Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hey Bey Bey Hilton Hunter

MFT5

I'm a huge fan of our trending direction on defense but Justin Hunter's physical attributes are really something to marvel at. As a physical specimen, he compares favorably to Julio Jones and could potentially be our no.1 option as Wayne starts his decline.

Going forward I know this team is building for overall balance but Hunter's potential could make us the hunters (Pardon my Pun) of the NFL for years to come.

I want to know what direction you see the Colts going in this draft and why

I think the first two or three picks will be defense, then 2 of our last three picks will be offense. honestly i only see us needing a OLB and a CB. i know alot of people in the forums disagree with me but i really dont see Walden or Toler being our long term options at OLB and CB, and believe they were over payed. GB sure was not trying to hard to get Walden back, and the Cards decided to get powers instead of bringing Toler back. 

I really like Hunter the tallest of Kiper's top 5 WR we could use a taller WR in the redzone unless we can trade back with someone like buffalo that needs a qb I think their are better options for us to take

He's 2 inches taller than DHB but 10 pounds lighter. I'm guessing he doesn't run a 4.3 either. Sounds good but we may be sitting pretty with DHB

I really like Hunter the tallest of Kiper's top 5 WR we could use a taller WR in the redzone unless we can trade back with someone like buffalo that needs a qb I think their are better options for us to take

I like the trade back scenario better than "almost" any one pick there at 24.   I mean some rare talent would have to take a horrendous fall to us.

Like those stats mean anything

How do they not mean anything? He's gone against FSU and LSU two teams with very good corners/defenses and put up huge numbers. What are you basing your wide receiver decision on? height ? (if we were to go with a wide receiver that is) .... You probably havent seen any of his tape, go to youtube and then come back with a rebuttal pal ...

he has improved in that area but i think he had something like 35% drop rate his rookie year, and 28% his sophmore year. He's been a bit better these past 2 years but he still has catching problems.

just so u can compare how bad 35 and 28 % is, Avery had a 16 % drop rate this year. ( i know i'm quoting someone from another thread.)

just so u can compare how bad 35 and 28 % is, Avery had a 16 % drop rate this year. ( i know i'm quoting someone from another thread.)

He has improved the last two years. Besides, what about garçon? Dude used to drop balls all the time. He turned out decent. DHB was also drafted very raw with huge potential and has improved every year in the league.

How do they not mean anything? He's gone against FSU and LSU two teams with very good corners/defenses and put up huge numbers. What are you basing your wide receiver decision on? height ? (if we were to go with a wide receiver that is) .... You probably havent seen any of his tape, go to youtube and then come back with a rebuttal pal ...

Ok pal. I never said i preferred Hunter over Hopkins....I don't really have a opinion. The point was u can't really compare two guys statistically who play in different conferences, with different quarterbacks and different offensive systems.

I'm very aware that i'm going to take some flack for this, but since we already have 4 very serviceable WRs on our roster, why do we need to draft ANOTHER one in RD1 this year?

I get that Hunter or Hopkins are good, but are they good enough to pass up on a difference maker on defense?

If we just keep going all out on offense, it sounds almost like going back to the Polian years.

Not bad. Needs to add some weight/muscle with that frame. Moss wasn't that big/heavy but he was lightning fast. Just comparing heights.

I read somewhere (can't remember) that Hunter has added 15 lbs of muscle since the season ended. I will try to find it.

I'm very aware that i'm going to take some flack for this, but since we already have 4 very serviceable WRs on our roster, why do we need to draft ANOTHER one in RD1 this year?

I get that Hunter or Hopkins are good, but are they good enough to pass up on a difference maker on defense?

If we just keep going all out on offense, it sounds almost like going back to the Polian years.

I'm not suggesting we do draft a WR (since the acquisition of DHB), but what makes you think Grigson isn't happy with who he brought in on defense?

As far as I'm concerned, pretty much any position is an option at #24.  As far as WR, DHB's contract is for 1 year.  Reggie will be 35 nearing the end of next season.  That leaves Hilton, Brazil, and maybe Whalen as our future at WR.  Given that WR generally takes some time to develop, using our first this year on a WR certainly isn't out of the question.

Heck, look at the Packers.  Despite having Greg Jennings, Donald Driver, and others in the fold, they've gone out and brought in Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb.  While those guys were drafted in round 2, they were drafted high and as depth.

All I'm saying is, don't rule out anything at #24.  Pass rusher, guard, tackle, LB, CB, etc.

I think the first two or three picks will be defense, then 2 of our last three picks will be offense. honestly i only see us needing a OLB and a CB. i know alot of people in the forums disagree with me but i really dont see Walden or Toler being our long term options at OLB and CB, and believe they were over payed. GB sure was not trying to hard to get Walden back, and the Cards decided to get powers instead of bringing Toler back. 

So everytime a player leaves a team...it's because that team didn't want them back??? There was an article about how Arizona wanted Toler to stay in Arizona, but Indy swooped in and signed him before Arizona even had a chance. Toler was also rated higher than every free agent CB on the market this yr. except Sean Smith. Toler is seen as a rising star for CB's but he's had quite a few injuries. If he can stay healthy, then he's going to be a very good corner for us.

Hunter is my favorite receiver in this years draft. Saw him live and he looked like a man among boys on the field. His size is elite(A.J Green measurables) and he was coming off a knee injury last year so this year he will even be better. If we took him in the first, I'd be very happy.. I personally dream of getting Jarvis Jones and Xavier Rhodes, but I doubt either falls to us at 24.

We took Toler from AZ before they decided to take Jerrard. I was hoping to keep Jerrard that would have been a nice trio.. But Toler is a  very nice upgrade, And Jerrard wanted to start, I cant blame him cause he has starter talent.

I'm not necessarily in favor of drafting a WR in R1,  but the argument for doing so goes like this...

-- Reggie Wayne is getting older and doesn't have many years left.

-- DHB is signed to a 1-year deal and can go elsewhere next year like Avery did.

-- We don't have much beyond that....  Hilton and a few other very raw pieces...   not very much.

That's not a bad argument for taking a WR in R1....   if you like him.   Other positions I rate higher in terms of need.

I also think Hunter has the most upside of any receiver in the draft and would be the reason why...if we take a WR in the 1st rd...I would take him over the others. I also tend to think though that we could wait and get DaRick Rodgers in the 3rd rd.. If we took a WR in the 1st this yr., I do not see them getting a ton of field time, which is why if it were up to me...I would go with guard or defense. depending on who was available. IMO the signing of DHB postponed the need for a 1st rd. WR.