Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts agree to terms with WR Darrius Heyward Bey (merge)

Steagles

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, they played Satele & Zib until they got injured. So don't be too sure about that lol. And they let Vaughn play all year despite Butler being better than him

Another point taken but not like we were deep,and for one was glad Satele wasn't in there bobbing his head telegraphing snap counts :funny:

What's funny is most of the guys spouting off about DHB probably have no fricken clue as to what they are talking about. I'm going to go ahead and trust my buddies who are raiders fans. It's like the Hughes haters all over again. They are both good players. Not their fault their gm's reached. DHB has improved every year he's been in the league. How was that garçon guy who dropped tons of balls? Yeah...

Guy was way overdrafted, no doubt.  Most projects like him don't work out but, unlike many projects, he's known for his excellent work ethic and solid locker room presence.  On a team like the Colts he could finally realize his potential as a gamebreaker.  And the Colts get him cheap with very little risk.  Worst case scenario they drop him next year and he fades into obscurity.

you have still yet to answer the question as to how you are so sure this wasn't the guy Irsay was talking about from the get go?

I never said I was "sure", and never used that word. Just stating my opinion. So, there - I answered your question. Again, you need to work on reading comprehension.

Your turn to answer mine (good try deflecting it by the way) - show me where I said "Just because DHB doesn't do much for you"

I think with Wayne mentoring him and pages providing leadership, I think this is going to be our sleeper pic in the offseason, I'm saying it now.

HILTON AND DHB WILL 1000YARD RECEIVERS!!!!!

I also think he will be a very good addition to the team. And much cheaper than whoever the "wopper" was. Have no idea who the "wopper" was, but certainly not a player who would have signed a 1 year, 1.5M guar. deal!

I never said I was "sure", and never used that word. Just stating my opinion. So, there - I answered your question. Again, you need to work on reading comprehension.

Your turn to answer mine (good try deflecting it by the way) - show me where I said "Just because DHB doesn't do much for you"

You are trying to avoid the question by playing with words you might not have said "sure" but you did say

You're joking, right?  No way DHB is the "wopper"

He is certainly not the "wopper".

I also don't think you said sure.  I was asking what makes you so sure that he isn't the guy Irsay was talking about.  Based on you saying No way DHB was the wopper and he is certainly not the wopper I think it's safe to say that you are presenting yourself as if you are sure he isn't the guy the Irsay was talking about from the get go.  So I ask you again how do you know?  If you have some kind of inside knowledge to share with us please share.  If not then I don't think you do know that he wasn't the "wopper" Irsay has been talking about from the get go. 

None of us know.  I am willing to admit he might not have been but at the sametime this wouldn't be the first time this off-season Irsay has gotten really excited about a move that the fans didn't get nearly as excited about.  There have been no credible reports that show the Colts have talked to another free agent WR or went after another WR besides DHB.  There are reports that said the Colts were waiting for the asking price of the "mystery" WR to come down and reports that DHB was asking for too much money.  The Colts also had DHB in for a visit so I can easily see DHB very well being the guy Irsay was talking about from the start.  With that said I clearly don't know for a fact so I am not presenting it as a fact.  You are presenting your view point as it's a fact (and yes words like certainly and saying no way DHB is "wooper" are stating fact not an opinion).  So if you know it as a fact please share how you know.   That's all I am asking for.  If you don't know it's a fact just state it as an opinion that's all. 

Also you misinterpreted me saying because this move doesn't do much for you. I was referring to DHB not being a big enough name to be the "wooper" not that you were against the move.  I think I made that point clear in the rest of my post.  If you don't agree with that then I apologize for not being more clear and hope that now that I have explained it that my view point is more clear. 

Acording to profootballfocus:

Avery's drop rate in 2012 was the worst of any active WR, 16.67%.  (took a 3 year 9mill deal in KC)

T.Y. Hilton was actually tied with Avery in drop rate, making him equally terrible at catching football he should.

Heyward-Bey's drop rate was 35.7% his rookie year! The drop rate fell to 21.6% in 2010 and went even further to a very respectable 8.6% in 2011.

It spiked back up to 12.8% in 2012, which still kept him out of Avery-Hilton territory.After that NASTY concussion... with bad passers... he still was a marked improvement over Avery... ANDTY!

you all LOVE Hilton, you should be exstatic over DHB. with a solid passer like Luck, avery and TY dropped more passes than DHB from Captain Garbage time Palmer.

This signing is awsome. DHB will post his best season. i am glad he is on a prove-it contract to motivate him, and glad we get first shot at keeping him next year... it is going to cost us however. good thing we have free space next year too!

Acording to profootballfocus:

Avery's drop rate in 2012 was the worst of any active WR, 16.67%.  (took a 3 year 9mill deal in KC)

T.Y. Hilton was actually tied with Avery in drop rate, making him equally terrible at catching football he should.

Heyward-Bey's drop rate was 35.7% his rookie year! The drop rate fell to 21.6% in 2010 and went even further to a very respectable 8.6% in 2011.

It spiked back up to 12.8% in 2012, which still kept him out of Avery-Hilton territory.After that NASTY concussion... with bad passers... he still was a marked improvement over Avery... ANDTY!

you all LOVE Hilton, you should be exstatic over DHB. with a solid passer like Luck, avery and TY dropped more passes than DHB from Captain Garbage time Palmer.

This signing is awsome. DHB will post his best season. i am glad he is on a prove-it contract to motivate him, and glad we get first shot at keeping him next year... it is going to cost us however. good thing we have free space next year too!

nicely put

I also think he will be a very good addition to the team. And much cheaper than whoever the "wopper" was. Have no idea who the "wopper" was, but certainly not a player who would have signed a 1 year, 1.5M guar. deal!

Yeah, thing is, if he turns into a good player we can then give him the contract he wants.  I like the way this deal was set up.  Glad he chose us.  

"I was there for four years and I had three head coaches, four OC's (offensive coordinators), seven starting quarterbacks," said Heyward-Bey. "We had good times in Oakland. We went 8-8 at times and two years we went 4-12. I think my rookie year we won five games." -bey

You have Andrew Luck, in my opinion the best young quarterback out there," said Heyward-Bey.

"It's a confidence thing. You know that this guy is going to be your quarterback. There's no question about that. -bey

"In Oakland, there were times when we weren't sure going week-by-week and we had to adjust on the fly. Knowing that Andrew is going to be back there feels good."-bey

"To be able to acquire someone of his stature in this offense, where he will be running more slants, being able to utilize that size and speed, I think he can be a great asset for us."-Grigson

"I was there for four years and I had three head coaches, four OC's (offensive coordinators), seven starting quarterbacks," said Heyward-Bey. "We had good times in Oakland. We went 8-8 at times and two years we went 4-12. I think my rookie year we won five games." -bey

You have Andrew Luck, in my opinion the best young quarterback out there," said Heyward-Bey.

"It's a confidence thing. You know that this guy is going to be your quarterback. There's no question about that. -bey

"In Oakland, there were times when we weren't sure going week-by-week and we had to adjust on the fly. Knowing that Andrew is going to be back there feels good."-bey

"To be able to acquire someone of his stature in this offense, where he will be running more slants, being able to utilize that size and speed, I think he can be a great asset for us."-Grigson

To people who think constant QB changes don't affect WRs. Here you go.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, April 2, 2013 - personal shot
Hidden by Nadine, April 2, 2013 - personal shot

You are trying to avoid the question by playing with words you might not have said "sure" but you did say

I also don't think you said sure.  I was asking what makes you so sure that he isn't the guy Irsay was talking about.  Based on you saying No way DHB was the wopper and he is certainly not the wopper I think it's safe to say that you are presenting yourself as if you are sure he isn't the guy the Irsay was talking about from the get go.  So I ask you again how do you know?  If you have some kind of inside knowledge to share with us please share.  If not then I don't think you do know that he wasn't the "wopper" Irsay has been talking about from the get go. 

None of us know.  I am willing to admit he might not have been but at the sametime this wouldn't be the first time this off-season Irsay has gotten really excited about a move that the fans didn't get nearly as excited about.  There have been no credible reports that show the Colts have talked to another free agent WR or went after another WR besides DHB.  There are reports that said the Colts were waiting for the asking price of the "mystery" WR to come down and reports that DHB was asking for too much money.  The Colts also had DHB in for a visit so I can easily see DHB very well being the guy Irsay was talking about from the start.  With that said I clearly don't know for a fact so I am not presenting it as a fact.  You are presenting your view point as it's a fact (and yes words like certainly and saying no way DHB is "wooper" are stating fact not an opinion).  So if you know it as a fact please share how you know.   That's all I am asking for.  If you don't know it's a fact just state it as an opinion that's all. 

Also you misinterpreted me saying because this move doesn't do much for you. I was referring to DHB not being a big enough name to be the "wooper" not that you were against the move.  I think I made that point clear in the rest of my post.  If you don't agree with that then I apologize for not being more clear and hope that now that I have explained it that my view point is more clear. 

Sorry - didn't read.  Bored with you.  Bye.

IMO Polian was horrible in drafts in general, he happened to have the best QB that ever lived (IMO) that covered up all of his mistakes and gave you 12+ wins with teams with no defense and holes everywhere except WR and TE, Peyton made Polian and the Colts elite..... And I'm sure DHB is a good talent, but we are talking about ELITE talent, when I think ELITE talent I think of someone that would be extremely difficult to replace, I don't think DHB has that type of talent

Not to beat this drum to death but you guys are beyond delusional about Bill Polian. He put together the Buffalo Bills that went to 3 SBs in a row including drafting Hall of Famer's Bruce Smith, Andre Reed, and Thurman Thomas amoungst a bunch of other great players on those teams. He then took the Carolina Panthers to the NFC championship game in their second season. Come on...Houston still hasn't done that lol!! (jab at Texan fans). He then took over for us and not only took us to two SBs but here is a list of players he has drafted for us. 

98- 1st rd Peyton Manning (Remember this was not a slam dunk...it was even closer than RG3VSLUCK)

99-1st rd Edgerrin James (Picked over Ricky Williams another brilliant pick)

99-2nd rd Mike Petterson (Pro bowl lb) 7th rd Hunter Smith (pro bowl punter)

00-Rob Morris/Marcus Washington/David Macklin all solid contributers

01-1st rd Reggie Wayne 4th rd Ryan Diem (solid OL) 7th rd Rick DeMulling (decent starter)

02-1st rd Dwight Freeney 4th rd David Thorton (really good lb)

03-1st rd Dallas Clark (pro bowler) 5th rd Robert Mathis (pro bowler) 6th rd Cato June (solid lb)

04-1st rd Bob Sanders (pro bowler/DPY) 5th Rd Jake Scott (good OL)

05-1st rd Marlin Jackson (solid cb) 2nd rd Kelvin Hayden (solid cb)

06-1st rd Joeseph Addai (good rb) 2nd rd Tim Jennings (good cb) 6th rd Antoine Bethea

07-1st rd Anthony Gonzalez (injury bust) 2nd rd Ugoh (yes we know the story)

08-1st rd Mike Pollack (injury bust) 2nd rd Phillip Wheeler (solid lb) 3rd rd Jacob Tamme (solid TE) 6th rd Pierre Garcon (great wr)

09-1st rd Donald Brown (bust) 3rd rd Jerraud Powers (solid cb) 4th rd Austin Collie (good wr) 7th rd Pat McAffe (another pro bowl caliber punter)

10-1st rd Jerry Hughes (bust) 2nd Pat Angerer (solid lb) Kavell Conner (decent lb)

11-1st rd Anthony Castonzo (solid tackle) 2nd rd Ijalana (injury bust) 

Now the wheels definately fell off at the end (when Chris took over in 09) but overall Bill has a fine track record. He brought in solid players that fit our style of offense and the tampa 2 defense. It was definately time to go but man he has been a hall of fame general manager. We likely never get to a SB without him imo.

I think T.Y. Hilton is going to be the successor to Reggie Wayne.  Plus DHB as a colt is only going to enhance Hilton's productivity in the revamped west coast scheme.  I wrote an article about this.  http://fantasyfootballdraft13.blogspot.com/2013/04/fantasy-football-rising-stock-ty-hilton.html  I discuss the implications for Hilton's career.  I'd love some feedback.   Follow me on twitter @EricOnSports

With the right toppings and toasted bun he very well can turn into A whopper! Can't wait for these guys to come in and show the haters wrong!! Grigson and pagano are no dummies. They wouldn't have brought the guys in if they didn't think they were going to come in and kill it!

Yeah, thing is, if he turns into a good player we can then give him the contract he wants.  I like the way this deal was set up.  Glad he chose us.  

So am I.  I like the way the FO is building this team.  It appears we're about done with FA - with a few good draft picks, I really like our chances this year!

I read somewhere that the Colts will have the first chance on signing DHB again next year if he pans out...which I am sure he will.  If not it is low risk and let him go,  most of the free agents signed this year can be let go early with the exception of a few.  I think they r building a great team can't wait for the draft!!  When Reggie Wayne is your slowest reciever, that is a good problem to have! 

For all u Darrius Heyward Bey haters here is a list of QB's throwing to him since his rookie year with number of starts including preseason.

Carson Palmer 24

Jason Campbell 18

Jamarcus Russel 9

Bruce Gradkowski 8

Charlie Frye 3

Terrel Pryor 1

Carson Palmer is average at best any more, and the rest of that crew sucks BAD...he still put up good numbers!  GO COLTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I read somewhere that the Colts will have the first chance on signing DHB again next year if he pans out...which I am sure he will. If not it is low risk and let him go, most of the free agents signed this year can be let go early with the exception of a few. I think they r building a great team can't wait for the draft!! When Reggie Wayne is your slowest reciever, that is a good problem to have!

For all u Darrius Heyward Bey haters here is a list of QB's throwing to him since his rookie year with number of starts including preseason.

Carson Palmer 24

Jason Campbell 18

Jamarcus Russel 9

Bruce Gradkowski 8

Charlie Frye 3

Terrel Pryor 1

Carson Palmer is average at best any more, and the rest of that crew sucks BAD...he still put up good numbers! GO COLTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You forgot to add Kyle Boller