Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Did Pats Make a Mistake Paying Gronk all those millions?

amfootball

Anyone can get injured on any play. $___ Happens. They locked Gronk up because when healthy, the guy is a stud. They should've done the same thing with Welker instead of dinking him around.

They signed Welker to a five year deal when he was 26 years old. That is locking him up, no? Then two years ago they offered him a two year deal at $8mil a year which he turned down so they franchised him. This past off-season, they offered him another two year deal at $5mil a year. He left for $1mil more a year. Only so much the Pats can do. Welker did not want to stay or he and his agent grossly miscalculated the market for a 31 year old receiver.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They signed Welker to a five year deal when he was 26 years old. That is locking him up, no? Then two years ago they offered him a two year deal at $8mil a year which he turned down so they franchised him. This past off-season, they offered him another two year deal at $5mil a year. He left for $1mil more a year. Only so much the Pats can do. Welker did not want to stay or he and his agent grossly miscalculated the market for a 31 year old receiver.

I'm talking about the last deal that went down. The Pats obviously rubbed Welker the wrong way or he wouldn't have left. $1M more is not that much to the NFL, but it's still more money than Pats were willing to offer.

I'm talking about the last deal that went down. The Pats obviously rubbed Welker the wrong way or he wouldn't have left. $1M more is not that much to the NFL, but it's still more money than Pats were willing to offer.

Maybe they rubbed him the wrong way or maybe he rubbed them the wrong way. I really think things broke down a couple of years ago when he did that silly press conference where he kept mentioning foot or feet to make fun of the Rex Ryan foot fetish video that had just surfaced. He was benched for the start of the playoff game against the Jets as a result and of course the Pats lost that game so I think they were pretty annoyed with him. That off-season is when they offered him the two year deal worth $16 mil which was above market for a 31 year old slot receiver. He turned it down hoping to get either more money or more years instead he got the same amount of years and less money to sign with the Broncs. His wife by the way is from Colorado, They got married out there last year so he was probably going to sign there regardless of whether the Pats matched the deal or not.

But to your larger point about the Pats locking him up, they did just that when he was in prime at 26 years old and also gave up a 2 and a 7 pick to the Fins. Rarely if ever do the Pats offer long term contracts to players over 30 with Brady being the obvious exception. Especially a slot receiver with the kind of mileage Welker has him not to mention the ACL injury.

Maybe they rubbed him the wrong way or maybe he rubbed them the wrong way. I really think things broke down a couple of years ago when he did that silly press conference where he kept mentioning foot or feet to make fun of the Rex Ryan foot fetish video that had just surfaced. He was benched for the start of the playoff game against the Jets as a result and of course the Pats lost that game so I think they were pretty annoyed with him. That off-season is when they offered him the two year deal worth $16 mil which was above market for a 31 year old slot receiver. He turned it down hoping to get either more money or more years instead he got the same amount of years and less money to sign with the Broncs. His wife by the way is from Colorado, They got married out there last year so he was probably going to sign there regardless of whether the Pats matched the deal or not.

But to your larger point about the Pats locking him up, they did just that when he was in prime at 26 years old and also gave up a 2 and a 7 pick to the Fins. Rarely if ever do the Pats offer long term contracts to players over 30 with Brady being the obvious exception. Especially a slot receiver with the kind of mileage Welker has him not to mention the ACL injury.

As much as Belichick would NEVER say it...

I honestly believe that Welker's two most infamous drops (one in the SB, one against the Ravens last year) have plenty to do with him leaving town. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying that Belichick probably feels that way. Of the hundreds of balls he caught in NE, those two were possibly the worst ones to not hold on to!

As much as Belichick would NEVER say it...

I honestly believe that Welker's two most infamous drops (one in the SB, one against the Ravens last year) have plenty to do with him leaving town. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying that Belichick probably feels that way. Of the hundreds of balls he caught in NE, those two were possibly the worst ones to not hold on to!

Yes, I think those two drops factored in but Bill is pretty much all business when it comes to these things. He did in fact offer Welker a two year contract twice. He was exactly right on the market for Wes as the only other team that came to the table were the Broncs and they pretty much did it to take Welker from Brady and give Manning a younger slot guy but really they only paid him a mil more per year. Being clutch though and playing good situational football are paramount to Bill so Wes probably did hurt his value with those drops.

QLdCn.gif

I have no idea what this picture means Lollygager, but it made me laugh. "Make it so #1 engage?"  haha  In other words, failing to sign Welker to a longterm deal sent the NE franchise into a tailspin of chaos? I'm just guessing man. Still bleeping hilarious though... :lol:  :funny:

I have no idea what this picture means Lollygager, but it made me laugh. "Make it so #1 engage?"  haha  In other words, failing to sign Welker to a longterm deal sent the NE franchise into a tailspin of chaos? I'm just guessing man. Still bleeping hilarious though... :lol:  :funny:

It means this is what happens when trying to decypher what amfootball is talking about lol. First he said Welker made more going to Broncos, then he says he made less. 

It means this is what happens when trying to decypher what amfootball is talking about lol. First he said Welker made more going to Broncos, then he says he made less. 

Okay, thanks for clearing up the mystery Lollygager. I get it now. I failed to read the post closely enough the 1st time. Don't be too hard on amfootball though. He's a decent guy who simply loves Tom Brady & the Patriots. Hades, I still take heat for wanting Manning to do well vs the Colts. I admire loyalty & even though amfootball made a syntax mistake more vs less; he has been consistent in his Patriots admiration. I say stuff backwards all the time. Sometimes, my enthusiasm crushes my logic. It happens to the best of us man.

Darn, the expression of that cat's face cracks me up though... :D  lmao If there's a mother load curse word for a feline that cat is screaming it right there like a little kid shouting on a rollercoster man...

QLdCn.gif

Perhaps I should have clafified. I though you could have put two and two together from my previous post. THe Pats offered Welker a two year deal in 2010 at 8 mil year over two years which he turned down. He then signed with the Broncs last year for 6mi a year over two years which is less than if he just signed with the Pats two years ago. This past off-season with Welker being a year older and the market falling because of the flat cap, the Pats offered him two years at 5mil but he signed with the Broncs for a mil more so he did make a mil more a year by going to the Broncs but had he just signed with the Pats two seasons ago he would have made the 8mil a year.

I didnt think this was this hard to understand. But feel free to post another crazy pic...

tumblr_lldhbzcCcK1qg1a4d.gif

we can post pics all day long and twice on Sundays, but the bottom line, whether some pats fans what to admit it or not, the pats FO rarely misses the dollar value of a individual player . . .  and whether some fans love or hate welker or look to his production to the team, his position has a market value, whether you think it is fair or not . . . and the pats did offer the offers that AM was mentioning, and Welker turned them down . . . the Pats then made another offer this off season and Welker turned it down . . . and we can not be so short sighted and just looked at recent events, but look over the entire contract talks between the two parties . . . and Welker would have been better off signing the two year at 8 mil per year deal, but he did not . . . the patriots had the market value of welker correct when they offered that contract and were not being mean or undercutting him no matter how you slice it or what a cat in space thinks about the deal . . .

I think his agent thought he was worth more than he was and it ended up not being this way and now he is in Denver and we have a younger player at that position . . . things happen . . .

Cats in space crack me up though.

Look I'm just pointing out AM said Welker made more, then he posts that he made less. That didn't make any sense, so he got the crazy cat pic lol sorry just pointing it out. I don't care about the Pats, Welker, contracts whatever...but just so we can put this "cat" to bed I Googled it for you......

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Broncos agreed with Welker on a two-year contract worth $12 million, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. The deal also includes $150,000 in incentives in each year if he catches 90 passes.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

According to Albert Breer of NFL.com, the Patriots added several contract incentives in their final offer, all of which had very aggressive targets. While the total value of the deal could have reached $16 million over two years, Welker would have had to hit the following escalators:

-All-Pro in each of the two years, $1 million

-1,500 receiving yards in each of the two years, $1 million

-Pro Bowl starter in 2014, $1 million

-1,300 yards in 2013, $1 million

Welker has been All-Pro four times and a Pro Bowler five times, but only once has he cracked 1,500 receiving yards (2011). In his 10th NFL season, Welker hitting all of the incentives would have been near impossible.

Of course, this all means that Welker's deal in New England was never going to be worth $16 million. 

It's very obvious who offered Welker the better deal and Welker is MAKING MORE $$$$ in Denver.

Cats in space crack me up though.

Look I'm just pointing out AM said Welker made more, then he posts that he made less. That didn't make any sense, so he got the crazy cat pic lol sorry just pointing it out. I don't care about the Pats, Welker, contracts whatever...but just so we can put this "cat" to bed I Googled it for you......

The Broncos agreed with Welker on a two-year contract worth $12 million, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. The deal also includes $150,000 in incentives in each year if he catches 90 passes.

According to Albert Breer of NFL.com, the Patriots added several contract incentives in their final offer, all of which had very aggressive targets. While the total value of the deal could have reached $16 million over two years, Welker would have had to hit the following escalators:

-All-Pro in each of the two years, $1 million

-1,500 receiving yards in each of the two years, $1 million

-Pro Bowl starter in 2014, $1 million

-1,300 yards in 2013, $1 million

Welker has been All-Pro four times and a Pro Bowler five times, but only once has he cracked 1,500 receiving yards (2011). In his 10th NFL season, Welker hitting all of the incentives would have been near impossible.

Of course, this all means that Welker's deal in New England was never going to be worth $16 million. 

It's very obvious who offered Welker the better deal and Welker is MAKING MORE $$$$ in Denver.

yes this is true, but these are the offers that were on the table in 2013 . . . but had he taken the offer from a few years ago of 8 mil per year for two years, he would be in his second year of that contract making a fat 8 mil per year in NE which would be more than the 6 mil he is making in Denver this year . . . so no he would unlikely be making more money in NE with the contracts offered this year, but had he taken an earlier NE offer, yes he would be making more money this year in NE than Denver . .. . so it really is a yes and no as there are two NE offers that are in the discussion . . .

meow . . . :kitty:

And as a quick footnote, more often than not to get a player away from his present team, like trying to get an employer to take a job with ones firm, you will more likely than not have to offer more money as the case with Den and NE contracts from this year . .  .

and as a second footnote, if he was in his second year of that 2-8 mil contract and was offered the 5 mil for next year (2014), his combined '13 and '14 would be 8 + 5 or 13 mil over the next two years which would be more than Denver's 12 mil for the next two years . . .