Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Gonzo And Collie Still Not Practicing

chad72

I would not be shocked at all if Gonzo is cut. The guy has been banged up all ready in the preseason and why waste a roster spot on a guy who will probably just get hurt again in the regular season. At some point you got to be able to get out there and do something. I would not be surprised at all to see him gone and someone like Brooks takes his spot.

I am not worried about Collie until next week leading up to the first game.

http://blogs.indystar.com/philb/2011/08/30/what-we-do-and-dont-know-today/

One of them needs to be on the practice field with Peyton. If Gonzo can't go, I am afraid he might be cut. Collie, I am not worried about since his injury history has been minimal except for the concussions last year.

In a normal offseason, I would say you are correct. This year with the combination of up to 90 in camp and limited time to evaluate them I wouldn't read much into either. Caldwell said before the game against the Pack they know what both bring to the table and quite frankly there has not been any WR in preseason that has shown anywhere near the ability of Collie or Gonzo. So, I think, the Colts are using this time for evaluation only with no need to hurry back two guys who have already proven to be better than anyone below them.

I do think there is going to be some surprise cuts next week. I don't think Gonzo is going to be one of them.

I would not be shocked at all if Gonzo is cut. The guy has been banged up all ready in the preseason and why waste a roster spot on a guy who will probably just get hurt again in the regular season. At some point you got to be able to get out there and do something. I would not be surprised at all to see him gone and someone like Brooks takes his spot.

I am not worried about Collie until next week leading up to the first game.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised either. He's gone on for ages now about how this is his make or break year, and he's already missing significant amounts of time. Before now I thought no way because he's in the final year of his deal and cutting him wouldn't make much sense, but if we need a roster spot, and from the looks of things we might, he might just get the axe outright. Chris Brooks' good showing in the pre-season is doing nothing to help Gonzo.

As for Collie, I'd say we're just being cautious. He knows the offense well, and we're giving him this extra throwaway week just to make absolutely sure he is 100% when he returns to practice next week when it matters.

In a normal offseason, I would say you are correct. This year with the combination of up to 90 in camp and limited time to evaluate them I wouldn't read much into either. Caldwell said before the game against the Pack they know what both bring to the table and quite frankly there has not been any WR in preseason that has shown anywhere near the ability of Collie or Gonzo. So, I think, the Colts are using this time for evaluation only with no need to hurry back two guys who have already proven to be better than anyone below them.

I do think there is going to be some surprise cuts next week. I don't think Gonzo is going to be one of them.

I remember you stating that Gilreath makes it as a returner and Brooks makes it as a WR. I do not see that happening unless Gonzo is cut. I will explain why.

With Tamme showing us what he can do as a receiving TE, our healthy receiving options are no longer limited to Wayne, Clark, and Garcon even if Collie and Gonzo cannot go and the others are healthy. If Collie comes back, if Brooks and Gilreath make the roster, Gonzo is in all likelihood cut (OR) Brooks/Gilreath do not make the roster and one goes to the PS like Brandon James did last year despite catching multiple TDs in a pre-season game. With our defensive back rotation thin, we will shore that up since we have had more DB injuries than WR injuries over the course of the last 5 years.

Ultimately, I think either Gilreath or Brooks makes the roster if Gonzo is retained. I do not see both making the roster along with Gonzo on the roster. I remember jskinnz making a monopoly bucks bet with you about Brooks not making the roster. My bet would be what I marked in bold since I expect things to unfold exactly that way (wink :)).

I remember you stating that Gilreath makes it as a returner and Brooks makes it as a WR. I do not see that happening unless Gonzo is cut. I will explain why.

With Tamme showing us what he can do as a receiving TE, our healthy receiving options are no longer limited to Wayne, Clark, and Garcon even if Collie and Gonzo cannot go and the others are healthy. If Collie comes back, if Brooks and Gilreath make the roster, Gonzo is in all likelihood cut (OR) Brooks/Gilreath do not make the roster and one goes to the PS like Brandon James did last year despite catching multiple TDs in a pre-season game. With our defensive back rotation thin, we will shore that up since we have had more DB injuries than WR injuries over the course of the last 5 years.

Ultimately, I think either Gilreath or Brooks makes the roster if Gonzo is retained. I do not see both making the roster along with Gonzo on the roster. I remember jskinnz making a monopoly bucks bet with you about Brooks not making the roster. My bet would be what I marked in bold since I expect things to unfold exactly that way (wink :)).

I will agree there is logic to that point. My thoughts behind both Gilreath and Brooks making it is based on the following: Gilreath offers little as a receiver but will be the PR and possibly the KR, so I do not consider him part of the WR group even though he has to have a position to be assinged a number. The only reason I think Brooks makes the team is because White in still on the PUP. If White is removed from the PUP before Spet 3rd then I don't think Brooks makes the team. That way when it comes decision time for White during the season, the Colts have a player that has been practicing with the offense all season, so if White goes on IR there is no roster movement to do.

Regarding the DBs, that will be interesting, my thought on that is that the Colts will only keep 5 LBers, so that means they can keep 10 dlineman and 10 DBs.

Dlineman would be: Freeney, Mathis, Brayton, Anderson, Hughes, Harris, Nevis, Moala, Mookie and one of (Foster, Chick, Mathews and of those three Foster has the advantage, IMO, because Mathews has been inconsistent... looked bad against the Rams, great against the skins and a non factor against the pack)

DBs would be: Bethea, Bullitt, Lefeged, Caldwell, Powers, Tryon, Thomas, Lacey, Hamlin and then one of either Rucker or Johnson.

The injuries that hurt the Colts the most last year was DB and pass receiver, so I think the Colts are going to carry more than usual in those positions.

The only reason they'd cut Gonzo (if it's really a hamstring) is to save that roster bonus money.

He's had hamstring issues since he was in high school and always recovered, I don't think he ever missed any time at OSU because of it. So unless his injury is something we don't know about, I doubt he gets cut.

Personally I really think the Colts made a huge mistake in either not obtaining via signing a FA or trade another quality WR. I would have gone after at least 1 and think we could have gotten Ocho and improved or even signed Edwards or Placcio and been in better shape. Sorry but as or right now I think the Colts are going to struggle to get to 8-8 this season.

Personally I really think the Colts made a huge mistake in either not obtaining via signing a FA or trade another quality WR. I would have gone after at least 1 and think we could have gotten Ocho and improved or even signed Edwards or Placcio and been in better shape. Sorry but as or right now I think the Colts are going to struggle to get to 8-8 this season.

Okay, we were 10-6 last year without Collie and Gonzo, as well as Dallas and Joe missing a lot of time. The O-line has improved and the D line is undoubtably better.

You could be right of course, but then why not predict 4-12 by the same token?

alright how long till fans label Collie as injury prone and start calling for him to be cut? This is the second year he's been hurt (just like Gonzo). The only difference is Gonzo gave us two very good years before he got hurt vs. Collie's one.

For the recrod this isn't a real attack on Collie as it is pointing out the hate on Gonzo is a little over the top.

And you guys didn't want to sign a receiver? By the end of the year we will need another one. What is it with all our fragile receivers? Geez. For the record I'm not a Garcon fan either. He's as inconsistent as they come.I guess we better pray Dallas doesn't get hurt again this year.

alright how long till fans label Collie as injury prone and start calling for him to be cut? This is the second year he's been hurt (just like Gonzo). The only difference is Gonzo gave us two very good years before he got hurt vs. Collie's one.

For the recrod this isn't a real attack on Collie as it is pointing out the hate on Gonzo is a little over the top.

Gonzo has missed 29 games out of 32 the last 2 yrs. and I might add in those 3 games he appeared in he only played a few series so its like he's essentially missed 2 entire seasons in a row and is already injured again this preseason. If thats not injury prone, I don't know what is. Collie has only missed 7 games in 2 seasons, I would say he has some leeway. Im not endorsing cutting Gonzo, but sooner or later he has to get on the field again and prove he can stay healthy for more than 1 game.

http://blogs.indystar.com/philb/2011/08/30/what-we-do-and-dont-know-today/

One of them needs to be on the practice field with Peyton. If Gonzo can't go, I am afraid he might be cut. Collie, I am not worried about since his injury history has been minimal except for the concussions last year.

I also share the sentiment that gonzo will be cut if he doesn’t play. But Collie is a vital piece we need to sustain a superbowl run.

We will know more in a few days if he comes off of the PUP list or not. If not, I think he will be gone, and we might look at TJ but I dunno about that. I think we will just try and bring someone else up through the team.

Gonzo is not on the PUP list. He played in the first preseason game.

I really do not believe that the Colts will let Gonzo go. I believe they are along with Peyton so "sold" on gettin Wayne,Clark,Collie,Addai and Gonzo on the field at the same time. These guys on the field along with Peyton at the same time create serious issues for defenses.

1) Dallas is very difficult for a LB or Safety to deal with. (CB has the speed to keep up)

2) Reggie needs to be doubled unless you have a Revis on your D. (CB and Safety to cover)

3) Austin may be best route runner on team. If not doubled he will kill a D. (CB and Safety to cover)

4) Gonzo is very quick and elusive if u have forgot.(I know its been 2 yrs) (CB to cover)

5) Addai coming out the backfield against a LB advantage Colts (LB to cover?)

So this line up forces a D into a Dime package and we love this. Gives us an extra blocker to run against this D (5 vs 4) and also gives Peyton man coverage against Dallas, Joseph and Gonzo.

Thats why Gonzo stays IMO.

I really do not believe that the Colts will let Gonzo go. I believe they are along with Peyton so "sold" on gettin Wayne,Clark,Collie,Addai and Gonzo on the field at the same time. These guys on the field along with Peyton at the same time create serious issues for defenses.

1) Dallas is very difficult for a LB or Safety to deal with. (CB has the speed to keep up)

2) Reggie needs to be doubled unless you have a Revis on your D. (CB and Safety to cover)

3) Austin may be best route runner on team. If not doubled he will kill a D. (CB and Safety to cover)

4) Gonzo is very quick and elusive if u have forgot.(I know its been 2 yrs) (CB to cover)

5) Addai coming out the backfield against a LB advantage Colts (LB to cover?)

So this line up forces a D into a Dime package and we love this. Gives us an extra blocker to run against this D (5 vs 4) and also gives Peyton man coverage against Dallas, Joseph and Gonzo.

Chances are Addai is back there to protect Peyton more than catching checkdowns. Besides, teams, while blitzing, knowing that the QB has to get rid of the ball quickly, cover the checkdown and intermediate routes faster than they cover the routes down the field. I hate to say it but Garcon or whoever they place on the outside as the wideout, that person doing well opens up so many things for this offense. We need Garcon to do well badly or find someone on the outside that will. I am curious to see if they will use Collie on the outside since he did practice a lot in TC on the outside.

Garcon is our best Run Blocking WR, he will be out there in 2 WR sets. I could see a switch of Gonzo/Garcon at times at WR2 if Gonzo is back to form on 3rd and 4 or 3rd and 6 like plays.

Either way, if healthy we have options, lots of them

I dont think Gonzo wants to be here. period.

He doesn't want to play in one of the most high powered passing offenses in NFL history, with one of the best QB's in NFL history so he keeps intentionally injuring himself?

Well that's an..... interesting.... theory.

o_O

Where would he rather be? Jacksonville where the QB's are awful and the offense in run based?

Okay, we were 10-6 last year without Collie and Gonzo, as well as Dallas and Joe missing a lot of time. The O-line has improved and the D line is undoubtably better.

You could be right of course, but then why not predict 4-12 by the same token?

Peyton won't be ready, 100% ready till at least maybe Oct, I can see the Colts losing some games during that time. Also I would disagree that the o-line is improved, younger maybe, but still a HUGE issue and not sure how you can think our D line is undoubtably better. At to that age and a very very tough schedule, I think this team is going to struggle and believe 8-8 is where we will finish.

Peyton won't be ready, 100% ready till at least maybe Oct, I can see the Colts losing some games during that time. Also I would disagree that the o-line is improved, younger maybe, but still a HUGE issue and not sure how you can think our D line is undoubtably better. At to that age and a very very tough schedule, I think this team is going to struggle and believe 8-8 is where we will finish.

Like I said, you could be right. IMO the O-line already looks better than last year. You can't deny it's bigger.

And if you don't think the D-Line is improved, you haven't been watching the preseason games. I can't argue about when Peyton will be 100%, I don't think anyone knows that but him.

Just different perspectives, maybe I'm optimistic.

Hmm 8-8 I will take that bet. If Vegas put the over under on the Colts at 8 wins..........I like the over.

Vegas has us at 9.5 wins. I still think winning 10 games is very attainable. I might go with the over this season. I need to make sure there are no pre-season injuries in week 4 before I even think about that though.

How do they figure we win the half game?

score 1300 points against the Titans in the first half and just not come out for the second? lolol

I'm not that worried about Collie, because it seems like he's being held out for precautionary reasons more than anything else, and that's fine. There's been a number of significant injuries to key players in the preseason this year, so err on the side of caution and you have my blessing. Plus, he's a pretty fast healer. He was supposed to be out for a month with the thumb injury last year, and I think he only missed one game. The concussion thing is much different, but generally, he bounces back pretty well.

Gonzo, he's flirting with not making the final 53, and that would truly be a shame. He's a good receiver, if you ask me. He'd be our 4th receiver, and probably wouldn't play that much, so it's not that big a loss, but I'd much rather have him healthy and available. Hope he's being held out for the same precautionary reasons as Collie.

I'm not that worried about Collie, because it seems like he's being held out for precautionary reasons more than anything else, and that's fine. There's been a number of significant injuries to key players in the preseason this year, so err on the side of caution and you have my blessing. Plus, he's a pretty fast healer. He was supposed to be out for a month with the thumb injury last year, and I think he only missed one game. The concussion thing is much different, but generally, he bounces back pretty well.

Gonzo, he's flirting with not making the final 53, and that would truly be a shame. He's a good receiver, if you ask me. He'd be our 4th receiver, and probably wouldn't play that much, so it's not that big a loss, but I'd much rather have him healthy and available. Hope he's being held out for the same precautionary reasons as Collie.

I think if Gonzo stays healthy, and I do agree that is a big if, he will either be the number 2 WR or the #3 (if Collie takes over the #2 WR spot) by week 4. I think Gonzo is that much better than Garcon and Garcon is that inconsistent.

I think Collie is on the same level as Wayne and will prove to be one of the best WRs in the NFL if he stays healty.

I think if Gonzo stays healthy, and I do agree that is a big if, he will either be the number 2 WR or the #3 (if Collie takes over the #2 WR spot) by week 4. I think Gonzo is that much better than Garcon and Garcon is that inconsistent.

I think Collie is on the same level as Wayne and will prove to be one of the best WRs in the NFL if he stays healty.

It's hard for me to assess Gonzo in comparison with Garcon, because they've never been on the field at the same time and Gonzo hasn't been healthy the past two years. He definitely has the tools, as he showed in his rookie year. Better hands than Garcon, better route runner... doesn't play with the physicality, and while he's plenty fast, Garcon can stretch the field better. If I had to choose between the two, I'm taking Gonzo, but if you consider him a better slot receiver, then he's basically duplicating what Collie and Clark already give you on the inside. I think there would be a competition between Gonzo and Garcon for the 3rd spot, but only if he's healthy.

I'll reserve my opinion on Collie being that good until I see more of him. He obviously benefits from playing the slot with Reggie out there.

As far as Gonzo, not surprisingly we don't know the severity of his hamstring injury (grade 1 - 3). But anyone who ever played football, or other running, jumping sports, knows the therapy for hamstring injuries. Rest is essential.

Forgive me if I don't suscribe to some of the theories given on the board (like "he doesn't want to be here"), I think he's doing everything humanly possible to get back but he and the trainers know that rushing back is the worst thing to do.

We'll all know how serious the Colts think his injury is next week when they make the final cuts.

It's hard for me to assess Gonzo in comparison with Garcon, because they've never been on the field at the same time and Gonzo hasn't been healthy the past two years. He definitely has the tools, as he showed in his rookie year. Better hands than Garcon, better route runner... doesn't play with the physicality, and while he's plenty fast, Garcon can stretch the field better. If I had to choose between the two, I'm taking Gonzo, but if you consider him a better slot receiver, then he's basically duplicating what Collie and Clark already give you on the inside. I think there would be a competition between Gonzo and Garcon for the 3rd spot, but only if he's healthy.

I'll reserve my opinion on Collie being that good until I see more of him. He obviously benefits from playing the slot with Reggie out there.

As far as Gonzo, not surprisingly we don't know the severity of his hamstring injury (grade 1 - 3). But anyone who ever played football, or other running, jumping sports, knows the therapy for hamstring injuries. Rest is essential.

Forgive me if I don't suscribe to some of the theories given on the board (like "he doesn't want to be here"), I think he's doing everything humanly possible to get back but he and the trainers know that rushing back is the worst thing to do.

We'll all know how serious the Colts think his injury is next week when they make the final cuts.

Gonzo and Garcon have not been on the field much together that is for sure, but yes I am basing my comparison on route running, hands, ability for YAC and being at the correct place at the correct time. I do agree Garcon is more physical, I don't believe he can stretch the field any more than Gonzo.

Also people, and you SMonroe, talk about slot receiver and my contention is; in the Colts offense there the skills needed for a slot receiver transfer very well to an outside receiver but the reverse is not true... ie Garcon would not do well in the slot in the Colts O. And that is only because so much of the passing game is predicated on timing and precision. I can see a scenario where Wayne and Collie are out there in a 2 WR set. Wayne, Collie and Gonzo (slot) in a 3 WR set and the Wayne, Collie (slot), Gonzo (slot) and Garcon (outside) in the 4 WR set.

We shall see, but really if the Colts do a 4 WR set with an empty backfield and Clark at TE, is there a defense in the NFL that could stop that? I don't think so.