Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A Couple of FA's To Go For...

Dtman513

Feel free to express any opinions!!

Greg Jennings: He'll be a reliable #2 and will be another valuable target in the passing game.

Paul Kruger: Fits the new defensive system and could wreak havoc opposite Mathis

Michael Turner: I like how Ballard came along this season, and having Turner as a situational back to compliment certain offensive schemes could work well. Also, I think we could get him for a descent price.

Dominique Rodgers Cromartie: Another Eagle Grigson is familiar with. He'll add more depth and experience to our secondary which seems to always get banged up.

Will Beatty: Gotta get some protection around Luck.

Thoughts?

Nope don't like none of these maybe other than drc

1. Rt Branden Albert - rt is a lot cheaper than lt and he is used to that position no need to overpay lt when u have a good young one

2.G Louis Vasques - well rounded won't probly command top salary like Levi but just as good

3. G Brandon Moore stop gap for a year or two until we draft and develop a guard

4. Cb Drc or mike Jenkins

Drc because we need a cb to battle with Andre Johnson and them type of wr down the field

Or mike Jenkins he has talent just need the right coaching, and both might not cost to much due to not so great seasons

5. Antony spencer only 27 still has one last good contract left in him

*6. James Harrison if he is cut 35 yr old stop gap can bring attitude to this d

7. ss laron Landry - just a stop gap till we draft saftey of the future

8. 5tech richard Seymour him and redding will serve as nice stop gaps won't command big pay day

Nope don't like none of these maybe other than drc

1. Rt Branden Albert - rt is a lot cheaper than lt and he is used to that position no need to overpay lt when u have a good young one

2.G Louis Vasques - well rounded won't probly command top salary like Levi but just as good

3. G Brandon Moore stop gap for a year or two until we draft and develop a guard

4. Cb Drc or mike Jenkins

Drc because we need a cb to battle with Andre Johnson and them type of wr down the field

Or mike Jenkins he has talent just need the right coaching, and both might not cost to much due to not so great seasons

5. Antony spencer only 27 still has one last good contract left in him

*6. James Harrison if he is cut 35 yr old stop gap can bring attitude to this d

7. ss laron Landry - just a stop gap till we draft saftey of the future

8. 5tech richard Seymour him and redding will serve as nice stop gaps won't command big pay day

Albert is a LT and will want to be paid as one of the better one's in the league, I like Vazquez and Spencer and maybe one of the CB's you mentioned, but absolutely no to the rest of your list, we are trying to get younger not looking for stop gap players

Jennings is reported to want 14 mil. per season. No thanks!

Kruger. Yes!

Turner. No way!!!

DRC. Possibly!

Beatty. He's a LT and will want too much money so.......No!

That's just agent posturing....he isn't going to sniff 14m. Not that I want the colts to go after him

Albert is a LT and will want to be paid as one of the better one's in the league, I like Vazquez and Spencer and maybe one of the CB's you mentioned, but absolutely no to the rest of your list, we are trying to get younger not looking for stop gap players

U need vets players I mean if they come cheap of course

Of course you ALWAYS NEED stop gap players, especially when you are SO FAR AWAY from having a talented Roster.

We need this draft and another AT LEAST before we will have solid talent being developed.

Gee, I thought Anthony Spencer is 29 yrs old, a little too old for a 5 YR contract IMO.

DRC is PFF 56th rated FA out of 60. I read he is a poor tackler? And so many pick him out of the Lot as Our guy. ???

I doubt he's on our radar. WR is a low position of FA need IMO. Too many other positions where it's going to take some cap.

I agree and as many know, I have said as much time after time but still many fans are absolutely obsessed with picking up more WR's. It's like a sickness for some. They have to mention bringing in every single FA WR on the market.

Am I the only person who isn't sold on DRC?

I just thinks he has unreal potential, is a perfect compliment to Davis and Pagano is great with DBs. I believe that Davis and DRC would have the potential to be the best duo in the league.

Eh Landry is not really a stop gap player, he will be 29 by the time the season starts, He'd probably have 5-6-7 years left if healthy, in the meantime we could draft our future SS in the late rounds, Plus Landry is one heck of a SS

I was advocating Jennings at the end of the season, but his price is looking guaranteed to exceed his possible value, so im not seeing it any more.

My shopping list...

OG: Ramon Foster and/or Donald Thomas

RT: Gosder Cherilus

WR: Ramses Barden

CB: Namdi Asamogha (if he becomes available)

S: Dashon Goldson

Am I the only person who isn't sold on DRC?

Nope, I feel the same. I just don't see the Hype behind him. Yes, he was the man in ARI.... but I don't see him returning to that anymore. If we were to take any of the Eagle's CB's..... I'd take Brandon Boykin but he's under his Rookie contract so that won't happen

I was advocating Jennings at the end of the season, but his price is looking guaranteed to exceed his possible value, so im not seeing it any more.

My shopping list...

OG: Ramon Foster and/or Donald Thomas

RT: Gosder Cherilus

WR: Ramses Barden

CB: Namdi Asamogha (if he becomes available)

S: Dashon Goldson

You would take Namdi?? Why?

Nope, I feel the same. I just don't see the Hype behind him. Yes, he was the man in ARI.... but I don't see him returning to that anymore. If we were to take any of the Eagle's CB's..... I'd take Brandon Boykin but he's under his Rookie contract so that won't happen

He's only 26 years old and you don't think he can return to where he was two years ago?

If you put Tom Brady into a read option offense would he play affectively? If Tom Brady had no line would he play affectively?

This may seem like an exaggerated comparison but I don't really think it is. We can't have short memories... Asomugha was the premier press man-coverage corner in the league in Oakland. He is put into a primarily zone coverage scenario with aggressive safeties that do not cover deep, meaning if an eagles corner is beat, they're really beat.

We play a lot of press coverage, I have no doubt about Asomugha's talent, I think he would definitely succeed in Indy. I may have a problem with the fact that he doesn't fit into our rebuilding with youth philosophy, but I would not be annoyed if he was signed, you have potentially an elite corner for potentially an affordable price, that sort of thing is a rarity.

I like DRC. He's young, has great speed and excellent ball skills. Problem is I don't think he would fit what we may want to do with our corners in terms of scheme. I anticipate a ton of bump and run to be used and especially within our division, guys like Andre Johnson, Kenny Britt and Justin Blackmon would manhandle DRC.

That's why I think Xavier Rhodes is so popular around this board. He has the size and the adequate speed to handle such big recievers along with Vontae.

He's only 26 years old and you don't think he can return to where he was two years ago?

Age means nothing. I'm referring to his Mentality. I don't think he'll get back to that Top Guy CB he was. I could be wrong & if we do sign him & I am wrong, I'll admit to it. But I just don't see it happening

Here is my Grocery List Id like Grigson to pick up

WR: Id like Jennings, but his price is just to steap for me, so I will shop the great value brand and look at Steve Breaston. Didnt have a good year this past year but has put up some good numbers considering his qb situations with the chiefs and his time in AZ.

CB: This is a stretch but, lol Id love to bring Kelvin Hayden back to Indy. Wont happen but it would be nice. So Adam Jones or DRC would be nice.

S: William Moore, only started and played 12 games last season but had a decent stat line, 59 tackles, 1 sack, 8 pass defended, 4 ints and 2 force fumbles. Shouldnt be pricey either, also will probably signed again by atlanta but if possible he should surly be an upgrade to what we got.

OLB/DE: I like Kruger, I like Spencer. I would prefer Spencer over Kruger I think just from a stat stand poiunt, but if I could choose any DE/OLB out there that is going to be a possible FA I want Connor Barwin over both. Barwin has been in the league 4 years has a career stat of 82 tackles, 19 sacks, 16 pass defended, 1 f-fumble and 1 safety. While Spencer has more in all categories except pass defended. Spencer also has 2 more years and last year was his best yet. So Im going With Barwin but texans wont let him walk so I will take spencer over Kruger, SImply because Kruger isnt an every down DE/OLB or even really a starter. Spencer would be my bid

I agree. Nnamdi is almost 32 yrs. old and been terrible the past 2 yrs.. I do not buy the zone scheme argument either. If a corner is good in man coverage, they should be better in zone coverage. Eagles fans say they played a lot of man coverage the 2nd half of the season too and Nnamdi still got roasted consistently. the guy has obviously lost a step and already past his prime. It just happens to some players much earlier than others and unfortunately for Nnamdi, it seems like it's happened to him earlier than expected.

If you put Tom Brady into a read option offense would he play affectively? If Tom Brady had no line would he play affectively?

This may seem like an exaggerated comparison but I don't really think it is. We can't have short memories... Asomugha was the premier press man-coverage corner in the league in Oakland. He is put into a primarily zone coverage scenario with aggressive safeties that do not cover deep, meaning if an eagles corner is beat, they're really beat.

We play a lot of press coverage, I have no doubt about Asomugha's talent, I think he would definitely succeed in Indy. I may have a problem with the fact that he doesn't fit into our rebuilding with youth philosophy, but I would not be annoyed if he was signed, you have potentially an elite corner for potentially an affordable price, that sort of thing is a rarity.

Like I stated in my most recent post, it's a mental thing. I think Namdi is done being that shutdown guy. He'll stay in Philly most likely & retire there. Like I said, if given the choice of an Eagle CB..... I'd take Brandon Boykin

I agree. Nnamdi is almost 32 yrs. old and been terrible the past 2 yrs.. I do not buy the zone scheme argument either. If a corner is good in man coverage, they should be better in zone coverage. Eagles fans say they played a lot of man coverage the 2nd half of the season too and Nnamdi still got roasted consistently. the guy has obviously lost a step and already past his prime. It just happens to some players much earlier than others and unfortunately for Nnamdi, it seems like it's happened to him earlier than expected.

Your problem with his age is fine. But I cannot agree with your scheme assertion. Man versus zone requires a very different mindset and different attributes. Some players are happy being put out on an island and trying to stick to a guy like glue, matching him step for step, nearly all physical ability and talent. Zone requires you to get your head up a lot more, watch the quarterback, watch the guys running around you, and process things quickly, much more mental traits involved. Some players can play both but that does not mean if you can play one you can play the other.

Also, I had the misfortune of watching two Eagles games past the half way point in the season and I can't remember Asomugha ever being in press coverage once, I remember being disgusted with how he was used, and how they refused to ever drop safeties back.

I'd like to get him purely because I think he could come at a good price (maybe not, hard to estimate this) and I'd love to take the chance on him getting back to even a shadow of what he was. Quarterbacks never ever through at him.

Your problem with his age is fine. But I cannot agree with your scheme assertion. Man versus zone requires a very different mindset and different attributes. Some players are happy being put out on an island and trying to stick to a guy like glue, matching him step for step, nearly all physical ability and talent. Zone requires you to get your head up a lot more, watch the quarterback, watch the guys running around you, and process things quickly, much more mental traits involved. Some players can play both but that does not mean if you can play one you can play the other.

Also, I had the misfortune of watching two Eagles games past the half way point in the season and I can't remember Asomugha ever being in press coverage once, I remember being disgusted with how he was used, and how they refused to ever drop safeties back.

I'd like to get him purely because I think he could come at a good price (maybe not, hard to estimate this) and I'd love to take the chance on him getting back to even a shadow of what he was. Quarterbacks never ever through at him.

I'll agree with Mr. McGonnell. Instead of repeating his argument, I'll just add that, if the Colts can get Nmamdi at a reasonable price, he'd be a low risk high reward pickup.

Like I stated in my most recent post, it's a mental thing. I think Namdi is done being that shutdown guy. He'll stay in Philly most likely & retire there. Like I said, if given the choice of an Eagle CB..... I'd take Brandon Boykin

There is a strong possibly he is done as a shutdown corner, yes. But tell me... if we were to go with CB in FA, who is a shutdown corner, with proven success in something that resembles our scheme? I genuinely think if we went down the FA route for CB#2, he is the safest bet.

And there is no point even talking about Boykin, he was drafted last year and will definitely not be released, plus he would thrown around by bigger receivers if he played outside, would be a good nickel back but that's it.

There is a strong possibly he is done as a shutdown corner, yes. But tell me... if we were to go with CB in FA, who is a shutdown corner, with proven success in something that resembles our scheme? I genuinely think if we went down the FA route for CB#2, he is the safest bet.

And there is no point even talking about Boykin, he was drafted last year and will definitely not be released, plus he would thrown around by bigger receivers if he played outside, would be a good nickel back but that's it.

Idk who the FA CB's are this year. But if Keenan Lewis is up there, I'd take him. Who's a FA at CB this year?

Idk who the FA CB's are this year. But if Keenan Lewis is up there, I'd take him. Who's a FA at CB this year?

Charles Woodson, Brent Grimes, Aquib Talib, Sean Smith, Cary Williams, DRC....

I don't think any of us get to see these guys week in, week out and rely a lot of what we read, but from purely watching players, I would probably take Brent Grimes (other than Asomugha), even though he is pretty small but always seemed to stick to his guy, was injured last year though which is a deterrent. I actually like Smith as well because he's really big and athletic but just makes silly mistakes too often.

Just my humble opinion though, but this speculation is all that keeps us sane at this time of the year.