Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

what top 5 offenseve lineman could we pick up in draft next year

hambone35

Luke Joeckel and Jake Matthews (Texas A&M) and Taylor Lewan (Michigan) are the best tackles in the draft, then Chance Warmack and Barrett Jones (Bama) are the best interior linemen - Jones can line up anywhere on the line. Bama also have DJ Fluker at tackle.

Luke Joeckel and Jake Matthews (Texas A&M) and Taylor Lewan (Michigan) are the best tackles in the draft, then Chance Warmack and Barrett Jones (Bama) are the best interior linemen - Jones can line up anywhere on the line. Bama also have DJ Fluker at tackle.

Kinda off-topic but Jake Matthews is the younger cousin of Clay and Casey Matthews. That's a solid football family, Jake is gonna be a first-rounder for sure next year.

While I wouldn't complain if we draft an o-lineman I'd much rather go the free agent market if we can. First of all with a free agent you know what you are getting where as the draft is a gamble. Second, as we have seen with Castonzo it takes some time for rookies to develop. Even if we get the best o-lineman in the draft next year they are going to need time to grow and they will probably struggle some at the start which isn't going to help protect Luck. Maybe we split it sign a vet who can come in and make an impact right away and draft another young kid to grow on the line. That wouldn't be so bad. I would say though we need to find at least two o-linemen in the off-season.

I'm torn between Barret Jones and Chance Warmack. Jones is a versatile guy, that can play OG, C and OT but Warmack is probably the best best Guard in this years class. If the colts end up with a top5, top 7 pick I would trade down draft Jones or Warmack draft the best OT available in the second round and would sign at least 1 or 2 good veterans!

I wouldn't mind one of the top WR's or a CB. We can always get FA O-lineman that won't take 2 years to develop, if at all. Id rather go with a known quantity when it comes to protecting our bread and butter.

Why not do both and fill two holes in the O-line, that way we don't have to worry about it in the future?

We get Jake Long, Jermon Bushrod, Ryan Clady, Andre Smith or Duane Brown in FA (hopefully one is available) and than we draft Warmack. Easy. That would be the dream scenario, we could shift Castonzo to the right, put one of those studs on the left, put Warmack at OG, Keep Satele at C, and put Reitz at the other OG spot.

I wouldn't mind one of the top WR's or a CB. We can always get FA O-lineman that won't take 2 years to develop, if at all. Id rather go with a known quantity when it comes to protecting our bread and butter.

Agree. Think FA should be spent on both lines as much as possible with draft touching an ILB as well as more help in the trenches for the long haul.

It's way too early to know who will be available in the draft. There will be 3rd and 4th year juniors that will want to come out, some will... but some might not for a variety of reasons.

So, we won't know until Mid-January. That's the declaration time frame.

But as we've seen for two games, we need some serious quality OL help to keep Andrew Alive!!