Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chiefs/49ers Agree to Alex Smith trade.

Indyfan4life

It's a conditional pick. They might not get anything in next year's draft. Time well tell. And if there's any position in sports that you overpay for, it's quarterback.

I wasn't arguing the merits of the deal, but I do believe the market is clear. You want a middling quarterback that another team is putting on the market, and it's going to cost you a second round pick.

As for Smith, I don't think he's as terrible as you're making him out to be. I'm not necessarily a fan, but if you put him with an offensive-minded coach who runs a WCO -- someone like Andy Reid -- he'll probably be good enough. He had two really good seasons in a row, and he played well in the playoffs in 2011. He's solid. Not a franchise quarterback, but he'll do for now.

i guess its true what they say desperate times call for desperate measures

Andy Reid's QBs have all been system products as well.  He's easily one of the most QB-friendly coaches in the league.  He just doesn't know how to call run plays or manage the clock or hire a competent defensive staff without Jim Johnson.

Bob Sutton appears to me Reid's new DC.  http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2013/1/11/3865096/bob-sutton-chiefs-dc-defensive-coordinator-new-york-jets

Personally, I would have gone after former Bears HC & Rams DC Lovie Smith. 

It's a conditional pick. They might not get anything in next year's draft. Time well tell. And if there's any position in sports that you overpay for, it's quarterback.

I wasn't arguing the merits of the deal, but I do believe the market is clear. You want a middling quarterback that another team is putting on the market, and it's going to cost you a second round pick.

As for Smith, I don't think he's as terrible as you're making him out to be. I'm not necessarily a fan, but if you put him with an offensive-minded coach who runs a WCO -- someone like Andy Reid -- he'll probably be good enough. He had two really good seasons in a row, and he played well in the playoffs in 2011. He's solid. Not a franchise quarterback, but he'll do for now.

i also think matt flynn would have been a better investment. not as experienced, but hes younger i think has the better upside

I am not sure how I feel about all this. Seems like the pick (s) are too high to probably give up. But, did the Chiefs have too many other options out there either right now?

Are the Chiefs truly a decent QB away too from contending in the AFC West or even a WC spot or heck just being a consistent respectable team again who could possibly reach 8 wins? Is there enough talent on this team or do we overrate them?

Personally, I kinda like Alex Smith. Sure I can makes jokes like the rest of them about him but I kinda like the guy as a person. I also kind of hope he does well too (but not against the Colts).

Stay tuned......