Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

You don't draft a Guard in RD1 or a CB! OLB , RB, DE Period!

Just say know to a 6-4 raw safety with insane size, speed, and power who will blow people up in the later rounds? How did drafting big DB's based on potential work for the Seahawks???? SMH...We have 3 Jessie Williams on our roster already, we have 1 good back and 1 good rush linebacker???? And Polian knows nothing about running backs? Why not sign Winston Or Moore on the cheap to instantly upgrade at guard instead of using a 1st rd pick on a guard??

That would be "Just say absolutely...unequivocally NO!"  Without question NO......No to the freaking NO!  I hope I am clear in my answer  :spit: No ?

Who is healthy enough on our front 3 to be Jesse Williams?  You cannot move the guy...3-4 is about demanding double teams....don't play it if you cannot!!  Agreed on the OLB....that is one of my BPA choices at 24...

WTH?  Polian...Where is creation did I mention Polian?  Maybe in a Polian thread?  Ballard is solid, and Brown provides speed with a one-two punch if healthy. (IF)  Personally, I would like to see Delone Carter and his 238 pounds run over this thread!   haha

I like Moore, but we will draft a guard IMO...a good one will fall to 3....and as mentioned above...Winston is a tackle...not a guard.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again he plays both.....

Winston played TE in high school, played tackle at Miami(University), played RT for the Texans, and RT for the Chiefs. So I'm not sure why you think he can play guard now. At 6'7" and barely 300 lbs, he doesn't have the right body type to play guard in a man blocking scheme.

Please draft........................pleeeeeeeeeease get here quickly.

That way fans can stop arguing over who we should take, and argue with who we did take.

Don't worry....posters calling Grigson a dumba** will be here soon enough

I am so crossing my fingers on a OLBr at 24 a great play maker would add so much to our DEf.Iam already excited to see our D play give me a OLB pass rusher and can play in space and cover make my year at 24.

Exactly Thats what I want!!! Hunt, Mingo, Jarvis Jones, Or even Datone Jones although he does't have the speed he has insane power....That's why you don't take a Guard in the first, I'm not opposed to a guard in the 3rd or later...

Exactly Thats what I want!!! Hunt, Mingo, Jarvis Jones, Or even Datone Jones although he does't have the speed he has insane power....That's why you don't take a Guard in the first, I'm not opposed to a guard in the 3rd or later...

OK...I can go with Mingo....Jones (Jarvis over Datone)....and a OG in the 3rd.... :)

That would be "Just say absolutely...unequivocally NO!"  Without question NO......No to the freaking NO!  I hope I am clear in my answer  :spit: No ?

Who is healthy enough on our front 3 to be Jesse Williams?  You cannot move the guy...3-4 is about demanding double teams....don't play it if you cannot!!  Agreed on the OLB....that is one of my BPA choices at 24...

WTH?  Polian...Where is creation did I mention Polian?  Maybe in a Polian thread?  Ballard is solid, and Brown provides speed with a one-two punch if healthy. (IF)  Personally, I would like to see Delone Carter and his 238 pounds run over this thread!   haha

I like Moore, but we will draft a guard IMO...a good one will fall to 3....and as mentioned above...Winston is a tackle...not a guard.

I mentioned Polian because he has Lacy as his top 10 BPA and he is pretty good at evaluating running backs and won executive of the year 6 times for a reason....I like Grigson, but sometimes I think he gets a little too much credit, Andrew Luck won us a lot of games by himself....We shall see, if we don't take a rush OLB, then we better be taking Lacy, or Hunter, or Austin if he falls, or we better be trading back and still taking rush OLB, or Lacy...

OK...I can go with Mingo....Jones (Jarvis over Datone)....and a OG in the 3rd.... :)

If Margus hunt goes to new England and dominates or Lacy goes to Green Bay and runs for 1500 I'll be on here saying I told you so to all the doubters...

I mentioned Polian because he has Lacy as his top 10 BPA and he is pretty good at evaluating running backs and won executive of the year 6 times for a reason....I like Grigson, but sometimes I think he gets a little too much credit, Andrew Luck won us a lot of games by himself....We shall see, if we don't take a rush OLB, then we better be taking Lacy, or Hunter, or Austin if he falls, or we better be trading back and still taking rush OLB, or Lacy...

I think Lacy is a stud....I like the receivers you mention.  Time has come for these Indianapolis Colts to win 40-7 and 37-10.....not 43-40 and 37-34 on last second scores.  We put the right D on the field...we will blow people out...mark my word....this team will SCORE in bunches....

I'd rather have Moore anyways Winston was the one crying about the fans booing Cassell las year...Your right, I didn't realize he was that tall and thought he played guard too...

Winston played TE in high school, played tackle at Miami(University), played RT for the Texans, and RT for the Chiefs. So I'm not sure why you think he can play guard now. At 6'7" and barely 300 lbs, he doesn't have the right body type to play guard in a man blocking scheme.

If Margus hunt goes to new England and dominates or Lacy goes to Green Bay and runs for 1500 I'll be on here saying I told you so to all the doubters...

Hunt is going to be hit or miss.  His skill set dominated the kids...they will not dominate the men.  He needs to learn technique....once again I like him....but not as a Colt at 24.  No I told you so needed...they will be good.

I'd rather have Moore anyways Winston was the one crying about the fans booing Cassell las year...Your right, I didn't realize he was that tall and thought he played guard too...

Does anyone know why Brandon Moore is still available? I kept thinking he would go quicker.I know he was nicked up alot last year but played all 16 like always.

Does anyone know why Brandon Moore is still available? I kept thinking he would go quicker.I know he was nicked up alot last year but played all 16 like always.

I have no idea. I keep hoping we can bring him in on the cheap, but I doubt it happens now. Nobody seems to want him for some reason.

I think Lacy is a stud....I like the receivers you mention.  Time has come for these Indianapolis Colts to win 40-7 and 37-10.....not 43-40 and 37-34 on last second scores.  We put the right D on the field...we will blow people out...mark my word....this team will SCORE in bunches....

That's why I won't be mad if we go with Lacy or receiver instead of OLB because we will be unstoppable on offense... I think our O=Line will be so much better already...WE HAVE GONE FROM BEING THE UNDERSIZED FINESSE TEAM TO HAVING MONSTERS ON BOTH LINES IN 1 OFFSEASON....WE LACK SPEEDY LINEBACKERS THAT CAN RUSH OR COVER, and they are harder to find in later rounds than guards, receivers, and running back...I'm not a fan of drafting rb's in the first like it looks, Lacy is the exception...

That's why I won't be mad if we go with Lacy or receiver instead of OLB because we will be unstoppable on offense... I think our O=Line will be so much better already...WE HAVE GONE FROM BEING THE UNDERSIZED FINESSE TEAM TO HAVING MONSTERS ON BOTH LINES IN 1 OFFSEASON....WE LACK SPEEDY LINEBACKERS THAT CAN RUSH OR COVER, and they are harder to find in later rounds than guards, receivers, and running back...I'm not a fan of drafting rb's in the first like it looks, Lacy is the exception...

I like Ballard...lets get your OLBs....an build that D even more...we will score with our offense as is...

RB's are a very low valued position now days. I've heard it from more than just a few NFL GM's on ESPN and NFL network. They are easily replaceable. You say Reitz, Justice, and Link were terrible, but then said McGlynn is solid. That is laughable. Justice was decent and Link was the best guard we used all yr.. Plus he's able to play tackle, although he;s not very good at tackle. I also won't be surprised at all that Thomas and Cherilus will make the line better, but we still need another guard and it will not surprise me at all if we draft Warmack, Cooper, or Warford if any are available when we pick. It also won't surprise me if we draft a WR or an OLBer, but to just say teams don't pick a guard or a CB in the 1st rd. is just nonsense.

Well, we pretty much know Warmack and Cooper will be gone.  Are you telling me that if Warford is there at 24, Grigson takes him?  That's crazier than anything the OP has said. No way we take a round 2 guard at 24.  

I think we should trade up and grab one of the elite guards (Warmack or Cooper). Nothing is more important than protecting Luck. We're deeper at outside linebacker and the secondary than we are on the offensive line. It would be nice to have an all pro up there instead of someone we grab off the scrap heap.

Well, we pretty much know Warmack and Cooper will be gone.  Are you telling me that if Warford is there at 24, Grigson takes him?  That's crazier than anything the OP has said. No way we take a round 2 guard at 24.  

Thank you...

It doesn't really matter what you want to hear. Pagano has already said he wants to run the ball and stop the run. Grigson said he wants to build the best O-line in the NFL when he was 1st hired. The key to a successful team is being strong in the trenches. The Bill Polian way was to build the skill positions and fill the trenches with scrubs and it killed us when the playoffs came around. You may not like it, but Grigson and Pagano vehemently disagree and so do many fans, including myself.

I wish Dion Jordan would be there, but he will be top 5, 6-6 with speed to rush and the ability to cover he will be a star in this league for years....Mingo or Jones, or Hunt on D, if we go Offense I'd like to see Hunter at wr because of his size and speed, Lacy because of his combo of power and speed and he would be a great combo with Ballard, or Hopkins who I'm on the fence about, he could be a Reggie Wayne type or he could be a Mohamad Mossoquoi which scares me..Receiver isn't a need because I think DHB will flourish with luck , but Hunter intrigues me...You saw what Jacoby Jones did when he had the opportunity and Hunter reminds me a lot of him...I think a hybrid rush OLB/DE Hunt, Mingo, or Jones would make the biggest impact because we have no one with their skill set on the roster unless Hughes improves out of nowhere...Datone Jones would be acceptable too as he has more talent than any of the other traditional DE's or DT's we have right now...

This team has put itself in the position to take any player they want short of QB, RB, or TE.      Yes, they don't need a RB in round one.    They can get a player every bit as talented as Lacy in the 4th if they wish.   Bell, Burkhead, Ball, Taylor, Gillespie... and on and on..   There IS NO ADRIAN PETERSON in this draft.

Guard would be a fine selection if Warmack or Cooper are there,. heck I would not be mad if they got Watford.    Luck was running for his life last season.   That has got to stop, and it will.      Don't be shocked to see a G taken first.  

All that said.....   IMO, I think OLB is the pick in the first round.     If they use it.

Ogletree, Brown, Collins would all be outstanding picks to help this front 7.    Yes, yes...  I know Og and Brown are listed at ILB.    But I have seen BOTH play and they will play anywhere our staff would want them to play.   They are "play makers"  in every sense.  

CB...   I would not mind one if certain players are gone but personally I feel that a "very good" pass rush will make our CB's look "very good" ..      I think the rush has to be taken care of first.     Then worry about the D backfield.   JMO.

WR...   I would love to see a WR taken first,  Wayne is not getting any younger so if the right player is there I can see Indy going in this direction.  Personally...   i like T Austin...    Wayne, Hilton and Auston would be a nightmare for any DC with our TE's ......  WOW... the possibilities.     But TA will not be there.....     

We have added plenty of guys for the trenches already, to much turnover on the line isn't good, you will be surprised the difference Thomas and Cherilous make and Satele is solid and McGlynn as well...Reitz, Justice, and Linkenbach were terrible..Ilajana will show up this year as well....Go guard and center in later rounds...Why take the ball out of Luck's hands??? Doesn't make sense?? We have a glut of maulers on the d-line now and we needed it, but the only speed playmaker we have is Mathis and he's old...I don't expect much from Hughes....RB is IMPORTANT FOR GOD'S SAKE!!! Has Maurice Jones Drew taught you people anything....We need a back like that....

Hold on 1 sec did you say McGlynn is solid!?!?! haha haha

Need is a terrible judge of talent... BPA all the way, as Grigs sees it... I would love to build the team according to my own thoughts and preferences, but there are guys who get paid to do it because they are better at it than me... or you for that matter...

There aren't any RBs that I'd take at #24, but we need another corner unless we like the idea of Vaughn subbing for an injured Toler or Davis...

I'm not sure that there will be a G worthy of the pick, either, but we need one... I'm certainly not going to throw out a few positions and say that's what we are getting "Period!"... That would just be foolish ;)

This team has put itself in the position to take any player they want short of QB, RB, or TE.      Yes, they don't need a RB in round one.    They can get a player every bit as talented as Lacy in the 4th if they wish.   Bell, Burkhead, Ball, Taylor, Gillespie... and on and on..   There IS NO ADRIAN PETERSON in this draft.

Guard would be a fine selection if Warmack or Cooper are there,. heck I would not be mad if they got Watford.    Luck was running for his life last season.   That has got to stop, and it will.      Don't be shocked to see a G taken first.  

All that said.....   IMO, I think OLB is the pick in the first round.     If they use it.

Ogletree, Brown, Collins would all be outstanding picks to help this front 7.    Yes, yes...  I know Og and Brown are listed at ILB.    But I have seen BOTH play and they will play anywhere our staff would want them to play.   They are "play makers"  in every sense.  

CB...   I would not mind one if certain players are gone but personally I feel that a "very good" pass rush will make our CB's look "very good" ..      I think the rush has to be taken care of first.     Then worry about the D backfield.   JMO.

WR...   I would love to see a WR taken first,  Wayne is not getting any younger so if the right player is there I can see Indy going in this direction.  Personally...   i like T Austin...    Wayne, Hilton and Auston would be a nightmare for any DC with our TE's ......  WOW... the possibilities.     But TA will not be there.....     

If Austin is there you have to take him, I haven't even considered it being realistic though...He would make us the greatest show on turf..We should sign Brandon Moore at guard he was in the Pro Bowl in 2011 and draft a guard in the later rounds to develop....Agree to disagree about the RB part...There will not be another Adrian Peterson , but Lacy will be elite and he is the only 1 worthy of a first..Packers will take him if we don't..If Austin falls we take him, if one of the rush lb falls we take them, if not take Lacy, it's a can't miss safe pick, rush lb is the greatest need and Hunt would be a scary rush olb, if the age scares you then Mingo or either Jones, if they aren't available linebacker drops way off from there and neither elite guard warford or cooper will be there...You go BPA Lacy, Hunter, Hopkins...

A serious case can be made for Jesse Williams to be our pick in the 1st round

1.Kellen Heard

2.Lawrence Guy

3.Aubrayo Franklin

4.Martin Tevasue

5.Lawrence Sidbury

6.Ricardo Matthews

7.Moala

Are all Free Agents come the end of 2014 and Williams can play inside at NT and DE and all of those guys except Franklin have proven to be rotational players at best

He would not be my ideal pick in the 1st but he was a force at Alabama

Just making the case for Williams not promoting him as my ideal pick

Please tell me what is crazy about it. Warford has a higher draft grade than Cooper. Don't believe me, check it out for yourself...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/larry-warford?id=2539248

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/jonathan-cooper?id=2539272

You really should know more about the players before you tell somebody they're crazy for saying we'll pick a guy that has a higher grade than somebody you think is a forgone conclusion will go early in the draft.

Need is a terrible judge of talent... BPA all the way, as Grigs sees it... I would love to build the team according to my own thoughts and preferences, but there are guys who get paid to do it because they are better at it than me... or you for that matter...

There aren't any RBs that I'd take at #24, but we need another corner unless we like the idea of Vaughn subbing for an injured Toler or Davis...

I'm not sure that there will be a G worthy of the pick, either, but we need one... I'm certainly not going to throw out a few positions and say that's what we are getting "Period!"... That would just be foolish ;)

That applies to teams that are established in most cases.        But teams like the Colts that have arguably "multi" needs...    BPA will likely fill a need.       With the exception of QB and TE. 

Indy has a "solid" roster currently but any new talent will be and upgrade.   Where ever it is ....

Im no GM or scout obviously so take it for what its worth, I watched several games where he started in Cincy and a few in Philly and it was a common theme to see him on his butt, was it every play? No, But it was enough for me to be one of the first if not the first to come out and say he would be a flop in Indy and look what happened

Well i would agree...   McG is "iffy" at best...     surely not solid.   But he was hurt all last season, maybe good health will help matters?

I'm not counting on it tho...

To me Warford is a fringe first rounder, he is very talented and can slip into the 1st, of course a factor in that is just how fast Warmack and Cooper(using them as an example) are taken which inevitably causes other teams to reach at times

Please tell me what is crazy about it. Warford has a higher draft grade than Cooper. Don't believe me, check it out for yourself...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/larry-warford?id=2539248

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/jonathan-cooper?id=2539272

I like Warford..a lot, my only thing is if Ijalana is able to come back we could wait until later for another guard..Thats a  BIG IF tho.

Donald Thomas is very good and a steal, Mcglynn or Shipley will be adequate if the rest of the line is solid, very few teams have great lineman at every position on the line...Brandon Moore is a possibility or just draft a guard in the 3rd...