Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

candidates for training camp cuts

BronxColtNYC

Alright captologists. I received an inbox asking what current "big money" players if cut before June 1st would save us money. Here you go!

Please read: I am not saying these players will be cut, I'm just showing how some.cuts would make more financial sense than others.

Largest Cap Savings if Cut:

[NOTE - These are the cap savings of the individual player cut ONLY. For the team impact, you need to replace them with at least a minimum wage cap hit guy so for the true "team" savings, you need to subtract $ 480k from the below numbers to account for their replacement.]

Cory Redding……………if cut before June 1st = $ 1,716,666...if June 1st cut = $ 2,608,333 (plus $ 891,667 2014 dead money)

Jeff Linkenbach……….if cut before June 1st = $ 1,323,000….if June 1st cut = $ 1,323,000

Cassius Vaughn……….if cut before June 1st = $ 1,323,000….if June 1st cut = $ 1,323,000

Mike McGlynn…….…..if cut before June 1st = $ 1,225,000….if June 1st cut = $ 1,025,000

Adam Vinatieri………..if cut before June 1st = $800,000…..…if June 1st cut = $ 600,000

Donald Brown…………if cut before June 1st = $ 690,000……..if June 1st cut = $690,000

Samson Satele…………if cut before June 1st = $ 566,000…....if June 1st cut = $ 1,532,667 (plus $1,066,667 2014 dead money)

So, at best, we could see Link get beat out for backup O-Line, Vaughn get beat out for CB4 and McGlynn cut which would deliver the Colts team an additional $ 2.431m in cap space once they are replaced with minimum wage guys. Any other cut would be a pretty big surprise in my book.

Discuss...

Colts could still make a move after TC to all you Brandon Moore lovers.

Interesting note... I think (can't prove) the Colts would rather have a young guy than an old guy, despite how good the old guy has played. Just from what they have done so far with the new front office.

Now after the draft, if the Colts can't get the guy they want for the O line, they just might make a run at Moore. Grigson doesn't want to be kicking himself if he signs Moore and then is able to draft Warmack, Cooper, Fluker, Warford, etc. Any of those younger players will be cheaper (and quite possibly better) than Moore over the next 5 years. If he's still available and we don't find an upgrade in the draft, I would expect him to be signed and McGlynn cut. That is assuming some other team with the same plan doesn't get to him first.

Alright captologists. I received an inbox asking what current "big money" players if cut before June 1st would save us money. Here you go!

Please read: I am not saying these players will be cut, I'm just showing how some.cuts would make more financial sense than others.

[NOTE - These are the cap savings of the individual player cut ONLY. For the team impact, you need to replace them with at least a minimum wage cap hit guy so for the true "team" savings, you need to subtract $ 480k from the below numbers to account for their replacement.]

Cory Redding……………if cut before June 1st = $ 1,716,666...if June 1st cut = $ 2,608,333 (plus $ 891,667 2014 dead money)

Jeff Linkenbach……….if cut before June 1st = $ 1,323,000….if June 1st cut = $ 1,323,000

Cassius Vaughn……….if cut before June 1st = $ 1,323,000….if June 1st cut = $ 1,323,000

Mike McGlynn…….…..if cut before June 1st = $ 1,225,000….if June 1st cut = $ 1,025,000

Adam Vinatieri………..if cut before June 1st = $800,000…..…if June 1st cut = $ 600,000

Donald Brown…………if cut before June 1st = $ 690,000……..if June 1st cut = $690,000

Samson Satele…………if cut before June 1st = $ 566,000…....if June 1st cut = $ 1,532,667 (plus $1,066,667 2014 dead money)

So, at best, we could see Link get beat out for backup O-Line, Vaughn get beat out for CB4 and McGlynn cut which would deliver the Colts team an additional $ 2.431m in cap space once they are replaced with minimum wage guys. Any other cut would be a pretty big surprise in my book.

Discuss...

All good information again, I really should sit down one day and go over numbers properly to get my head round the cap.

Liking these posts, are you sure you're not FJC incarnate?  :P

I think Vaughn, Linkenbach and McGlynn may have nightmares of being cut. I think McGlynn depends on draft.

Could be, but McGlynn has versatility going for him.

I think we have 76 on the roster now. We add 6 more with the draft and 8 FAs (my math may be off, correct me if I'm wrong).

I did my early 53 guess the other day. Satele and Shipley are both on the bubble IMO.

I think we have 76 on the roster now. We add 6 more with the draft and 8 FAs (my math may be off, correct me if I'm wrong).

I did my early 53 guess the other day. Satele and Shipley are both on the bubble IMO.

Today, hard to see a scenario where McGlynn makes the team.  Back-up linemen on the roster today (assume we keep 4): Reitz, Shipley, Ijalana, Anderson, Link, Sowell are all names that I'd expect to be kept ahead of McGlynn...if Ijalana and Anderson are healthy.  All that before we draft anyone.

Today, hard to see a scenario where McGlynn makes the team.  Back-up linemen on the roster today (assume we keep 4): Reitz, Shipley, Ijalana, Anderson, Link, Sowell are all names that I'd expect to be kept ahead of McGlynn...if Ijalana and Anderson are healthy.  All that before we draft anyone.

I hope you're correct, simply because it means the line would really be improved.

McGlynn is the projected starter. There has to be a significant difference in play for him to not even make the team. Especially since he can play C too.

Hard to see Ijalana's knee holding up...........Anderson was hurt last year and on the PuP and then spent the rest of the year on IR I thought?  McGlynn (while no safe bet) has the 'ability' to play all three interior line positions so he will probably stick around as a glue player, just like Linkenbach.  Offensive lineman that show they can handle multiple spots, even if they don't play well at any particular one tend to stick around whether we like it or not!

Hard to see Ijalana's knee holding up...........Anderson was hurt last year and on the PuP and then spent the rest of the year on IR I thought?  McGlynn (while no safe bet) has the 'ability' to play all three interior line positions so he will probably stick around as a glue player, just like Linkenbach.  Offensive lineman that show they can handle multiple spots, even if they don't play well at any particular one tend to stick around whether we like it or not!

It is just an opinion, and there are multiple scenarios, as you suggest, that McGlynn could make this team.  but being the incumbent on paper doesn't mean much given the mindset that Grigson is in right now.  He is clearly an excellent teammate and glue guy.  It just looks like there is too much talent around him, and Link is a more talented swiss army knife than he is (as much as folks hate to admit it).  For that matter, Link's roster spot is very much in doubt at this phase as well.  If Anderson and Ijalana are deemed healthy, none of us could argue that they won't be given the nod as back-ups over vets that have proven they aren't talented enough to start in this league and who cost more.

It is just an opinion, and there are multiple scenarios, as you suggest, that McGlynn could make this team.  but being the incumbent on paper doesn't mean much given the mindset that Grigson is in right now.  He is clearly an excellent teammate and glue guy.  It just looks like there is too much talent around him, and Link is a more talented swiss army knife than he is (as much as folks hate to admit it).  For that matter, Link's roster spot is very much in doubt at this phase as well.  If Anderson and Ijalana are deemed healthy, none of us could argue that they won't be given the nod as back-ups over vets that have proven they aren't talented enough to start in this league and who cost more.

I don't disagree IF they are healthy!  But, we (as fans) just need to wrap our mind around keeping one or both of Link and McGlynn because two SOMEONES have to beat them out!  Would I like to see two someones out of Ijalana, Anderson, Sowell, Griffin or Ziemba (and possibly a rookie draft pick or udfa) make a push and leap frog them, absolutely, because that will be better for the team..............not just because I don't like Link and McGlynn's play!  I'm no saint however, because, I was hoping that Olsen would trip and hurt himself so they would get him off the field! Ha!

I don't disagree IF they are healthy!  But, we (as fans) just need to wrap our mind around keeping one or both of Link and McGlynn because two SOMEONES have to beat them out!  Would I like to see two someones out of Ijalana, Anderson, Sowell, Griffin or Ziemba (and possibly a rookie draft pick or udfa) make a push and leap frog them, absolutely, because that will be better for the team..............not just because I don't like Link and McGlynn's play!  I'm no saint however, because, I was hoping that Olsen would trip and hurt himself so they would get him off the field! Ha!

I have no emotion for seeing either stay or go - I like both and appreciate what they've been able to contribute in this league.  I'm not looking to measure our progress by their dismissal.  We'll probably draft a guard that can also play center or even one of each.  That is one or two more guys that will probably make the roster before you even count the competition on the depth chart.  It is just a numbers game, and once cut McGlynn and Link can be re-signed for vet minimum - that is the price teams will pay for their services.

So is this thread is for just for training camp cuts(money wise) or potential playing wise training camp cuts also?

It started about money..........but, Link and McGlynn are two of the fella's listed as making the most sense monetarily to cut - and the discussion is concerning whether their talent warrants a roster spot, even as a back-up.

Discuss...

Good list and I know from the start you said you aren't calling for these guys to be cut and I am not trying to suggest you are but I see ZERO chance Redding is released.  He played very well for us last year and I think is important to the Colts going forward. 

Anyone else on that list I think could be cut under the right scenario.  With that said I think it's a pretty long shot we cut Adam but I wouldn't completely rule it out but again I think that's a long shot.  I also think Donald Brown's chances probably depend on what happens if the draft.  If we draft a running back, particularly high then I think his chances of being released go up but since he's in the last year of his deal he is probably safe. 

Anyone else probably depends on how he preforms in camp or pre-season.  Unless something unexpected happens though I don't think any of them will be pre-June 1st cut. 

Brandon McKinney is almost guaranteed to be cut as well.  Saves $1 mill net ~ 500K toward the cap.  All in all, I'd expect to recoup 3+ mill in cap space with final roster cuts.  That will make a very nice contribution toward 2014 cap carryover.

Brandon McKinney is almost guaranteed to be cut as well.  Saves $1 mill net ~ 500K toward the cap.  All in all, I'd expect to recoup 3+ mill in cap space with final roster cuts.  That will make a very nice contribution toward 2014 cap carryover.

I could see him being cut but I am not sure it's a sure thing.  Again, I think the Colts would at least like to see him play.  The Colts don't look to be hurting for money either right now or going forward at least next year.  While you can always use more I am not sure the Colts are going to be cutting players that they like at least till the pre-season happens.  With that said I don't think McKinney is a sure thing to make the roster but I don't think he's a lock to be cut either. 

I could see him being cut but I am not sure it's a sure thing.  Again, I think the Colts would at least like to see him play.  The Colts don't look to be hurting for money either right now or going forward at least next year.  While you can always use more I am not sure the Colts are going to be cutting players that they like at least till the pre-season happens.  With that said I don't think McKinney is a sure thing to make the roster but I don't think he's a lock to be cut either. 

Chapman, Franklin, Tevaseu, McKinney - We might keep 3 but probably only 2.  McKinney probably can't beat out Tevaseu, but might, and he's #3.  The deciding factor for me is that McKinney was behind AJ when he was healthy. I'm no AJ hater, I like him and thought he was a solid contributor, but he was learning a new position and if McKinney couldn't beat him for the top spot at a position he knows in the same system he's been in, then he probably can't beat out the man we signed to replace AJ when AJ is still available either, especially coming off an ACL.  It all adds up as a lock to cut him by those calculations.

Cut Luck.

Not funny? It's a Monday cut me some slack........

Just so you know, that's an $18m cap penalty, since his contract is fully guaranteed. And there are no offsets, so unless he's in direct breach of contract somehow, he ain't gettin' cut.

Ooooh I wish he would.

Just so you know, that's an $18m cap penalty, since his contract is fully guaranteed. And there are no offsets, so unless he's in direct breach of contract somehow, he ain't gettin' cut.

I'm not seeing the downside with anything you said.....

I can't see both Centers being on the bubble.  Are you assuming we are going center somewhere in the draft? I think Shipley is decent with upside ... Satele I would love to see replaced either by Shipley stepping up or by someone else we bring in.

It started about money..........but, Link and McGlynn are two of the fella's listed as making the most sense monetarily to cut - and the discussion is concerning whether their talent warrants a roster spot, even as a back-up.

I don't think Link is going anywhere... the front office and coaching staff seem to like him a lot more/see something that the fans do not.  He also makes sense as a backup ...although he really doesn't excel at any single position; the fact he can play any position in pinch increases his value.

I can't see both Centers being on the bubble.  Are you assuming we are going center somewhere in the draft? I think Shipley is decent with upside ... Satele I would love to see replaced either by Shipley stepping up or by someone else we bring in.

I was thinking that with their injury histories, both need to show they can stay healthy. I was at one game where it looked like Shipley needed crutches to make it to the huddle. He did play well though.

I'm not seeing the downside with anything you said.....

Doesn't really matter; Luck ain't gettin' cut. But I just wanted to point out what it would cost us, assuming he doesn't break his back skiing or something (which is a direct breach of contract).

Knock on wood, of course...

Doesn't really matter; Luck ain't gettin' cut. But I just wanted to point out what it would cost us, assuming he doesn't break his back skiing or something (which is a direct breach of contract).

Knock on wood, of course...

I know I was just kidding lol.

Chapman, Franklin, Tevaseu, McKinney - We might keep 3 but probably only 2.  McKinney probably can't beat out Tevaseu, but might, and he's #3.  The deciding factor for me is that McKinney was behind AJ when he was healthy. I'm no AJ hater, I like him and thought he was a solid contributor, but he was learning a new position and if McKinney couldn't beat him for the top spot at a position he knows in the same system he's been in, then he probably can't beat out the man we signed to replace AJ when AJ is still available either, especially coming off an ACL.  It all adds up as a lock to cut him by those calculations.

That's kinda my point we are grading these guys without really seeing them play in our defense other than Tevaseu.  That's why I expect McKinney to get a look at least for camp and the pre-season.  I don't think he's a lock to make the final roster but I do think the Colts will give him a look. 

Grigson has publicly praised mcglynn for his "mean streak". Hard to be mean when you're constantly getting bull rushed.

Darn, I should've added McKinney, I knew I was forgetting somebody.