Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Did Pats Make a Mistake Paying Gronk all those millions?

amfootball

This has been something I have been meaning to post for awhile but I think the Pats may have made a huge mistake signing Gronk to that huge contract last year. The guy had injury issues in college and now has missed significant time this past season coupled with his ankle injury two seasons ago costing the Pats a chance at another ring. He seems like he is not that committed to his off-season work program which may be why he keeps getting dinged up.

I really wish they went and got a legit big boy on the outside like a Julio Jones and not a TE. I think this one may really cost them down the line.

Thoughts?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the mistake they made was paying both Gronk and Hernandez around the same time frame.

They should have franchised one of them, just like they did with Welker, and gone after Greg Jennings which would have been a terrific pick up and would not have had to deal with the inflated ego or price of a Mike Wallace, IMO.

If Greg Jennings got $40 mil. for 5 yrs with the Pats vs the $47 mil. for 5 yrs with the Vikes, my bets would have been on him going to the Pats.

Now, Pats better send Bibi Jones to Gronk's rehab facility to jumpstart his rehab :).

No. They have insurance. No one could predict those injuries. Plus they have the Giants TE they snatched last year. They will feel his absence but if he comes back it will be a HUGE lift to the offense. We have seen two years in a row in the playoffs without him how much the team suffers. He is the X-FACTOR on that offense. 

No. They have insurance. No one could predict those injuries. Plus they have the Giants TE they snatched last year. They will feel his absence but if he comes back it will be a HUGE lift to the offense. We have seen two years in a row in the playoffs without him how much the team suffers. He is the X-FACTOR on that offense. 

He is a great talent. But honestly all last year he did not look like the same guy as 2011. I know part of it was the fact that Pats asked him to block more as they developed a run game but he just was not as explosive especially down the field.

He is a great talent. But honestly all last year he did not look like the same guy as 2011. I know part of it was the fact that Pats asked him to block more as they developed a run game but he just was not as explosive especially down the field.

that happen to Colts clrk one year  when asked to block the likes of Mario Williams , etc then again Painter was also the QB i belive that year, but it did rough him up some

No I do not think so . . .welker was likely on the way out the door and we basically don't have anything on offense . . . unlike Graham and Watson in the first half of last decade, these two have both proven to be valuable assets to the offense . . . . and having lost Branch and Givens to thier first big contract . . . it was wize to lock up your two best young assets early and then you can fill in around them . . . who knew that both would get injured . . . it would be one thing if Gronk's bad injury flare up, but when was the last time you saw a broken arm on a PAT? . . . .

On one hand we are cheap to let poeple go, then on the other hand we are being questioned about then signing people . . . we'll have to wait and see . . . .

They made a mistake running it up against us and getting his arm broken.

well they actually didn't . . . kind of tough not to score when you get the ball on the opponents 39 yard line with 7 and half minutes to go . . . there is too much time and not enough real estate to run the clock out and not to score, unless you take a knee and punt . . . Gronk wasn't even in the last series, he just came out for the PAT, a play in which a injury rarely if ever occurs . .. interesting had he not been put in and a replacement brought in who say missed a block and our kicker got injuried there would the same poeple crying why did you take gronk out otherwise your kicker would be healthy . . .

hind sight is always 20/20 . . .

not sure how that is funny, but I would direct your attention to my prior post, post #16 . . .

Just funny to me cause I can't stand the pats at all there isn't one fan who dislikes them more plus they have been known to run the score up against multiple teams

well they actually didn't . . . kind of tough not to score when you get the ball on the opponents 39 yard line with 7 and half minutes to go . . . there is too much time and not enough real estate to run the clock out and not to score, unless you take a knee and punt . . . Gronk wasn't even in the last series, he just came out for the PAT, a play in which a injury rarely if ever occurs . .. interesting had he not been put in and a replacement brought in who say missed a block and our kicker got injuried there would the same poeple crying why did you take gronk out otherwise your kicker would be healthy . . .

hind sight is always 20/20 . . .

If your kicker was injured not a single person would be crying for you to put Gronk in on a PAT.

Make a mistake signing them? Are you kidding? Lets not sign anyone over a million or so in case they get injured.

Once again injuries are part of the game, part of the $$ and cap.

Good point JJ ,its something you cant forsee,if it was nobody would ever get injured would they?So if you put money in any player the risk is there,but if you want to win you have to risk

Just funny to me cause I can't stand the pats at all there isn't one fan who dislikes them more plus they have been known to run the score up against multiple teams

what do you mean by running up the score? . . . how have they played any different than other teams with leads? . . . like for example team A has its starters in at the 8 min mark of the 4th qtr leading by say 28 and team B has its starters in at the 8 min mark of the 4th qtr leading by say 28 . . . which is team is running up the score? or are they simple acting the same . . . ? please advise . . . my answer is you can not tell and both teams are doing the same thing and one is not more evil than the other . . .  

If your kicker was injured not a single person would be crying for you to put Gronk in on a PAT.

unless of coarse the replacement missed a block that gronk would have made, which is my point . . . we can go round and round all day on this . . .

No such thing as running up the score. The offense is paid to score and the defense is paid to stop them. Not the offense's fault if the defense isn't earning their money...

what do you mean by running up the score? . . . how have they played any different than other teams with leads? . . . like for example team A has its starters in at the 8 min mark of the 4th qtr leading by say 28 and team B has its starters in at the 8 min mark of the 4th qtr leading by say 28 . . . which is team is running up the score? or are they simple acting the same . . . ? please advise . . . my answer is you can not tell and both teams are doing the same thing and one is not more evil than the other . . .

I don't get wat you are trying to say I just mean if the pats are up big in the 4th take the starters out but they don't they just lay it on teams like AZ BUF NYJ in the past just sayin my point is just they have been known to run the score up on teams and that causes more football fans to strongly dislike the pats there have been quite a few times the pats have been very unsportsmanlike

No such thing as running up the score. The offense is paid to score and the defense is paid to stop them. Not the offense's fault if the defense isn't earning their money...

There is such a thing when you are ahead by a margin that the opponent can't come back from and you are still playing your starters that's very unsportsmanlike and most teams and fans don't like it just put the backups in and take the win

unless of coarse the replacement missed a block that gronk would have made, which is my point . . . we can go round and round all day on this . . .

No, nobody would be saying that you should've had Gronkowski out there. Because you shouldn't have.

There is such a thing when you are ahead by a margin that the opponent can't come back from and you are still playing your starters that's very unsportsmanlike and most teams and fans don't like it just put the backups in and take the win

The Patriots use games like extra practices, seeing what works and what doesn't. Again, no team is obligated to pull starters. If the defense doesn't like the scoring, they should do something about it.