Why pick a guy at the bottom of the 7th when he clearly would have been there with the comp pick. Grigson has lost his mojo.

Plus why be concerned about 3rd down when your 1st and 2nd down backs are weak.  There were three down backs available late in this draft.  Not good as usual.

@pwilson24: #Colts could have a great KO returner in 7th-round pick Kerwynn Williams. Utah State RB had record 1,444 KO yards in 2012. #nfldraft

@KBowenColts: Williams finished his career with 6,928 all-purpose yards which is the 12th-most in NCAA FBS history.

@KBowenColts: Williams rushed for 1,512 yards and caught 45 passes for 697 yards as a one-year starter. He was a kick returner until his senior season.

Played behind Turbin last year

Turbin and Michael Smith played ahead of him, and both were drafted last season. This kid is a beast.

Turbin and Michael Smith played ahead of him, and both were drafted last season. This kid is a beast.

Based on your personal opinion and knowledge of the team, how much would you attribute his success last year to the offensive line and blocking compared to individual skill set? I watched the highlights and this kid is impressive, personally I love the pick, he can out run anybody! I just noticed he had fantastic blocking by the Utah o-line and wondered how big of an impact that played on his numbers?

I don't get why people are down on Donald Brown??? Much of it has to do with the line.  Look at the 1995 Colts.  Very good offensive line.  Marshall Faulk did great.  But when he got hurt, LaMont Warren did well.  When he was out, Zack Crocett did well.  Roosevelt Potts did well.   Other than Faulk were any of them great RBs?  No. I think Brown is better than ahy of them save for Faulk.,   There is no way any RB would succeed behind the line we have been rolling out.  I feel confident that this year Brown will do very well because he will get more holes and the offense will not be telegraphed.

Good value here. I had him going in the 5th-6th round.

This is what I wrote in my guide:

"A good stout athlete who can play as a returner too. He is very quick and can become a good 3rd down running back"

Could compete with Brown for the backup job.

Thoughts?

Am I the only one to notice he's from a zone-read system? Interesting - but I know that doesnt matter.

Based on your personal opinion and knowledge of the team, how much would you attribute his success last year to the offensive line and blocking compared to individual skill set? I watched the highlights and this kid is impressive, personally I love the pick, he can out run anybody! I just noticed he had fantastic blocking by the Utah o-line and wondered how big of an impact that played on his numbers?

Utah State isn't a hotbed of OL talent, they've been blessed in recruiting great backs the last few years. It's frustrating as a University of Utah fan to see so much RB talent flowing into Logan. I think Kerwynn is an immense talent, his line was obviously pretty good, but I attribute his success to his talent, and drive to show himself as a true feature back for the first time.

Utah State isn't a hotbed of OL talent, they've been blessed in recruiting great backs the last few years. It's frustrating as a University of Utah fan to see so much RB talent flowing into Logan. I think Kerwynn is an immense talent, his line was obviously pretty good, but I attribute his success to his talent, and drive to show himself as a true feature back for the first time.

Nicely said.

I like the way he waited his turn to shine.

This guy looks like hes moving at warp speed while everyone else  looks like there hardly moving, what a find! Btw someone else mentioned Deji Karim in this thread I thought last year he was the best kickoff return guy weve had in years, can someone please tell me if he's still on the team?

This guy looks like hes moving at warp speed while everyone else  looks like there hardly moving, what a find! Btw someone else mentioned Deji Karim in this thread I thought last year he was the best kickoff return guy weve had in years, can someone please tell me if he's still on the team?

No he isn't

No he's not. They let Deji go

Yep, I've had the opportunity to see Kerwynn play several times in person, this kid is a steal here, great reciever out of the backfield, and a deceptively powerful runner. He reminds me of Darren Sproles.

another guy with great hands to keep the d-fence guessing

I don't get why people are down on Donald Brown??? Much of it has to do with the line.  Look at the 1995 Colts.  Very good offensive line.  Marshall Faulk did great.  But when he got hurt, LaMont Warren did well.  When he was out, Zack Crocett did well.  Roosevelt Potts did well.   Other than Faulk were any of them great RBs?  No. I think Brown is better than ahy of them save for Faulk.,   There is no way any RB would succeed behind the line we have been rolling out.  I feel confident that this year Brown will do very well because he will get more holes and the offense will not be telegraphed.

I always thought the Colts never put him the right position to succeed he was great at catching out of the backfield

Love it.  Kid runs like a machine.  He looks like he's slower than he is because he doesn't have any wasted movement, and because in just about every play I saw of his highlights on YouTube, he was already at full speed when he hit the line of scrimmage - seriously, like every time.

Certainly not a workhorse or anything like that, but I think he's got a good chance to add a completely new aspect to the offense.  I mean, I wouldn't want to be the defensive coordinator when Hilton, Wayne, Allen, and this guy are on the field together (not to mention the QB being Andrew Luck, since, oh yeah, he can run).

I always thought the Colts never put him the right position to succeed he was great at catching out of the backfield

I do agree that Brown hasn't been used to the best of his abilities, though I still don't think he's really anything special.

Well, we have a new OC this year, so, we'll see if maybe Brown fits into this system better.

I am sure you know exactly what happens in all the picks in the draft. I just hope Grigson has your phone number.

I should give Grigson my phone#.....he is clearly a fool. There is simply no value in drafting Williams in that spot when he could have taken with the last pick. Good lord, the Myers-Shinkel draft guide gave him a grade of 31 ......he would have been available in the 16th round. I think it's clear Grigson is still wet behind the ears when it comes to the draft.....Bill Polian he is not.