Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

a real shame

CR91

Bob help change the culture of the DEF in INDY...it would be nice to see the team get back to that. Looks like with the GM and coaching philosophy here now the team seems to be heading in that direction. Balance will be the key but i'm excited to see a DEF that has some swag to it again. When Bob came in the secondary just seem'd to tackle better and lay huge hits on people. I'd like to see that kind of energy from the D-Line, LB's, Corners & Safeties

The best safety in today's NFL when healthy. It wouldn't be a stretch to call him one of (if not the) best player in the NFL when healthy. People talk about a guy putting on a big hit once in a game, but Bob would literally do that on almost every play. He only knows how to play 1 speed. It's unfortunate that he is so injury prone because I think he could have been a HOFer and one of the best players of all time if he had remained healthy. But he did win a DPOY and a SB ring. I still think he should try to sign with a team to make a championship run. Denver perhaps? Or maybe Green Bay? It would hurt to see him in anything but Colts blue (and it really hurt to see him in Chargers blue), but it would be great to see him win another ring and stay healthy. But if he does decide to retire from playing, I'd like to see him coaching for us. Bring him in as a DB coach

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sqz7Am-9wmk

ahhhhh i miss this dude a lot.... he played with such a passion, he was our run defense.

im not saying we should but i wouldnt mind if we gave him a little contract with low money just to rotate in and out with zbikowski. i mean obviously im dreaaaming here but i like the thought with davis, powers, johnson, and vaughn/king/gordy at cornerback, and bethea and sanders/zbikowski at safety. oh wellll. its a real shame he couldnt stay healthy.

Bob was my favorite Colts defender ever, slightly ahead of Freeney.

Without Bob we never would have won the Super Bowl.

Bob was my favorite too. I know this is 'Bob' thread but I think we should also mention that Rob Morris finally replaced Gilbert Gardner about the same time as Bob's return. Morris played great during the SB run as well.

You can't teach what Bob brought to the game. He was born to do one thing on the football field: destroy the ballcarrier. Not tackle, DESTROY!

You can't teach that to anyone. They either have it or they don't.

He was the heart and soul of our defense when he wad on the field. You can't easily replace guys like that. I wish he could hang out with our crew and at least play some. I really miss seeing him on the field. I wish him nothing but the best.

Thanks, Bob!!

Bob was my favorite too. I know this is 'Bob' thread but I think we should also mention that Rob Morris finally replaced Gilbert Gardner about the same time as Bob's return. Morris played great during the SB run as well.

If i remember correctly, Gardner was replaced a few weeks prior? He seemed lost out there. Yeah, Morris played real well. Big improvement!

The best safety in today's NFL when healthy. It wouldn't be a stretch to call him one of (if not the) best player in the NFL when healthy. People talk about a guy putting on a big hit once in a game, but Bob would literally do that on almost every play. He only knows how to play 1 speed. It's unfortunate that he is so injury prone because I think he could have been a HOFer and one of the best players of all time if he had remained healthy. But he did win a DPOY and a SB ring. I'd like to see him coaching for us. Bring him in as a DB coach

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sqz7Am-9wmk

For my money, Ed Reed is the best safety in the NFL today. Bob's #2. "The human missile" hit every ball carrier with precision and he dislodged a number of pigskins on the field. Sanders will definitely be inducted into the Colts Ring Of Honor eventually. I don't see him coaching though. The hours are too long and the commitment is too great for most former NFL athletes. No guarantee that he will be good at teaching other players either. Having an exceptional skill and passing that skill on is extremely rare IMO. Would I give Bob a shot at coaching? Absolutely. Do I assume greatness in this new role? Not usually, but there are always exceptions to the rule I suppose.

For my money, Ed Reed is the best safety in the NFL today. Bob's #2. "The human missile" hit every ball carrier with precision and he dislodged a number of pigskins on the field. Sanders will definitely be inducted into the Colts Ring Of Honor eventually. I don't see him coaching though. The hours are too long and the commitment is too great for most former NFL athletes. No guarantee that he will be good at teaching other players either. Having an exceptional skill and passing that skill on is extremely rare IMO. Would I give Bob a shot at coaching? Absolutely. Do I assume greatness in this new role? Not usually, but there are always exceptions to the rule I suppose.

Well said. It is somewhat uncommon for great players to become great coaches because many of the things that make them great are intrinsic, be they talent, intelligence, instincts, etc. and those are things you can't teach.