Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

"The Donald Brown Project"

jshipp23

After 4 years of failure it's time to cut bait, short of cutting him and eationg his 2 million dollar salary I would trade him for a 7th round pick if we can even find any takers...His 1 attribute is speed...He has zero vision, no awareness, no power, is injury prone and made of glass, and is below average at best as a receiver as he always is too worried about getting hit and turns head to check for defenders and drops many balls that could have been big plays..3 out of his 4 years his avg per carry was under 4 yards..3 out of 4 years he has run for less than 500 yards...The most receptions he has had in a season is 20..The most TD's he has had in a season is 5, and last year he had 9 catches and 1 TD and for all his speed his longest run was 19 yards...Their are 20 backs in rounds 1 thru 7 that could come in day 1 and be more productive..I would even rather have Denard Robinson in rounds 6 or 7 and convert him to RB and he would provide more production and big plays than Brown...Thoughts and Opinions???

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we don't have Brown our RB depth chart would look as such;

Vick Ballard

Delone Carter

Alvester Alexander

He was definitely not worth a first round pick, but this is a contract year, and it's not like saving the 1M or so we would by cutting him would offer much cap space to where it would be worth it. When Ballard gets tired I would much rather give Brown carries than Alexander, just for the simple fact that Brown does not leave a lot of yards on the field. He gets what he can get from the blocking he is presented.

If we don't have Brown our RB depth chart would look as such;

Vick Ballard

Delone Carter

Alvester Alexander

He was definitely not worth a first round pick, but this is a contract year, and it's not like saving the 1M or so we would by cutting him would offer much cap space to where it would be worth it. When Ballard gets tired I would much rather give Brown carries than Alexander, just for the simple fact that Brown does not leave a lot of yards on the field. He gets what he can get from the blocking he is presented.

We can replace him in the draft round 7, and I never said cut him, I said trade him for whatever pick we can get....I know we need someone else..

After 4 years of failure it's time to cut bait, short of cutting him and eationg his 2 million dollar salary I would trade him for a 7th round pick if we can even find any takers...His 1 attribute is speed...He has zero vision, no awareness, no power, is injury prone and made of glass, and is below average at best as a receiver as he always is too worried about getting hit and turns head to check for defenders and drops many balls that could have been big plays..3 out of his 4 years his avg per carry was under 4 yards..3 out of 4 years he has run for less than 500 yards...The most receptions he has had in a season is 20..The most TD's he has had in a season is 5, and last year he had 9 catches and 1 TD and for all his speed his longest run was 19 yards...Their are 20 backs in rounds 1 thru 7 that could come in day 1 and be more productive..I would even rather have Denard Robinson in rounds 6 or 7 and convert him to RB and he would provide more production and big plays than Brown...Thoughts and Opinions???

Find a RB who does far better on the turf first, cut Brown after.

I still can't believe we didn't bring Ahmad Bradshaw in for a visit at least. He's exactly the type of back we need.

Dustin...is that you?  Even I cannot tel if you are being sarcastic...I am losing my touch :)

To topic:  Brown is fine behind an improved line when healthy.  There are some 'fun' backs if we really want them from 3 on....BPA Grigs...stay the course.  :)

Dustin...is that you?  Even I cannot tel if you are being sarcastic...I am losing my touch :)

To topic:  Brown is fine behind an improved line when healthy.  There are some 'fun' backs if we really want them from 3 on....BPA Grigs...stay the course.   :)

haha Yeah it's me. I am a big Bradshaw fan and beleive he's definetely the type of back we need. He's probably the best pass blocking RB in the league and a solid receiver. He was coming off of a foot injury so I guess I understand why we weren't interested.

His longest run is actually 80 yards in the season to forget 2011 that run sealed the colts first win in that season so I don't know where you are getting that his longest run is only 19 yards.

look closer.....

haha Yeah it's me. I am a big Bradshaw fan and beleive he's definetely the type of back we need. He's probably the best pass blocking RB in the league and a solid receiver. He was coming off of a foot injury so I guess I understand why we weren't interested.

HA HA!  I was not sure.....had to have some fun :)

he's getting a lot of unfair criticism here.  how many times did he get hit behind the line cause our oline was weak throughout his career.  I remember quite a few times.  I remember he had some pretty good runs last year when he had the kind of blocking that successful running backs get.  those only a handful of backs that can still get yards after getting hit in the backfield and they wouldn't be able to do it all the time.  imo he's going to have a good not great year probably above average being ballards backup.  if we do pick up a stud back I say we still need to keep him and ballard and that's it with one on practice squad maybe.

he's getting a lot of unfair criticism here.  how many times did he get hit behind the line cause our oline was weak throughout his career.  I remember quite a few times.  I remember he had some pretty good runs last year when he had the kind of blocking that successful running backs get.  those only a handful of backs that can still get yards after getting hit in the backfield and they wouldn't be able to do it all the time.  imo he's going to have a good not great year probably above average being ballards backup.  if we do pick up a stud back I say we still need to keep him and ballard and that's it with one on practice squad maybe.

I don't recall who it was, but someone last season was breaking down each game, play by play, for DB and Vick.  He (or she) went through the trouble of analyzing how often they were hit behind the line, how many yards were gained after contact, etc.

The results of the analysis seemed to consistently point to DB being unfairly criticized.  Before he got injured, his numbers were consistently markedly better than Vick's.

Now... that said, Vick improved DRASTICALLY after DB was IR'd.  I prefer Vick as the starter, but if DB can stay healthy (BIG IF), he is a very solid number 2 for the Colts, IMO.

What is this, your 5th RB thread in 2 days? I love how people complain that our 27th ranked oline suck and that our team will improve when the o line does, and then turn around and say our rb sucks for not being MJD behind it.

People just don't understand that everything starts up front. Only one RB has ever done it alone & that was Barry Sanders.

No one will ever do that again, not even his son

People just don't understand that everything starts up front. Only one RB has ever done it alone & that was Barry Sanders.

No one will ever do that again, not even his son

This is a concept that certainly seem's to get lost with a lot of people.

This is a concept that certainly seem's to get lost with a lot of people.

This^^^^^  That is why they call it the trenches my friend!

I spend almost every Sunday watching the OL more than anything so that I can see who knows what is going on here or not.  You should see my war-room....:)

I don't get it. If it didn't start up front, we'd just run 7 on 7's

No lineman allowed in the NFL

Some here got upset with me here while back when I said I would never use a 1st rd. pick on a RB unless there was just something really crazy that jumped out at me on tape, but I honestly feel that way about almost any RB I've ever seen. AP, and Barry Sanders being the rare exceptions. I love the running game, but I just choose to give the recognition to who mostly deserves it, and that's with the big uglies up front.

I think we can use Donald Brown this season. But I say another quality back should be brought in to raise the level of talent and competition. Somebody like Christine Michael, Knile Davis or someone else. Whoever it is, I expect them to have some speed.

Some here got upset with me here while back when I said I would never use a 1st rd. pick on a RB unless there was just something really crazy that jumped out at me on tape, but I honestly feel that way about almost any RB I've ever seen. AP, and Barry Sanders being the rare exceptions. I love the running game, but I just choose to give the recognition to who mostly deserves it, and that's with the big uglies up front.

I'd use a 1st on a QB, OL, WR, or CB (Which is debatable cause you could get a good CB late). Every other position I'd use the other picks on.

I think we can use Donald Brown this season. But I say another quality back should be brought in to raise the level of talent and competition. Somebody like Christine Michael, Knile Davis or someone else. Whoever it is, I expect them to have some speed.

Ray Graham (Pitt)