Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

You don't draft a Guard in RD1 or a CB! OLB , RB, DE Period!

Two separate films here of Warford, A few things stick out to me

1.His Hand Pop (Initial jolt with hands off the snap of the ball) is not overly stunning

2.He works with the Center or Tackle well to Trap

3.Inconsistent in maintaining contact up to the 2nd level

4.Good at redirecting his man on the reach block 

5.Not a natural knee bender in my opinion 

6.Has trouble adjusting laterally to a Linebacker at 2nd level

My opinion-1 on 1 vs bull rushers hes going to be solid as a rock vs the biggest of men, where he will have problems is vs smaller  DT's that offer a variety of pass rush moves, spin, rip, swim move ect. Not a guy I want Pull Blocking on a consistent basis, Good but not great drive blocker, Does not have the ability to recover when beat vs smaller D Linemen, Inconsistent with sustaining leverage and balance throughout a run block

The above two films is to show the difference in his blocking the two extremes-smaller DT-Shareef Floyd and much larger-John Jenkins

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two separate films here of Warford, A few things stick out to me

1.His Hand Pop (Initial jolt with hands off the snap of the ball) is not overly stunning

2.He works with the Center or Tackle well to Trap

3.Inconsistent in maintaining contact up to the 2nd level

4.Good at redirecting his man on the reach block 

5.Not a natural knee bender in my opinion 

6.Has trouble adjusting laterally to a Linebacker at 2nd level

My opinion-1 on 1 vs bull rushers hes going to be solid as a rock vs the biggest of men, where he will have problems is vs smaller  DT's that offer a variety of pass rush moves, spin, rip, swim move ect. Not a guy I want Pull Blocking on a consistent basis, Good but not great drive blocker, Does not have the ability to recover when beat vs smaller D Linemen, Inconsistent with sustaining leverage and balance throughout a run block

The above two films is to show the difference in his blocking the two extremes-smaller DT-Shareef Floyd and much larger-John Jenkins

Very good analysis on him...The finding linebackers in the 2nd level is the most troubling to me and his lack of quickness in pass-blocking, but he will make our power run game much better if we get him in the 2nd I'm ok with it....Just a big difference with him and Cooper, the only thing about him I like better than Cooper is how he handles the big DE's and DT's as you said...

Very good analysis on him...The finding linebackers in the 2nd level is the most troubling to me and his lack of quickness in pass-blocking, but he will make our power run game much better if we get him in the 2nd I'm ok with it....Just a big difference with him and Cooper, the only thing about him I like better than Cooper is how he handles the big DE's and DT's as you said...

For my money. Cooper is the best O Linemen in the entire draft

True, Im quite excited. I know we'll get a steal because like every year, some teams WILL overvalue some player and make a reach. It could potentially land some really good players in our laps like Cooper, Mingo, Jones

That's what I'm banking on as well...I hope 1 of those guy's fall to us, if not I still wouldn't be sad about Lacy as much as people here hate to hear it...

Its all good....no one here is an expert and we've all made ridiulous draft day calls.

The thing is...arguing against taking Larry Warford at #24 is one thing.

But railing like that against addressing a key element of football that we've stunk to death at for years.....a Colts rushing attack that since 2006 was the laughingstock of the NFL....is for a lot of us like saying let's repeat that same mistake.

Opposing playoff defenses absolutely feasted on the very "pass, pass, pass" philosophy the previous regime was addicted to....and anyway we slice it....it was a very key reason we were vomited out of the playoffs those 2-3 other years we could have won a Super Bowls.

And what was the common denominator in many of those bitter playoff losses? We couldn't run the ball and we couldn't stop the run. We need to fully address the trench positions with physical, punishing athletes, IMO.

For once....wouldn't you like to see opposing QBs superglued to the sidelines like Manning was all those times, while we devour the clock late in games...and see the opposing defense pounded into submission?

I know all this high-flying passing stuff is fun.....and we'll get our share of that with Luck ...but it's still a game of keepaway.

Would you be against Lacy as he is a physical, punishing, athlete like we've never had before??? If we still find a way to add another quality guard in the 3rd or possibly trade into the high 3rd or late 2nd???

I agree, but I've seen a lot of mocks from so called experts who have him dropping to us....I don't see how this is possible, but I'm hoping...

Depends on where a couple of these other O Linemen go, Its definitly possible he drops to us, depends on when a couple of the other O Lineman start being picked to, Joeckel, Fisher, Warmack, Johnson

Would you be against Lacy as he is a physical, punishing, athlete like we've never had before??? If we still find a way to add another quality guard in the 3rd or possibly trade into the high 3rd or late 2nd???

Well, I wouldn't say "never"....Edgerrin James was as punishing a RB as Lacy and infinitely more talented at blocking and receiving. And that is not a knock on Lacy...but Edge rang up what could well be a HoF career.

Putting that aside....if Lacy falls to our #86 pick and Grigson decides to take him there or somewhere in the 3rd in a trade down I won't squabble with it from a value standpoint. But I'll still be surprised.

At #24 though I just don't see the BPA value versus several other players likely to be there.

But...we are all guessing so have fun with it. :)