Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Signed Jean-Baptiste to practice squad (merge)

Mr.Debonair

You're kidding right? You watch the minn game? He was the guy swallowing up double teams and putting the halt on their run. I noticed him big time, how can you miss the hair?

No I am not kidding. I barely noticed him. It seems like you are the only one who noticed him. Everyone is talking about Powers, Bethea, Redding, and Freeman. You're the first one I've talked to that seems to like Tevaseu's performance.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I am not kidding. I barely noticed him. It seems like you are the only one who noticed him. Everyone is talking about Powers, Bethea, Redding, and Freeman. You're the first one I've talked to that seems to like Tevaseu's performance.

I noticed Tevaseu but not for his good play. I know he hasn't been with the team long but I see why he's been a backup. He hasn't, as yet, been getting much push and rather seems to be getting pushed back (even when left 1 on 1) more often than not. The guys holding the middle and stopping the run have been AJ, Redding and Moala. Hopefully Tevaseu can improve but so far not really impressed, though he was brought in strictly for depth so I'm not expecting him to be a pro-bowler or anything.

What I saw was him doing his job. Taking up double teams so the lbers could make plays. Welcome to the 3-4

Every year I seem to follow the Colts more and more closely. I've been a fan for close to 20 years and maybe I just haven't been following closely enough but are the colts under Grigson's management doing more trading and signing than in the past 10 years combined. Don't get me wrong, I dig the non-stop effort to try to make the team better and love the direction we're going and like the the signing of jean-batiste.

We always made these kind of low level moves, but it does seem like the waters are churning a little bit more here this season.

I'm glad that you pointed out you speak for everyone on here. He is a back up, he did very well coming in and cloggin up lanes. I'm sorry I'm the only one who noticed it. Maybe I should focus on mo of the names instead of the guys up front.

Is this targeted to me? If so, I wasn't speaking for everyone. Just from the feedback I've gotten on the Vikings/Colts game threads... Sorry for being the only one who noticed it? Don't be.

Is this targeted to me? If so, I wasn't speaking for everyone. Just from the feedback I've gotten on the Vikings/Colts game threads... Sorry for being the only one who noticed it? Don't be.

Well, watch him against jax when he goes in. Unless you like to rewatch games, then you'll notice him in the minn game. I don't really care if you or anyone else didn't notice him. Not trying to have a ticking match with you since you think him unworthy of praise.

Well, watch him against jax when he goes in. Unless you like to rewatch games, then you'll notice him in the minn game. I don't really care if you or anyone else didn't notice him. Not trying to have a ticking match with you since you think him unworthy of praise.

Oh god. Sorry if I rubbed you the wrong way. I haven't really noticed him that's all. I'll make sure to look for him in the Jax game.

Oh god. Sorry if I rubbed you the wrong way. I haven't really noticed him that's all. I'll make sure to look for him in the Jax game.

It's cool, my bad. I noticed him cause of the hair at first, then noticed we were starting to shut their run down. Not saying he is some stud. Just he was taking up double teams better than I have seen mookie. I actually think they started putting him in on running downs. He was letting our backers run free. Redding and freeman was beating up as well. D is starting to show some promise.

You're kidding right? You watch the minn game? He was the guy swallowing up double teams and putting the halt on their run. I noticed him big time, how can you miss the hair?

If you are not watching closely, you can mistake him for Moala. To be honest I didn't even know Tevaseu played at all. I probably kept assuming it was Moala.

I thought he did a pretty good job against the vikes, remember one play he made on his own at the line of scrimmage. Looks like a servicable back up, held his ground against the double teams .Still young and learning. looks like one of those guys thats not overly talented but, plenty of effort.

Didn't I tell you from the Owner all the way down to the players, this team is trying to win now. They don't see this as some experimental year. They are doing whatever it takes to make this team stout now. Piece by piece.

Slow your roll playa.

We make these moves weekly, bringing them in for a week or two for a tryout and then signing someone else. If he gets signed to an active roster contract, then you might have something to get excited about.

Slow your roll playa.

We make these moves weekly, bringing them in for a week or two for a tryout and then signing someone else. If he gets signed to an active roster contract, then you might have something to get excited about.

You might need to read through the threads a little further. Already clarified what I meant

Didn't I tell you from the Owner all the way down to the players, this team is trying to win now. They don't see this as some experimental year. They are doing whatever it takes to make this team stout now. Piece by piece.

Now If they could just somehow find a way to get Jake Scott in here I would really be happy.

Every year I seem to follow the Colts more and more closely. I've been a fan for close to 20 years and maybe I just haven't been following closely enough but are the colts under Grigson's management doing more trading and signing than in the past 10 years combined. Don't get me wrong, I dig the non-stop effort to try to make the team better and love the direction we're going and like the the signing of jean-batiste.

A reminder perhaps. We have been getting 1st pick at any waived player in the league. That ends soon.

I'm glad that you pointed out you speak for everyone on here. He is a back up, he did very well coming in and cloggin up lanes. I'm sorry I'm the only one who noticed it. Maybe I should focus on mo of the names instead of the guys up front.

You're not the only one that noticed Tevaseu. I paid attention to him to when he was in the game. He done a pretty good job IMO and holds up better than A.J. does.

You're not the only one that noticed Tevaseu. I paid attention to him to when he was in the game. He done a pretty good job IMO and holds up better than A.J. does.

yeah i thought the same as well. was a small sample but im excited to see if he can improve on it.

I know these stats don't define a great football player, but NJB ran a 5.4 40 and put up 17 reps of 225 at the combine. That's pretty darn slow for an NFL player of any position and pretty darn weak for a guy of his size. Low 5/high 4's and mid-30's would make me much more excited about his potential. Maybe he really is just a practice squad kind of guy.....

I mean %, as a 175 lb safety I put up 225 13 times my senior year of high school.......not trying to brag, just putting a perspective on the matter. Hopefully this guy contributes.

I noticed when Tevaseu was in the game in the second half. On those plays he looked great and the middle was clogged. I'm sure there were many other plays that he was in where I didn't notice he was. He so effectively clogged the middle on one particular play that I started to wonder how much he'd been in that I'd missed.....because the run D was noticeably improved in the second half. Of course, Minny wasn't able to commit to the run once behind.

We always made these kind of low level moves, but it does seem like the waters are churning a little bit more here this season.

I'm fascinated by every move Grigson makes, because the rebuilding is such an interesting process to me. However, to your point, as well as to any that are searching for significance in some P squad moves - the only real point here is that Grigson is treating talent discovery like the numbers game that it is. He is treating the P squad more like a first hand talent combine than purely a placeholder to develop players that he thinks he sees something in. When only 1% are diamonds, he sees value in turning over more stones. I'd be very surprised if he rotates the tail end of the roster with as much frequency as this once we have a more established winning motion - so there can be no comparison to this regime and previous. Expecting the moves of a rebuilding GM and a GM overseeing the greatest winning decade in NFL history to look much alike is to not understand the nature of the beast.

I'm fascinated by every move Grigson makes, because the rebuilding is such an interesting process to me. However, to your point, as well as to any that are searching for significance in some P squad moves - the only real point here is that Grigson is treating talent discovery like the numbers game that it is. He is treating the P squad more like a first hand talent combine than purely a placeholder to develop players that he thinks he sees something in. When only 1% are diamonds, he sees value in turning over more stones. I'd be very surprised if he rotates the tail end of the roster with as much frequency as this once we have a more established winning motion - so there can be no comparison to this regime and previous. Expecting the moves of a rebuilding GM and a GM overseeing the greatest winning decade in NFL history to look much alike is to not understand the nature of the beast.

Agreed.

It would be awesome if the NFL would loosen the IR rules and expand the practice squad. More jobs for players, and more talent evaluation for teams.

Agreed.

It would be awesome if the NFL would loosen the IR rules and expand the practice squad. More jobs for players, and more talent evaluation for teams.

They took a small step towards that with the expanded 90 man roster. More opportunities for players to showcase their talents to different teams.

Agreed.

I imagine GM's would love the flexibility. I suppose that the limitations serve a purpose, though, in forcing teams to make a decision about right fit - which really helps some developmental players get a better shot where they do fit.

I imagine GM's would love the flexibility. I suppose that the limitations serve a purpose, though, in forcing teams to make a decision about right fit - which really helps some developmental players get a better shot where they do fit.

More than 700 players were on final cut day. A lot of those guys are sitting at home right now, right fit or not, and many of them have the talent to play. Like NJB.

If you relaxed the IR rules, keeping in place some common sense restrictions to keep teams from taking advantage of it, then it would probably create spots for two or three players per team. That's close to 100 players earning salaries on various contracts. Let's say it's 8 weeks worth of salaries for 100 players at rookie minimum, that's $18 million in pay checks for players that are sitting on their couches right now.

Expand the practice squad to 12 players from 8, that creates spots for another 128 players. That's an extra $12 million in pay checks for practice squad players. And the practice squad salary increases every year.

So we're talking about $30 million in extra money per year for players. I would think the NFLPA would be pushing these kind of expansions, rather than short term roster spots in the preseason.

I know these stats don't define a great football player, but NJB ran a 5.4 40 and put up 17 reps of 225 at the combine. That's pretty darn slow for an NFL player of any position and pretty darn weak for a guy of his size. Low 5/high 4's and mid-30's would make me much more excited about his potential. Maybe he really is just a practice squad kind of guy.....

I mean %, as a 175 lb safety I put up 225 13 times my senior year of high school.......not trying to brag, just putting a perspective on the matter. Hopefully this guy contributes.

Considering the combine was several months after the college season ended, maybe he just came into it very out of shape. That is not a good excuse, but it's possible that with the right coaching and conditioning coach he could get to NFL shape. It's definitely going to take some work and it will be a project, but considering the ability to play he showed at college, it could be worth it. It's a low risk/high reward situation.

On a side note, didn't know it was only 225 lbs, for a guy over 300 lbs who plays football, that is pretty sad.

Considering the combine was several months after the college season ended, maybe he just came into it very out of shape. That is not a good excuse, but it's possible that with the right coaching and conditioning coach he could get to NFL shape. It's definitely going to take some work and it will be a project, but considering the ability to play he showed at college, it could be worth it. It's a low risk/high reward situation.

On a side note, didn't know it was only 225 lbs, for a guy over 300 lbs who plays football, that is pretty sad.

Some people have natural over powering strength or what is referred to as being "country strong". He might be weak in the bench press as far as strength is concerned, but I'm sure the guy that is standing across from him trying to block him will not say he is weak by any stretch of the imagination. Some people can not be judged by weight lifting. With that being said, under normal circumstances yes his bench press is weak for a guy his size.

More than 700 players were on final cut day. A lot of those guys are sitting at home right now, right fit or not, and many of them have the talent to play. Like NJB.

If you relaxed the IR rules, keeping in place some common sense restrictions to keep teams from taking advantage of it, then it would probably create spots for two or three players per team. That's close to 100 players earning salaries on various contracts. Let's say it's 8 weeks worth of salaries for 100 players at rookie minimum, that's $18 million in pay checks for players that are sitting on their couches right now.

Expand the practice squad to 12 players from 8, that creates spots for another 128 players. That's an extra $12 million in pay checks for practice squad players. And the practice squad salary increases every year.

So we're talking about $30 million in extra money per year for players. I would think the NFLPA would be pushing these kind of expansions, rather than short term roster spots in the preseason.

Supe...

I'm assuming you did the math with the practice squad salary which my understanding is $5700 per week x 17 weeks... roughly $100k per year.

As opposed to the regular base rookie salary which is what, $390k per year?

Just asking... I didn't try to crunch your numbers....