Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Locked in Starters

Kyle

I was just thinking it would be nice to see where we have our FOR SURE starters.  It may help to see where we are weakest.  This is my attempt.  Let me know what you think.

QB Luck

HB ???

FB ???

WR1 Reggie

WR2 ???

WR3 Hilton

TE Fleener

TE Allen

LT Castonzo

LG ???

C Satele/Shipley

RG ???

RT ???

DE Redding

DE ???

DT ???

OLB Mathis

MLB1  ???

MLB2 Freeman

OLB ???

CB1 Davis

CB2 ???

CB3 ???

FS Bethea

SS ???

K Viny

P Pat

KR Kareem

PR Hilton

Everything else to me is up in the air.  I realize I could have put in Ballard at RB but I am not quite, very close, but not quite sold on him as our HB of the future... 

Holes to fill,

1st: OLine

2nd: secondary

3rd: front 7

GOING TO BE ANOTHER INTERESTING OFF SEASON!!!!  GO COLTS!

I don't see Satele being here. And the other MLB will be Connor imo. Him & Freeman were a force to be reckoned with when they came together imo

I agree that my personal opinion is that Satele is not the answer at center BUT it sure seems like Grigson wants him there...

It seems a lot of people have Conner and Freeman as our ILBs but I just don't see it.  Not that you are wrong, but I am thinking we need better.  The MLB in a 3-4 needs to be the leader of the D.  I am hoping we get us our Patrick Willis/Ray Lewis to stick in the middle of the field.  I just don't see Conner or Freeman being that guy.  I HOPE I AM WRONG THO!!!

I agree that my personal opinion is that Satele is not the answer at center BUT it sure seems like Grigson wants him there...

It seems a lot of people have Conner and Freeman as our ILBs but I just don't see it. Not that you are wrong, but I am thinking we need better. The MLB in a 3-4 needs to be the leader of the D. I am hoping we get us our Patrick Willis/Ray Lewis to stick in the middle of the field. I just don't see Conner or Freeman being that guy. I HOPE I AM WRONG THO!!!

Freeman was like Top 8 in NFL Tackles if I'm not mistaken. I think he showed how dominant he is. And then Connor was great in the pass rush. I remember seeing him putting some hurt on a few QB's we played

I was just thinking it would be nice to see where we have our FOR SURE starters.  It may help to see where we are weakest.  This is my attempt.  Let me know what you think.

QB Luck

HB ???

FB ???

WR1 Reggie

WR2 ???

WR3 Hilton

TE Fleener

TE Allen

LT Castonzo

LG ???

C Satele/Shipley

RG ???

RT ???

DE Redding

DE ???

DT ???

OLB Mathis

MLB1  ???

MLB2 Freeman

OLB ???

CB1 Davis

CB2 ???

CB3 ???

FS Bethea

SS ???

K Viny

P Pat

KR Kareem

PR Hilton

Everything else to me is up in the air.  I realize I could have put in Ballard at RB but I am not quite, very close, but not quite sold on him as our HB of the future... 

Holes to fill,

I agree with most of what you have here.  I think it's an outside chance Castonzo could move to RT IF and this is a big IF the Colts go out and get someone like Jake Long. 

I think Angerer has the other MLB spot locked down.  From all accounts he was hurt on the first play of the pre-season last year and was never 100% healthy after that and just played threw it to help the team.  Honestly MLB is probably our deepest spot as we have Conner there and if we elect to keep him Fokou.  All four of MLB have proven to be pretty good.

I also think our third cornerback will be Butler.  I think he played better than Vaughn and if used as a number three corner can be really good. 

I also think Ballard/Brown has the RB spot locked down.  It doesn't really matter which one starts because the other one is is going to see split carries. 

If we bring him back Moala will be the other starting DE as well but since it's not promised we will bring him back I can see why he's not locked down.

I also think between Chapman, Johnson, and McKinney the starting DT is probably on the roster although I wouldn't mind if the Colts upgraded the DT spot. 

Freeman was like Top 8 in NFL Tackles if I'm not mistaken. I think he showed how dominant he is. And then Connor was great in the pass rush. I remember seeing him putting some hurt on a few QB's we played

I'm not sure you can use tackles as a stat to prove one's worth. Angerer lead the league in tackles in 2011 so going by that he should be the other ILBer. Just saying!

I don't see Satele being here. And the other MLB will be Connor imo. Him & Freeman were a force to be reckoned with when they came together imo

If I was reading Superman's numbers right in another thread it looks like Satele would probably cost just about as much to release him at this point as it would to keep him.  If that's the case I think he will be brought back.  Chap was on the radio today and pretty much said Grigson is still really high on Satele and is quick to point out to people that he was hurt most of last year and was never really 100%.  You can call that an excuse if you want but it sounds like that is what Girgson is thinking.  Chap seemed to think Grigson wants a Vet tackle and probably a guard to fix the line but that they like Castonzo and Satele .  He also seemed to think between Ijalana, Link, Reitz, and McGlynn the other starting guard is probably on the roster which tells me they will probably try to bring back Reitz and McGlynn who are free agents. 

I'm not sure you can use tackles as a stat to prove one's worth. Angerer lead the league in tackles in 2011 so going by that he should be the other ILBer. Just saying!

Ok, disregard the stats. Freeman played extremely well & laid the boom a few times. I believe he is hands down the best ILB on the roster

Ok, disregard the stats. Freeman played extremely well & laid the boom a few times. I believe he is hands down the best ILB on the roster

Which is exactly what people said about Angerer the year before that.  Freeman and Angerer are both good players and so is Conner and Fokou even if the later two aren't as good as Freeman or Angerer.  We are very deep by NFL standards at MLB. 

It seems a lot of people have Conner and Freeman as our ILBs but I just don't see it. Not that you are wrong, but I am thinking we need better. The MLB in a 3-4 needs to be the leader of the D. I am hoping we get us our Patrick Willis/Ray Lewis to stick in the middle of the field. I just don't see Conner or Freeman being that guy. I HOPE I AM WRONG THO!!!

I also believe Redding named Freeman Baby Ray (as in Ray Lewis Jr.) I believe he will be a Pro Bowler next year

I like your line of thinking.  The only difference I would have right now would be that I would lock in Ballard based on his play in 2012.  It's really an amazing amount of uncertainty on the roster right now!  Of course, I think some of these things will be sorted out by the re-signing of Colt UFAs (Moala, Butler, Avery???) and/or TC competition (Angerer/Conner, Chapman/McKinney, Brazill/Palmer/Kelley/???)...

in this case I'm glad to tell you sir you r wrong. i believe Freeman is a clear cut leader and mlb he may not b as talkative as ray but he darn sure find his way to the ball like him. Also Conner is very sold as the other inside backer granted they are not Willis/Bowman..... Yet lol one can dream

It seems a lot of people have Conner and Freeman as our ILBs but I just don't see it.  Not that you are wrong, but I am thinking we need better.  The MLB in a 3-4 needs to be the leader of the D.  I am hoping we get us our Patrick Willis/Ray Lewis to stick in the middle of the field.  I just don't see Conner or Freeman being that guy.  I HOPE I AM WRONG THO!!!

Unless we get our hands on a Patrick Willis-type guy, or someone with that kind of potential, I'm pretty sure Freeman is locked in as a starter. And even if we did, I'm pretty sure Freeman would still be starting.

If we add some serious (healthy) talent at G between Anthony and Sampson, watch the center position solidify with what is on the roster.

I agree with this. I said time after time last season that with improved guard play that the Tackle and center positions would also look much better. Satele takes a lot of heat from fans and I do think Shipley is a good player too, but its hard to do your job when the guards aren't doing theirs.

Angerer will fill in the ILB. No way he is going anywhere.

Maybe in passing situations but on early downs it will be Connor. Angerer lost his spot to Freeman, and it will more than likely stay that way into this season, and he's not big enough to hold up in run support in this defense. Hell, was barely average playing the MIKE in our old Tampa-2 system. He's not much different than Freeney in that sure he CAN play in this system but he's hardly effective.

Can we stop having this argument?  We've been having it all season.  IMO we have a bit of an embarrassment of riches at ILB right now, and it doesn't really serve any purpose for the people who prefer Conner to Angerer to concoct reasons why Angerer sucks, and vice versa with the people who prefer Angerer, because for the most part it's not true.  Just because you think that two of these 3 guys should be starting doesn't mean you have to construct an argument as to why the third guy is worthless.

we lock in Freeman as 1 MLB then....

kinda as the old saying goes about QB:  If you have 2, then you have none. 

there is a reason this argument keeps happening and its because we need an upgrade over Conner and Angerer

we lock in Freeman as 1 MLB then....

kinda as the old saying goes about QB: If you have 2, then you have none.

there is a reason this argument keeps happening and its because we need an upgrade over Conner and Angerer

first of all you start two MLBs and that saying is for QBs people rotate other players in and out at other positions all the time in football.

first of all you start two MLBs and that saying is for QBs people rotate other players in and out at other positions all the time in football.

first of all, i said lock in Freeman as 1 MLB then was talking about having 2 for the second spot...

I also stated that the saying is about QBs but the logic behind it can be applied to other positions also.  All it means is if you can't tell the which player is better than neither is "the guy". 

In other words, I realize and stated in my first post that you start 2 MLBs and I also stated the saying is typically about QB so I do not see the point of your post trying to belittle me

first of all, i said lock in Freeman as 1 MLB then was talking about having 2 for the second spot...

I also stated that the saying is about QBs but the logic behind it can be applied to other positions also.  All it means is if you can't tell the which player is better than neither is "the guy". 

In other words, I realize and stated in my first post that you start 2 MLBs and I also stated the saying is typically about QB so I do not see the point of your post trying to belittle me

I think it's clear that we could do better than Angerer/Connor, but I don't think either of them are sore spots on the defense. There's nothing wrong with the way they play the position, but they don't have the impact of a top notch guy either.

I'm much more interested in seeing us upgrade the other positions on defense, and that should free up our ILBs to do what they're supposed to do. Improve the line play, and the backers stay clean on the way to the ball.

I was just thinking it would be nice to see where we have our FOR SURE starters. It may help to see where we are weakest. This is my attempt. Let me know what you think.

QB Luck

HB ???

FB ???

WR1 Reggie

WR2 ???

WR3 Hilton

TE Fleener

TE Allen

LT Castonzo

LG ???

C Satele/Shipley

RG ???

RT ???

DE Redding

DE ???

DT ???

OLB Mathis

MLB1 ???

MLB2 Freeman

OLB ???

CB1 Davis

CB2 ???

CB3 ???

FS Bethea

SS ???

K Viny

P Pat

KR Kareem

PR Hilton

Everything else to me is up in the air. I realize I could have put in Ballard at RB but I am not quite, very close, but not quite sold on him as our HB of the future...

Holes to fill,

1st: OLine

GOING TO BE ANOTHER INTERESTING OFF SEASON!!!! GO COLTS!

The only position we can't upgrade is QB. Anything else is free game.

This about about who we think will be locked in for the upcoming season.

Add Ballard and IMO this is a very good list. Adds up to 13 players w/Ballard.

NT is a big deal in this D.

I would be shocked if Mookie comes back.

Chapman is a total? McKinney is a career backup as are the other guys we used.

Lots of veteran DE available. I could see us signing a good one. Moala that guy?

At ILB they may keep Fokou. If so we are servicable.

We know we need a Quality pass rusher in the Freeney spot. One thing I like about Kruger is he can rush from both sides.

As part of a rotation, Mathis & Brown can also be effective on either side.

At safety we need HELP. ;) Zibby needs to be a Coach. haha Lefeged was Ok considering.

O-Line improvement is a given. We need at least one JACKPOT hit and hopefully a close 2nd one.

Every reason to be VERY optomistic.

We will be feeling a serious Monster IMO, after next years FA & Draft season. Lots of growing/melding yet to be done.

QB Luck

HB ???

FB ???

WR1 Reggie

WR2 ???

WR3 Hilton

TE Fleener

TE Allen

LT Castonzo

LG ???

C Satele/Shipley

RG ???

RT ???

DE Redding

DE ???

DT ???

OLB Mathis

MLB1  ???

MLB2 Freeman

OLB ???

CB1 Davis

CB2 ???

CB3 ???

FS Bethea

SS ???

K Viny

P Pat

KR Kareem

PR Hilton

Holes to fill,

QB Luck

RB Ballard

WR1 Wayne

WR3 Hilton

TE Allen

TE Fleener

T AC, ?

G ?,?

C Shipley

DE Redding

NT Chapman

ILBs Freeman, Angerer

OLB Mathis, ?

CB Davis, ?

FS Bethea

SS ?

P McAfee

K ?

and I think Angerer will have the other spot locked down.  People really over look the fact the man was hurt last year all year and played on a broken foot last year which not only limited his playing time but I am sure limited his production.   The year before when he was fully healthy he was pretty much Freeman last year.  He had 148 tackles vs. Freeman's 145 last year.  I think he is going to get a chance to show what he can do in this defense fully healthy.  If he doesn't produce next year then yeah it becomes time to look for another MLB.  However, if he preforms like he did before when he was healthy the Colts are going to have a couple of monster MLBs. 

The saying of "if you have two you really have none" for a QB isn't really in play here.  That's saying people use about QBs when neither guy is really good enough to start.  In both cases Angerer and Conner are good enough to start even if they aren't Ray Lewis at MLB.  The fact they rotate them isn't exactly out of the normal for a team to do at MLB.  It's one of those poistions where players rotate in and out of the game based on what they do and to rest guys some.  The other reason the Colts do it is that have three starter qaulity players in Freeman, Agnerer, and Conner and then a guy in Fokou who was pretty much a third down specialest who was very good in that role.  The Colts are very loaded at MLB.  It might be the deepest spot on the team. 

There's a reason guys like Patrick Willis/Ray Lewis shine so much; they have a TON of good players around them that play well within the scheme. I would honestly take our group of cover LBs over 90% of the rest of the league's. Whatever order you want to put them in is moot, they're all really good football players. Angerer and Conner I believe were 1 and 2 respectively in the entire league, for completion percentage against. For me that's about the most important stat for a cover linebacker.