Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pat McAfee Signed Franchise Tender Today

Mitch

According to Mike Chappell's twitter:

"P Pat McAfee signed his 1-yr, $2.977 million franchise tender today."

Hadn't seen it posted yet so I thought I would. Too bad we couldn't get a long-term contract set up before this, which I'm a little frustrated at. We are willing to pay Walden but refuse to lock down one of the fan's favorite players and in my opinion the best punter in the NFL. He's a great locker room guy and great for community, pay the man!

At least we know for sure we have this year, Happy for ya Pat, you deserve it.

Personally I was just hoping we'd get it done faster. I know we can still do it before deadline, just wanted it done sooner than later.

But nonetheless if anyone deserves that 2.97m, it's him.

I don't know that the team has even started to address Pat's contract yet. I'm assuming they will, but that cap hit isn't really hurting the team at this point, and it probably won't this season.

Hadn't seen it posted yet so I thought I would. Too bad we couldn't get a long-term contract set up before this, which I'm a little frustrated at. We are willing to pay Walden but refuse to lock down one of the fan's favorite players and in my opinion the best punter in the NFL. He's a great locker room guy and great for community, pay the man!

It's all well and good just saying "pay him!!! You paid Walden, why won't you pay McAfee?!" but you really don't know the ins and outs of the situation. I'm sure the FO would have liked to sign him up to a longer term deal but that's not how it panned out. I very much doubt they just sat around thinking "shall we pay the guy? Naaaaah".

It's gonna be crazy extending Davis & Pat's contracts next off-season

Overall, how will we be looking next year for all these 1 year contracts?  Im afraid its going to get very expensive next year.  May not be able to keep Davis or DHB.

andy lee and shane lecher are better

Couple that with having to make a deal with Luck, other star players, and especially if our FA's do well, we could be in a hurt locker for cap space.

Well Luck and the other rookies won't need contracts for another few years, we're in good shape for the next 4 years IMO.

Couple that with having to make a deal with Luck, other star players, and especially if our FA's do well, we could be in a hurt locker for cap space.

Luck is still under the Rookie contract. Won't renegotiate until a few years probably 2015-2016 somewhere around there

Luck is still under the Rookie contract. Won't renegotiate until a few years probably 2015-2016 somewhere around there

I hope so.  Don't expec him to want to get a new contract but if we make it to the playoffs again and he wins a game, I think he would.

we'll be cap challenged when luck's turn comes up either way. it's a good problem to have

either way, the few years we have until that time is an excellent window to put together some championship caliber rosters 

i thought with the new CBA you had to play out your rookie contract.  

they do....I believe first round picks have to play 4 years on the rookie contract.  the 5th year is an option but there can't be any new contract for the first 4 years IIRC.

i thought with the new CBA you had to play out your rookie contract.  

they do....I believe first round picks have to play 4 years on the rookie contract.  the 5th year is an option but there can't be any new contract for the first 4 years IIRC.

The team and player are able to renegotiate the rookie contract after the 3rd season.  The original terms of the deal are a 4 year with team option for 5th, but there is nothing that says that they HAVE to play out the entirety of the contract.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/25/new-cba-limits-early-renegotiated-contracts/

"As pointed out by agent David Canter, incoming players will not be able to renegotiate contracts before the end of the third season on their rookie contracts.  Undrafted players can renegotiate after their second year."

Edited to include link

It's my understanding that the team and player are able to renegotiate the rookie contract after the 3rd season.  The original terms of the deal are a 4 year with team option for 5th, but there is nothing that says that they HAVE to play out the entirety of the contract.

I knew they didn't have to lay the 5th but thought they did have to play the 4th...that was from memory though so as I said, could definitely be wrong.  I'm sure someone will clarify :)

thanks. good chance it hasn't even been addressed yet with how busy they've been with the onset of free agency 

That's what I was thinking. And now they're probably prepping full bore for the draft. McAfee's situation will get resolved at some point. No urgency in that regard.

As far as McAfee's long term deal, I'm not concerned in the least.  The deal will get done before the deadline in July.  We had other fish to fry in a much tighter time frame.  The whole point of franchising him is to keep him here until a deal can be done.  My guess is that Grigson won't even set down to talk money until after the draft is over.  Once again other fish to fry.

I knew they didn't have to lay the 5th but thought they did have to play the 4th...that was from memory though so as I said, could definitely be wrong.  I'm sure someone will clarify :)

I think your confusing extending a player with how long a player must play before he can become an unrestriced free agent.

Here ya go....

Teams cannot extend a contract until after a player has completed the 3rd year of his rookie contract. 

A team has the rights to a 1st round draft pick for 4 years ... unless the team and player agree on an "option year." So that would be 5 years. These contracts are usually given to the top tier draft picks and often guarantee the player the transition tag price.. which is the average salary of the top 10 players at that possition.

Other players become restricted free agents after their 3rd year in the league. The teams keep the players they want by making offers that award them ample compensation if another team makses them a better offer.

Hope that helps.

That's what I was thinking. And now they're probably prepping full bore for the draft. McAfee's situation will get resolved at some point. No urgency in that regard.

They don't have a reason in the world to get that done now. If they needed some cap room , it would have been a different story. They will sign a long term deal as long as they value paying a punter and KO guy around 3 mill per year. I think they will do a deal before the July deadline but maybe they feel it's too much to pay a punter - KO guy . It could be that they might want to just pay this year and fill the role (or roles) next year when they will have less holes to fill. With only 5 draft picks and all the holes and depth problem , it would probably be far better to replace him next year. 

Not saying they don't want PM long term because I don't know. If I had to guess, I'd say they sign him long term.

I don't think Pat will be back next season. Not at 3 mil or so a year. Doubt AV is back either. If Grigson want to pay that much for a punter on a team with a pro bowl QB like Luck, well he runs the show but I wouldn't. Same on AV, but Ide be way more inclined to pay a kicker than a punter.

I don't think Pat will be back next season. Not at 3 mil or so a year. Doubt AV is back either. If Grigson want to pay that much for a punter on a team with a pro bowl QB like Luck, well he runs the show but I wouldn't. Same on AV, but Ide be way more inclined to pay a kicker than a punter.

I think Pat will be back. Think AV has a year maybe 2 left, But who knows

(how it plays out in Warhorse's creative mind)

Grigson: Hey Pat, thanks for coming by...sit down and make yourself comfortable.

Pat: Thanks.

Grigson: As you probably know, the reason I asked you in is to talk about your contract. We put a franchise tender on you to make sure you are a Colt. You are an important part of the new team, and that was our first step. With all the pieces we have to add, we will review this before the deadline and pay you appropriately for who you are and what you bring to this team. In the worst case, we'll pay you the franchise price and take care of you next season, but I wanted to personally let you know we see you as a Colt moving forward. Do you have any questions?

Pat: No sir, and thanks for letting me know....I love being here.

Grigson : We'll be talking soon...keep up the good work.