Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Oline info per rotoworld.

Indyfan4life

Coach Chuck Pagano confirmed the Colts will play Donald Thomas at left guard.

Thomas, who signed a four-year, $14 million contract, has played all three interior line positions. The Colts believe he's an equally strong pass protector as run blocker. If the season started today, Indy's O-Line would look like this: LT Anthony Castonzo, LG Thomas, C Samson Satele, RG Mike McGlynn, and RT Gosder Cherilus. They could afford to upgrade on McGlynn at right guard.

Source: Boston Globe Mar 22 - 4:00 PM

I definitely agree about the McGlynn statement.

do not want McGlynn out there at all

Coach Chuck Pagano confirmed the Colts will play Donald Thomas at left guard.
Thomas, who signed a four-year, $14 million contract, has played all three interior line positions. The Colts believe he's an equally strong pass protector as run blocker. If the season started today, Indy's O-Line would look like this: LT Anthony Castonzo, LG Thomas, C Samson Satele, RG Mike McGlynn, and RT Gosder Cherilus. They could afford to upgrade on McGlynn at right guard.
Source: Boston Globe Mar 22 - 4:00 PM

I definitely agree about the McGlynn statement.

What about Shipley and Ijlana? I like them both better than Satele and McGlynn

How do you know you like Ijalana more than McGlynn at guard?  He's never been seen at guard in the NFL.  Heck he's barely been seen at tackle in the NFL and coming off two major knee injuries there is no promise he is still the same player he was that we drafted and I would dare say no lock to make the team. 

As for Shipley I think most fans (including myself) like him more than Satele but I think this is a case that the coaches probably know something we don't.  I would say even last year I noticed Shipley's snaps would always come out low out of the shotgun to Luck.  I also think there is something to the idea that Satele was never really fully healthy last year.  He had that nagging knee injury just about all year last year.  Maybe if he's fully healthy he'll be what the Colts thoughts they were getting him. 

How do you know you like Ijalana more than McGlynn at guard?  He's never been seen at guard in the NFL.  Heck he's barely been seen at tackle in the NFL and coming off two major knee injuries there is no promise he is still the same player he was that we drafted and I would dare say no lock to make the team. 

As for Shipley I think most fans (including myself) like him more than Satele but I think this is a case that the coaches probably know something we don't.  I would say even last year I noticed Shipley's snaps would always come out low out of the shotgun to Luck.  I also think there is something to the idea that Satele was never really fully healthy last year.  He had that nagging knee injury just about all year last year.  Maybe if he's fully healthy he'll be what the Colts thoughts they were getting him. 

I think he was saying it would be ideal if Ijalana can come back and be what we expected when we drafted him.  I like Shipley too, but I think he was hurt a lot last year when he was playing.  I'm one of the few that thought McGlynn wasn't that bad.  I prefer a healthy Reitz though.  Thank goodness Olsen is gone.

Notice how we both used the "if healthy" term when talking about our O Linemen?  That's our biggest problem in a nutshell.

I can't believe they still would have McGlynn in at RG. I wish they would get on the phone and call Kevin Boothe's agent. He's about the best guard still remaining on the market except maybe Brandon Moore, but Boothe is 3 yrs/ younger.

Mcgylnn is one of the two worst guards in the league, the other is Olsen. I hope Grigson does not plan on playing the 2013 season with Mcglynn as a starter, this would be a huge mistake. Mcglynn is horrible, I can't for the life of me figure out what it is, that they see in Mcglynn and don't see in Shipley.

I think he was saying it would be ideal if Ijalana can come back and be what we expected when we drafted him.  I like Shipley too, but I think he was hurt a lot last year when he was playing.  I'm one of the few that thought McGlynn wasn't that bad.  I prefer a healthy Reitz though.  Thank goodness Olsen is gone.

Notice how we both used the "if healthy" term when talking about our O Linemen?  That's our biggest problem in a nutshell.

Even so this love affair with Ijalana as a guard is something I've never understood.  He's a tackle who has never played guard.  I am not saying the Colts can't try it and it might not work, in fact I've included him on the guys I've listed that could challenge for the other starting guard spot, but I don't think people can say it's a sure thing or say they know they like him over someone else at this point.  He's a complete unknown at guard. 

I agree with you about McGlynn I honestly thought he kept getting better as the year went along last year and the more comfortable he got in the offense.  I don't know if he's the best guard in the NFL in fact I've said it before I think he's one of those guys if he's your fourth or fifth best o-lineman you are probalby okay just in several games for us last year he was our second or third best lineman and then you are probalbly in trouble. 

I have really liked what I have seen from Reitz when heathly but you hit the nail on the head when you said the issue with him is just staying healthy. 

Mcgylnn is one of the two worst guards in the league, the other is Olsen. I hope Grigson does not plan on playing the 2013 season with Mcglynn as a starter, this would be a huge mistake. Mcglynn is horrible, I can't for the life of me figure out what it is, that they see in Mcglynn and don't see in Shipley.

So he's worse than any other back up in the league than Olsen and he was worse than guys backing him up last year?  Sorry I do not agree.  I think you are trying to be senstional because you don't like McGlynn which is fine.  I don't think McGlynn is great but I don't think he's one of the worst two players in the league at his poistion either. 

I'm thinking we'll have a rookie starting at right guard.

What about Anderson? 

He's sorta just been forgotten.  I know he was a late round pick but late round picks have been turned into good starting lineman before in this league.  He missed all of last year due to an injury but my guess, and it's a complete guess, that Grigson thinks he could become a starter at some point based on what he has said about draft picks before. 

What about Anderson? 

He's sorta just been forgotten.  I know he was a late round pick but late round picks have been turned into good starting lineman before in this league.  He missed all of last year due to an injury but my guess, and it's a complete guess, that Grigson thinks he could become a starter at some point based on what he has said about draft picks before. 

I have heard precious little positive info on Anderson, from the time he was drafted until now. I know he's been hurt, but he wasn't very highly rated before he was drafted. His conditioning was reportedly terrible during camp. He's a big ugly, and he's a very strong kid, but raw technically. If he can stay on the field, and if he can get in a game and make an impression, he might have a chance. But as of right now, I think he's on the outside looking in.

Even so this love affair with Ijalana as a guard is something I've never understood.  He's a tackle who has never played guard.  I am not saying the Colts can't try it and it might not work, in fact I've included him on the guys I've listed that could challenge for the other starting guard spot, but I don't think people can say it's a sure thing or say they know they like him over someone else at this point.  He's a complete unknown at guard. 

I agree with you about McGlynn I honestly thought he kept getting better as the year went along last year and the more comfortable he got in the offense.  I don't know if he's the best guard in the NFL in fact I've said it before I think he's one of those guys if he's your fourth or fifth best o-lineman you are probalby okay just in several games for us last year he was our second or third best lineman and then you are probalbly in trouble. 

I have really liked what I have seen from Reitz when heathly but you hit the nail on the head when you said the issue with him is just staying healthy. 

Ijilana did play guard for us in 2011, the games he was healthy, and he did a great job.

Ijilana did play guard for us in 2011, the games he was healthy, and he did a great job.

No he didn't he played tackle in the pre-season and then played left tackle for Castonzo in a game vs. the Bucs when Castonzo got hurt and then got hurt himself in the same game. 

No he didn't he played tackle in the pre-season and then played left tackle for Castonzo in a game vs. the Bucs when Castonzo got hurt and then got hurt himself in the same game. 

I don't remember what games he played in, but this says he appeared in four games in 2011. I seem to remember him playing guard at some point, but I'm not certain of that.

Either way, he was projected as a tackle/guard before the draft. A lot of people think he can play guard, the team designated him as a competitor for guard last year in camp, and given that we have our bookends at tackle, that's his best bet right now. If he's even healthy. We have a glaring need at right guard, and I would expect him to compete there, or as a utility backup between guard and tackle.

What about Shipley and Ijlana? I like them both better than Satele and McGlynn

These things will all work out in the mini camps and especially training camp. This is just how it looks today...it will probably look a little different in September...i.e. McGlynn to backup or gonzo.

I don't remember what games he played in, but this says he appeared in four games in 2011. I seem to remember him playing guard at some point, but I'm not certain of that.

Either way, he was projected as a tackle/guard before the draft. A lot of people think he can play guard, the team designated him as a competitor for guard last year in camp, and given that we have our bookends at tackle, that's his best bet right now. If he's even healthy. We have a glaring need at right guard, and I would expect him to compete there, or as a utility backup between guard and tackle.

He was one of the up men on Special Teams and spelled the right tackle for a play or two for a drive.  He has not played guard.  Remember the quote from Polian asking if they would try him at guard and Polian saying he's a tackle and they would leave him at tackle. 

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/colts_polian_ijalana_is_a_tackle_drake_nevis_will_play_the_nose/6062224

Also here is a write up after Polian was fired after Ijalan was hurt last year talking about him coming into the league as a tackle.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/39045/colts-ol-ijalana-will-rehab-left-knee-again

The idea of moving Ijalana has been around since he got here the Colts have just never done it in a game.  Again I am not saying they couldn't do it but they haven't done it and it's unknown how he will do as a guard in the NFL so this idea that some seem to have here that he is a known product at guard is not true.  it looks like Pagano thinks he could be a guard and I am not saying he can't.  I am just saying he hasn't done it yet. 

What about Anderson? 

If he can't start over Mcglynn then he really sucks.

So he's worse than any other back up in the league than Olsen and he was worse than guys backing him up last year?  Sorry I do not agree.  I think you are trying to be senstional because you don't like McGlynn which is fine.  I don't think McGlynn is great but I don't think he's one of the worst two players in the league at his poistion either. 

Yes dude, I was stressing a point, but I do think he was the worst starting guard in the league and I don't see how our backups could do any worse.

ONe of those Colts.com articles a year ago said Mcglynn is a leader and has the prototypical nasty attitude you want a lineman to have.  I'm sure that plays into it somewhat.  Plus he's one of the biggest guys we have, is he not?

He weighs more than most of them, but he's definitely not very strong. His legs are skinny and not very powerful. IMO that is why he constantly gets knocked out of his stance and then has to try to catch up. He don't have the lower body strength to anchor himself properly which destroys any other technique he may have. He's beat before he ever gets a chance to use his upper body strength.

00 Cherilus, Gosder O-Line OT  6-7 325 28 6 Boston College

72 Linkenbach, Jeff O-Line OT   6-6 323 25 3 Cincinnati

60 Sowell, Bradley O-Line OT   6-7 320 23 R Mississippi

63 Ziemba, Lee O-Line OT   6-6 320 23 2 Auburn

74 Castonzo, Anthony O-Line OT  6-7 315 24 2 Boston College

75 McGlynn, Mike O-Line G/C   6-4 327 28 5 Pittsburgh

79 Anderson, Justin O-Line G   6-5 342 24 R Georgia

71 Ijalana, Ben O-Line G   6-4 337 23 2 Villanova

00 Griffin, Robert O-Line G   6-6 330 23 R Baylor

76 Reitz, Joe O-Line G   6-7 322 27 2 Western Michigan

00 Thomas, Donald O-Line G  6-4 305 27 6 Connecticut

62 Shipley, A.Q. O-Line C   6-1 309 26 1 Penn State

64 Satele, Samson O-Line C  6-3 299 28 6 Hawaii

He weighs more than most of them, but he's definitely not very strong. His legs are skinny and not very powerful. IMO that is why he constantly gets knocked out of his stance and then has to try to catch up. He don't have the lower body strength to anchor himself properly which destroys any other technique he may have. He's beat before he ever gets a chance to use his upper body strength.

Yeah, unfortunately his first moves are on his face as the defender blows by him, or on his butt, as they run over him.

Using the Colts.com roster;

Ijalana is on the roster, and he's listed as a guard, not a tackle.

McGlynn weighs less than all the guards except Thomas. He's also listed as a center. Understands the line calls?

Anyway, for McGlynn to start at RG he'll have to out perform 4 other guards already on the roster, plus a possible draft pick.

Finally, with nothing to base it on but my gut, I think it's likely a guard will be drafted this year too.

75 McGlynn, Mike O-Line G/C 6-4 327 28 5 Pittsburgh

79 Anderson, Justin O-Line G 6-5 342 24 R Georgia

71 Ijalana, Ben O-Line G 6-4 337 23 2 Villanova

00 Griffin, Robert O-Line G 6-6 330 23 R Baylor

76 Reitz, Joe O-Line G 6-7 322 27 2 Western Michigan

00 Thomas, Donald O-Line G 6-4 305 27 6 Connecticut

I have to see a whole lot more from Anthony Castonzo to believe in him as our LT. He was just as bad as everyone else last season. Playoff game he had to be the worst on the field. YouTube our playoff game and watch him closely...

I always saw Costanzo as a RT. Last year during the combine even Jeff Saturday spoke about that saying he has the feet of a RT. I think the goal was possibly to have him slide over and Ijalana play LT but injuries thwarted that. Now its clear Costanzo is a LT because no way we pay Cherilus all that dough.

I believe they think someone will play their way into that RG position....that said we have seen most these guys over 2 years and none have shown even a flash of being a solid OG. I agree with some others...I think we target a guard in the draft to groom. If its a first rounder I'm sure they will push him out there and start him but if not they will try to groom one. It will be interesting the first rd this year in what we do. Gotta go BPA and with needs at OLB, OG, and WR it will be exciting to see how the draft plays out. We still could get a starter on day 1.

Ahhhh.....   it's spring.....   and a young football fan's fancy turns to offensive line play....   and,  here we go again....

This player sucks!    That player sucks!    This player is the worst in the NFL!     If the Colts didn't have him on the roster,  no team would -- he's terrible!

And yet,  Ryan Grigson,  himself a former offensive lineman,  brought these guys in last year and is bringing some of them back this year.   And the one's he's not bringing back are getting picked up by other teams....

Hmmmm.....     what do you think Grigson knows that all of our Colts' fans don't seem to????    Hmmmmm???

Either those players have pictures of Grigson doing something he shouldn't be doing and they're black-mailing him,  or maybe -- just maybe -- Grigson understands the nuances of line play that our fans here don't seem to.....

OK....    that's enough....   I'll wait a few seconds for posters here to go off on my post......

That's in 3...  2....  1.....          :panic:

Would you please tell winter that?

I know....    I know....   it may not be spring where you are....

But I think technically spring hit this week....

Besides,   in my neck of the woods,  lots of 60's and 70's.... 

And even a few 80's out here...   (and I hate 80's this time of year!   Hate it!!!)

I know....    I know....   it may not be spring where you are....

But I think technically spring hit this week....

Besides,   in my neck of the woods,  lots of 60's and 70's.... 

And even a few 80's out here...   (and I hate 80's this time of year!   Hate it!!!)

That's just not fair we are looking at 6 to 10 inches of snow this weekend...

I will gladly trade you that for your 80's.  With that said enough derailing the thread so I return you to the o-line thread.

I think McGlynn is terrible. He is a notch better than Seth Olsen, who we finally got rid of.   I still view Satele and McGlynn as the weak links of the line.  And unfortunately, that means pressure up the middle.  I am glad for the two new additions, but I would still like to see someone other than McGlynn or LInkenbeast get the RG spot.  Anderson or Ijalana would be nice.