Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Polian raises possibility of widening the field for PLAYER SAFETY [Merge]

bayone

I also leave well enough alone  

The NFL’s incessant push for player safety could now push the sidelines farther apart.

I’m not so sure we shouldn’t think about widening the field,” Polian told Pompei.  “It’s a radical idea, but I think it’s worth thinking about.  You would have more space and perhaps a safer game.  I say that based on my CFL experience.  There are less collisions of that type in the Canadian game.”

The Canadian field is 35 feet wider than the NFL field — but the CFL gridiron is also longer, with deeper end zones.

“The farther a player has to run in terms of contact, the less ferocious the contact is going to be,” Polian said.  “We know the most ferocious hits come from guys who are ten yards apart and lay each other out.  You have fewer higher power collisions in the Canadian League than here.”

The idea that distance traveled reduces the impact of the hit depends on how much energy the player still has at the point of impact.  If he’s tired when it’s time to lay the lumber, Polian is right.  But if the player has achieved and maintained full speed and has enough gas in the tank to deliver a full-power hit, putting the players farther apart will result in more, not less, violent collisions.

That’s why the kickoff has been marginalized.  Large, strong men run unimpeded toward each other, achieving full speed.  It’s basic physics.

Of course, a wider field doesn’t necessarily entail the same type of contact, since players won’t be running directly at each other when the movement is more horizontal than vertical.  Spreading the players out will likely result in fewer gang tackles, which is where the biggest safety benefit could be obtained.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/11/polian-raises-possibility-of-widening-the-field/

It is something they should consider if they are serious about player safety, but we know they really could not care less about it given they wanted to increase the schedule by two games.  

The players are getting bigger, faster and stronger, but yet are still playing on the same size of field.  It is definitely radical, but if you are serious about safety it is something they should strongly consider.

I think Polian needs to consider the reason why injuries don't occur as much in the CFL is because the players are smaller, slower, and not nearly as talented. I doubt very much it has anything at all to do with the field being bigger. 

I agree, there is a reason the NFL doesn't bring in that many CFL players to start. 

I think its a good idea...at the very least it would open up the game even more....more offense...

I hate the idea. I mean why don't we just eliminate defensive players from making tackle's? Just put flags on the offense and play some flag football. I wish football would get back to "Man" football instead of sissy football.

We're never going to do that...'B'....

....for better or worse..the game you'll see in 10 years wont be what we have now....

Cant you see that coming?

I've got tapes of 15 years ago......and the game has changed significantly since then...

We are going to have to get used to a less violent version of football...

Concussions and lawsuits say so...

hmm.... I do not see how widening the field makes players safer.  It just spreads them out more and will create more speed which will create bigger hits...   

Seems like another thing to make QB/Offense easier in the NFL.  IMO, every rule change lately is just to create more offense and raise TV ratings...

We're never going to do that...'B'....

....for better or worse..the game you'll see in 10 years wont be what we have now....

Cant you see that coming?

I've got tapes of 15 years ago......and the game has changed significantly since then...

We are going to have to get used to a less violent version of football...

Concussions and lawsuits say so...

I know, but it don't keep me from hating it. I think I will always like football, but I don't like the way it is trending into such a sissy sport. I hope they can improve on helmet technology so the game can eventually get back to a smash mouth style that I love.

I have to admit and I know this won't be popular, but I have to wonder just how much of this concussion issue is real and how much is just these retired players looking for an easy payday. I know that is cynical, but football was much rougher and tougher back in the 40's and 50's and the equipment technology was terrible, but many of those players do not have the issue's that many of the recently retired players say they do.

I have no doubt that concussions are a serious injury that can cause long term damage, but it's hard for me to believe that so many recently retired players are coming out of the woodwork with these issue's in the last few yrs., and yet back in the day of leather helmets or very flimsy plastic helmets players were fine.

I guess players have gotten bigger and stronger over the yrs., but I still believe players back in the old days were much tougher. I still believe that many of todays concussion issue's are more of a result of poorly taught technique's and not big, strong players and/or poor equipment. Players need to be taught how to tackle again, instead of just going for the big hits. Just my opinion of course.

I hate the idea. I mean why don't we just eliminate defensive players from making tackle's? Just put flags on the offense and play some flag football. I wish football would get back to "Man" football instead of sissy football.

You and Kyle hit it on the nose.....spreading it out makes the hits harder....Why is Goodell considering eliminating the kickoffs?  So we can widen the field instead of lengthen.....what a joke :spit: We could have weight limits like Pee Wee too....we are wussifying football enough the way it is.... :kitty:

Polian needs to get into a GM position somewhere......Canada maybe?  :)

Sissified? Steven Ridley disagrees

ha, just joking in response to posts about all the changes being made in NFL to make the game less violent/lower injuries etc...

plus I was looking for an excuse to bring up rugby, love the sport & am glad its popularity is on the rise...

Ridley did get knocked out cold huh???

ha, just joking in response to posts about all the charges being made in NFL to make the game less violent/lower injuries etc...

plus I was looking for an excuse to bring up rugby, love the sport & am glad its popularity is on the rise...

Ridley did get knocked out cold huh???

Its right up there with cricket and crochet in terms of ratings.. I would still rather watch rugby than hockey though

Its right up there with cricket and crochet in terms of ratings.. I would still rather watch rugby than hockey though

Sevens tournament out of Vegas was aired this past weekend... & sevens will make its debut in the 2016 Olympics... plus youth leagues are popping up around the country, actually there are plans for the largest rugby complex in the nation to go up in an old drive in lot east of fountain square in Indy...

maybe not a huge spike for ratings, but it is growing in popularity... 

Sevens tournament out of Vegas was aired this past weekend... & sevens will make its debut in the 2016 Olympics... plus youth leagues are popping up around the country, actually there are plans for the largest rugby complex in the nation to go up in an old drive in lot east of fountain square in Indy...

maybe not a huge spike for ratings, but it is growing in popularity...

I live in Elkhart.. There is a pretty big rugby facility here. they have pretty large rugby tournaments here

Interesting idea - I'd LOVE to see it in hockey. Badly needed. I think that it might have too radical of an impact on what's an already offensively oriented NFL. On how many plays are guys barely shoved out of bounds. Widening it even 10 feet would probably result in an extra 2-3 TDs per game - or more. Too much.

That would be the big fallout, increased offense again. It will not reduce down field hits, and may even increase high impact hits in open field.  The only thing this might do is possibly reduce the lower impact, but much more frequent hits within the box.  Do these lower impact hits the big guys take impair them more over time than the few, but much vigorous impact WR's take?  And is it worth the major change in the O / D balance?

The white stripe out of bounds line is 6 ft, which is 2 yds.  That could give an extra 4 yards for an O to spread out and work with.  Bigger lanes...

Keep in mind that with a bigger field, players could also have more room to gain speed when they go to hit someone.  If a player is running across the middle, there will be more space between them and the defenders.  That allows the defenders to get more speed going when they go to hit that player, which could actually result in more injuries.

Jesus.

Whats next? Foam footballs?

Nerf, the official new ball of the NFL. WRs & TE's are complaining of frequent body bruises from their QBs who throw the ball to hard. Ouch! In response to the demand to reduce play injuries & promote safety at all costs, softer & lighter footballs have been approved by Commissioner Rodger Goodell. Only teasing!  :funny:  haha  :lol:

http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/2WvUwif1ATial0505WVgFg--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptusnflexperts/yahoo+peyton_nerf.jpg

The State of the Union is on tonight!  Knitting time for all...and to all a good night......as the paint dries....

Yes, I am a civics & history junkie & I did really watch it. Oh right, you meant that as an insult or torture device didn't you? SW1 interrogator reporting for duty Brent.  :lol:  lmao  :spit:

Nerf, the official new ball of the NFL. WRs & TE's are complaining of frequent body bruises from their QBs who throw the ball to hard. Ouch! In response to the demand to reduce play injuries & promote safety at all costs, softer & lighter footballs have been approved by Commissioner Rodger Goodell. Only teasing!  :funny:  haha  :lol:

http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/2WvUwif1ATial0505WVgFg--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptusnflexperts/yahoo+peyton_nerf.jpg

CLICK ON IMAGE TO EXPAND SO LOOKS NATURAL

peyton-archie-eli-manning.jpg

OK......I am in 'LIKE' no mans land on these responses!  All are 'good stuff.'  Thanks for starting of my day with some smiles....I may get 3 or 4 likes back an hour after I pounded the keyboard on here yesterday!!!  Good Stuff SW, Joker, bayone, Jules, braveheartcolt, pacolts56........etc.:)