Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Could the helmet rule change help the Colts?

AntonMcG

Okay, now without the sarcasm...... what's the helmet rule?

Running backs cannot lower their helmet in the direction of the opponent upon contact. This will hurt their velocity a they try to gain extra yards after contact.

That being said, defenders cannot lower their helmet either, but it will effect running backs significantly more due to the fact that they often are the players entering the collision with the greater momentum.

Running backs cannot lower their helmet in the direction of the opponent upon contact. This will hurt their velocity a they try to gain extra yards after contact.

That being said, defenders cannot lower their helmet either, but it will effect running backs significantly more due to the fact that they often are the players entering the collision with the greater momentum.

Is it a penalty if they do it? And this only hurts MJD. Foster & CJ2K were more "elusive" so to speak.

Now with that being said...... LANDRY IS GONNA DESTROY THEM!!!!! haha

This rule is just a "fluff" rule to role into court with when this whole concussion court case goes down...     

They are going over board trying to establish the fact that the NFL is "ALL ABOUT SAFETY"...     

If they really do begin to start calling this on a regular basis it will be the beginning of the end.     

It's all about an upcoming court battle....   

IMO, if you want to play PRO football...       sign a waiver.          The union will never let it happen.    And this could end the game as we know it.

This league is dangerously close to imploding.  

I just say call it the "NFL"

National Flag Football League

All these rules are just getting out of hand. Football is a violent game. When you sign your contract, you're basically signing your life away imo. You don't wanna get hurt? Don't play, it's quite simple actually

I don't see how they are ever going to be able to enforce this rule. It is way to subjective and open to interpretation. And to the guy that said RB's rarely spear, that is not true at all. NFL network was running a reel on this today and RB after RB does this constantly. It is almost an involuntary reaction that I don't think many RB's even realize they do because it's just the way they have been doing it since they were kids. 

Is it a penalty if they do it? And this only hurts MJD. Foster & CJ2K were more "elusive" so to speak.

Now with that being said...... LANDRY IS GONNA DESTROY THEM!!!!! haha

I heard 15-yard penalty mentioned, similar the the spear tackle.

I don't agree that this rule only effects power backs. Most RB's lower their head upon impact, it is a fundamental skill taught to running backs to get yards after contact.

I think it will be more of a technique thing that anything else, as Balzer mentioned this rule would be very much based on interpretation, and the proper technique of the RB when they are making themselves low will be crucial to whether they get called for leading with their helmet or not.

Not CJ, but doesn't matter, we handle him very well.

I hate this rule.

Yeah, this rule seems like one of those attempts to fix something by applying the wrong remedy.  Jim Brown was on NFL net talking about it...he said it was an unnecessary and cumbersome rule and all they needed to do was deal more severely with those certain dirty players who are always trying to injure.

I don't see how they are ever going to be able to enforce this rule. It is way to subjective and open to interpretation. And to the guy that said RB's rarely spear, that is not true at all. NFL network was running a reel on this today and RB after RB does this constantly. It is almost an involuntary reaction that I don't think many RB's even realize they do because it's just the way they have been doing it since they were kids. 

Think your analogy is probably right on the money my Friend,but this leaves more ways for bad officials to control outcomes of games IMO

It wont change nothing, Goodell cant seem to get it through his thick skull that bodies flying around the field at a high rate of speed that are trying to bring another player down will inevitably more often then not jar the neck causing the head to snap back or forward thereby increasing the chances of a helmet to helmet hit regardless of the players or positions involved, Physics 101. I'd suggest Goodell take that class

All these rules are just getting out of hand. Football is a violent game. When you sign your contract, you're basically signing your life away imo. You don't wanna get hurt? Don't play, it's quite simple actually

That is just plain silly. The NFL is up to their a$$es in lawsuit from former players now. It will only get worse in the future. I don't think you will even recognize the game in ten years.....

the only guys in the league who lower their head on a regular basis are micheal turner, brandon jacobs and austin collie. the rest do it occasionally, so it isn't gonna affect the league too much.

( and i know Austin is a receiver but the rules implies to everybody.)

This has got to be one of the stupidest rule changes I have seen.  A RB can't lower his head?  It's basic instinct to lower your head and shoulders when you want to power through something.  By not allowing RBs to lower their head, they could potentially leave more of their body exposed.  Concussions might go down, but other injuries might not...they might go up.  Has the rule been passed or is it still in the discussion phase?

This has got to be one of the stupidest rule changes I have seen. A RB can't lower his head? It's basic instinct to lower your head and shoulders when you want to power through something. By not allowing RBs to lower their head, they could potentially leave more of their body exposed. Concussions might go down, but other injuries might not...they might go up. Has the rule been passed or is it still in the discussion phase?

See the wording of this is confusing to me.

The way I interpreted it was that a RB can't lead with the crown and "spear" forward, not that he can't duck his head inward to protect himself.

Honestly without seeing what will get flagged I have no clue.

I don't like this rule, and a lot of the other changes, but it's comments like these that convince me that the NFL can't win.

See the wording of this is confusing to me.

The way I interpreted it was that a RB can't lead with the crown and "spear" forward, not that he can't duck his head inward to protect himself.

Honestly without seeing what will get flagged I have no clue.

So these two clips would be illegal?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yDH6x5JW7M

But if the defender or RB were a step to the side and the collision ended up being a shoulder hit, would it still be illegal?

So these two clips would be illegal?

But if the defender or RB were a step to the side and the collision ended up being a shoulder hit, would it still be illegal?

The first one might have been in the tackle box though I'm not 100%.

But from my understanding of the rule the Richardson play was against this new rule.

the only guys in the league who lower their head on a regular basis are micheal turner, brandon jacobs and austin collie. the rest do it occasionally, so it isn't gonna affect the league too much.

I have no idea how you came to this conclusion. Turner and Jacobs are actually less likely to be effected as they will be 'inside the tackle box' more when they run... it's the open space guys who will be flagged. Most RB runs end with the runner lowering his head.

This has got to be one of the stupidest rule changes I have seen.  A RB can't lower his head?  It's basic instinct to lower your head and shoulders when you want to power through something.  By not allowing RBs to lower their head, they could potentially leave more of their body exposed.  Concussions might go down, but other injuries might not...they might go up.  Has the rule been passed or is it still in the discussion phase?

You can still make yourself low on impact, but it will be very much a technique change for many RBs that will be the issue, leading more with a shoulder I presume.

Does it apply to WRs? Many penalties/fines on DBs and LBs these past few seasons were due to the WR instinctively lowering his helmet mere microseconds prior to impact. It's just part of the game. I am all for eliminating head shots by defensive players, they need to see what they hit. But this is taking it too far.