Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Clay Matthews doesn't scare the colts [Merge]

Smitto

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000069466/article/clay-matthews-doesnt-scare-indianapolis-colts?module=HP11_headline_stack

Bruce didnt say it like that in the link but i like the sound of that, challenge your offensive line give them assurance that you trust them.

Statistically the colts have a better offense than the packers.. which shows how misleading stats are. However i think this is really gonna be a close game though, colts maybe get the run game going?

If Luck can't find anyone open and he gets pressure from Matthews, he should have some running room if need be considering that the defense will have to devote most of their defenders to covering our wideouts.

They'll probably be playing man coverage a majority of the time. If he can get those short and mid range passes

completed consistently enough it will also allow us to get an edge on the time of possesion, which will allow us to keep the ball away from Aaron Rodgers. That will also allow us to play with the lead, or at least keep the game close.

If Luck can't find anyone open and he gets pressure from Matthews, he should have some running room if need be considering that the defense will have to devote most of their defenders to covering our wideouts.

They'll probably be playing man coverage a majority of the time.

good point

Castonzo vs Matthews is a bit reassuring, but I still don't like Anthony's chances.

If he switches to the right side, Justice will have a tough time against him. Really tough time (Imagine if Link somehow goes in, that would be horrible).

The Colts should worry about him.

"We tried to put a tight end on one and a halfback on the other and we got sacked about eight times," Arians said. "Then we went empty, spread out and threw it quick, we got hit a couple times, but we beat them."

^^^^Wayne, Avery, Hilton, Brazill....4 wide all day. If Castonzo has him I think he can handle him, but it might not hurt to have Brown chip him.

Have Allen chip him all day then go out for a pass, take advantage of Matthews aggressiveness, dump passes over his head, he will back off, if not just throw to the open area all day, throw it short to go deep, throw some screens to Brown.

Have Allen chip him all day then go out for a pass, take advantage of Matthews aggressiveness, dump passes over his head, he will back off, if not just throw to the open area all day, throw it short to go deep, throw some screens to Brown.

If you want to curb a pass-rusher's aggressiveness you need to run the ball at them effectively. If you simply pass over Matthews' head all he'll do is put his arms up to bat the ball down or try to get to Luck even quicker. There's really not much incentive for him to back off in that situation when his assignment is to get to Luck.

If you want to curb a pass-rusher's aggressiveness you need to run the ball at them effectively. If you simply pass over Matthews' head all he'll do is put his arms up to bat the ball down or try to get to Luck even quicker. There's really not much incentive for him to back off in that situation when his assignment is to get to Luck.

Matthews is very disciplined in playing the run. Having Allen chip him and roll out into the flat could work very well, it slows the pass rush down significantly and gets Allen into his route. If Matthews continues the pass rush, he's already been slowed down a lot and he's still got to get by Castonzo (pretty stout LT). If he backs up and covers Allen in the flat it's a different story, but it still takes away their best pass rusher. New Orleans took him out of the game on pass rushes last week just by chipping him. It's not like Nick Perry is doing much to merrit extra attention.

Our Oline matches up well with their Dline, and our Dline matches up well with their Oline. Freeney VS Marshall Newhouse, Bryan Bulaga, the guy that gave up like 5 sacks against Seattle, VS Robert Mathis......haha Good luck with that GB.

I think it will be an interesting game... Both of our offenses have potent passing attacks and minimal running games. Obviously developmentaly Green Bay is further along that the Colts. I imagine this game is going to come down to which D can create the most pressure and which Offense can generate enough of a rushing attack to offset the pass rush.

If our CBs can hang with their WRs long enough to let the pass rush get to Rogers then we have a shot. The Colts will live or die by the pass rush.

See, this is the kind of stuff that makes people not like him. He's basically telling everyone, he fully expects Luck to take hits and he has no intention of shoring up his protection. Our O-line was already considered a weakness before, and now he intends on sending out 5 receivers for much of the game. What makes it worse is, you know he'll still probably continue to dial up long developing routes with only one outlet receiver on each play.

We'll see how this works out, but it sounds like one pretty dumb plan, to me

I may be wrong, but it looked to me as though Arians was simply trying to say, we are gonna play how we play. We aren't going to devote our blocking scheme to Matthew's, and maybe it is just to catch Matthews off guard. I don't know, but I have to think they can gameplan for the whole defense. To Arians defense, if we focus too much on Matthews, we could possibly cut off our outlets. I agree with the statements to let Allen chip him and turn back for the ball. I just think what Bruce is on about is he is going to play the whole GB defense, not just Clay Matthews........and I agree with that. Make every man beat you. I don't know, just some of my thoughts. Hopefully we can keep him away from Luck, I'm going to be looking for rollout lanes in our line. I'll bet we see Luck moving around by design......maybe? I may change my mind by this afternoon. LOL

See, this is the kind of stuff that makes people not like him. He's basically telling everyone, he fully expects Luck to take hits and he has no intention of shoring up his protection. Our O-line was already considered a weakness before, and now he intends on sending out 5 receivers for much of the game. What makes it worse is, you know he'll still probably continue to dial up long developing routes with only one outlet receiver on each play.

We'll see how this works out, but it sounds like one pretty dumb*** plan, to me

No it does not...Simple article...read it again...why does everyone make a big deal out of a simple article...geez

I may be wrong, but it looked to me as though Arians was simply trying to say, we are gonna play how we play. We aren't going to devote our blocking scheme to Matthew's, and maybe it is just to catch Matthews off guard. I don't know, but I have to think they can gameplan for the whole defense. To Arians defense, if we focus too much on Matthews, we could possibly cut off our outlets. I agree with the statements to let Allen chip him and turn back for the ball. I just think what Bruce is on about is he is going to play the whole GB defense, not just Clay Matthews........and I agree with that. Make every man beat you. I don't know, just some of my thoughts. Hopefully we can keep him away from Luck, I'm going to be looking for rollout lanes in our line. I'll bet we see Luck moving around by design......maybe? I may change my mind by this afternoon. LOL

I said in another thread....I feel a Fleener 'coming out party.....I hope I am right.....I also predicted an Avery Bomb not to be confused with a :Nuke: Go get em Colts!!!!! :blueshoe: :blueshoe: :blueshoe:

No it does not...Simple article...read it again...why does everyone make a big deal out of a simple article...geez

I read it, and it sounds like a stupid plan to me.

"I don't think you can overly concern yourself with a guy. You challenge who's blocking him because they move him all around. It's not going to be Anthony Castonzo the whole game. He's going to be inside putting spin moves on whoever is playing guard, he's going to be on the right side. You say you can account for him, but he's not where you put him and you're over there chipping someone who doesn't need to be chipped....
..."Get your guys out, let the quarterback read his patterns and play football."

What happens when Matthews is lined up over Linkenbach or Olsen (basically anyone not named Costanzo)? Overused cliches aren't going to help us when our make shift line is getting tossed around all game by not only Mathews, but basically Greenbay's entire front 7. We don't have the talent on the O-line to leave anyone (other than Costanzo occasionally) in a one-on-one situation with Matthews. For him to even suggest so comes off as extremely arrogant and ill-conceived.

I'm sorry, but "play football" just isn't gonna cut it. He's setting us up to play "chuck and duck" this Sunday.

Word to the Wise, NEVER pay attention to NFL.com when something like this are said. I've watched NFL Total Access numerous times when they do the interviews. And they'll try to get the person to throw a little salt in the pot of a upcoming game. Like when they asked Finnegan will he & Andre Johnson ever face-off again (After the Fight between the 2). They preach about a Safety league, but they constantly try to get something going. Then when a dispute or something happens, they act like it's "News" to them. Smh

Green Bay is Over-Rated. They BARELY beat the WORSE team in the NFL last week. If we do what we have to do, we'll Win. I'm sorry, but I just don't consider GB to be a Threat anymore in the NFL. Bears or Vikings will Win their Division. And if they slide into the Playoffs, they'll get knocked out early again

Green Bay is Over-Rated. They BARELY beat the WORSE team in the NFL last week. If we do what we have to do, we'll Win. I'm sorry, but I just don't consider GB to be a Threat anymore in the NFL. Bears or Vikings will Win their Division. And if they slide into the Playoffs, they'll get knocked out early again

By their record, yes, the Saints are the worst team in the NFL, but when it comes to talent, I don't think so. They still have a monster offense and two guys named Drew Brees and Jimmy Graham. I agree with you about the Packers though...they will lose the division to Chicago, but them losing to Minnesota is a stretch. They probably will get into the playoffs though, as long as Rodgers doesn't get sacked 8 times in the first half of play, or the entire game, for the rest of this season lol. That was just pitiful.

By their record, yes, the Saints are the worst team in the NFL, but when it comes to talent, I don't think so. They still have a monster offense and two guys named Drew Brees and Jimmy Graham. I agree with you about the Packers though...they will lose the division to Chicago, but them losing to Minnesota is a stretch. They probably will get into the playoffs though, as long as Rodgers doesn't get sacked 8 times in the first half of play, or the entire game, for the rest of this season lol. That was just pitiful.

Well unless the Vikings get exposed like the Cardinals did last week, they have a Chance to beat them. And that 8 sack disaster is what exposed the Packers. The 12th man played a HUGE part in that

The San Diego game is huge for the Saints.....they win....they can go on a monster roll. Good points as usual Quiz!!

The team comes down to they have simply not figured out the Steve Spagnuolo defense, and the offense has been a model of inconsistency without Coach Payton. Brees is too good to not figure this out, and in no way, shape or form are the Saints the worst team in the league. Even though I have criticized the Saints heavily in the past, I consider them to be dangerous any week in the dome, and anytime Brees has the ball in hand.

As to Green Bay....I hope their free 'loss' at the hands of the SCABS is not the loss that hurts them, but I would love to see the Bears with the upper hand....if Cutler can keep his head on straight. :)

Well unless the Vikings get exposed like the Cardinals did last week, they have a Chance to beat them. And that 8 sack disaster is what exposed the Packers. The 12th man played a HUGE part in that

It is still early in the season, so we will find out the contenders and pretenders soon enough. I don't think GB has really gotten it rolling yet, though they may be out with something to prove after their loss in Seattle. I'm not sold on Ponder but A.D. is playing as though he was never injured. If the Vikings make the playoffs or beat out Green Bay twice I will admit that I was wrong, but as of now, I don't think they have what it takes. Just my opinion of course.

Remember, Castanzo shut down Jared Allen and made him very frustrated, causing some penalties. Course, Matthews is the best pass rusher in football right now.

No, I think J.J.Watts is.

Draw plays are almost a must to slow them down. Our OLs and TEs in space should have their A+ game blocking in space, IMO, to run effectively vs the Packers, cant win a shootout with Rodgers, just keep him on the sidelines more.

The San Diego game is huge for the Saints.....they win....they can go on a monster roll. Good points as usual Quiz!!

The team comes down to they have simply not figured out the Steve Spagnuolo defense, and the offense has been a model of inconsistency without Coach Payton. Brees is too good to not figure this out, and in no way, shape or form are the Saints the worst team in the league. Even though I have criticized the Saints heavily in the past, I consider them to be dangerous any week in the dome, and anytime Brees has the ball in hand.

As to Green Bay....I hope their free 'loss' at the hands of the SCABS is not the loss that hurts them, but I would love to see the Bears with the upper hand....if Cutler can keep his head on straight. :)

I hope Cutler blows them out of the water the next time they play hahaha. He might not want to trash talk before the game this time though lol. I don't know why Brees hasn't been able to get his offense to be a consistent threat as it was last season, but it's probably because of his distractions and undying desire to call out Goodell, stick up for guilty teammates, try to force or make big plays under pressure from the 0-4, subsequent media problems, etc. etc. lol. I wonder if he has what it takes to take out the Chargers.

I hope Cutler blows them out of the water the next time they play hahaha. He might not want to trash talk before the game this time though lol. I don't know why Brees hasn't been able to get his offense to be a consistent threat as it was last season, but it's probably because of his distractions and undying desire to call out Goodell, stick up for guilty teammates, try to force or make big plays under pressure from the 0-4, subsequent media problems, etc. etc. lol. I wonder if he has what it takes to take out the Chargers.

I expect more blitzing on SNF from Spagnuolos to compensate for a lack of pass rush. The home crowd noise plus primetime factor motivates the Saints more times than not.

Let me see the last 2 years - Brees against everyone in 2009 (Patriots shellacked in 2009 and so on...), Brees at home vs Steelers on SNF in 2010, Brees at Falcons on MNF in 2010 in a close one, Brees at home vs Falcons on MNF in 2011 (breaking Marino's record), the Saints do love playing night games, dont they???

I agree QB ,the Bears are better overall,the only concern i have with them is the OL giving Cutler the proper protection,and Tice calling the proper plays.I think its time to let Jay make more calls at the line of scrimmage IMO

One thing against the Saints is all of the 'hoopla' surrounding the record breaking TD pass......

I still feel the Saints were so 'juiced' by the return of Vilma against the 'Skins' that they fell behind early....it hurt, and they lost their way early. The same thing could happen against the Chargers? Too juiced with Payton looking on? Chargers have been awful on turf.....but are 3-1....and I have not heard the annual Fire Norv theme........YET....:)

With you on the Bears vs Pack....sorry Pack fans....just saw Raji's belly again on the discount double-check... :yuk::ill: :sick:

I expect more blitzing on SNF from Spagnuolos to compensate for a lack of pass rush. The home crowd noise plus primetime factor motivates the Saints more times than not.

Let me see the last 2 years - Brees against everyone in 2009 (Patriots shellacked in 2009 and so on...), Brees at home vs Steelers on SNF in 2010, Brees at Falcons on MNF in 2010 in a close one, Brees at home vs Falcons on MNF in 2011 (breaking Marino's record), the Saints do love playing night games, dont they???

Hahaha I know right? If they tank this season though, we will see all those fancy prime times drop substantially. The Superdome is definitely an advantage when it comes to crowd noise on a Sunday night. If they blitz they better be sneaky about it, or Rivers will be able to find open guys quickly. If they let him do that and Mathews gets it going, it will be a long day for the Saints. I just hope the Chargers defense doesn't let Brees score...he's breaking too many records way too quick lol.

I agree QB ,the Bears are better overall,the only concern i have with them is the OL giving Cutler the proper protection,and Tice calling the proper plays.I think its time to let Jay make more calls at the line of scrimmage IMO

At least he's only been sacked 13 times this year. It's definitely an improvement. I agree and if Jay wants to cement his status as an elite quarterback it would be in his and his team's best interests to make calls at the los. I don't see a reason for Tice not to trust him.

One thing against the Saints is all of the 'hoopla' surrounding the record breaking TD pass......

I still feel the Saints were so 'juiced' by the return of Vilma against the 'Skins' that they fell behind early....it hurt, and they lost their way early. The same thing could happen against the Chargers? Too juiced with Payton looking on? Chargers have been awful on turf.....but are 3-1....and I have not heard the annual Fire Norv theme........YET.... :)

With you on the Bears vs Pack....sorry Pack fans....just saw Raji's belly again on the discount double-check... :yuk::ill: :sick:

I'm sure a loss in prime time could get the firebirds to come out hahaha. And Raji...smh :omg:

No, I think J.J.Watts is.

Draw plays are almost a must to slow them down. Our OLs and TEs in space should have their A+ game blocking in space, IMO, to run effectively vs the Packers, cant win a shootout with Rodgers, just keep him on the sidelines more.

JJ Watt. And they're both great, but I like Mattthews.