Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck's numbers are not very impressive

BProland85

He's 3 -3 and could be 4-2 if not for a missed FG....This team won 2 games last year.

Manning #'s were much worse at this point of his rookie season.

Luck's starting RB is out, he has 1 WR that is better tha avgerage, 2 rookie TE's and a poor o-line.

If you think his #'s aren't good, go back and watch on of the Curtis Painter games from last year.

That missed field goal didn't change the out come of the Jags game in fact that miss probably increased our chances to win that game because it made the Jags just try to run the clock out and give the ball right back to us when Adam then hit pretty much the exact same field goal to give us the lead. We lost that game because of the melt down in coverage on the long TD pass AFTER the field goal.

All and all though your main point is correct Luck is fine. He's off to a better start than Peyton was and the numbers back it up. He clearly has things to work on but what rookie doesn't? As fans we should be thrilled we are less than half way threw the season and we have already won more games than last year and frankly we are about even with the AFC after six games 3-3. Other than a little better coverage at the end of the Jags game I am not sure what else fans could want from a team that was 2-14 last year cut or lost most of the talent it did have due to free agency has been injury riddled and oh by the way their head coach has cancer.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Peyton had the better completion percentage.... luck will not be the most accurate QB... i think today showed the type of offense the colts should run... a balanced game. Some balls were over thrown but for a rookie he's done great... the pass to hilton where he look like he just sailed that ball it was hiltons fault...

Right now it is 55 vs 56%....close...and I love them both....the difference is sacks.....Andrew is way in front...going down. Otherwise good points Smitto!

Luck has had some wild rookie throws but there are also a lot of drops and from what I see our young receivers giving up on routes most of which will iron itself out the more time they work together. That being said I never had high expectations going into this year but i believe that Lucks numbers are going to explode next season and I am ecstatic to see his progress!

He's been fine. He's been really good when you factor in all the other younger players around him like you said is key.

All we have to go off of Luck right now is six games so if you going to compare apples to apples the best you can do is look at other guys six games. What's telling to me isn't so much that he's done better than Peyton and Eli. It's that he's on pace and as good as guys like Bradford, Newton, Stafford, and Newton who are more recent rookies.

There is a learning curve here and it will take some time for him to learn. What I really liked about Luck today was that he avoided making mistakes. He had one bad throw where he put the pass in front of Reggie rather than behind him where it should have been that was almost picked but that was really it in the passing department. If anything he's holding the ball too long now. Two of the three sacks were a result of Luck holding the ball for an extra second when he didn't have it and needed to just throw it away. The other one and the fumble was a result of the left side of the line breaking down.

All and all Luck has played very well for a rookie QB with so many other rookies around him. Of the three vets he really has around him one is out with injury and another is new to the team and is coming off of a couple of injury filled years. So really the only experienced guy he has is Reggie and it shows he keys on him and teams are starting to try to take Reggie away from him. Luck is doing a great job spreading the ball around and all and all is doing everything you would want your rookie QB to do for the most part. Clearly some growing pains but all and all I see nothing to be concerned about Luck (not that you are.)

Do not get me wrong, I think LUCK can easily be a future HOF'r

I am delighted by what i have seen , love his mobility to run for a TD too, thats one thing Peyton didnt do for sure

When I say should be better , i did not, & let me emphasize , i did not , mean he should be better than where he is at and am disappointed , no way did I mean that at all

I was speaking in general that college football prepares one more i think, may be wrong but think many programs do prepare a qb to enter the NFL more ready than years past , does that mean he will really show true worth right away , NO , alot depends on offense around him and with that OL, & all the rookie weapons save for Wayne & avery I agree with u in that

He's been fine. He's been really good when you factor in all the other younger players around him like you said is key, " absoluteness "

In fact he has shown more arm strength than they said he had has shown ability to throw bullets into tight coverage for completions with various types of passes

anyway thats all for me my friend Good night

Put Weeden in Lucks situation and we would see, and Weedon is is pretty decent for a rookie.

Are you saying Weeden is in a better position to succeed than Luck? I would say the Colts are better than the Browns and Luck has a HOF receiver in Wayne. Weeden had a very good day despite the deep ball right on the hands for a TD that was dropped.

Rookie QB's are a continuous work in progress and it will take years before we see how Luck is really going to do in the NFL. Look at Cam Newton's and Sam Bradford's rookies seasons (which were great) and their 2nd years (which were/are subpar).

We shouldn't compare Luck's stats to Peytons rookie year as they are too far apart and the passing game in the NFl has changed greatly. We should be comparing him to his current counterparts.

I do expect Luck to perform well at home against bad teams though.

Now hear me out...I know he is a rookie, but his completion percentage worries me just a bit. Maybe thats not on him but his supporting cast. But if its the supporting cast, hopefully they get it together soon or we wont be winning many games for the next few years. We surrounded Luck with weapons on offense so other than adding maybe another quality WR, he should have enough to work with there, other than fixing the OL of course.

Again, not trying to be negative about anything relating to our future star Andrew Luck, but I just get tired of people saying 2 other rookie QBs are outshining him and are further along in their development. With how much tout Luck had coming out of college, there should never be 2 other QBs ahead of Luck in development.

Once again" He's a rookie...and we're 3-3.

Are you saying Weeden is in a better position to succeed than Luck? I would say the Colts are better than the Browns and Luck has a HOF receiver in Wayne. Weeden had a very good day despite the deep ball right on the hands for a TD that was dropped.

Rookie QB's are a continuous work in progress and it will take years before we see how Luck is really going to do in the NFL. Look at Cam Newton's and Sam Bradford's rookies seasons (which were great) and their 2nd years (which were/are subpar).

We shouldn't compare Luck's stats to Peytons rookie year as they are too far apart and the passing game in the NFl has changed greatly. We should be comparing him to his current counterparts.

I do expect Luck to perform well at home against bad teams though.

Totatally agree Re Peyton Comparing

again good night all

No running game, mediocre at best line. QB could have all the weapons in the world. If he doesn't have the run to set those plays up and the time enough to set up and throw the ball, he will have a tough time. Only reason why Peyton thrived behind a horrible line is because he could throw people open.

Yes but if Brandon Weeden outperforms Luck in this game which he's doing so far, thats pretty bad.

Do you watch any college ball at all? The only reason Wheeden was never in the conversation as being a top 5-10 pick is because of his age. If he were 5 years younger then his name would have been in all the conversations leading up to the draft about who the colts should select.

I think he made need to change his mechanics. That overtop passing motion is what is killing his accuracy, he pauses the ball right before his release. I think thats why he has a hard time timing the ball on deep routes, that's also why I think Arians runs alot of screen, flat, and slant plays. Its obvious that luck has better accuracy while passing to guys in front of him as oppose to in stride. I attribute that "overtop-pause" release he has, he needs to have a follow through like Matt Stafford, the ball explodes out of Staffords hand as he had a slingling motions, Luck tends to push the ball out of his hand which is why he throws more floaters.

Now hear me out...I know he is a rookie, but his completion percentage worries me just a bit. Maybe thats not on him but his supporting cast. But if its the supporting cast, hopefully they get it together soon or we wont be winning many games for the next few years. We surrounded Luck with weapons on offense so other than adding maybe another quality WR, he should have enough to work with there, other than fixing the OL of course.

Again, not trying to be negative about anything relating to our future star Andrew Luck, but I just get tired of people saying 2 other rookie QBs are outshining him and are further along in their development. With how much tout Luck had coming out of college, there should never be 2 other QBs ahead of Luck in development.

First of all I would like very much if you can provide a link to such a silly claim?

Next...

Have you watched "every" game this season? Drops are a HUGE issue, thus AL's comp %. It's simple really. If one has a set of eyes.

Luck has made some bad throws but the skill position players are not exactly helping him out. With teh exception of Wayne, he has been STELLAR.

3-3 now, coming from 2-14 last season... and we are crying.... ???

Wow...

I like it when Luck runs. On the run, he is able to keep it and gain yardage, bide time for receivers to get open and throw the ball away if there is nothing there. Throwing a lot in the pocket is getting him killed so I liked the fact he had rushing TD's.

Also, Arians said that it isn't Luck holding us back but rather the rest of the offense when it comes to playcalling. I truly believe Luck is taking blame for a lot of the offensive's faults.

I like it when Luck runs. On the run, he is able to keep it and gain yardage, bide time for receivers to get open and throw the ball away if there is nothing there. Throwing a lot in the pocket is getting him killed so I liked the fact he had rushing TD's.

Also, Arians said that it isn't Luck holding us back but rather the rest of the offense when it comes to playcalling. I truly believe Luck is taking blame for a lot of the offensive's faults.

But there is a reason he is running.... the OL sucks... no running game... and Indy's rb/wr/te's keep dropping balls at an alarming rate.

AND INDY IS 3-3 Yippppeee,ee,,e,

He's 3 -3 and could be 4-2 if not for a missed FG....This team won 2 games last year.

Manning #'s were much worse at this point of his rookie season.

Luck's starting RB is out, he has 1 WR that is better tha avgerage, 2 rookie TE's and a poor o-line.

If you think his #'s aren't good, go back and watch on of the Curtis Painter games from last year.

what missed field goal..?

Luck's numbers are 3-3...and that's fine for a rookie

what missed field goal..?

Luck's numbers are 3-3...and that's fine for a rookie

In the Jags game remember that FG that Vinateri missed? It was a 36 yarder in the 4th quarter. Now keep that in mind for a second. Near the end of the game the Colts had the ball on Jax 26 on the last 3 or 4 downs (i forget) and the score was 22-17 at that point. Had Vinateri made that 36 FG earlier, it would have been 23-20 (Jax would not go for 2 pts so it would be 23 instead of 22 since they failed the conversion) and the Colts could have kicked the FG there and it would have tied 23-23 likely.

The scenario is actually really complicated because had Vinateri made the 36 yarder, maybe the Jags turn it over or something else but regardless those 3 points could have helped. Of course the defense deserves the blame for blowing coverage with 56 seconds left.

Considering the expectations for the team coming in - the general view of the defense and running game outside of Colts' nation - I think Luck has been every bit as good as advertised. I think once he settles and gets more support, you'll see the offense really take off. I still think Arians is a good coordinator and play-caller going off his prior coaching stints and at times this season too. I think right now there's too many deficiencies to mask and it hinders the game plan. At 3-3, the team looks better than I thought they would.

I agree that he misses too many open receivers. However, you cannot extrapolate out Luck's performance for the "next few years" based on his first six games. And who are "these weapons" you're talking about? I see one, Reggie Wayne. The rest are unproven rookies and journeyman type players at best.

I could be wrong, but outside of Reggie i just don't think our receiving unit is very good. Avery gets open every once in a while, but it seems like he is a go route guy and thats about it. Hilton is just very young and makes mistakes every game. Drops too many passes, runs wrong routes, doesn't sit down in the zone. Luck has been far from perfect but i'm not going to worry about completion percentage at this point as i think there are other factors impacting it. This is a very young team at several positions so it's just not Luck that has to learn here, it's a lot of guys on the offense. There will be ups and downs but the kid is going to be a fine QB. I also agree with an earlier poster, there are going to be people who will gripe about Luck forever just because he isn't number 18. That was to be expected and will never change.

I could be wrong, but outside of Reggie i just don't think our receiving unit is very good. Avery gets open every once in a while, but it seems like he is a go route guy and thats about it. Hilton is just very young and makes mistakes every game. Drops too many passes, runs wrong routes, doesn't sit down in the zone. Luck has been far from perfect but i'm not going to worry about completion percentage at this point as i think there are other factors impacting it. This is a very young team at several positions so it's just not Luck that has to learn here, it's a lot of guys on the offense. There will be ups and downs but the kid is going to be a fine QB. I also agree with an earlier poster, there are going to be people who will gripe about Luck forever just because he isn't number 18. That was to be expected and will never change.

Reminds me of Reggie's first two years.

Late to the party.... family obligations...

Have not seen the game, but have seen hi-lites on NFL.com....

Allow me some thoughts...

Some might see that RG3 and Wilson are having better seasons.... that (until today) Weeden has been struggling some and Tannehill started off struggling but is doing better now...

Consider this... the QB's doing really well, what do they ALL have in common? A good running game. Better RB's than the Colts have and a better OL than the Colts have.

A good running game takes pressure off the QB. A good OL takes pressure off the QB.

When Luck has a much better OL and a decent running game, his numbers will improve sharply.

I'm not a shrink, but I'm going to play one here on the Internet.... I think one of the issues Luck deals with is an over developed sense that unless he makes a play our offense doesn't move the ball and doesn't score. Now, I realize this is a QB driven league and so every QB has some sense of that feeling. But, if you've got no running game (or a poor one) and it seems that every pass you make feels like you're threading the needle, and that every time you drop back you're running for your life and you've just got to make a play somehow... I think that all contributes to Luck pressing.

Look.... I could have my head completely up my.... well, you know.... but I think there's some truth in this....

All I'm trying to say is if you want to be frustrated about all this now -- fine. But as far as long term? Don't worry. This is going to get corrected as the team gets better. Andrew had a Big Jump in performance in his 2nd year at Stanford. He will next year as well. And I suspect in his 3rd and 4th years too. He's going to get better.

If you're worried that this is it from Andrew.... that this is the best Luck has to offer, I'm here to assure you......

You Aint Seen Nothing Yet!! :thmup: Really! :thmup: Seriously! :thmup:

In the Jags game remember that FG that Vinateri missed? It was a 36 yarder in the 4th quarter. Now keep that in mind for a second. Near the end of the game the Colts had the ball on Jax 26 on the last 3 or 4 downs (i forget) and the score was 22-17 at that point. Had Vinateri made that 36 FG earlier, it would have been 23-20 (Jax would not go for 2 pts so it would be 23 instead of 22 since they failed the conversion) and the Colts could have kicked the FG there and it would have tied 23-23 likely.

The scenario is actually really complicated because had Vinateri made the 36 yarder, maybe the Jags turn it over or something else but regardless those 3 points could have helped. Of course the defense deserves the blame for blowing coverage with 56 seconds left.

Had Adam hit that first field goal Jax would not have sat on the ball to try to make us use our timeouts. They would have been behind and played and odds are driven down the field to kick a field goal to win it 19 to 17. Honestly as strange as it sounds Adam missing that kick probably increased our chances of winning game with the way things played out. We got the ball back and put our selves in poistion to win the game. We didn't lose because of Adam's kick we lost because we didn't cover the last pass by the Jags.

For all the panic over Adam after that game he is 8 of 9 since that miss and 10 of 13 for the season. He's fine.

There were times when Manning was a rookie that I thought we had made an enormous mistake. He was god-awful at times. Luck hasn't done that. He's the one we needed. That said, he's not going to be Manning in his prime. Peyton isn't even that good right now.

You people are nuts. These same people that are pimping Griffin are the same that will say they hated him when he's out for the year or even out of the league due to injury.

First of all I would like very much if you can provide a link to such a silly claim?

Next...

Have you watched "every" game this season? Drops are a HUGE issue, thus AL's comp %. It's simple really. If one has a set of eyes.

Luck has made some bad throws but the skill position players are not exactly helping him out. With teh exception of Wayne, he has been STELLAR.

3-3 now, coming from 2-14 last season... and we are crying.... ???

Wow...

Your making excuses mate.... Luck has missed almost a quarter of (it was a quarter last week) of his attempts due to bad passes... Not dropped balls or pressures.... They were just bad passes.

His completion percentage will go up eventually due to WRs catching the ball more and reading the defense but he won't be known for his accuracy in the NFL... Luck was a game manager yesterday and the offense did farely well. Patch up the DLine next year and you have an ultimate balanced team with a dream game manager

Had Adam hit that first field goal Jax would not have sat on the ball to try to make us use our timeouts. They would have been behind and played and odds are driven down the field to kick a field goal to win it 19 to 17. Honestly as strange as it sounds Adam missing that kick probably increased our chances of winning game with the way things played out. We got the ball back and put our selves in poistion to win the game. We didn't lose because of Adam's kick we lost because we didn't cover the last pass by the Jags.

For all the panic over Adam after that game he is 8 of 9 since that miss and 10 of 13 for the season. He's fine.

Panic is not an option! All fans need to do is look at the records around the league. Lions may go 2-4 tonight.....the Pats are only 4-3.....you are correct, Sir!! :thmup:

Like I said, Im sure a lot of it is supporting cast around Luck, but we seriously need to get that fixed soon if thats the case.

Drafting Luck is the part of a long term goal for the team. Deleting older expensive overpaid stars on this team was part of that plan. Drafting 2 of the better rated TE's in a poor talent TE draft was part of that plan as was obtaining young talent with high ceilings but raw. You can't resolve every issue on this team in 1 season that you had dumped major salary and had. I cap room left. Everyone e wants Luck to come in and win 13 games by himself in his first year with a young team but that is fantasy not reality. I think they have enough talent to start with but they have to rebuild the entire entire team and it starts with a talented QB, which we have. I would expect the team to get the oline fixed next season with draft and mucho dollars to spend in FA. Keep a defense that can just be avg for next year and then year 3 go out and get your defense built up into an aggressive defense. You can't build that plan in one single year, nobody can. Time

I do not know why people continue to compare Manning's rookie year with Luck's rookie year. They played in two different eras. When Peyton was a rookie defenders were able to play physical with the WRs and actually hit the QB. With Luck they cannot even breath on the WRs without getting penalty on him.

Luck's accuracy definitely needs improvement, but he is a 23 year old rookie so we have time. We need to improve the OL because most of the time Luck just does not have time to throw it accurately and the other WRs are not helping much either with their drops.

Now if we are sitting here in year three and his completion percentage is still this slow then we probably will have a bit of a problem, but we have plenty of time to get him help.

luck took over the worst team in the nfl and is playing with an aging superstar,castoff wr in avery, and rookies yet his team is 3-3. rg3, tannehill,weeden, or wilson couldn't have done what luck as done for this team given the lack of talent on this team. you also have to account that luck is replacing arguably the best qb of all time and will always be compared to manning regardless if he's a rookie or not.

In the Jags game remember that FG that Vinateri missed?

Yes that was the game with the missed FG that I was talking about.

However, as I stated before, Luck is fine and should turn out much better than "fine" down the road.

http://bit.ly/VgikzO

Calm down

Yeah that's what I was thinking, it would have played out differently if he made it.

While Luck has been less accurate than I like, I do expect improvement next year when he has more time in the offseason to work with his receivers on timing/routes etc...I do feel that maybe sometimes Arians is trying to turn Andrew in to a type of QB that he may not be equipped to be(for the time being anyway), and that is why Luck has struggled at times IMO. I know the offense that the Colts is running isn't similar to what Luck ran in Stanford, but if we could implement some better options(dump passes/screens) that it would make his transition easier and lead to more yardage. RG3 has done so well in part to the offense catering to his strengths, whereas the Colts are just throwing stuff at the wall(and #12) and seeing what sticks, and it shows..