Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jeremy Kelley's potential

AllYouNeedIsLuck

I was watching some videos and reading his combine results yesterday and I couldn't understand how he didn't put up better numbers in college and in the arena league. He's 6'6, runs a 4.5 40, looks pretty strong and his hands didn't seem too bad. Knowing Grigs, he will probably be a diamond in the ruff so hopefully he'll be a great redzone target if used correctly. But from his physical skills he seems like he could be a great receiver, able to put up better numbers than he has in his football career. Worst case scenario I guess is that he's cut before the season starts and I'm fine with that as you can't really expect much from an AFL player, but I could envision him being like Victor Cruz (undrafted) and becoming a stud. One can only hope. Maybe his problem is mental but with his physical makeup he should get past that. 

I am signing Butler University swing-man Roosevelt Jones....in a couple of years as a TE....he is 6'4 and 230 as a baskeball player.  He is a grinder....he can fill to 250-255 easily....and has a smile that goes with the toughness/mean streak!!!!!!

Watch the kid use his body......tell me what you think...

Sorry I went off topic a little.......I was watching him and thinking of Kelley at the same time.

Roosevelt_Jones7534_re-article.jpg?max_w

I am signing Butler University swing-man Roosevelt Jones....in a couple of years as a TE....he is 6'4 and 230 as a baskeball player.  He is a grinder....he can fill to 250-255 easily....and has a smile that goes with the toughness/mean streak!!!!!!

Watch the kid use his body......tell me what you think...

Sorry I went off topic a little.......I was watching him and thinking of Kelley at the same time.

Roosevelt_Jones7534_re-article.jpg?max_w

To what are you signing him?

Unless you mean you're on the court using sign language to talk to him.  If so, keep it clean.

If after CFL and Arena League and he is not producing, then the chance of him doing well is slim.

Agreed....he was playing a lot of special teams in the CFL....Hopefully he can get it together. He seems to have it physically, but I wonder how the mental is.

I think he has some great physical ability and seems to have good hands or decent at least. My question is how much playing time did he really get? How many times was he targeted and how many times he caught it out of those? Maybe he was just situational guy that just never got consistent time besides when in the redzone. If he works hard and can learn from Reggie he could be good I think. But its up to him. The physical ability seems there for sure though. Wish there was more in depth info on him.

due diligence... hard not to kick the tires on a kid with Kelley's physical gifts, but there are reasons why he hasn't signed with an Nfl team and why he wasn't dominant in the CFL or AFL...

I don't know what his issues are, but it would be all gravy for the Colts if he can earn a roster spot. I don't expect it, though.

I think he will. Grigs has a thing for finding diamonds in the rough and maybe he is one. 6'6 is very appealing to me especially against 5'11 cornerbacks.

Grigs has an eye for talent I'll say that, but I don't love him enough to say that every single person he has brought in here has turned into a star. There have been some guys that didn't turn out so well and been released too. Ty Nscheske comes to mind as one of a number of guys who looked intriguing on film but didn't pan out. I credit Grigs also for showing them the door. If I'm wrong about this kid, when it comes time I'll say exactly so.

Well there's a good chance Avery won't be back.

Agreed....with Avery gone....he only has to position himself behind, or next to, Nathan Palmer, as he works his way up the ladder. The climb, up the mountain to stardom, for Kelley, is not that steep. Here are the "obstacles" that he's facing:  WR's ONLY.

Jabin Sambrano

Jeremy Kelley

Griff Whalin

Austin Collie - Injured / Potentially Released

Nathan Palmer

Lavon Brazill

T.Y. Hilton

Reggie Wayne

With Collie's history, Sambrano, and Whalen not getting enough reps to really showcase what they can do, this off-season is gonna be intense, and very competitive. T. Hilton & N.Palmer's explosiveness, will let them stay home. Brazill's most valuable asset is his catching ability, so he's gonna continue to stay relevant, and provoke the starters to step their game up. And well Reggie,...is Mr. Reggie Wayne.

Agreed....with Avery gone....he only has to position himself behind, or next to, Nathan Palmer, as he works his way up the ladder. The climb, up the mountain to stardom, for Kelley, is not that steep. Here are the "obstacles" that he's facing:  WR's ONLY.

Jabin Sambrano

Jeremy Kelley

Griff Whalin

Austin Collie - Injured / Potentially Released

Nathan Palmer

Lavon Brazill

T.Y. Hilton

Reggie Wayne

With Collie's history, Sambrano, and Whalen not getting enough reps to really showcase what they can do, this off-season is gonna be intense, and very competitive. T. Hilton & N.Palmer's explosiveness, will let them stay home. Brazill's most valuable asset is his catching ability, so he's gonna continue to stay relevant, and provoke the starters to step their game up. And well Reggie,...is Mr. Reggie Wayne.

To what are you signing him?

Unless you mean you're on the court using sign language to talk to him.  If so, keep it clean.

He has two more years of basketball.....I love basketball TEs.....this kid has Colts written all over him if he does not make the NBA.  Butler has had the 'next man up' mentality for years....good kid...tough kid.  

If I really knew signing......I would have been in trouble a long time ago  haha  

I look at a lot of what Grigson has done as the Colts GM as "prospecting for gold". He sifts thru mounds of sand and gravel (UDFAs, CFL, AFL, etc,) in hopes of striking it rich. He did with Freeman, but has missed on several, too... But who cares, it cost him nothing but his time and effort to do the sifting.

Until proven otherwise, Whalen, Sambrano, Kelley, Palmer, and to an extent, even Brazill are nothing more than sand and gravel. We hope there will be gold, but claiming we've already struck it rich is way premature.

Reggie Wayne's replacement probably will be drafted in 2014. This guy , Ross , IMO is a real long shot to have any major effect in the passsing game. Maybe he'll end up a special team player and No 5 WR ... and that's a high ceiling.  My major "issue" with him is he's never been a factor in college or the AFL. 

I look at a lot of what Grigson has done as the Colts GM as "prospecting for gold". He sifts thru mounds of sand and gravel (UDFAs, CFL, AFL, etc,) in hopes of striking it rich. He did with Freeman, but has missed on several, too... But who cares, it cost him nothing but his time and effort to do the sifting.

Until proven otherwise, Whalen, Sambrano, Kelley, Palmer, and to an extent, even Brazill are nothing more than sand and gravel. We hope there will be gold, but claiming we've already struck it rich is way premature.

Agree to an extent. I would say that both Palmer and Brazill proved to be worthy of the #4 and #5 WR spots as the roster was put together last year (maybe that makes them 3/4 minus gravel, or some kind of semi-precious metal). Brazill made some big catches and both were valuable ST players. Thus, these two have an upper edge going into this season. Will be interesting to see how the WR position shakes out between those two, Whalen, Sambrano, Kelley, and any FA/rookies who are brought in.

This kid I hope your going to surprise alot of negative nancy around here......Just because he come from the CLF does not make him crap...... Kurt Warrener Bagging grociers anybody.. Sound familier

Colt fans hope for the best...a guy named Saturday was selling electrical supplies when the Colts brought him in......you put on the pads and PLAY!!!! :pass:  :pass:  :pass:

I look forward to seeing what he can do.  We have a couple of spots at WR.  I figure we are going to let Avery walk so that means that Wayne, Hilton, and Brazil are the only "locks" on the roster right now to be brought back.  I am guessing we will keep five WRs like we did last year so there are two spots to be won by guys.  I know we kept Palmer on the roster much of last year but I don't think he's a lock I think he can be beat out if someone plays better than him.  I would say however, that when you get down to the fifth WR spot your special team skills are going to be just as important if not more so important than your WR skills. 

This could all change if the Colts go out and get a WR in free agency or the draft which while maybe not the odds on favorite thing to do is a possibility. 

Really that what jeff was doing i thought they got him off the Ravens practice squad

They had waived him....he was working like you and me!  I remember when we signed him a lot of folks thought 'where did we get this guy?'  He was very stumpy looking....actually looked like a salesman...(No offense salesmen :))  I honestly thought he was awful...he actually played guard at first here.  Persistence pays off, and paid of for Jeff and the Colts!!! :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:

I just see this as once again Grigson flexing his Muscle & pulling the Trigger on players. Remember, he brought us Freeman who lead the team in tackles if I'm not mistaking. Grigson has definitely proven to me that he's not afraid to look High & Low to help put us in position to WIN. Which is the MAIN Reason why I can't wait for this off-season now that he can flex his muscles even more with our cap space

I just see this as once again Grigson flexing his Muscle & pulling the Trigger on players. Remember, he brought us Freeman who lead the team in tackles if I'm not mistaking. Grigson has definitely proven to me that he's not afraid to look High & Low to help put us in position to WIN. Which is the MAIN Reason why I can't wait for this off-season now that he can flex his muscles even more with our cap space

Exactly....what can he do WITH money TK  :thmup:  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:

Colt fans hope for the best...a guy named Saturday was selling electrical supplies when the Colts brought him in......you put on the pads and PLAY!!!! :pass:  :pass:  :pass:

Not really "apples to apples" other than they both were at some point in their careers out of the NFL. 

Ross is a guy with great measurables that never really excelled at posting good numbers in the receiving game . Neither in college or the AFL. 

Saturday was an under sized guy that was a captain at the University of North Carolina his Jr and Senior years. He also played very well making the All ACC First Team. Here is how it supposedly came down how Polian founf him.

According to Sports Illustrated, Saturday was ranked as the No. 11 center available in the 1998 NFL Draft.[5] He was described as "somewhat an overachiever, has worked to make himself better," but also as "an undersized guy [who] simply has trouble matching up against power NTs that can overwhelm him".[6] He went undrafted, but the Baltimore Ravens signed him as a free agent on April 27, 1998, only to waive him on June 12, 1998. He then returned to Raleigh, North Carolina and took a job as a manager at an electrical supply store.[3]

[edit]Indianapolis Colts

Saturday first came to the attention of the Indianapolis Colts during the 1998 season, when Hobgood-Chittick was on the roster. As Hobgood-Chittick would recall in 2012,

I had no footing at all with that franchise, so I stood outside 
 door in my dirty sweats, saying a prayer. I walked in and said, "There's a guy selling electrical supplies in Raleigh right now who whipped all those first-round draft choices at North Carolina every day." Polian looked at me and said, "I love it. Let's get him in here for a workout."

Not really "apples to apples" other than they both were at some point in their careers out of the NFL. 

Ross is a guy with great measurables that never really excelled at posting good numbers in the receiving game . Neither in college or the AFL. 

Saturday was an under sized guy that was a captain at the University of North Carolina his Jr and Senior years. He also played very well making the All ACC First Team. Here is how it supposedly came down how Polian founf him.

According to Sports Illustrated, Saturday was ranked as the No. 11 center available in the 1998 NFL Draft.[5] He was described as "somewhat an overachiever, has worked to make himself better," but also as "an undersized guy [who] simply has trouble matching up against power NTs that can overwhelm him".[6] He went undrafted, but the Baltimore Ravens signed him as a free agent on April 27, 1998, only to waive him on June 12, 1998. He then returned to Raleigh, North Carolina and took a job as a manager at an electrical supply store.[3]

[edit]Indianapolis Colts

Saturday first came to the attention of the Indianapolis Colts during the 1998 season, when Hobgood-Chittick was on the roster. As Hobgood-Chittick would recall in 2012,

I had no footing at all with that franchise, so I stood outside 
 door in my dirty sweats, saying a prayer. I walked in and said, "There's a guy selling electrical supplies in Raleigh right now who whipped all those first-round draft choices at North Carolina every day." Polian looked at me and said, "I love it. Let's get him in here for a workout."

You are talking about Kelley?  Who is this Ross you keep referring to...he is on Friends.  :)

I think he will. Grigs has a thing for finding diamonds in the rough and maybe he is one. 6'6 is very appealing to me especially against 5'11 cornerbacks.

People said the samething about Kris Adams and look where he ended up. This guy is simply filling a training camp spot. He couldn't even dominate the arena league at his size, not to mention teams in the arena league score every 27 seconds. The only thing I want out of the arena league is a kicker

This kid I hope your going to surprise alot of negative nancy around here......Just because he come from the CLF does not make him crap...... Kurt Warrener Bagging grociers anybody.. Sound familier

Myself and a few others are not down grading him for playing in the CFL or AFL.  Some players need a little time to develope, but he did not have good numbers in college and very limited playing time in CFL and AFL.  We were wondering if there is a mental problem, as he has good measurables.

Reggie Wayne's replacement probably will be drafted in 2014. This guy , Ross , IMO is a real long shot to have any major effect in the passsing game. Maybe he'll end up a special team player and No 5 WR ... and that's a high ceiling.  My major "issue" with him is he's never been a factor in college or the AFL. 

Chris Harper KSU 3rd... Kelley = Vincent Jackson...hopefully.