Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Browns Interested in Arians

NCost12

Arians was the O Coordinator for the Browns from 2001 to 2003 so they are familiar with him, They have alot of guys with speed at wr but none of them have hands, I doubt he goes there, He is not getting any younger and I doubt he wants to spend his last days as a coach (in any capacity) in the purgatory that is the Browns, Bruce is better off staying and letting the Browns waste another first round pick on a QB

There was a report or rumor last week that Arians supposedly wanted the Browns job very badly. But at that time he was not even scheduled to interview and everyone assumed Kelly would get the job. It was reported by an ABC news sports guy from Cleveland.

Arians was the O Coordinator for the Browns from 2001 to 2003 so they are familiar with him, They have alot of guys with speed at wr but none of them have hands, I doubt he goes there, He is not getting any younger and I doubt he wants to spend his last days as a coach (in any capacity) in the purgatory that is the Browns, Bruce is better off staying and letting the Browns waste another first round pick on a QB

I don't think anyone from the Browns was with the Browns from 2003. That team rebuilds every two years.

Well, I guess you can't rebuild something that's never been built in the first place.

Someone posted a tweet earlier this week that seemed to suggest this is the job Arians wants.  It would make sense he knows the city it's where he left Indianapolis for the first time he left.

Also the Browns have a "young" QB which he likes working with and 40 million in cap space to play with. 

"They" are NOT familiar with him. Completely different team now, from ownership to coaching to every single player on the roster. Maybe there's a janitor or equipment guy or security guard who is familiar with Arians from a decade ago, but I don't think that's what you meant.

I think he'd be better off going to San Diego, personally, especially if Telesco gets the GM position. Similar scheme offensively, talented quarterback, a fanbase aching for anyone with a pulse at head coach, especially if his name doesn't rhyme with "Schmorv Lurner." But the Browns have a good foundation, I think. I don't know about their management team or personnel guys, but they have some talented guys on the roster (Joe Thomas, Trent Richardson, Joe Haden, Josh Gordon, D'Qwell Jackson). Plus, Arians seems to have a thing for the midwest.

Someone posted a tweet earlier this week that seemed to suggest this is the job Arians wants.  It would make sense he knows the city it's where he left Indianapolis for the first time he left.

Also the Browns have a "young" QB which he likes working with and 40 million in cap space to play with. 

If this is true, than I am angry with Chip Kelly. He could have saved us from losing Arians!

Sorry Gavin  - simply not accurate.  This version of the Browns have no idea of Arians' time there.  The coach, gm, players are all completely new.  He may be familiar with the city but that is it.  Heck, even the owner is new with Lerner passing away.  On top of that, Cleveland has a young roster with talent and while Weeden is not Luck, there is something there.  Plus there are only 32 of these jobs in the world, if Cleveland offered and Arians does indeed want to be a HC, why wouldn't he go there?  The answer is he would.

And what have you seen to suggest that they will use a # 1 pick on another QB? 

Sorry Gavin  - simply not accurate.  This version of the Browns have no idea of Arians' time there.  The coach, gm, players are all completely new.  He may be familiar with the city but that is it.  Heck, even the owner is new with Lerner passing away.  On top of that, Cleveland has a young roster with talent and while Weeden is not Luck, there is something there.  Plus there are only 32 of these jobs in the world, if Cleveland offered and Arians does indeed want to be a HC, why wouldn't he go there?  The answer is he would.

And what have you seen to suggest that they will use a # 1 pick on another QB? 

How long have they been trying to find that next Franchise QB but yet only 1 WR taken in the first round despite being near the top of the league in dropped passes at least two years in a row now

How long have they been trying to find that next Franchise QB but yet only 1 WR taken in the first round despite being near the top of the league in dropped passes at least two years in a row now

Sometimes you would be well-served to say "you know what, I had not thought of that" instead of more of the same.  Your response does nothing to make your initial post better.  It does not address the part where they know him in Cleveland. It does not address the fact that they may already have their QB on the roster.  And it does not address the fact that if he wants it and it is offered, having one of the only 32 jobs of its kind in the world is a pretty good gig. 

Sometimes you would be well-served to say "you know what, I had not thought of that" instead of more of the same.  Your response does nothing to make your initial post better.  It does not address the part where they know him in Cleveland. It does not address the fact that they may already have their QB on the roster.  And it does not address the fact that if he wants it and it is offered, having one of the only 32 jobs of its kind in the world is a pretty good gig. 

What exactly makes it a pretty good gig to you? your going to have to do better than its one of only 32 jobs of its kind in the world that makes it a pretty good gig, Mark Whipple the current QB coach of the Browns was on the Steelers staff as a QB coach while Arians was the WR coach.

I suspect most the front office who were there in 2001-2003 are long, long gone.    New Ownership, new everything since then.

They've got a decent young roster,  great fans, a new stadium, and a rich new owner who wants to make a splash.    I think Arians sees great potential there.   Good for him.    If he's interested in them,  then I'm pulling for him....

Great guy.    I want whatever he wants.

What exactly makes it a pretty good gig to you? your going to have to do better than its one of only 32 jobs of its kind in the world that makes it a pretty good gig, Mark Whipple the current QB coach of the Browns was on the Steelers staff as a QB coach while Arians was the WR coach.

Oh my goodness...

Not your best effort there.

There was also a report out of San Diego that they are interested in Arians.  Ironically just before that i was on the radio with moving the chains on sirius XM asking this same thing.  They said they are sure he will get offiers and his best fit would probably be in San Diego.

If Arians truly wants to be a HC and they're the only team that offers him that opportunity, then that's what makes it a pretty good gig.  Honesttly, Cleveland has quite a bit of talent.  Weeden is a good QB, Richardson is a great running back and they have a pretty good OL as far as I know.  Bring in a good DC to run the defense, where they also have quite a bit of talent and bring in some talent at WR and they could be a very different team next year. 

If Arians truly wants to be a HC and they're the only team that offers him that opportunity, then that's what makes it a pretty good gig.  Honesttly, Cleveland has quite a bit of talent.  Weeden is a good QB, Richardson is a great running back and they have a pretty good OL as far as I know.  Bring in a good DC to run the defense, where they also have quite a bit of talent and bring in some talent at WR and they could be a very different team next year. 

I dont disagree they have talent, Weeden, Richardson, Mack, Thomas obviously all can play well, they did not lose there skills just because they are playing for the Browns organization, I was speaking more to the fact that they seem to have a history recently of completely missing on what there real issue looks to be and thats that they dont have any wr's that can catch passes consistently to save there lives, that should be a priority for them in the offseason and I honestly think they should have kept Mccoy as the starter and got him some actual NFL caliber wr's, nothing against Weeden, it actually has nothing to do with Weeden but the Browns have drafted 3-4  QB's since I believe '99 but outside of a mediocre wr Braylon Edwards they have had nothing at wr, I actually  willing to bet Weeden will be replaced by another QB within 3 years tops

The Browns have been a mess. But they have new ownership, new management, and soon, new coaching. I don't think it's reasonable to hold the failures of the previous regime(s) over the heads of the new regime, and I don't think potential coaches like Arians will do that. Based on their talent (not horrible) and their resources (according to John Clayton, they have the second most cap space in the league next season, $48m, and they draft high this year), I don't see it as a bad job.

The only concern I would personally have would be the division. The Bengals broke through two years in a row, but the Ravens and Steelers own that division. Tough road to the playoffs.

I dont disagree they have talent, Weeden, Richardson, Mack, Thomas obviously all can play well, they did not lose there skills just because they are playing for the Browns organization, I was speaking more to the fact that they seem to have a history recently of completely missing on what there real issue looks to be and thats that they dont have any wr's that can catch passes consistently to save there lives, that should be a priority for them in the offseason and I honestly think they should have kept Mccoy as the starter and got him some actual NFL caliber wr's, nothing against Weeden, it actually has nothing to do with Weeden but the Browns have drafted 3-4  QB's since I believe '99 but outside of a mediocre wr Braylon Edwards they have had nothing at wr, I actually  willing to bet Weeden will be replaced by another QB within 3 years tops

Those are all different GMs and even owners. Randy Lerner had the team from 2002 until 2012, at which point Jimmy Haslam bought the team. Haslam just gutted the front office and coaches. Since the reboot of the franchise to now, 1999 to 2012, they had Tom Heckert, George Kokinis, Phil Savage, and Dwight Clark. That's 5 different GMs all wanting to get their guys in. So to predict the next front office off of the last 5, under a different owner, isn't really indicative of anything.

Most new GMs and coaches (of which they've had 5 [shurmur, Mangini, Crennel, Davis, Palmer]) want their own guys to go with their schemes. There could be just as much coaching and GM turnover under Haslam, but he's not really had any time to show what kind of owner he is. They do have two promising rookies on offense in Gordon and Richardson, but Weeden may not be a Arians fit, if it came to that. So I could see Weeden going, but I don't think the past running of the Browns is any indication of that.

A wiseman once told me that when digging yourself into a hole, stop digging. That would be my advice to you with this thread.

And for the love of all that is Holy, the word is their. Not there.