Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chiefs/49ers Agree to Alex Smith trade.

Indyfan4life

Report also states it was for a 4th round trade.

The link above says differently. Where did you get your info ? If it's the pick at the top of the second round , seems very high....

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported the compensation is a second-round pick in 2013 and possibly a pick in 2014. Glazer's wording suggests that a new contract could be coming for Smith, who was due $7.5 million in the final year of his deal. The Chiefs wouldn't give up this much in the draft for a one-year rental

The link above says differently. Where did you get your info ? If it's the pick at the top of the second round , seems very high....

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported the compensation is a second-round pick in 2013 and possibly a pick in 2014. Glazer's wording suggests that a new contract could be coming for Smith, who was due $7.5 million in the final year of his deal. The Chiefs wouldn't give up this much in the draft for a one-year rental

Rotoworld.

The Sacramento Bee hears that the 49ers will likely be getting a fourth-round pick in the 2013 draft for Alex Smith.

If the Niners pull off the widely speculated trade with the Chiefs, they'd add the first pick of the fourth round. It's nothing close to what the Eagles got for Kevin Kolb or the Patriots for Matt Cassel, but Smith has earned a reputation as a game manager. During his 75 career starts, he's completed just 59.3 percent of his passes and averaged 6.6 yards per attempt.

Related: Chiefs

Source: Sacramento Bee Feb 27 - 11:17 AM

More like shunned quarterbacks go to the AFC West....lol. And you're right FLS...this situation is eerily familiar.

In other news, the Chiefs still take Barkley first overall, and in his second year he takes the starting job midseason and leads the Chiefs to the Super Bowl.

More like shunned quarterbacks go to the AFC West....lol. And you're right FLS...this situation is eerily familiar.

In other news, the Chiefs still take Barkley first overall, and in his second year he takes the starting job midseason and leads the Chiefs to the Super Bowl.

You're crazy if you think barkley I'd going number one overall

Why is espn flipping out about this?

This isn't even that big of a deal.

During the NFL off-season when another team acquires a starting QB and they don't have much other football news to talk about it is a big deal because ESPN figured out a long time ago that any time you use the letters "NFL"  or something related to them the ratings go up. 

SF 15 picks...wow.  How many picks are they going to group/trade and move up into 2nd or 3rd???? Funny...

1. Hopkins -WR

2. Warford -G

2. Williams -DT

2. Watson -OL

3. Bostic, Te'o, Washington or Collins -LB

3. Tyrann Matheau- KR/DB

4. Caleb Strugis K

4. Trade

5. Trade

5. Trade

5. Trade

6. Trade

6. Trade

7. Trade

7. Trade

Rotoworld.

The Sacramento Bee hears that the 49ers will likely be getting a fourth-round pick in the 2013 draft for Alex Smith.

If the Niners pull off the widely speculated trade with the Chiefs, they'd add the first pick of the fourth round. It's nothing close to what the Eagles got for Kevin Kolb or the Patriots for Matt Cassel, but Smith has earned a reputation as a game manager. During his 75 career starts, he's completed just 59.3 percent of his passes and averaged 6.6 yards per attempt.

Related: Chiefs

Source: Sacramento Bee Feb 27 - 11:17 AM

Uh, at the time you made this post this was already posted on rotoworld:

Chiefs acquired QB Alex Smith from the 49ers in exchange for a second-round

draft pick in 2013 and a conditional third-round pick in the 2014 draft. 

Feb 27 - 11:57 AM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3119/alex-smith

I watched this and they said that Ian reported it was a 2nd round pick in 2013 and a 2nd round pick in 2014.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/kansas-city-chiefs/0ap2000000145559/49ers-trade-Smith-for-the-future

Chiefs acquired QB Alex Smith from the 49ers in exchange for a second-round

draft pick in 2013 and a conditional third-round pick in the 2014 draft. 

http://www.rotoworld...3119/alex-smith

That trade makes a lot more sense.

Rotoworld had it wrong?

Yes, re-read my original post in this thread. They had already changed it to the correct 2nd and conditional pick before you posted their incorrect 4th round claim. Also, your link in your original post even said it was a 2nd + a conditional pick next year.

This is great news for the Broncos. KC loses a high draft pick that could have turned into an impact player and gets another Cassel type QB. Smith is better than Cassel is right now, but who isn't? Smith's never even had a year close to Cassel's best in 2010. There's no explosion to their offense, don't have to worry about Smith going off for 3+ tds like you do with Ryan, Romo, Rivers, etc. A third-fourth tier qb who will help them win more games, but if they do better than .500 I'd be pretty shocked.

San Fran has so many draft picks!

Yup. Too many. Can't imagine a Super Bowl team having 15 roster spots open, especially for mid to late round draft picks. It's a waste in a really deep draft. They'd wind up taking players that don't have a realistic shot to make the roster. I'd expect them to consolidate, those picks down to under ten before the draft, maybe use a couple to trade for a playmaker. They've been linked to Revis, but they don't even have to go that big.

Yup. Too many. Can't imagine a Super Bowl team having 15 roster spots open, especially for mid to late round draft picks. It's a waste in a really deep draft. They'd wind up taking players that don't have a realistic shot to make the roster. I'd expect them to consolidate, those picks down to under ten before the draft, maybe use a couple to trade for a playmaker. They've been linked to Revis, but they don't even have to go that big.

Adding Revis to that defense would be scary.  I wouldn't be surprised if they move all over the draft board.  I could see them moving up into the early rounds and snagging some really good playmakers.  The rich get richer

:lol: Well no, actually that exclusive/elusive honor belongs to the Oakland Raiders, but the Kansas City Chiefs are the very next runner up in line though. The back of the line is so much fun! haha  

this is just flat out dumb. no way alex smith is worth a second round pick espically a really early second round pick. 49ers committed highway robbery

The 49-ers spent a #1 overall pick on the guy, he puts up a 19-5-1 record out of his last 25 games before getting concussed and Kaepernick permanently taking over, and then only get a second in return.  I don't know, where's the robbery? No QB in this draft is a better choice, even at the top of the second round IMO. I think Foles is better for the future, but Smith is a 'now' gamble. Andy Reid gets a lot of mileage out of decent QB's. Smith finally showed promise under Harbaugh, and Reid will continue that upward trend.  Didn't KC have 6 pro bowlers on that 2-14 team?  (not sure) There's talent there and KC will be tough to handle next season if Reid can get them to buy in and get coached up quickly.  His offense style will suit Smith, and Reid will be forced to use the run more than ever before.  It will be to all of their advatage IMHO.

The 49-ers spent a #1 overall pick on the guy, he puts up a 19-5-1 record out of his last 25 games before getting concussed and Kaepernick permanently taking over, and then only get a second in return.  I don't know, where's the robbery? No QB in this draft is a better choice, even at the top of the second round IMO. I think Foles is better for the future, but Smith is a 'now' gamble. Andy Reid gets a lot of mileage out of decent QB's. Smith finally showed promise under Harbaugh, and Reid will continue that upward trend.  Didn't KC have 6 pro bowlers on that 2-14 team?  (not sure) There's talent there and KC will be tough to handle next season if Reid can get them to buy in and get coached up quickly.  His offense style will suit Smith, and Reid will be forced to use the run more than ever before.  It will be to all of their advatage IMHO.

what did alex smith do before harbough got there? this guy was nothing but the product of the system

what did alex smith do before harbough got there? this guy was nothing but the product of the system

What he has done will be to go through 8 Offensive Coordinators in 9 years.  And yes, he excels in a certain system(s). I think Andy Reid knows that and will take advantage. But the last 3 years Smith hasn't stunk up the joint like so many other NFL QB's have.  And I see no reason for him to do so. His strengths and weaknesses are known, and he's more athletic and better than people will give him credit for.  He's been around the block now, yet is still young.  He's seen all varieties of playbooks, so I doubt that will be an issue anymore.  For Reid top go after him instead of Foles tells me something as well.

What he has done will be to go through 8 Offensive Coordinators in 9 years.  And yes, he excels in a certain system(s). I think Andy Reid knows that and will take advantage. But the last 3 years Smith hasn't stunk up the joint like so many other NFL QB's have.  And I see no reason for him to do so. His strengths and weaknesses are known, and he's more athletic and better than people will give him credit for.  He's been around the block now, yet is still young.  He's seen all varieties of playbooks, so I doubt that will be an issue anymore.  For Reid top go after him instead of Foles tells me something as well.

a change of OC happens all the time thats not an excuse. this guy has never once thrown for 4000 yards in a season. his career best throwing tds in a season is 18, and hes thrown almost as much tds as int 81-63

Andy Reid's QBs have all been system products as well.  He's easily one of the most QB-friendly coaches in the league.  He just doesn't know how to call run plays or manage the clock or hire a competent defensive staff without Jim Johnson.

Andy Reid's QBs have all been system products as well.  He's easily one of the most QB-friendly coaches in the league.  He just doesn't know how to call run plays or manage the clock or hire a competent defensive staff without Jim Johnson.

Was gonna say the same thing. At least you know Smith can produce in the system. You could be stuck with Curtis Painter. So you install the same system, or a similar one, and let Smith do what he's done the past couple years.

i listed his stats to prove alex smith is not a capable starter in the nfl and doesnt deserve to have been traded for a high second round pick

i listed his stats to prove alex smith is not a capable starter in the nfl and doesnt deserve to have been traded for a high second round pick

I think his stats prove that he IS a capable starter in the NFL. Capable is the perfect word, actually. He's not a star, not a franchise quarterback, and he's not going to carry your team, but in the right system, he is perfectly capable.

I do think a high second is a bit steep, but the quarterback market is atrocious this offseason. I think Smith is more accomplished than Kevin Kolb was, and the Cardinals gave up a second rounder for him. The Chiefs also gave up the 34th pick for Matt Cassel. The precedent is pretty clearly set for this kind of deal.

I think his stats prove that he IS a capable starter in the NFL. Capable is the perfect word, actually. He's not a star, not a franchise quarterback, and he's not going to carry your team, but in the right system, he is perfectly capable.

I do think a high second is a bit steep, but the quarterback market is atrocious this offseason. I think Smith is more accomplished than Kevin Kolb was, and the Cardinals gave up a second rounder for him. The Chiefs also gave up the 34th pick for Matt Cassel. The precedent is pretty clearly set for this kind of deal.

just because your desperate for a qb doesnt mean you agree to an unfair deal. the 49ers didnt lose anything and in my eyes the chiefs lost big. not to mention this deal is for two picks not just one. 49ers also get a conditional draft pick making the deal even more *ic

just because your desperate for a qb doesnt mean you agree to an unfair deal. the 49ers didnt lose anything and in my eyes the chiefs lost big. not to mention this deal is for two picks not just one. 49ers also get a conditional draft pick making the deal even more *ic

It's a conditional pick. They might not get anything in next year's draft. Time well tell. And if there's any position in sports that you overpay for, it's quarterback.

I wasn't arguing the merits of the deal, but I do believe the market is clear. You want a middling quarterback that another team is putting on the market, and it's going to cost you a second round pick.

As for Smith, I don't think he's as terrible as you're making him out to be. I'm not necessarily a fan, but if you put him with an offensive-minded coach who runs a WCO -- someone like Andy Reid -- he'll probably be good enough. He had two really good seasons in a row, and he played well in the playoffs in 2011. He's solid. Not a franchise quarterback, but he'll do for now.