Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mock draft (After signing DHB )

They gave up their 5th for Colt McCoy

OK....

Either way, the larger point remains....

No team trade's two #2's to move up 10 spaces from the top of the 2nd to the bottom of the 1st...

Too expensive.... 

Hey, if it somehow did happen....   I'd be thrilled and happy to eat crow!!     But I'd be beyond stunned if it did happen....

OK....

Either way, the larger point remains....

No team trade's two #2's to move up 10 spaces from the top of the 2nd to the bottom of the 1st...

Too expensive....

Hey, if it somehow did happen.... I'd be thrilled and happy to eat crow!! But I'd be beyond stunned if it did happen....

I'm already on record that I would be shocked if we traded back at all. I'm all in on Datone Jones at #24

I'm already on record that I would be shocked if we traded back at all. I'm all in on Datone Jones at #24

If we go defense,  he's my choice too....    or Mangus Hunt....   (apologies to Andy and Gavin whose heads just exploded!)

If we go offense....    well...   we'll save that for another thread....

Sorry.....

But the 49ers are not going to trade two #2's to trade up 10 spaces....

Doesn't happen.

More likely a 2/3/5 or a 2/3/6....    but not two 2's....

If you go by the point chart , it would be pick 34 and pick 82 . Pick 82 is the 18th pick in the 3rd round.

I would rather have Datone Jones, more of a sure thing.  I pick up a LB and G later on.  I think Chris Harper will not have much of an impact in the NFL, so I wouldn't pick him at all.  With the DHB signing, you don't need a WR right now, and would be better served looking at other positions.

Without a trade:
1.  Datone Jones, DE

3.  Brian Winters G-T, or Brian Schwenke C-G

4.  Zaviar Gooden LB or Chase Thomas LB or Michael Buchanan OLB

6.  Ray Graham RB

7.  crap shoot

7.  crap shoot

If you go by the point chart , it would be pick 34 and pick 82 . Pick 82 is the 18th pick in the 3rd round.

Right....   agreed....

But the problem is the 49ers don't own pick 82.

They own 74 (too high)  and 93 (too low)....   so, if we take 93,  we'd need something else to make the points right...

We'd need a 5,  which has been noted that the 49ers traded their #5 today.    So,  either they'd have to come up with other picks to make it work out....      don't know what the formula would be....   but,  that's not important right now...

I would rather have Datone Jones, more of a sure thing.  I pick up a LB and G later on.  I think Chris Harper will not have much of an impact in the NFL, so I wouldn't pick him at all.  With the DHB signing, you don't need a WR right now, and would be better served looking at other positions.

Without a trade:

1.  Datone Jones, DE

3.  Brian Winters G-T, or Brian Schwenke C-G

4.  Zaviar Gooden LB or Chase Thomas LB or Michael Buchanan OLB

6.  Ray Graham RB

7.  crap shoot

7.  crap shoot

Very nice.....    though I don't think Buchanon will be there when we pick at 4....   still, all in all,  a good mock for one with no trades involved....

If we go defense,  he's my choice too....    or Mangus Hunt....   (apologies to Andy and Gavin whose heads just exploded!)

If we go offense....    well...   we'll save that for another thread....

Magnus...we dont draft retired folk here in Darkhorse land.  

IF #24, then only and I mean only...ONLY Hopkins, Cooper, Jones, or someone tabbed in the top 10 that falls and fits our NEEDS...Rhodes, Jones LB, Moore, OLB, Ansah...Warmack... That being said, when do we start drafting 2013 Cheer Leading Squad????

After DHB...

1. TRADE

2. Warford G or Lacy RB

3. Jones C/G, Swearinger FS or Bostic ILB

3. Winters G, Lemonier or Buchanan OLB 

4. Washington OLB or Harper WR

6. Commings CB, Geathers NT, Sanders WR

7. Hurst RT, Juscyzck FB

7. Cave C or Williams FS

We trade  pick 24  to SF for picks 34 61

34 pick damontre moore DE / OLB  Texas A/M

61   Kyle Long  G/OT    Oregon 

86  Tyran Matheiu  FS/CB LSU

121  Chris Harper   WR Kansas

6th round  Depth

7th round kicker to push vinateri  

Your Thoughts?

Way too much risk there....2 guys nailed for smoking weed (Moore/Mathieu) and a DWI (Long) in between.

I'm all for second chances and new beginnings, but I'd prefer we at least spread the risk out a little better than that.

I'd prefer False Start's selections.....especially Warford in his trade down.

point is it still happens.

No....   the point is it only happens in incredibly rare circumstances.

And those circumstances do not exist in the framework of what the original poster was advocating....   which was the Colts trading back from 24 to 34 and picking up the 61st pick in addition.

If you can find that has happened before,  I'll be happy to change my view on that.....

In another thread on this webpage,  the one about great websites for all to use,  there's a draft pick points calculator that teams use to gauge proper draft pick compensation....

And the two #2 scenario's isn't even close....  

I like Datone Jones but he would be a rotational linemen right now in my opinion, He would have to wrestle some time from Francois or even backup time from Moala and Nevis, Rather get Steinkuhler later or Vellano, to me we need another pass rusher and Guard as well as Corner all worse then we need a DE, I dont have high hopes at all on Walden providing pass rush with Mathis which Walden would still have to do despite playing the Jarrett Johnson/as well formerly Paul Kruger role

No.... the point is it only happens in incredibly rare circumstances.

And those circumstances do not exist in the framework of what the original poster was advocating.... which was the Colts trading back from 24 to 34 and picking up the 61st pick in addition.

If you can find that has happened before, I'll be happy to change my view on that.....

In another thread on this webpage, the one about great websites for all to use, there's a draft pick points calculator that teams use to gauge proper draft pick compensation....

And the two #2 scenario's isn't even close....

what do you think the calculator said for the rams redskin trade... or the trade ditka made for Ricky Williams?

Right.... agreed....

But the problem is the 49ers don't own pick 82.

They own 74 (too high) and 93 (too low).... so, if we take 93, we'd need something else to make the points right...

We'd need a 5, which has been noted that the 49ers traded their #5 today. So, either they'd have to come up with other picks to make it work out.... don't know what the formula would be.... but, that's not important right now...

They own our fifth still.

what do you think the calculator said for the rams redskin trade... or the trade ditka made for Ricky Williams?

I'm sorry.....   but my last post to you completely addressed trades for rare franchise players and the difference between that and a trade that's no different from any other trade in any other year....

Why are we missing each other on this???     

This now feels like argument for argument's sake..... 

I'm the first poster here to float the idea of trading down this year.   I brought it up first.   And my comments about trading back values have always centered around trading back from 24 to whatever spot we could...

They did not address rare franchise level trades....    I'm sorry if my wording on one post was not specific enough for you...   but my record on this is all over this web page...    not just one thread of comments between you and me...

I don't know what else to tell you....

I'm sorry..... but my last post to you completely addressed trades for rare franchise players and the difference between that and a trade that's no different from any other trade in any other year....

Why are we missing each other on this???

This now feels like argument for argument's sake.....

I'm the first poster here to float the idea of trading down this year. I brought it up first. And my comments about trading back values have always centered around trading back from 24 to whatever spot we could...

They did not address rare franchise level trades.... I'm sorry if my wording on one post was not specific enough for you... but my record on this is all over this web page... not just one thread of comments between you and me...

I don't know what else to tell you....

I'm not going to go through every draft trade in the history of the game. but stranger things have happened. Your assertion that it has never and could never happen is false.

I'm not going to go through every draft trade in the history of the game. but stranger things have happened. Your assertion that it has never and could never happen is false.

And of course,  that's not my assertion at all...    I don't know how many different ways I can say it....

So,  it's late....   and I'm tired and you're trying too hard to win a fight that I'm not in with you.

So,  good night...  sleep well....

I'll try to avoid you in the future....

I like Datone Jones but he would be a rotational linemen right now in my opinion, He would have to wrestle some time from Francois or even backup time from Moala and Nevis, Rather get Steinkuhler later or Vellano, to me we need another pass rusher and Guard as well as Corner all worse then we need a DE, I dont have high hopes at all on Walden providing pass rush with Mathis which Walden would still have to do despite playing the Jarrett Johnson/as well formerly Paul Kruger role

Datone Jones is a pass rusher just an interior rusher which we need, outside rush means nothing if the QB can just step up in the pocket. Jones would most likely start off backing up redding(even though I feel he can overtake Francios in the starter lineup in camp) he would start in our sub packages but will turn into a midseason starter like Ballard. Get that interior pass rush to go along with Mathis/Walden/Hughes. Whoever you draft in the 1st is going to start off as a rotational player. Draft a pass rusher he has to wrestle time from Walden, Hughes, and maybe Sidbury, draft a guard he would have to beat out Reitz in camp unless Cooper(warmack isn't going to fall) falls then there is no competition there. Datone Jones provides us with what we are lacking and that's interior rush. Moala is going to be on PUP and Ricardo Mathews is Ricardo Mathews. CB I can't argue with that addition but my choice is Datone Jones. CB or jones are my two options in the first.

Datone Jones is a pass rusher just an interior rusher which we need, outside rush means nothing if the QB can just step up in the pocket. Jones would most likely start off backing up redding(even though I feel he can overtake Francios in the starter lineup in camp) he would start in our sub packages but will turn into a midseason starter like Ballard. Get that interior pass rush to go along with Mathis/Walden/Hughes. Whoever you draft in the 1st is going to start off as a rotational player. Draft a pass rusher he has to wrestle time from Walden, Hughes, and maybe Sidbury, draft a guard he would have to beat out Reitz in camp unless Cooper(warmack isn't going to fall) falls then there is no competition there. Datone Jones provides us with what we are lacking and that's interior rush. Moala is going to be on PUP and Ricardo Mathews is Ricardo Mathews. CB I can't argue with that addition but my choice is Datone Jones. CB or jones are my two options in the first.

I agree we need more pass rush from the interior and I also believe that Jones has the skill that could overtake the starting role currently (from what his contract looks like) is held by Francois but thats just it, Francois's contract may very well be a big factor in starting Jones over him if we were to draft Jones, Its not a question about do I like Jones, I do, do I think we can get much better value late? I sure do but I like Jones, As to Ballard and those what if comparisons to me thats totally different because Brown was the starter until he got hurt and then Brown got less and less playing time because of his injury before they put him on IR. Aso drafting a OLB/DE hybrid in the 1st, Im not saying I'd do that without hesitation but I feel much more confident in a Damontre Moore or Alex Okafor or Bjoern Werner or Jarvis Jones putting Walden on the bench (after this year we can get out of his contract without paying him a single dime going forward if we cut him prior to the 5th league day of 2014 if he comes out this year and does not impress) . I hope he does but realistically if it weren't for that little stipulation that we could cut him prior to the 5th league day of 2014 then he would been massively overpaid for his production in my opinion but thankfully if we have to we can get out of that deal, I honestly dont expect we will and I hope that Walden comes in and asserts himself as the clear cut starter and makes me eat plenty of crow but hey I dont see it happening, Green Bay has question marks at Linebacker and they still let Walden go

U always worry about who you can get later in the draft...as though those players are a lock to be there when the colts draft. Passing up quality players hoping player x of lesser quality will be there later isn't realistic.

I like datone jones  but im thinking pass rusher erik walden shows hes not very good at rushing the passer and thats key to how we do things so i personally would look at a guy like damontre moore or bjoern werner who have excelled at rushing the passer  i give moore the slight advantage because in his junior year he played as OLB in a 3-4 so he knows what has to be done