Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Khaled Holmes, C from USC (4th Round)

Andy

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am prone to defer to Grigson's judgement, but I went into this draft with a negative read on this guy.  Watched a couple of USC games this year and watched youtube video.  This guy sucks.  No athleticism.  Always looked a second or two late getting to his blocks when I saw him.  Bad pick IMHO.  Would rather have had Da'Rick Rodgers or Poyer. Can still shore up the C position in free agency. I like Mario Benivedes from Louisville. A little bit on the light side, but he won every battle at his position this year. Even against a couple of draftable 350 pounders.

There must be SOME reason LOT of teams continue to pass on Patton. Luck got mauled almost every play last year, this new front office is doing everything opposite of Polian.

Polian put too much emphasis on skill players and ignored the trenches. We drafted quite a few skill players last year, got one very good prospect in the free agency, this draft was about the trenches.

Hear people left and right complaining about our Centers yet we did not need a Center. ANY draft pick to help keep Luck on his feet is a good draft pick by me.

The only center we complained about was Satele.

Holmes doesn't have the strength to play C for us, let alone guard. Bleh

Love it! Position of need and my wife's family are huge SC people and I've watched him for four years in person. Always been a leader and one of the most talked about players here. Him being a center and not a flashy position in LA and being so discussed says a lot.

Position of need?

We, uh, we don't already have 2 guys at the position battling for the starting spot?

I don't get the pick. There doesn't seem to be much fanfare for his chances at switching to G (One of which we've already drafted, anyways) and we have two guys on the DC in front of him. 

I don't think this pick is going to pan at all. 

I would have taken a chance on Patton in that spot.

Well itd be nice to have a another wr.

We did not need a C at all. Dont think he can overtake Satele or AQ.

I've felt that Satele wouldn't be with the team past this year -- his salary in that 3rd year is too high for his production.  I'm wondering now if he'll make it this year.

Got absolutely DESTROYED by Lotulelei..he was also injured in that game I believe.. Other than that he was actually very good

Yes. Holmes was very injured in the game.   Injured enough that he probably shouldn't have played.   But USC is on severe scholarship sanctions and their back-up was a RS Freshman who wasn't ready.

Holmes took one for the team.   But that's all people seem to remember.    Too bad really.    He's been pretty high regarded for some time.

I don't understand...Grigson was emphatic when he said he'd never start a rookie Olineman?! -grin-

4th round pick, I doubt he starts from day 1, highly unlikely considering the Center is responsible for so much and his technique needs some work, regardless Satele probably has 1 year to prove himself in my opinion, I highly doubt we will pay Satele 4,200.000.00$ (his 2014 cap hit wil actually be 5, 366, 667.00$) for another year like last year

Hmm, interesting. Didn't expect it really. We have Shipley/Satele for center. However, depth on the oline is never horrible.

We need an upgrade at Center and this pick shows that Grigson and Pagano agree. That said, I think they blew the pick. Hope I'm wrong, but I didn't like the performances I saw out of this kid this year. Seems like all the USC players who didn't perform this year are all claiming they were injured. Think things will be even rougher in the NFL? Satele is a journeyman and very average. Shipley is a good run blocker but his size and lack of arm length make him a liability in pass protection. Too bad the Alabama center went off the board a few picks ago.

Too small IMO. Most scouting reports say he should be limited to zone blocking scheme's and got manhandled by bigger defenders. We did not need a center. 

That is basically word for word the scouting report on Jeff Saturday back in 1999. "Too small"  "Trouble matching up against power NT's" 

Saturday proved to me, (and obviously the Colts organization if they made this pick) that centers do not have to be huge and bulky. 

I am not saying this guy is a sure thing because I have not watched a lot of USC football, but if I have learned anything from Jeff Saturday, it is not to immediately label a center a bust or unfit for the NFL due to his size.

Seriously?  You did see Satele play, right?  I like Shipley but he could hardly walk in one of the games I went to.

Center is definitely a position that needs upgraded.  I'm not saying Holmes is it, but he may be better than what we have now.

Yep, I'm serious. Satele gets too much crap because he played injured most of the yr. Mike Chappell wrote about it after the season and shipley was very good when he got the chance to play.

we will be running more Zone this year then last year, and if Holmes improves kiss Mr. Head Bob goodbye

Don't start with the "head bob" nonsense. Virtually every center in the league does the exact same thing. Matt Birk, who just retired and is a future HOFer at center, head bobbed on every single snap of his career. It's a timing mechanism that centers use with the snap count. Like I said, virtually every center in football does it.

I hate this pick just for the simple fact that we do not pick again until the 6th round. I think will miss out on Jesse Williams, and impact WR, and RB.

Knowing his knee, WIlliams could be there. Injuries kill stocks. It's the worst thing for a prospect. 

I love how our biggest need the whole season And offseason has been o-line, and everyone complains when we go o-line in the draft... Lol

Picking up Donald Thomas and Cherilus has made our line tenfold better than it was. Those two are automatic starters. So that has left ONE position of need on our line, at G. 

Why did we need a center? We have Shipley and Staele, who will be embattled for the right to start come camp time.