Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cornerbacks

natelombardi

Keep in mind we have David Caldwell playing FS in place of Bethea. Not only that, but there aren't many teams in the NFL that have as many offensive weapons as the Packers do. It's also preseason, so no big deal. The Colts look at preseason as a way of evaluating players rather than winning the games and showing their dominance.

i think we need to get kelvin hayden back. lacey had a lot of tackles but he did not impress me in pass coverage at all

Agreed. He played off of his receiver in the first half (which is how the Colts' corners are coaches, I know), but he seemed like he could not do much tonight. He is not a big hitter, I'm not impressed with his hands, and he always seems to be a step behind the play IMO. Powers is doing a great job, I wish we had a PROVEN 2nd corner on the team and not an unproven rookie like Rucker. I feel in the regular season, most of our receiving yards will be given up on the #2 receiver of the opposing team because of Lacey. He might not give up the big play, but those 7 yard passing routes add up and they give the other team eventual first downs. Other than Vaughn, Lacey was one of the few negatives I took away from the Colts/Packers pre-season game.

Really like Kevin Thomas, but Lacey had a good game tonight. Still think Thomas is better. HAven't seen too much Tryon. Liked what I saw from Caldwell and Newton. Chip Vaughn is another story :angry:

How can you say you liked what you saw from Lacey? Are you sure you watched the same game as everyone else? And Caldwell? You liked how he handled the onside kick? Are you intoxicated or just trying to be funny or both?

How can you say you liked what you saw from Lacey? Are you sure you watched the same game as everyone else? And Caldwell? You liked how he handled the onside kick? Are you intoxicated or just trying to be funny or both?

That's not his fault,he didn't drop the ball like Basket did.No one on the team was prepared for that, and that all leads back to the coaching. Driver only had 3 catches, and Lacey had the most tackles in the game with 5. He covered very well. I did have a few cold ones during the game, but I'm typing properly, aren't I?

That's not his fault,he didn't drop the ball like Basket did.No one on the team was prepared for that, and that all leads back to the coaching. Driver only had 3 catches, and Lacey had the most tackles in the game with 5. He covered very well. I did have a few cold ones during the game, but I'm typing properly, aren't I?

lol..........yes you are typing fine. Did you ever consider that the reason Lacey had so many tackles was b/c his man was wide open all night long? He also missed an easy tackle that lead to a 35 yard after the catch play. He was miserable tonight. As far as the onside kick goes, if no one on the team was ready for the onside and given our history with onsides (see super bowl against Saints), shouldn't our head coach be responsible for that. It begs teh question........what did you like about Caldwell tonight? What am I missing that you are seeing through those beer goggles bro!?!?

lol..........yes you are typing fine. Did you ever consider that the reason Lacey had so many tackles was b/c his man was wide open all night long? He also missed an easy tackle that lead to a 35 yard after the catch play. He was miserable tonight. As far as the onside kick goes, if no one on the team was ready for the onside and given our history with onsides (see super bowl against Saints), shouldn't our head coach be responsible for that. It begs teh question........what did you like about Caldwell tonight? What am I missing that you are seeing through those beer goggles bro!?!?

He made a couple of tackles inside of 5 yards, he made the tackle before the receiver did anything bad. Lacey and Tryon and all the other RCBs covered Nelson, and Joens that night. It's not all his fault. He had an okay night, but I wouldn't say he was bad. Thomas is better however, adn the same with Tryon. I think Caldwell is an okay coach, who makes a bunch of stupid decisions, but didn't a SB winning coach named Tony Dungy start off badly also?? I think so. I liked how he showed off his emotions during the Vaughn incident. I'm see the reality and the facts of the game through my Bud goggles........ bud.

He made a couple of tackles inside of 5 yards, he made the tackle before the receiver did anything bad. Lacey and Tryon and all the other RCBs covered Nelson, and Joens that night. It's not all his fault. He had an okay night, but I wouldn't say he was bad. Thomas is better however, adn the same with Tryon. I think Caldwell is an okay coach, who makes a bunch of stupid decisions, but didn't a SB winning coach named Tony Dungy start off badly also?? I think so. I liked how he showed off his emotions during the Vaughn incident. I'm see the reality and the facts of the game through my Bud goggles........ bud.

I figured that when you mentioned "liking what you saw of of Caldwell" that you were most likely referring to his small rise of emotion over Vaughn. Other than that, he is lame and has no business being a head coach in this league. The fact that we're excited about him showing some emotion ought to say just how low our expectation are of the guy. Heck, even Dungy got fired up emotionally. That said..........don't get me started on Dungy. Before the whistle blows to start the game, he's a great coach. Unfortunately, if a game came down to coaching, we were at a disadvantage to nearly every team in the league. I love that man and will never challenge his chacter or integrity, but as far as a game day coach, he was lacking. I don't even know where to begin with Caldwell except to say that he's lost.

Keep in mind we have David Caldwell playing FS in place of Bethea. Not only that, but there aren't many teams in the NFL that have as many offensive weapons as the Packers do. It's also preseason, so no big deal. The Colts look at preseason as a way of evaluating players rather than winning the games and showing their dominance.

It was hard to get a read on Caldwell. I know he was in a lot of tackles tonight but I am not sure if that's because he was late getting to the guy he was supposed to cover. Also since Bethea was out they had Bullitt doing the secondary calls.

Powers is slowly becoming a shut down corner I am not sure Rodgers went his way one time tonight.

I'd also just say the Colts were also playing their base defense all night long that may or may not account for the corners being so far off. It would be interesting to see if they would have adjusted had it been a real game who knows, history says they very well might not have but sooner or later they are going to adjust. It's worth noting the Packers ran the same play they were running with Nelson in the first half and one time Thomas did come up and leveled the WR as soon as the ball was there.

all you guys are colts haters. you are not true fans. we could be stuck with an * coach. caldwell is not an *. we have had a good record every year with caldwell so far. basically the record speaks for itself. its * preseason. everyone needs to stop acting like our team is falling apart. we suck something terrible every preseason. as long as we keep making it to the playoffs, in my oppinion caldwells fine.as for his emotion. its great dungy did it, and we kicked a** just fine. WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE REX? that loud mouthed fried chicken destroying SOB.or belichick who acts like a vein in his eyeball is about to burst everytime he has to step in front of a podium.( even though our record would probably be even better with him ) This guy still looks like he is on the verge of snapping and strangling a reporter after every question he is given. i respect caldwells firm silence. if you think you can do better, well step on up. THE POINT IS. we are supposed to be fans not critics. if your so good at making decisions,get some money and get your own team.

14-2 with his first season.taking the team to the superbowl. best record of a rookie coach

10-6 (second season/last year) still better than most teams out there.

Third year....oh yeah he is in his third preseason year,so i guess we should cut him some slack!

get some man up corners the pass rush is fine the run d is fine. but vs a solid qb our secondary sucks smh

Get some man-up corners so they can...play zone defense? Yeah, that would help. Where are these guys going to come from anyway? Who's going to pay for them? rotflmao Your lack of understanding for the schematics of the system, and the game in general, never ceases to amaze me.

I'm not a big Lacey fan but let's remember that Lacey stepped in last year with all of the injuries and had a decent season filling in. This is preseason people let's not get in a up roar as of yet. The Colts play a Cover two D the corners give up the short plays not the deep ones. I know it is heartbreaking to see all of those short passes. When you look at the corners they don't get to many deep passes thrown on them. If I remember correctly Lacey was a strong point last year. Give him till the start of the season, he will be fine. IMAO.

i think we need to get kelvin hayden back. lacey had a lot of tackles but he did not impress me in pass coverage at all

Since there's no appreciable cap savings this year with the Hayden cut (but will be in 2012 and 2013) and the fact that he's not found another job....it could be a case where his neck injury is a bigger factor than many of us on the outside may have thought. He was released for good cause, let it stay that way.

Did he have the good hands team on the feild or no ?

lacy has a lot of tackles but his man has already caught the ball, he plays too far off

all you guys are colts haters. you are not true fans. we could be stuck with an * coach. caldwell is not an *. we have had a good record every year with caldwell so far. basically the record speaks for itself. its * preseason. everyone needs to stop acting like our team is falling apart. we suck something terrible every preseason. as long as we keep making it to the playoffs, in my oppinion caldwells fine.as for his emotion. its great dungy did it, and we kicked a** just fine. WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE REX? that loud mouthed fried chicken destroying SOB.or belichick who acts like a vein in his eyeball is about to burst everytime he has to step in front of a podium.( even though our record would probably be even better with him ) This guy still looks like he is on the verge of snapping and strangling a reporter after every question he is given. i respect caldwells firm silence. if you think you can do better, well step on up. THE POINT IS. we are supposed to be fans not critics. if your so good at making decisions,get some money and get your own team.

14-2 with his first season.taking the team to the superbowl. best record of a rookie coach

Third year....oh yeah he is in his third preseason year,so i guess we should cut him some slack!

I'm sure you have some nice points in there, but I didn't bother reading it. Gave me a headache just looking at that mess.

Its the whole defence thats out of place. We can divide them up in 4 levels of talent.

Elite:

Freeney

Good:

Mathis

Bethea

Average:

Brackett

Bullitt

Below average:

The rest

Thats why we play cover2, because oure corners are pretty bad, so the safeties has to be the safety net. And when some of the key players on defence gets injured, we are struggeling big time. We need depth on most positions i'm sad to say.

Its the whole defence thats out of place. We can divide them up in 4 levels of talent.

Elite:

Freeney

Good:

Mathis

Bethea

Average:

Brackett

Bullitt

Below average:

The rest

Thats why we play cover2, because oure corners are pretty bad, so the safeties has to be the safety net. And when some of the key players on defence gets injured, we are struggeling big time. We need depth on most positions i'm sad to say.

I wound't consider Powers below average, or Ernie Sims, or Tommie Harris, or Angerer. Try again...

i agree with you about our coach but please dont call colts fans colt haters because we talk about a position that we think needs improvement. we all want the colts to win and we like our team.

It was hard to get a read on Caldwell. I know he was in a lot of tackles tonight but I am not sure if that's because he was late getting to the guy he was supposed to cover. Also since Bethea was out they had Bullitt doing the secondary calls.

Powers is slowly becoming a shut down corner I am not sure Rodgers went his way one time tonight.

I'd also just say the Colts were also playing their base defense all night long that may or may not account for the corners being so far off. It would be interesting to see if they would have adjusted had it been a real game who knows, history says they very well might not have but sooner or later they are going to adjust. It's worth noting the Packers ran the same play they were running with Nelson in the first half and one time Thomas did come up and leveled the WR as soon as the ball was there.

Agreed about Powers, every time the ball came towards powers he was on the receiver. he really is starting to show some good stuff.

Thomas in my opinion has come on strong the last couple of games. Lacy was again, well lets say mediocre. He played too far off his man every time, short hook after short hook. Rodgers clearly seen the weakness as he went that way 3 straight times with great success. Lots of miss tackles from Lacy too, don't wanna call him the great stinker like I did Hughs last year, but he is going to get targeted (alot) come this season and thats scary. I remember seeing Rodgers smile real big right before he started hitting him hard. He knew, and even in a base defense common sense has to come into play where your playing so far off your man, your not even the first one there to tackle him( kinda a good thing with his tackling though. Whiff!!!)

You are not a Colts hater if, as a long-time(50+ years) fan of football and great teams, and you see obvious deficiencies and faults and get frustrated when they are repeated over and over. The Colts dependence on this soft non-aggressive Tampa 2 defense has prevented the Colts from having multiple SB rings during a time when they have had the greatest QB in NFL history. Freeney & Mathis must be really frustrated that they have to carry the D with little help from any blitz packages and countless missed arm tackles from the Colts secondary. The Tampa 2 as coached by Croyer & Caldwell is more like a "Prevent Defense" that only prevents the Colts from winning the "Big" games against the good QB's in the league- like Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Rivers, Vick, etc. Can anyone be a fan of Coaches that allow a 4th and 8 conversion for a 1st down that leads to a score in the 1st half? Yes its preseason, but those of us that have been around for awhile and respect the talent and effort of future Hall-of-Famers like Freeney are not fans of seeing their efforts come to naught by being misused by lame coaching philosophies and being asleep at the switch during a game (preseason or not), when you are supposed to be "in charge" of calling the shots. How did Coach "On-side" Caldwell not know an on-side kick was coming( after a successful 2-point play), when everybody(old enough to be out of diapers) in this country that was watching this game, knew the Pack was kicking it on-side? You'd think by being embarassed in the SB by the Saints doing this, any self-respecting Coach with any pride, would make sure it never happened again. As far as cutting Caldwell some slack he was 14-2 with a team that he didn't build- Dungy did, with an Offense run by Coach Moore and he got out-coached in the SB and every important game since. Since Irsay & Polian seem satisfied with mediocre coaching, I guess we'll have to put up with it- but we don't have to like it and that doesn't makes us less of a fan than someone that is willing to accept less than someone's best effort. Pre-season or not, the Pack are the defending NFL Champs and the Colts should have beaten them

I wound't consider Powers below average, or Ernie Sims, or Tommie Harris, or Angerer. Try again...

Heck even Nevis is showing he's not below average. I have a strong feeling he will be a stud in no time. I also love how this is the best defense we have fielded in quite some time and we still have people knocking it. Everyone always complains about us not being able to stop the run and it's looking like we have made significant strides to address these issues. I would like for us to move to more of a press corner system in the future, but we do not have the salary cap to address this issue this season. I'm just hoping Thomas makes some big strides for us in the upcoming weeks and starts to compete for the starting job.

You are not a Colts hater if, as a long-time(50+ years) fan of football and great teams, and you see obvious deficiencies and faults and get frustrated when they are repeated over and over. The Colts dependence on this soft non-aggressive Tampa 2 defense has prevented the Colts from having multiple SB rings during a time when they have had the greatest QB in NFL history. Freeney & Mathis must be really frustrated that they have to carry the D with little help from any blitz packages and countless missed arm tackles from the Colts secondary. The Tampa 2 as coached by Croyer & Caldwell is more like a "Prevent Defense" that only prevents the Colts from winning the "Big" games against the good QB's in the league- like Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Rivers, Vick, etc. Can anyone be a fan of Coaches that allow a 4th and 8 conversion for a 1st down that leads to a score in the 1st half? Yes its preseason, but those of us that have been around for awhile and respect the talent and effort of future Hall-of-Famers like Freeney are not fans of seeing their efforts come to naught by being misused by lame coaching philosophies and being asleep at the switch during a game (preseason or not), when you are supposed to be "in charge" of calling the shots. How did Coach "On-side" Caldwell not know an on-side kick was coming( after a successful 2-point play), when everybody(old enough to be out of diapers) in this country that was watching this game, knew the Pack was kicking it on-side? You'd think by being embarassed in the SB by the Saints doing this, any self-respecting Coach with any pride, would make sure it never happened again. As far as cutting Caldwell some slack he was 14-2 with a team that he didn't build- Dungy did, with an Offense run by Coach Moore and he got out-coached in the SB and every important game since. Since Irsay & Polian seem satisfied with mediocre coaching, I guess we'll have to put up with it- but we don't have to like it and that doesn't makes us less of a fan than someone that is willing to accept less than someone's best effort. Pre-season or not, the Pack are the defending NFL Champs and the Colts should have beaten them

:rantoff: . Welcome to the forums. It's pre-season. I'm not sweating the onside kick. It'll get worked out by the regular season. Caldwell could have still been fuming about the Vaughn incident, but it is what it is. As far as the corners are concerned I think the front office is making strides to address this as Rucker and Thomas have been brought in. I feel they have more ability and will be able to play closer to the LOS. This is not a quick fix, and we will have to suffer through the growing pains of the secondary with the team. That's one disadvantage of building your team through the draft and not free-agency.

I agree that Caldwell should have known the on-side kick was coming, and I'll also agree that Caldwell's record don't truely reflect on what kind of coach he is. In fact, many people will say Gruden don't deserve credit for Tampa's super bowl, but in the same breath say Caldwell deserves the credit for the Colts 14-2 record with a super bowl appearance, but thats in the past now and I really don't care anymore.

My biggest problem with the Colts defense is how they defend the pass, or really lack there of, I really think if the Colts could learn to play pass defense they would be a very effective defense in general. There is nothing more frustrating to me watching this team chase the QB out of the pocket just to have him throw the ball downfield and complete a pass with the CB's standing 7 yds. behind the reciever waiting for him to catch the ball before they make their break.