Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Khaled Holmes, C from USC (4th Round)

Andy

looks like the guy is going to play guard. Scouting profile says he had trouble snapping the ball at USC. He also only able to do 13 reps on the bench at the combine.

USC center Khaled Holmes suffered a strained pectoral muscle on the bench press at combine, but it sounds like his injury is not as serious as Jefferson’s. Jason La Canfora of CBS reported that Holmes isn’t sure if he’ll be able to do the on-field work for offensive linemen on Saturday.

That's why he stopped and didn't do more

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny.....   that's what some people say about Holmes.    He was badly hurt last year.

He was very highly thought of before that having played extensively his first three years.  

Interesting that their profiles should be so similar......    Hmmmmm...........

It's not that I don't want more depth at O-line, I just do not think center was nearly the need many assume it was. Just because we drafted Holmes means nothing IMO as far as him being on the team next season. I don't see anyway we cut Satele. It would save very little money and would put almost 5 mil in dead cap space. It would be absolutely ludicrous to cut him now.

We have too many wr's now. Really wont need to draft reggie's replacement till 2014/15 cuz dhb should play well and signed long term and who knows brazil whalen or a guy that didnt play or much at all may break threw between now and then also. Just sayn.

Yep and don't forget that Whalen looked really solid last preseason in the playing time he got. I expect to see a lot more of him this year in the preseason.

USC center Khaled Holmes suffered a strained pectoral muscle on the bench press at combine, but it sounds like his injury is not as serious as Jefferson’s. Jason La Canfora of CBS reported that Holmes isn’t sure if he’ll be able to do the on-field work for offensive linemen on Saturday.

That's why he stopped and didn't do more

Stop with the facts buddy

Don't get the negativity. How good is Luck gonna look with the extra time.

He wouldn't need extra time if he got rid of the ball more quickly and if he could find his secondary receivers. Shoring up the OL will help a bit but it won't solve the entire problem....

Well, it is true that this is a passing league, but the teams that win the Super Bowl are the ones that run and stop the run better.  As long as we are one dimensional, we will only get so far.  A good oLineman and great QB make everything else flow.

One only has to look at the hated Patriots as an example.  They have much talent on the OLine.  So they have average running backs do well for them.  They have average WRs do well for them.  They do have good TEs.  And a great QB.

He wouldn't need extra time if he got rid of the ball more quickly and if he could find his secondary receivers. Shoring up the OL will help a bit but it won't solve the entire problem....

It's a combination. With Pep he will get rid of the ball more quickly, but having a good o-line with depth is important too.

Holmes was the first pick I wasn't a big fan of. He's got starter potential down the road, but he needs to get significantly stronger. His postseason workouts left me wondering if he bothered lifting at all at USC. He's not ready to play day 1, and we picked him over players who can contribute sooner and have better upside. Star made a lot of money off of how he abused Holmes when they played Utah.

IMO Grigson panicked after Jones was gone, so he took the next C too soon because the drop off after Holmes is even worse and he wasn't going to last until our 6th rounder.

So, this was our weakest pick of the draft, but I still love the Werner and Thornton choices. Hopefully Khaled works his tail off once he's here. If we need to keep him in the weight room using an invisible fence dog collar that shocks him when he leaves, so be it. 

It's not that I don't want more depth at O-line, I just do not think center was nearly the need many assume it was. Just because we drafted Holmes means nothing IMO as far as him being on the team next season. I don't see anyway we cut Satele. It would save very little money and would put almost 5 mil in dead cap space. It would be absolutely ludicrous to cut him now.

I don't quite get the pick either....    but I have great faith and Grigson and Pagano.

I'm not going to sit here and throw stones at the GM/HC over a 4th round pick that's designed to help our Franchise QB stay upright.

I think they know more than we do, and I think they've earned my trust....    Other may disagree,  but that's my view.....

Matt Miller- "4.23 (121) Indianapolis Colts—Khaled Holmes (C USC)

Holmes was my top-rated zone-blocking center in this draft class. In a non-ZBS scheme, I wouldn't have touched him until the seventh, but in the Colts' scheme, he should be fantastic. They had a need at the position and picked up the perfect player to fill it. I think he starts in his first year because of where he landed. (Grade A)"

Does he not realize we have a man blocking scheme?

Sorry man but an improved o-line solves 99 percent of offensive problems. More time to throw, better lanes and blocking in the running game... They go hand in hand

Matt Miller- "4.23 (121) Indianapolis Colts—Khaled Holmes (C USC)

Holmes was my top-rated zone-blocking center in this draft class. In a non-ZBS scheme, I wouldn't have touched him until the seventh, but in the Colts' scheme, he should be fantastic. They had a need at the position and picked up the perfect player to fill it. I think he starts in his first year because of where he landed. (Grade A)"

Does he not realize we have a man blocking scheme?

Ballard said we run both, similar to what he ran in college

Wont matter colts don't have a 5th round pick.

What does not having a 5th round pick have to do with it?  What? So the Colts don't have a 5th round pick so just pack it in? Go home? Don't pick no more?  The Colts gave up a #2 and a #5 pick for 2 starters. Why whine about that?? 

I don't quite get the pick either....    but I have great faith and Grigson and Pagano.

I'm not going to sit here and throw stones at the GM/HC over a 4th round pick that's designed to help our Franchise QB stay upright.

I think they know more than we do, and I think they've earned my trust....    Other may disagree,  but that's my view.....

Oh, I agree. I'm not completely sold on Werner, but have warmed up to him a bit over the last couple days and I loved the Thornton pick, but IMO a center that isn't very strong isn't a great pick IMO. Look, any player I don't like, I will always root for them to prove me wrong, but I will have doubts until they do. 

Funny how that problem follows Arians around

Satele is smaller than Holmes

I would hardly call 2 lbs smaller. They are virtually the same size and Satele has proven he can be a solid player when not injured like he was much of last season. I'm not completely sold on Satele either, but he deserves another chance next season when healthy. "Too small" may have been a poor choice of words...Too weak is what I meant.

WR is not a position of need.  Do you really think he'd be anything more than our 4th WR, if that?

I really thought the Colts would go Patton..Its not a need for this year, however, we took a flyer on Heyward-Bey, who is only signed for 1 year, and has yet to truly prove himself at in the NFL..Plus, Reggie isn't getting any younger..They say this kid's a Reggie clone, runs great routes, great hands, and is a play maker. Why not draft him, let him learn from the man he was molded  from for a year. IF Heyward-Bey doesn't pan out., we have a receiver with good size, speed hands and runs great routes...

Having said that..The Colts addressed a need type depth..which I'm ok with..just was a bit disappointed that the WR myself, and a lot of others wanted d our future WR was picked right after we took the USC center...

and maybe, this means that MR Head Bob Satele may not be what we thought, and now he's not being really wanted,,,

Oh, I agree. I'm not completely sold on Werner, but have warmed up to him a bit over the last couple days and I loved the Thornton pick, but IMO a center that isn't very strong isn't a great pick IMO. Look, any player I don't like, I will always root for them to prove me wrong, but I will have doubts until they do. 

I hear ya Balzer....and the pick surprised me too.

But let's let the coaches coach....technique, scheme fit or otherwise and get the kid on a strength program.

We have a GM who is a former O-lineman himself who hit a grand slam in the draft last year....and he must see something, so I can't proclaim a Day 3 draft pick as a failure before 1-2 seasons are in the books.

I would hardly call 2 lbs smaller. They are virtually the same size and Satele has proven he can be a solid player when not injured like he was much of last season. I'm not completely sold on Satele either, but he deserves another chance next season when healthy. "Too small" may have been a poor choice of words...Too weak is what I meant.

The NFL.com write up on Holmes actually lists his physical play as a strength, and nowhere does it mention weakness, or lacking physical strength to play at the next level.  To the contrary, they mention sustaining blocks, driving defenders back to the whistle.  With a strained pectoral he still fought through 15 reps before tapping out.  Honorable mention PAc-12 guard as a sophomore.  Smart guy academically.  Leader.  NFL.com also says second or third round value, and the Colts got him in the fourth.  I'm not as convinced he is too weak to play guard, or guard and center.  But if it's center, I agree Shipley or Satele won't remain on the roster.  I can't see the Colts keeping three centers.

The Werner pick is a good pick; at one point he was mocked to be a top 10 pick ( though who wasn't!). Remember, who heard of Paul Krueger until Pagano coached him up? We had a need for a pass rusher, but I would have liked to see a more traditional backer at that pick instead of an end we are going to try and convert. Hopefully we can coach him up and he'll be the stud he was at FSU.

I like the Thorton pick because the O-line was beyond weak and Luck got hit probably more than any other QB. Plus, going to more of a west coast run first offense with Pep, we need some maulers with attitude upfront which is exactly what Thorton is.

The Holmes pick is somewhat of a surprise, but that's why we aren't GM's. Hopefully he heals quickly and can make us stronger upfront. I like the idea of young talented lineman to grow with Luck and get some continuity like we had with Saturday, Lilja, Diem, & Glenn for so many years with Peyton.

Some people would like 2 have seen Patton drafted here. Patton is a great receiver but he is small and more of a slot guy. Plus he runs

far slower than a stud we already have named T.Y.

Overall I would give the Colts a B on the draft through the first 4 rounds. Let's see what we can dig up the rest of the day...

As always....LET'S GO COLTS!!!!