Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Select Hugh Thornton With 3rd Pick

krunk

Thornton (6-foot-3 1/4, 320) made 35 starts for the Illini, seeing time at both guard and tackle. He was Illinois' starting left tackle as a senior, although left guard will be Thornton's best NFL fit. He has 34 1/8-inch arms and ran 5.11 in Indy with 27 reps on the bench, so Thornton has athleticism, length, and strength -- and he plays nasty. Thornton's mother and sister were murdered in 2004 while he slept next door, and NFL scouts believe he takes out his internal anger on the field. Thornton could push Mike McGlynn for the right guard job.

Yep he plays nasty

That won't be so hard.  *I* could probably beat McGlynn for the spot. 

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No to keep from getting sacked.

Hard to imagine that our O-line can be as bad as last season. Cherilus, Thomas and now a guard not named Mike McGlynn....even if those guys are average...its an upgrade.

Mayock liked the pick. Guys been through some hard times in his life.

His off the field issues and a past knee injury reportedly had some teams take him off their board.

I didn't hear what the broadcasts said about his life....   but, when he was younger, he was in his bedroom and his mother and sister were stabbed to death in the room next to his....   he was abused (physically) by his father...   He apparently has lots of anger management issues.    Had a DUI at Illinois.

I didn't know if we would consider him?     But,  his on the field write-ups are very good.   Plus,  one report said this, which I loved....

"Football is very important to him."      You can read a lot of scouting reports and you don't often see that kind of sentence.

He can play right guard.   He can run block.   He can pass block.   He might be able to start as a rookie,  though it's not clear yet.    But certainly he's our RG of the future,  so let's hope the future is this September.

Good for Hugh Thornton.    Good for the Colts!

Can please some of the people some of the time, can't please all of the people all of the time. Always people to boohoo about our picks, nice.

Dudes big, strong, athletic and plays with a mean streak. SOLD!!

Sorry to hear about his family and past though. Sucks, good to see him make it through and make it a force within him.

I love his pick. Thornton is big strong and can manhandle his opponents. Much better pick than Barrett Jones as some have suggested and is a much better scheme fit for a man blocking scheme. Day 1 starter at RG.

He is a big one on one man from his wrestling days.hes not a rotational man as some have mentioned.Problem is I have heard Grigs say he will not start a rookie O-lineman.Not sure if he will stick to it once he sees hugh manhandle a few big bodies and watch McGlynn on his backside in TC.After being a wrestler the man has to have great hands and feet work 

I love this pick. Thornton is big strong and can manhandle his opponents. Much better pick than Barrett Jones as some have suggested and is a much better scheme fit for a man blocking scheme. Day 1 starter at RG.

I had to sneak on to say we mentioned him way back when....Joe Gilbert became OL coach.     

I think the kid is JUST what we need...mental toughness...320s of do not quit...

Joe Gilbert knows him well.....Jones must have some serious issues in recovery.  Love this pick!!!  :coltslogo:  :):coltslogo:

His off the field issues and a past knee injury reportedly had some teams take him off their board.

I didn't hear what the broadcasts said about his life.... but, when he was younger, he was in his bedroom and his mother and sister were stabbed to death in the room next to his.... he was abused (physically) by his father... He apparently has lots of anger management issues. Had a DUI at Illinois.

I didn't know if we would consider him? But, his on the field write-ups are very good. Plus, one report said this, which I loved....

"Football is very important to him." You can read a lot of scouting reports and you don't often see that kind of sentence.

He can play right guard. He can run block. He can pass block. He might be able to start as a rookie, though it's not clear yet. But certainly he's our RG of the future, so let's hope the future is this September.

Good for Hugh Thornton. Good for the Colts!

I think this is a very good team and fit for him. From the owner down we are more if a family. If he went to day the raiders, might turn out bad.

We hope, but we know that is not going to be. This OG will not start unless there are injuries. Bad pick.

Wayyyy to early to make that call but one bad pick doesn't destroy a line lol. We already improved it from last year.

Here's his Scout Bio from ESPN.com   He had a low 3rd round/high 4th round grade for them.

Overall Football Traits

Production 1 2009: (7/7) ROT 2010: (13/8) OG2011: (11/10) OG 2012: (11/10) LOT

Height-Weight-Speed 2 Good blend of height, weight and top-end speed. Has longer arms (34.1') and big hands (10).

Durability 3 Missed 2012 Penn State game with a knee injury. Missed 2011 Wisconsin and Michigan games with a knee injury.

Intangibles 4 Two-time Idaho State heavyweight wrestling champion and finished third in Ohio. Moved to Jamaica with mother and sisters after parents divorced. Moved in with father when he was 12. Visited mother for Christmas break that year. Mother and eight-year old sister found murdered in early January, 2004. Walked in on the scene. Strained relationship with father who spent time in prison in the 90s and twice placed with foster family. Thornton has also has some run-ins with law. Arrested following a fight at a bar in September of 2010. Admitted using someone else's ID to get into the bar. 2009 arrest for unlawful consumption of alcohol by a minor. Didn't play in the first quarter of the 2012 Wisconsin game and reason needs to be investigated further.

1 = EXCEPTIONAL2 = ABOVE AVERAGE3 = AVERAGE4 = BELOW AVERAGE5 = MARGINAL

Offensive Guard Specific Traits

Pass Protection 3 Above average upside. Quick and above average lateral mobility. Heavy hands and can knock edge rushers off course with powerful punch. Strong and big enough to hold ground at top of set. Effective cut blocker that can keep defensive lineman's hands down. Above average balance and flashes the ability to overcome sub-par footwork but footwork needs a lot of work. Doesn't always get enough depth with kick step and can get beat around the corner when lines up at tackle. Moves well but can get caught flat footed when edge rushers redirect inside. Vulnerable to speed to power.

Run Blocking 3 Takes too many false steps. Struggles to sustain at times. Doesn't always keep hips under him and hands can slide outside defender's frame. But above average upside here as well. Strong and can move defenders off the ball when keeps pads downs. Quick and athletic enough to develop into an above average zone blocker and can cover up linebackers at the second level. Above average range when asked to pull.

Awareness 4 Appears unsure of run blocking assignments at times. Late recognizing blitz. and can be too quick to commit to defenders in pass protection making him vulnerable to delayed blitzes. However, appears to show better awareness in pass protection late in the season.

Toughness 1 Aggressive mauler that blocks to the whistle and can get under defender's skin but doesn't appear to be a hothead prone to personal foul calls. Always looking for someone to hit and uncoils on linebackers at the second level. Looks to deliver kill shot when ever gets a chance to blind side defender in space or help guard out when no one comes to him in pass protection.

1 = EXCEPTIONAL2 = ABOVE AVERAGE3 = AVERAGE4 = BELOW AVERAGE5 = MARGINAL

I didn't hear what the broadcasts said about his life....   but, when he was younger, he was in his bedroom and his mother and sister were stabbed to death in the room next to his....   he was abused (physically) by his father...   He apparently has lots of anger management issues.    Had a DUI at Illinois.

I didn't know if we would consider him?     But,  his on the field write-ups are very good.   Plus,  one report said this, which I loved....

"Football is very important to him."      You can read a lot of scouting reports and you don't often see that kind of sentence.

He can play right guard.   He can run block.   He can pass block.   He might be able to start as a rookie,  though it's not clear yet.    But certainly he's our RG of the future,  so let's hope the future is this September.

Good for Hugh Thornton.    Good for the Colts!

Thanks for the write up.  At the very least, we'll have some great competition for the G spot.  I'm still pulling for Ijalana and hope Anderson can really play too.  Not to mention hoping Reitz can finally stay healthy.

Hard to imagine that our O-line can be as bad as last season. Cherilus, Thomas and now a guard not named Mike McGlynn....even if those guys are average...its an upgrade.

Cherilus- one good season, before that Stafford had to run for his life.

Thomas- perennial back-up.  Don't know if can give us 16 games.

This new OG- not that good or would have been drafted higher.  Probably will not start this year except because of injuries.

Thornton is #72 in this video of Illinois vs Michigan. It appears at times that he also plays tackle unless my eyes were deceiving me.

Haven't looked at the video yet but from what I've heard he's played both tackle positions.

Seems fairly versatile - the knock on him as a guard seems to be that he's maybe a bit too tall and bends too much.

Uh...

Well, those sound like positive tackle traits, actually.

not that good or would have been drafted higher.

Um...

Just to point out the flaw in this logic...

If everything after, say, the second round was worthless, why wouldn't every team in the NFL be trying to trade their 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7th round picks for a late first or early second?

We shouldn't have drafted a guy in the third round because any guy getting picked in the third round sucks because he didn't get picked in the second round?  I honestly can't come up with anything more creative to say than "your argument is hella dumb."

Cherilus- one good season, before that Stafford had to run for his life.

Thomas- perennial back-up. Don't know if can give us 16 games.

This new OG- not that good or would have been drafted higher. Probably will not start this year except because of injuries.

Your kind of depressing lol.

why is okafor still available? i dont know much of college game but everyone kept mentioning him

I told people repeatedly that Okafor was a 4th rd. prospect. He's slow, stiff, has no pass rush moves at all, and is terrible against the run. That pretty much wraps it up. He sucks IMO.

No. Just do not believe in wasting draft picks.  This should have been taken care of last nite and not as an after thought.

lolwut?  Everything after the first round is an "afterthought"?  You have to fill all your team's needs in the first round?

Go to sleep, seriously, you'll feel better in the morning, other than the massive hangover obviously.