Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Noticing a pattern with these signings

BProland85

When we released players like Brackett, Saturday, Dallas and some dude named Peyton at the start of last year, it was to open up cap space for this season. That cap space should not be used on overpaying depth players and ramming them into the team. What a waste.

Brackett, Saturday, and Clark are no longer in the NFL.  Clark is a FA and will probably not be signed anywhere.  GET OVER MANNING, or go join a Broncos board. 

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Brackett, Saturday, and Clark are no longer in the NFL.  Clark is a FA and will probably not be signed anywhere.  GET OVER MANNING, or go join a Broncos board. 

I'm very much over Manning, in fact, at the time I was one of the few who supported going for Luck over him. He's an absolute legend, but believe me, I'm more over him than most people on here. My point was just, there seems little point cutting half the roster, just to fill it with players who aren't actually good. I get that we need quantity as well as quality - but we've gone overboard on the quantity and given them too much money. 

I'm very much over Manning, in fact, at the time I was one of the few who supported going for Luck over him. He's an absolute legend, but believe me, I'm more over him than most people on here. My point was just, there seems little point cutting half the roster, just to fill it with players who aren't actually good. I get that we need quantity as well as quality - but we've gone overboard on the quantity and given them too much money.

Too much money in your opinion. Guessing the folks who get paid to make decsions know more than we do

Too much money in your opinion. Guessing the folks who get paid to make decsions know more than we do

Sure, if they think their on field play is worth the money - however that remains to be seen and I'm very doubtful. My main issue is that I can't believe that we couldn't have signed these players for less, because they're certainly not highly rated through the rest of the league, so how much leverage could they possibly have?! That's a more objective view on their worth - whether we could have got them for less.

Sure, if they think their on field play is worth the money - however that remains to be seen and I'm very doubtful. My main issue is that I can't believe that we couldn't have signed these players for less, because they're certainly not highly rated through the rest of the league, so how much leverage could they possibly have?! That's a more objective view on their worth - whether we could have got them for less.

tell us...what team are you the GM of again?

When we released players like Brackett, Saturday, Dallas and some dude named Peyton at the start of last year, it was to open up cap space for this season. That cap space should not be used on overpaying depth players and ramming them into the team. What a waste.

You think?

I think it was to get better last year and to sign guys that fit what Pagano wants, which is also what they're doing this year.  They're doing exactly what they did last year that won us 11 games.

tell us...what team are you the GM of again?

Such lazy logic. If I'm not allowed to give negative opinions, then you're not allowed to give positive ones, because you're just as qualified as I am, so your opinion counts for just as much. And you had better hope I don't ever see you criticising a player's performance on here because which team do you play for?

It seems that Grigs is signing players for cheaper contracts for depth. With the exception of Cherilus and possibly Toler and Thomas, most of these guys are going to be depth players. Im still not buying into both Toler and Thomas starting though.

Does anyone have a source on the contracts of these signings?

Who are these people

FOs make mistakes all the time....they aren't perfect and these could end up busts.  So I think discussing that possibility is fair game.  IMO, we are better now then when we began the day.  But until the salaries are official, we won't know if we overpaid or not.

FOs make mistakes all the time....they aren't perfect and these could end up busts.  So I think discussing that possibility is fair game.  IMO, we are better now then when we began the day.  But until the salaries are official, we won't know if we overpaid or not.

We wont know then if we did,only times gonna tell that :hmm:

I think our Super Bowl winners have made tremendous mistakes......they will have a second year linebacker who is good against the run....Dolphins spending too much to lose again....

We are now in HOUR 3 of the frenzy!!!!  Hour 3... :spit:  :funny:  :lol:  haha

I think our Super Bowl winners have made tremendous mistakes......they will have a second year linebacker who is good against the run....Dolphins spending too much to lose again....

:disco:  :banana:  :headspin:  :monkeydance:  :excited:

Very true Brent. Depending on how these deals were structured, I doubt we've even spent 15 mil towards our cap yet, so I expect more news to come out later tonight or tomorrow. I was a little disappointed at first but I'm liking how were doing things. Still a lot of names out there that haven't been gobbled up yet. Plus Irsay said Grigson was on a plane with 100 million dollars(exaggeration on his part), but there is more on the way.

Very true Brent. Depending on how these deals were structured, I doubt we've even spent 15 mil towards our cap yet, so I expect more news to come out later tonight or tomorrow. I was a little disappointed at first but I'm liking how were doing things. Still a lot of names out there that haven't been gobbled up yet. Plus Irsay said Grigson was on a plane with 100 million dollars(exaggeration on his part), but there is more on the way.

Well said my Freind im outta my likes quota

My likes stop at Balzer every time...these are days we should have unlimited!!!  I refuse to get down in hour 3.5...

Avril being talked about now....Colts/Rams....

This is a long ordeal...not a sprint....I like going after hungry players...I know I am a freaking nut...

funnycrazyfaces21582926.jpg

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

I'll slow down.  He wanted the money to be used on big names.  Manning, Saturday, Clark, and even Brackett are big names, and that's pretty much all casual fans know.  It gets old reading these posts, and then 6 months later reading how glad they are these moves were made. 

Darius Butler was a joke before he came here.  Now, many want him back, for example.

lmao, what? How did you even get that from his post....

I'll slow down.  He wanted the money to be used on big names.  Manning, Saturday, Clark, and even Brackett are big names, and that's pretty much all casual fans know.  It gets old reading these posts, and then 6 months later reading how glad they are these moves were made. 

Darius Butler was a joke before he came here.  Now, many want him back, for example.

"GET OVER MANNING, or go join a Broncos board."

Somehow I don't see the connection between your explanation, and telling someone to get over Manning being in Denver.

May I suggest hoping back on I-80 and going 2300 miles then?

Look at his avatar.  Get over Manning people, he's the enemy now.

"GET OVER MANNING, or go join a Broncos board."

Somehow I don't see the connection between your explanation, and telling someone to get over Manning being in Denver.

May I suggest hoping back on I-80 and going 2300 miles then?

Look at his avatar.  Get over Manning people, he's the enemy now.

You do realize that is from South Park where they made fun of the NFL. Peyton is wearing a tin foil hat and a bra.

I can guarantee Dan isn't trying to honor Peyton with that picture.

Something I noticed is it seems like several of these players have had a couple years of sub-par play but just recently have come on and improved their play within the last year.  

It could be that these guys are undervalued because everyone remembers their previous years of sub-par play so much that they just can't get past it even though they have started to play better.  

I guess after getting us to an 11-5 season last year Grigson has earned the right for us to trust him on this one.  

Such lazy logic. If I'm not allowed to give negative opinions, then you're not allowed to give positive ones, because you're just as qualified as I am, so your opinion counts for just as much. And you had better hope I don't ever see you criticising a player's performance on here because which team do you play for?

Giving a negative opinion is one thing, but statements like:

that's far more than "giving an opinion".  You stated, as fact, that the rest of the league does not consider the players we signed to be highly rated when, in fact, there is no possible way you could know how other teams valued the players we signed.  If Grigson valued them as much as he did then why would it possibly be hard to believe that other teams would have as well?

that's far more than "giving an opinion".  You stated, as fact, that the rest of the league does not consider the players we signed to be highly rated when, in fact, there is no possible way you could know how other teams valued the players we signed.  If Grigson valued them as much as he did then why would it possibly be hard to believe that other teams would have as well?

Okay, that's not strictly opinion, but a fairly reasonable assumption. Have you seen the way the deal has been treated by pretty much everybody? Unless every GM in the league lives in a very tiny bubble with completely different views from everybody else in the world, it's seen as paying him more than he should have got. 

Otherwise, following the same logic, would you be surprised if with the #2 pick, Jaguars selected, say, Stephan Taylor? You'd surely argue his value on that, not least because they could have taken him almost definitely in the second. Or would you disagree with that because it'd be impossible to tell where other teams would have taken him? 

I am back here to talk about Walden yet again.  What we continued to see in a disconcerting way was our OLBs beaten by not playing any semblance of 'contain' defense.  Freeney, Mathis, and Hughes continued to rush up the field 3-5 yards past the QB and players such as Jamaal Charles and Arian Foster annihilated us on big runs to the outside.  See Grigson's comments on "setting the edge."  OLB is not just a Freeney rush....

Grigson made some good points in a Bob Kravitz article in the Indianapolis Star today.  I wanted to share.  I am still in favor of this approach as it leads us straight where I thought we would be on Draft Day!  BPA by need....makes it soooo easy.   :colts:  :coltslogo:  :coltsfb:  :pass: !!!!

http://www.indystar.com/article/20130313/SPORTS15/303130045/Colts-GM-Ryan-Grigson-avoids-dream-team-approach-discusses-new-additions-says-Bob-Kravitz

Good points.  I feel agents researched their clients markets and had a reasonable assessment of who (and how many) was interested in their client(s).  Thus they set the market on that assessment.  If someone accepts within the first day, then the agents were correct.  Being correct is where players and agents cash in.  They put in effort so they're not wrong.  Sometimes I think we as fans can easily believe every single players is overpaid. nobody out there worth their pay, and those that are should reduce it for the sake of their teams needing buck for other players. 

I think the younger you are and the less injury history on your resume, the better chance to make your asking price.  Older guys, with an injury history, are being passed over in the early stages.  The cap is dictating some of these moves.

Get your role players and depth in free agency and your playmakers (and developmental playmakers) in the draft. :)

I do think we'll see at least one playmaker signing, possibly 2. Landry and avril perhaps?

Love that strategy....but....

We have A LOT of money....

Draft picks aren't a gaurantee....

Luck cannot get hit like last year....

Love that strategy....but....

We have A LOT of money....

Draft picks aren't a gaurantee....

Luck cannot get hit like last year....

Lots of time left in FA....analysis....and preparation for the draft....

If we go and look at our roster, IR, PS, and Reserve/Future we have some interesting talent that did not see the field.  Grigson and Pagano know who will see the field and who will not...Lets get Landry signed, get another guard and DT...or OLB in the draft and strap on the pads.... :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:

I am back here to talk about Walden yet again.  What we continued to see in a disconcerting way was our OLBs beaten by not playing any semblance of 'contain' defense.  Freeney, Mathis, and Hughes continued to rush up the field 3-5 yards past the QB and players such as Jamaal Charles and Arian Foster annihilated us on big runs to the outside.  See Grigson's comments on "setting the edge."  OLB is not just a Freeney rush....

Grigson made some good points in a Bob Kravitz article in the Indianapolis Star today.  I wanted to share.  I am still in favor of this approach as it leads us straight where I thought we would be on Draft Day!  BPA by need....makes it soooo easy.   :colts:  :coltslogo:  :coltsfb:  :pass: !!!!

http://www.indystar.com/article/20130313/SPORTS15/303130045/Colts-GM-Ryan-Grigson-avoids-dream-team-approach-discusses-new-additions-says-Bob-Kravitz

Thanks for the article ,supprising at that,didnt expect this from him,expected pessimism Refreshing

Lots of time left in FA....analysis....and preparation for the draft....

If we go and look at our roster, IR, PS, and Reserve/Future we have some interesting talent that did not see the field.  Grigson and Pagano know who will see the field and who will not...Lets get Landry signed, get another guard and DT...or OLB in the draft and strap on the pads.... :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:

Lets hope Big Ben gets healthy as well if he does I feel he can be a force on the OL