Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A.Q. Shipley

krunk

I usually watch the line play on both sides of the ball my second viewing. but some people on here i can tell have a good sense in judging how players contribute, have praised his game today. i will see for myself. but i did notice alot of the pressure was coming from other places than up the middle which is a great indicator of good blocking.

I agree that man is good....did anyone see the push the oline was getting? Tbh if they keep getting better I don't mind if Samson or Joe don't come back.

I enjoyed him thoroughly. He's a big man, and he appears to be a good upgrade over Satele.

I'll have to go back and look again, but it seemed like Tony Hills played pretty solid as well when

he had to come in for Mike Mcglynn after he got injured.

I agree that man is good....did anyone see the push the oline was getting? Tbh if they keep getting better I don't mind if Samson or Joe don't come back.

I did see on that play before Luck hit Reggie on the TD and he scrambled for the 1st. A.Q got off the line well and sealed the opening for Luck to get that 1st down.

he did a great job at the center possition picked up his blocks well, fluent snaps i think when satele returns colts shud try him at the left gaurd possition until reitz is ready to go, and tony hills only had one play but did he ever show up with a big time block sealing the edge for donald brown.. i like what i saw today great improvement fighting hard for chuck pagano!

he did a great job at the center possition picked up his blocks well, fluent snaps i think when satele returns colts shud try him at the left gaurd possition until reitz is ready to go, and tony hills only had one play but did he ever show up with a big time block sealing the edge for donald brown.. i like what i saw today great improvement fighting hard for chuck pagano!

agreed

I liked Shipley as soon as I saw him play in the pre season. Satele should still be our starting center, but Shipley needs to stick around as a backup center, I wouldn't even mind seeing him play guard. To be honest I hope Satele misses 1 or 2 more games just so we can see if Shipley is consistent enough to keep around. I would be dissapointed greatly if he goes back to the practice squad

I enjoyed him thoroughly. He's a big man, and he appears to be a good upgrade over Satele.

I'll have to go back and look again, but it seemed like Tony Hills played pretty solid as well when

he had to come in for Mike Mcglynn after he got injured.

Hills played for one snap.

Did a very good job replacing Satele. Maybe he's worth starting at guard? They should maybe test that out in practice and see how he does.

Him and Castonzo were the best players on the O-line today, and Link wasn't horrible too.

I thought he played a great game Sunday. He was better Sunday than any game Satele has played this season (and I know Satele has been banged up) What really impessed me was how active he was. I have noticed alot of the time on pass plays when Satele would drop back and look for someone to pick up and end up not hitting anybody. Shipley was much more active whether there was anyone that needed help or not he went and hit somebody on ever play. I don't know whether he can continue the level of play that he showed on Sunday but he played a great game and he was relentless and made sure he hit somebody on every play and this kind of hustle and aggressive play is just what this O-line needs.I hope he at least gets another start this week to see if he can continue to play at this level,if nothing else maybe his play Sunday will light a fire under Sateles butt and inspire him to play with the same intensity that Shipley played with Sunday. I would really like to see him get another start.If we can get Reitz back and this kind of hustle out of either Satele or Shipley this O-line could really start to take shape. "GO COLTS"

it was a misread by WJ not a blown assignment

I disagree (from the way it looked since I don't know what the line call was). Fleener pushes Perry to the outside you do that to give the tackle time to get back in position, Justice was just too slow to get back there.

yep. costanzo missed one or two also on stunts.

One, Perry wasn't stunting. Watching the game earlier I did not see AC miss any stunts, let alone two. He got beat a couple of times but none that appeared to be blown assignments or "misreads"

I disagree (from the way it looked since I don't know what the line call was). Fleener pushes Perry to the outside you do that to give the tackle time to get back in position, Justice was just too slow to get back there.

He looked lost on that play, to me. Not slow, not out of position, but lost. Like he didn't recognize that Perry was coming, at all. He wasn't even close enough to reach out and hold him. That screams "blown assignment," to me.

One, Perry wasn't stunting. Watching the game earlier I did not see AC miss any stunts, let alone two. He got beat a couple of times but none that appeared to be blown assignments or "misreads"

I don't remember which play it was, but Castonzo blocked down on the inside man, and let the outside man come untouched. I think he doubled Matthews with Linkenbach, and I think Matthews rushed inside and the other rusher stunted around him. This is from memory; I'll check.

On another note, how about Linkenbach??? Can't play right guard to save his or anyone else's life, but not a total waste of flesh at left guard. What gives?

He looked lost on that play, to me. Not slow, not out of position, but lost. Like he didn't recognize that Perry was coming, at all. He wasn't even close enough to reach out and hold him. That screams "blown assignment," to me.

I agree, I thought it was a blown assignment.
I don't remember which play it was, but Castonzo blocked down on the inside man, and let the outside man come untouched. I think he doubled Matthews with Linkenbach, and I think Matthews rushed inside and the other rusher stunted around him. This is from memory; I'll check.
I think I remember which play you are talking about and that was a delayed blitz where whatever his name is waited until AC engaged and then came. That, IMO, is not a missed assignment it's a good defensive call.
On another note, how about Linkenbach??? Can't play right guard to save his or anyone else's life, but not a total waste of flesh at left guard. What gives?

I will go back and watch again but Link still does not impress me. IMO, Link played good in the GB only when comparing it to his other games but he is still not what I would call NFL caliber. I picture a conversation like this between Link and Griggs (before Polian)

GM: Link, we think you are a great guy and a hard worker but we just don't think you are ready to be an NFL lineman. So we are going to have to let you go.

Link: I'm sorry to hear that but I disagree, you are not going to let me go.

GM: Yes, here are your papers. Thanks for your time and best of luck.

Link: Before I look at that, why don't you look at the contents of this manila envelope

GM: {Face turning red}

Link: Now, what would your wife or the media think if they saw those?

GM: {Starting to sweat}

Link: {Sits silently}

GM: Link, congratulations you made the 53 man roster and I'm sure with hard work you will be a valuable back-up for the Colts

Link: Oh, I see myself as more of a starter than a back-up don't you?

GM: Um yeah I guess so.

Link: {Pulls out a second envelope} What was that?

GM: Yessir, Mr. Linkenbach sir, what ever you say sir, starter? I agree, tackle, guard wherever you want. Would you like a cold beverage?

But that is just me.

the one play the two d linemen stunted and costanzo didn't hand his man off to link and links man looped around untouched. it happens.

I remember that play .. It was an over load blitz .. Which is a typical designed to do that ..

I liked the O line yesterday, with the exception of W Justice. Shipley and Castonzo were great at keeping the blitzes in line. I have high hopes for Shipley long term.

lol please Constanzo did not play all that well either..Shipley was the lone bright spot. I'm also curious to see more out of Tony Hills..for some I just feel that we have something there.

lol please Constanzo did not play all that well either..Shipley was the lone bright spot. I'm also curious to see more out of Tony Hills..for some I just feel that we have something there.

I disagree with that I thought both Link and McGlynn held their own on Sunday. I think Shipley did well since he wasn't even on the roster 48 hours before the game. He had the one false start but I'll cut him some slack on that. Also I think Castonzo held his own on Sunday as well. Keep in mind Clay Mathews is no chump either and he's going to get his no matter who blocks him. Castonzo got beat for a sack once and got beat on another play or two here or there but for the most part held his own and once again the left side of the line was where most of the big runs came from which says something about Castonzo and Link's run blocking. As for Justice weak game for him but frankly this was the first game he's played where I thought he was an honest issue.

All and all for a make shift unit they did a good job on Sunday. Zero sacks in the second half and over a 100 yards rushing as a team. I think we need to give a little more credit than we have been to the Packers. They did a great job mixing up their blitzes and over loading and sending more guys than we could block to attack our make shift line and especially after half-time they held up.