Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I've Got Cap Numbers

Andy

Well going by the initial approximation of 47 million. 90% of that is 42.3, if we spent 31, that leaves approximately 10 million to reach minimum.

We don't have to spend 90%. The number is 89% that is is based over a 4 yr. period(2013-2016 seasons). In other words, if the total cap over the next 4 yrs. = 550 mil. we would have to spend 489.5 mil. over those 4 seasons. Teams do not have a minimum they need to spend each yr., only a minimum of 89% over 4 yrs..

I think Pollard will command a little too much money for us to bring him in as a backup. I think Lefeged done fine last yr. when he was forced to play. We only have a little over 10 mil left on our cap space so Pollard won't happen.

He was cut by the Ravens because of $3.2 mil. being too much for him???

I think we can get him for 2 yrs. at $2-2.5 per, IMO. He is a 1 yr. insurance policy for Bethea too since Bethea will hit free agency next year.

But yes, the ideal situation would be that a rookie safety drafted in 2013 will pan out within a year.

We don't have to spend 90%. The number is 89% that is is based over a 4 yr. period(2013-2016 seasons). In other words, if the total cap over the next 4 yrs. = 550 mil. we would have to spend 489.5 mil. over those 4 seasons. Teams do not have a minimum they need to spend each yr., only a minimum of 89% over 4 yrs..

Ty for clarification :)

we don't have to spend 90% this season. why do people keep saying that

Because I can't remember where it was but someone provided the info on it. That's what I am going off of. If I am wrong, so be it. I was just saying by what info I have seen.

Well there's the answer, but if they don't spend much here, they will be paying a lot if money to people later on. Maybe the expected increase in luck.

Well there's the answer, but if they don't spend much here, they will be paying a lot if money to people later on. Maybe the expected increase in luck.

It would be wise for any team to come close to that 89% each yr., but they don't have to. The cap is expected to jump significantly in 2015 so if teams don't at least come close to 89% each yr, they could be caught off guard come the 2015 season and have to end up over paying a bunch bad players to meet that 89% total.

I think we can get him for 2 yrs. at $2-2.5 per, IMO. He is a 1 yr. insurance policy for Bethea too since Bethea will hit free agency next year.

But yes, the ideal situation would be that a rookie safety drafted in 2013 will pan out within a year.

Right!

I'd rather draft a kid from the 3rd on who would only run us anywhere from $1 mill & change on down to $450ish thousand this year.

So....it seems like we're pretty sure that the team has spent about 34 mill which includes, FAs, tenders to our guys, McAfee....basically EVERYBODY.  And we have anywhere from 7-10 million left for other FAs, tenders and draft picks.  Right?? :thinking:

He was cut by the Ravens because of $3.2 mil. being too much for him???

do you see us moving on from Bethea?

do you see us moving on from Bethea?

Yes after next year I believe we will.It all has to do with upcoming big contracts,we will have to resign LUCK,and crew before you know it.But then again it seems the price for DBs and safeties are 30% down from previous years.

Numbers were just released.

The Colts have spent $31,535,333 in cap dollars.

Now they started with about 44M, so the Colts have about 12.5M left in cap space. 

They've been busy, and they've filled a lot of needs, so this was all worth it. 

Thanks for the post.

Sincerely, and I mean no offense to you, cap numbers change everytime the NFL speaks.  it's like black magic - I'm not convinced that even the NFL HQ understands them!  :)      Peace and thanks again.

Thanks for the valuable info.

{rant on} I do global consulting and have never seen an industry where companies are forced to spend an increasing amount on compensation each few years.   I'd love to see the NFL decrease the cap 3-5% per year for a while to make tickets more affordable for the average Joe.  The players are already making an obscene amount of money.  {rant off}

Thanks for the valuable info.

{rant on} I do global consulting and have never seen an industry where companies are forced to spend an increasing amount on compensation each few years.   I'd love to see the NFL decrease the cap 3-5% per year for a while to make tickets more affordable for the average Joe.  The players are already making an obscene amount of money.  {rant off}

The cap was $128m in 2009, then 2010 was uncapped. When the new CBA came out, the cap went all the way down to $120m, about a 6% decrease. It was $120.6m in 2012, and it's gone up to $123m for 2013. So there's the decrease you were looking for.

It's not going to translate to ticket savings because the NFL is in very high demand.

Also, teams aren't forced to sign player contracts just to meet the salary threshold. But the money does have to be spent. If they're below the threshold for the four year period, they basically have to pay the difference of to the players.

some of that 13 million has to go to rookies and they need to save some to sign guys as guys go on IR.  One guy on twitter I saw said six million for rookies and two to three million for guys to go on IR.  So subtract that from our cap number.

Based on the picks we have right now, we only need to allocate about $3m for signing draft picks. And because of the top 51 rule, only the first and third rounders would count against the cap until the season starts. 

We shouldn't be too worried about those rookie contracts. A late first and no second rounder. Cap-wise we still have money to make moves. Saving money to sign Davis to a long term deal and possibly Bethea. Of course Luck will cost us over 100 million when his contract comes up. We will have to get creative. 

The cap was $128m in 2009, then 2010 was uncapped. When the new CBA came out, the cap went all the way down to $120m, about a 6% decrease. It was $120.6m in 2012, and it's gone up to $123m for 2013. So there's the decrease you were looking for.

It's not going to translate to ticket savings because the NFL is in very high demand.

Also, teams aren't forced to sign player contracts just to meet the salary threshold. But the money does have to be spent. If they're below the threshold for the four year period, they basically have to pay the difference of to the players.

Thanks for the info - didn't know that.

Nice. I know we have draft picks to go yet but we're in good shape.

I'm wondering if Grigs keeps below the 90% in order to have more room for Luck when his time comes?

Don't think so, i believe the new CBA requires teams to spend either 90 or 95% of the cap every year in player compensation.

Don't think so, i believe the new CBA requires teams to spend either 90 or 95% of the cap every year in player compensation.

No, it's an average over a four year period. You can look it up in the CBA.

That being said, it doesn't look like Irsay is saving any money.