Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck was good again

oldunclemark

he led the psuedo game-winning drive..

Luck did have some bad throws....but they rolled him out more...today..

\He found Brown..and Allen

He ran when he needed to....always in control..

I was hoping we'd lob to Fleener near the goal line...but I have no doubt he would have if he could have...

300 yards....with a 3/4 drops

Today was very Cam-like....with his long striding runs for 1st downs

I didnt want to start a rooke QB going back to the start of the calendar year....

But i was wrong....He is as advertised....

..and his level of play rises in the 4th quarter.....shocking for a rookie

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luck played fantastic. Was just singing his praises a minute ago. He didn't look like a rookie out there.

Most importantly when a drive down the field was required I had faith and hope. Something I didn't feel at all last year haha

Nike will be hearing from me soon inquiring about a Luck jersey :)

He's so good that when he makes a bad throw (and he did have several today) I'm almost shocked.

IMHO he's already one of the top 10 QBs in the league. Top 5 by the end of the season, I'm betting.

I know everybody does the Manning and RG3 comparisons..

But for old folks like me...he plays just like a young John Elway did in

Less of an arm and a touch more footspeed....

.....and the prince (he cant be king yet) of the 4th quarter .

He's been very impressive but I think he needs to get some of his throws down, there was a screen pass he threw today that was a little bit high (I forget who it was to, maybe Avery or Hilton)

and not to beat a dead horse he was behind on some throws again. I did catch them say that Luck said Avery was the only guy on the roster who can out run his arm. All and all I think it's a very fixable issue mostly due to timing and speed of the game. The good news is Luck is getting better and better with it each week.

It's partly a familiarity and timing thing.

I mean... think about it... correct me if I'm wrong on any of these, but Luck and Fleener have played with each other but nobody else on the offense. Avery hasn't played with any of the other starters. Neither has Satele. Or Justice. Or McGlynn. Or Olsen. Or Allen. Or Hilton. Or Brazill. Or Essex. Or Ballard. I dunno, maybe one or two of those guys were on a team together sometime in the past? But who do we have from last year who has played on offense this season? Wayne, Castonzo, and Brown? That's pretty much it.

Luck is a rookie still but he has maturity beyond his years. I think he is at the point now where the coaching staff needs to put the game in his hands in the 3rd quarter. Unleash the offense and let Luck aggressively throw down the field to pursue points. Sometimes he will succeed...sometimes he won't but we should be winning or losing on his arm right now because frankly the defense and running game is not good enough yet to hide behind.

It's partly a familiarity and timing thing.

I mean... think about it... correct me if I'm wrong on any of these, but Luck and Fleener have played with each other but nobody else on the offense. Avery hasn't played with any of the other starters. Neither has Satele. Or Justice. Or McGlynn. Or Olsen. Or Allen. Or Hilton. Or Brazill. Or Essex. Or Ballard. I dunno, maybe one or two of those guys were on a team together sometime in the past? But who do we have from last year who has played on offense this season? Wayne, Castonzo, and Brown? That's pretty much it.

That's exactly it..that's why what the passing game has looked like in the first 3 games is remarkable..

What if the line gets together??

As it is...Reggie is headed for 100 catches..and that dump off screen to Brown can be potent....

the roll out game I saw today.....is going to roll up yards

another rookie who was impressing and i so loved that was TY

TY looked good today. He needs to take a few more hits to get comfortable. He still looks a little nervous when he thinks he is going to get hit. However, I have been very happy with the overall performance of all of our Rookies. This is going to be a formidable group in year 2 (when they have their confidence about them).

I understand that he's a rookie, but I'm always seeing issues with his accuracy. He doesn't seem to throw a "well placed ball". He's only going to continue to improve, but there are times when he looks way off. I see balls thrown behind receivers, I don't see him leading receivers. Am I the only one?

Also, what's the deal with the hard-snap and then having the o-line drop into their stance? This isn't high school football.

He's still gotta learn how to hit Donnie Avery in stride on the deep ball. He under threw him again today. Eventually he'll get the distance & timing down to account for Avery's speed.

Yeah, in all fairness he couldn't step into that throw though because he got smacked by a defender but it was still under thrown.

I understand that he's a rookie, but I'm always seeing issues with his accuracy. He doesn't seem to throw a "well placed ball". He's only going to continue to improve, but there are times when he looks way off. I see balls thrown behind receivers, I don't see him leading receivers. Am I the only one?

Also, what's the deal with the hard-snap and then having the o-line drop into their stance? This isn't high school football.

No you aren't but you have to realize that he is still getting used to the NFL speed on both defense and offense. Everyone is faster. The chemistry and timing will take more than a few months.

Luck is gonna make some mistakes, but that's ok, he's a rookie. I Don't know what happened today on the pick, but it wasn't good. What I did like seeing is how mad he was about it, I think Andrew is a perfectionist, just like a certain someone else was.

I can't wait till they take the training wheels off Andrew and let him loose

The INT was just an underthrown pass. He needed to throw it about 15 more yards to I think Wayne. He looked pretty good other than that. The dropped passes are killing our drives and penalties. We had over 100 yards on penalties today. That has to be fixed. I'm not worried about Luck at all. He'll continue to get better as the season goes on and IMO, he doesn't even play like a rookie. He plays like a veteran. He's led this offense down the field twice the last 2 weeks at the end of the game, giving us a chance to win. I really like that about him already, and he's only a rookie.

He's been very impressive but I think he needs to get some of his throws down, there was a screen pass he threw today that was a little bit high (I forget who it was to, maybe Avery or Hilton)

Luck is throwing a little bit behind his receivers a LOT. It is a problem. That will get better of course with experience. And they will become better route runners, and when they do... ;- )

He needs to improve his arm strength 5% or more and he will.

This was a big loss today to a lousy team that I hope we Draft ahead of. Baby steps. We NEED many more Top Quality New players through the draft.

Luck is throwing a little bit behind his receivers a LOT. It is a problem. That will get better of course with experience. And they will become better route runners, and when they do... ;- )

He needs to improve his arm strength 5% or more and he will.

This was a big loss today to a lousy team that I hope we Draft ahead of. Baby steps. We NEED many more Top Quality New players through the draft.

He is doing great for a rookie and will get better... But, in addition to often under throwing the deep ball... He also frequently doesn't lead/throws a bit behind his receivers on other routes as well; especially crossing routes.

not getting penalties that puts the offense in 1st and 20 in their own territory would help out

that's the real deal....BT..

we're up 14-3..inthe third quarter and Brown runs for a 1st down...its called back and its 2nd and 20...

..we punt and they rally....

all QBs make a lot of mistakes EVERY Sunday...and you can pick them apart...

But we had that game and we gave it away.

When you are up double digits in the second half (and ahead in the final minute kickoing off) at home and you lose...you did a lot of it to yourself..

He looked pretty good yesterday. At times he looked like he was still playing for Stanford. He is in control. His throws will get better as he gets used to the receives. He's not used to their speed, you know? He got noticeably better every year in college, and I think you'll see that. And I'm so happy he has Reggie Wayne. Oh my god, he looks good.

Yeah this week would be a good time to take a few days during the bye-week to get that timing. They said on tv that's Donnie can out run Luck's arm.

They've never played together before 8 weeks ago..

None of our offense has....an early bye week is good..I just wish we didnt come off it against Green bay

I would like to see him go a stretch, 3 games or so, with no turnovers. If they don't turn the ball over, this team can be competitive. If they do turn the ball over, they simply don't have the talent to overcome it.

On the other side of the ball they need to get him some more turnovers and get him a short field. This is a problem that has plagued the defense for a while. We went something like a month and half last year without getting a single turnover. We need some more play makers on defense.

On the other side of the ball they need to get him some more turnovers and get him a short field. This is a problem that has plagued the defense for a while. We went something like a month and half last year without getting a single turnover. We need some more play makers on defense.

No doubt about it. Hopefully, this turns into a complete team at some point.

You know, anything, a turnover, big special teams play, etc., would have been the difference in yesterday's game.

Some good signs (some fantastics signs at times), but far from perfect. He threw at least 3 very bad balls that should have been intercepted, one that was, and a few poor throws as well. He's doing exceptionally well in the 2 minute drills, but he has a fear of 3rd quarters.

I'm happy with his progress to date. His development from year 1 to 2 will decide if he can become elite. I say he can, but can we give him the supporting cast?

No progress as of yet, IMO. Luck is still inconsistant and average looking.

Really? You honestly don't think he's progressed at all and looks average? Maybe I'm just a fish about to take a bite on the hook but still....

Let's tackle these one by one then, progress first. To be fair you say that the above is your opinion and your entitled to it but you don't back it up much. IMO he's progressed week on week (and I include pre-season in this). Given our well documented and discussed team building strategy of years past he doesn't have the greatest cast around him and I for one am really enjoying watching the slow maturing of someone who I think is going to be a great. But I can't bemoan you not backing up opinion and commit the very same offence myself can I? (Well I could but I'm not a politician). If you look at his game by game stats:

http://nfl.com/player/andrewluck/2533031/profile

The first thing that stands out I'd say is the defences he's played have all been of a similar level talent wise, not great, but not shocking. This should give us a solid base for comparison, and of course the first thing that jumps out is the picks. Those 3 in the first game can all be attributed I'd say to a rookie making rookie decisions and suffering the consequences. But what I like is he seems to be learning from very mistake which you could argue is reflected in only the pick in the next two games (small sample size granted). His rating has improved since that first game too and I'd even argue that his low completion percentage in the 3rd was more down to people having a case of the dropsies then his actual accuracy in a few cases, other times, well a rookie making rookie throws. Maybe I've not used these stats very wisely given my inexperience with the game but hand on heart do you really think he's made NO progress?

Onto inconsistency then, and I'd say fair point. But quantify it a little, again he's a rookie, he will be inconsistent while he learns to play with big boys. It doesn't help when you don't have any anchors around you to hold onto like oo I dunno, a solid O line? A solid running game? A solid defence? Consistency is built through familiarity and repetition, it will come. Though I could argue he's been a very consistent performer in the 2 minute drills.

As for average looking?! Subjectively the majority of analysts as describing him as showing exactly why he was so lauded pre draft, in fact if it wasn't for us being 1-2, or RG3 also having a super start his performances as a rookie would be making even bigger news. If you want to look at something a bit more black and white, look at at some of the QB numbers across the league, in a fair few catorgeries he's 16th or better, does this not make him better than "average" when compared to his peers? If he carries on at the rate he's started at, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure he's on line to break the rookie passing records at the least? Is that a "average" player?

Sorry I may not have made my points well, nor maybe supplied good evidence but I hope it gives you a insight in why I don't agree with your flat statement.