Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

You don't draft a Guard in RD1 or a CB! OLB , RB, DE Period!

Please tell me what is crazy about it. Warford has a higher draft grade than Cooper. Don't believe me, check it out for yourself...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/larry-warford?id=2539248

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/jonathan-cooper?id=2539272

You really should know more about the players before you tell somebody they're crazy for saying we'll pick a guy that has a higher grade than somebody you think is a forgone conclusion will go early in the draft.

Please tell me what is crazy about it. Warford has a higher draft grade than Cooper. Don't believe me, check it out for yourself...

You really should know more about the players before you tell somebody they're crazy for saying we'll pick a guy that has a higher grade than somebody you think is a forgone conclusion will go early in the draft.

To be fair, that draft tracker is the only place that has Warford even remotely close to Cooper. I still don't know who actually does those ratings for nfl.com.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't wanna hear Warford or Rhodes again.....Or the word Mauler are we trying to be the Trent Dilfer ravens??? We have the next GREAT QB and we want maulers??? Maybe on D yes and we have a few already, now we need athletes and playmakers on both sides....What playmakers on both sides should we take in rds 1 and 3??? We can go G and C in rds 4-7..The only DB I want is Matheiu or Ray Ray Armstrong in the 4th or 5th...

Skip Bayless...is that you?

To be fair, that draft tracker is the only place that has Warford even remotely close to Cooper. I still don't know who actually does those ratings for nfl.com.

I heard at one time who does the draft grades on NFL.com, but can't remember who it is. I'm pretty sure there is a whole slew of people people who come up with the grades. I trust them way more than any other draft sites who just employ a bunch of clowns that think they know more than others and most of them don't know anything. I've seen that Warford has been moving up here lately and IMO fits our scheme better than Cooper anyway.

I honestly think Cooper is ahead in most analysts minds simply because Cooper fits with more teams than Warford does. Cooper fits in with a ZBS more than he does a MBS, but could do either. Warford really only fits with a MBS. Since we play a MBS, IMO Warford fits better than Cooper anyway.

I honestly think Cooper is ahead in most analysts minds simply because Cooper fits with more teams than Warford does. Cooper fits in with a ZBS more than he does a MBS, but could do either. Warford really only fits with a MBS. Since we play a MBS, IMO Warford fits better than Cooper anyway.

No he isn't, Cooper is the better fit, Cooper is stronger and faster and simply drives defenders plus Pep likes for his Guards to trap and pull so they have to be able to move and block in space as well as drive defenders off the ball. Only thing Warford has on Cooper is weight, and Warford is slow out of his stance

I think the only reason people say that is because Cooper was asked to lose weight when the new HC was hired...who employed a no huddle offense. According to cooper, they ran 3x the number of plays in practice than the previous staff. Plus, he only weighed 7lbs les than Warmack at the combine

No he isn't, Cooper is the better fit, Cooper is stronger and faster and simply drives defenders plus Pep likes for his Guards to trap and pull so they have to be able to move and block in space as well as drive defenders off the ball. Only thing Warford has on Cooper is weight.

I don't agree, but I don't feel like arguing about it. I'll just say I'll agree to disagree.

Ok now I narrowed it down

1.your very young and have no idea what your talking about or

2.your trolling

Dude thats not necessary .

3. Some of us & I include my self are not the greatest football minds . For me I come visit learn from others & exchange views all we have are opinions .

I would hope that those of higher intelligence would either ignore or school those of us who are not so gifted  . Just my opinion .

I think the only reason people say that is because Cooper was asked to lose weight when the new HC was hired...who employed a no huddle offense. According to cooper, they ran 3x the number of plays in practice than the previous staff. Plus, he only weighed 7lbs les than Warmack at the combine

Warmack lost weight for the combine too. So did a lot of the other lineman. Cooper is more athletic than Warford, I'll give him that and I would happily take him if we could grab him, but IMO Warford isn't that far behind Cooper, if he's behind him at all. They are just 2 different style players.

Warmack lost weight for the combine too. So did a lot of the other lineman. Cooper is more athletic than Warford, I'll give him that and I would happily take him if we could grab him, but IMO Warford isn't that far behind Cooper, if he's behind him at all. They are just 2 different style players.

Warford's weight scares me....don't want him eating himself out of the league in a few years.

Warford's weight scares me....don't want him eating himself out of the league in a few years.

His weight don't bother me at all. He's only a few lbs heavier than some of the guys we have on our line already. He's thickly built and has a powerful lower body. This is from his draft profile on NFL.com...

BOTTOM LINE Warford translated his power as a drive-blocker, unexpected foot quickness and downfield hustle into a fantastic, decorated college career –- and should win his share of battles against NFL linemen when able to get his thick body moving quickly off the snap. That size, strength, and those surprising nimble feet should help him nab a draft slot in the top half of the draft and step into a starting lineup at the next level immediately.

He's not just a fat slob, he has surprising quickness and good footwork. 

Meh Loadholt is 343lbs and Brian Winters weight is 320lbs, I dont think the coaching staff would let him get that far if we drafted him by chance

His weight don't bother me at all. He's only a few lbs heavier than some of the guys we have on our line already. He's thickly built and has a powerful lower body. This is from his draft profile on NFL.com...

He's not just a fat slob, he has surprising quickness and good footwork. 

He reportedly played at 350+ during the season and lost quite a bit for the combine. I'm not against taking him, but guys that young who have battled weight issues in college worry me....but I guess he only ballooned up his senior year, so maybe it was only a one time thing.

We have added plenty of guys for the trenches already, to much turnover on the line isn't good, you will be surprised the difference Thomas and Cherilous make and Satele is solid and McGlynn as well...Reitz, Justice, and Linkenbach were terrible..Ilajana will show up this year as well....Go guard and center in later rounds...Why take the ball out of Luck's hands??? Doesn't make sense?? We have a glut of maulers on the d-line now and we needed it, but the only speed playmaker we have is Mathis and he's old...I don't expect much from Hughes....RB is IMPORTANT FOR GOD'S SAKE!!! Has Maurice Jones Drew taught you people anything....We need a back like that....

Don't know if you happened to notice....     but MJD, and even Ray Rice for that matter (a similar back in size and style)  are both 2nd round picks...     

Hmmmm..........

Don't know if you happened to notice....     but MJD, and even Ray Rice for that matter (a similar back in size and style)  are both 2nd round picks...     

Hmmmm..........

Ok we can trade back into the second we r in the bottom 4th of the 1st as it is, If not Hunt, Mingo, Jarvis Jones, Datone Jones,or Austin this is my pick I follow my board and I want an impact player not a run of mill the guard who is not any more of a sure thing....There will be a guards that go later who will outperform the so-called elite guards...Lacy is head and shoulders the best running back ...

If Margus hunt goes to new England and dominates or Lacy goes to Green Bay and runs for 1500 I'll be on here saying I told you so to all the doubters...

Here is the first thing you've written that I agree with.    You're definitely an "I told you so!"  type of poster...

Being a new poster and coming here and insulting lots of other posters and telling them how wrong they are and how right you are is not a good way to win friends and influence people....

Just some food for thought....

Here is the first thing you've written that I agree with.    You're definitely an "I told you so!"  type of poster...

Being a new poster and coming here and insulting lots of other posters and telling them how wrong they are and how right you are is not a good way to win friends and influence people....

Just some food for thought....

It's called debate, I don't believe I've insulted anyone just disagreed, I have been insulted who cares it's the point to debate we won't know who is right till the draft after the season...We are all Colts fans, so if I'm wrong and we win I'll be happy, if I'm right and we struggle I'll be the first to admit it....

I view guys like Warmack and Warford as classic RG's....   more run oriented...  more drive blocking oriented...

I view someone like Cooper as more of a classic LG....    Good at pass blocking as well as being able to pull for run blocking...

And while I'm hyper-senstive to young players with weight issues,  I'm hopeful that Warford can stay in the 330's once he's in the NFL.     I'd prefer him at 325,  but that might be a bit much to ask of him...

Just my view of things....

It's called debate, I don't believe I've insulted anyone just disagreed, I have been insulted who cares it's the point to debate we won't know who is right till the draft after the season...We are all Colts fans, so if I'm wrong and we win I'll be happy, if I'm right and we struggle I'll be the first to admit it....

OK....  maybe insult wasn't the right word....   fair enough....

How about annoy??     Do you get the sense you've annoyed a few people here??

And I write that knowing that I myself have annoyed one or two posters here...  (maybe more!)

I view guys like Warmack and Warford as classic RG's....   more run oriented...  more drive blocking oriented...

I view someone like Cooper as more of a classic LG....    Good at pass blocking as well as being able to pull for run blocking...

And while I'm hyper-senstive to young players with weight issues,  I'm hopeful that Warford can stay in the 330's once he's in the NFL.     I'd prefer him at 325,  but that might be a bit much to ask of him...

Just my view of things....

To me, it just tells me that if he was as quick and nimble as he was at 350 lbs, at 330 right now, he's going to be that much better and quicker. I agree with you that Warford is the typical RG, which just happens to be exactly what we need on our line. :thmup:

This team has put itself in the position to take any player they want short of QB, RB, or TE.      Yes, they don't need a RB in round one.    They can get a player every bit as talented as Lacy in the 4th if they wish.   Bell, Burkhead, Ball, Taylor, Gillespie... and on and on..   There IS NO ADRIAN PETERSON in this draft.

Guard would be a fine selection if Warmack or Cooper are there,. heck I would not be mad if they got Watford.    Luck was running for his life last season.   That has got to stop, and it will.      Don't be shocked to see a G taken first.  

All that said.....   IMO, I think OLB is the pick in the first round.     If they use it.

Ogletree, Brown, Collins would all be outstanding picks to help this front 7.    Yes, yes...  I know Og and Brown are listed at ILB.    But I have seen BOTH play and they will play anywhere our staff would want them to play.   They are "play makers"  in every sense.  

CB...   I would not mind one if certain players are gone but personally I feel that a "very good" pass rush will make our CB's look "very good" ..      I think the rush has to be taken care of first.     Then worry about the D backfield.   JMO.

WR...   I would love to see a WR taken first,  Wayne is not getting any younger so if the right player is there I can see Indy going in this direction.  Personally...   i like T Austin...    Wayne, Hilton and Auston would be a nightmare for any DC with our TE's ......  WOW... the possibilities.     But TA will not be there.....     

I hate picking @ #24 this year. It seems like all the elite talent will be snapped up ahead of us, and anyone we could pick would be a slight reach @ 24..

With our new WR, I can't see us picking a WR in the first round, even if I like Tavon Austin (won't be available) and Robert Woods (reach).

To me it seems that protecting Luck and rushing the other teams QB is the most important areas.

Sure would like to have Cooper or Warmack, but they'll both be gone @ 24, and Warford is not a #24 overall pick.

Pass rushers @ 24? Is there really someone who's worthy of that, someone worthy of replacing a player with Freeneys history?

I wouldn't be surprised if we trade down..

OK....  maybe insult wasn't the right word....   fair enough....

How about annoy??     Do you get the sense you've annoyed a few people here??

And I write that knowing that I myself have annoyed one or two posters here...  (maybe more!)

I'm sure I've annoyed plenty as I have also been annoyed..lol, it's all in fun and we all want the Colts to win I don't take it too seriously. Now if people are getting ugly or personal insulting each other that is another story...

I hate picking @ #24 this year. It seems like all the elite talent will be snapped up ahead of us, and anyone we could pick would be a slight reach @ 24..

With our new WR, I can't see us picking a WR in the first round, even if I like Tavon Austin (won't be available) and Robert Woods (reach).

To me it seems that protecting Luck and rushing the other teams QB is the most important areas.

Sure would like to have Cooper or Warmack, but they'll both be gone @ 24, and Warford is not a #24 overall pick.

Pass rushers @ 24? Is there really someone who's worthy of that, someone worthy of replacing a player with Freeneys history?

I wouldn't be surprised if we trade down..

Yes he is and it's been discussed at length in this thread.

Its all good....no one here is an expert and we've all made ridiulous draft day calls.

The thing is...arguing against taking Larry Warford at #24 is one thing.

But railing like that against addressing a key element of football that we've stunk to death at for years.....a Colts rushing attack that since 2006 was the laughingstock of the NFL....is for a lot of us like saying let's repeat that same mistake.

Opposing playoff defenses absolutely feasted on the very "pass, pass, pass" philosophy the previous regime was addicted to....and anyway we slice it....it was a very key reason we were vomited out of the playoffs those 2-3 other years we could have won a Super Bowls.

And what was the common denominator in many of those bitter playoff losses? We couldn't run the ball and we couldn't stop the run. We need to fully address the trench positions with physical, punishing athletes, IMO.

For once....wouldn't you like to see opposing QBs superglued to the sidelines like Manning was all those times, while we devour the clock late in games...and see the opposing defense pounded into submission?

I know all this high-flying passing stuff is fun.....and we'll get our share of that with Luck ...but it's still a game of keepaway.

And now all I want to do is draft OLBs... Only way to get rid of OLBs is to mock...

1. TRADE NO PERFECT PLAYER AVAILABLE...

2. Short DT, Hankins DT, Cyprien FS

3. Bostic OLB or Lemonier OLB

3. Winters G or Schwenke C/G

4. Buchanan OLB or Washington OLB

6. Thornton G

7. Hansen C

7. RAY RAY ARMSTRONG FS

*McCalebb RB

There is NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING about McGlynn that would make one consider him a mauler. The guy got knocked back and on his butt more than any other lineman we had last yr.. He is the epitome of terrible. He did play better at center, but was just awful at guard.

My Friend your right he was absolutely terrible,so was Satele IMO,Shipley is by far a better Center

I like Ballard...lets get your OLBs....an build that D even more...we will score with our offense as is...

I agree.....i like our RBs. Ballard should start with Brown as the change of pace back. The backs have never even had the semblance of a decent line to open up holes for them.  Brown is fantastic in open space. He could be very valuable catching passes out of the backfield this year. 

If you remember back when Manning was the QB.....our O-lineman always started in a 2 point stance for pass blocking purposes. They always got blown of the line of scrimmage on the run due to this. They continued this until Orlovsky took over and then switched to a 3 point stance. Our running game improved greatly at that point.....and that was with a very average line. Our line should be greatly improved this year. I think our RBs are going to surprise some people.

I think the first pick will be either a LB or DE.  There is good value at the OL and RB in the later rounds, so why go there in the 1st round.   CB is not a need right now, you have two solid starters and a good depth guy.  Maybe add a CB and a S later in the draft for depth. 

I think the first pick will be either a LB or DE.  There is good value at the OL and RB in the later rounds, so why go there in the 1st round.   CB is not a need right now, you have two solid starters and a good depth guy.  Maybe add a CB and a S later in the draft for depth. 

Ray Ray Armstrong will be a good pick in the 4th....

Okay.  Warmack is considered the best football player in the draft and yet he will not go number one because he is a guard.  Cooper is being called the most athletic guard some scouts have ever seen and he will not go number one because he is a guard.  The best guard in years went late in the 1st round last year. Guards do not get drafted high as a rule.   Now, apparently you found one scout who puts Warford ahead of Cooper.  Congrats.  The rest of them have him a distant 3rd and mock him in the 2nd round.  If Warmack or Cooper fell to us, then yes I think we grab one, but Warford will be there at 24 and there is no way he will be the BPA at that pick.  He will just be the 3rd best guard.  As many posters have said, need is a poor evaluator and that's what you were doing.  We do need a guard, but we'll get one later on.  At least that's what makes sense.

When you have a Ferrari you don't drive it like a pickup truck as all I'm saying...The big mauler slow down game is what teams do that don't have an all-time great qb...We have speed all over the place at receiver and a good back in Ballard if you add Lacy thunder and lightning.... So, would you rather win 21-13 or open it up and win 56-13???

There is so much wrong with this post I don't even know where to start.

1. you don't have an all-time great QB. You had one. Then you drafted one of the greatest prospects ever, and he had a damn good rookie year. But make no mistake, at this stage of his development, Luck is not Peyton, he isn't Brady nor Rodgers or even Brees. If you want him to get there, you have to develop him and keep him upright.

David Carr is one of the top 20 QB prospects of all-time (my opinion) and he now has a syndrome named after him. If you don't have a capable OL Luck could get David Carr'd. And that would be a damn shame, he could be one of the best ever.

2. You have speed on the inside, no real #2 threat, and an aging superstar who could fall off a cliff at any time.

3. Ballard and Lacy = thunder and lightning? Oh that's bad.... Thunder is for a pure power back, lightning is for a pure speed guy, the best example in recent memory is Tiki Barber and Brandon Jacobs for the Giants a few years ago. Lacy and Ballard don't fit either mold properly. A good tandem, but not really something that should be classified as thunder and lightning. Oh and Lacy would be a big reach at 24, but that's really besides the point isn't it?

4. No team in NFL history has ever consistently won 56-13. Not even the 07 Patriots routinely did that, and they were the best offensive team of all-time.

5. In the NFL it doesn't matter how you win, just that you do it. Each team needs it own identify and The colts have decided to go ground and pound until Luck develops and is ready to lead a team to the promised land slinging it around like Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers. The biggest mistake the colts can make (and it does t appear as if they are) is to assume the kid is already Peyton Manning. He isn't, and won't be that level of elite for quite awhile, if ever.