Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will vontae resign

Playoffs2013

Shouldn't we offer some sort of contract extension

I am sure the Colts staff has high expectations for him. But, they are just that, expectations.

We have a two year rental with which to try him out for very little money. I'd say, if he has a good season this year, the Colts will likely look to lock him up over the final year of his deal.

But as it is, there is no reason to work towards locking him up now. We have two cheap years, and then there is always the franchise tag for later if an agreement becomes difficult.

I do hope that it winds up being that we sign him to a good sized 5 year deal, as that would mean the trade worked out to our benefit. But there is plenty of time to wait for that to happen.

With 2 years left will he resign or will he leave

We just used a 2nd round pick on him basically and all of this will be a waste if he decides he doesn't like Indy or the colts

What does your Magic 8-Ball say?

He's been a Colt for about 72 hours at this point and hasnt even played a game yet.....

There is no real rush to sign him and I doubt he's really interested in signing an extension at this point.

Let's see if he lives up to the hype and stays out of trouble before we worry about this. They'll have lots of $$$ next off-season if they decide to do it then.

I always get flustered when I see "resign" when it is meant to be "re-sign"... BIG difference! Was worried something happened last night I didn't know about!

216162_3677827019556_767663814_n.jpg

NOTE: This is meant to be all in FUN. Everyone knows, Gramz here is forever correcting grammar.. ;)

We just used a 2nd round pick on him basically and all of this will be a waste if he decides he doesn't like Indy or the colts

Can the man at least put his jersey on 1st before we talk about re-signing him?

Certainly the hope is by next offseason or mid next season we resign him. Otherwise this trade sucks.

and please read and dont kill me, Im not saying grigs sucks for this trade or that Davis sucks, im just saying 2 years for a 2nd rounder is not worth it. But i guess Pagano/Grigss really believe they will extend him.

Can the man at least put his jersey on 1st before we talk about re-signing him?

No we cant. when you trade such a high pick is because you really like him, you want him to be a starter, or is missing piece to a sb (but we aint going to the SB everyone can agree that ;) ). you dont mortgage a future building brick, one of your probable foundations of the future for a 2 year player. if they did this I really believe they intent to extend his contract.

I think we should first let him play out his two years and see how he does. There is no point offering him a contract if he does poorly in the system or his work ethic tanks, a la Tony Ugoh.

ITA sounds like the best plan in my opinion. :thmup: check out the iffy work ethic and see if it improves with a new team.

He is still on his rookie contract correct?

Like the other posters have said lets see how the year pans out first before giving him the world.

I'm sure that when Irsay tweeted about having his checkbook open he was saying he'd be willing to re-sign him, but again lets not put the cart before the horse

Not before we see how he plays for the year, should probably wait till the beginning of his last year.

Like with any team a head aseis nver good forteam unity. In the case of the Colts because of their taskto form up as a team the addition of a troubled soul is magnified. I just read the first thing he said when notified he was traded to the Colts was he had to call his grandma.......what? A grown man calls his granny??!!

This may prove to be a case of wanting too much too soon meaning yes he is a ggod player but a what price while the Colts try to "build the monster" so to speak. I personnally never could stomach these players that see themselves as special like at Terrell Owens.Well, let's hope for the best but I wish this move was never made.

Certainly the hope is by next offseason or mid next season we resign him. Otherwise this trade sucks.

and please read and dont kill me, Im not saying grigs sucks for this trade or that Davis sucks, im just saying 2 years for a 2nd rounder is not worth it. But i guess Pagano/Grigss really believe they will extend him.

Most often, you trade for a player that wants to be re-signed but is being difficult about it. In this case, we are trading for a potential top caliber CB with just a 2. Further, the guy is 24, so there is plenty of time left to get value out of that 2. As it is, it is highly unlikely we find a player of his caliber for less than a high 1 in the draft.

Now, that is not to say he will pan out just as expected, but his skill set is the type that is generally only found in the top of the draft.

216162_3677827019556_767663814_n.jpg

NOTE: This is meant to be all in FUN. Everyone knows, Gramz here is forever correcting grammar.. ;)

Gramz.... I don't mean to be a Grammar Nazi myself, after all, my own grammar leaves something to be desired...

But, I'll say this...

If you focused only on being a Grammar Nazi for this website, you'd be on here busy as can be 24/7/365!

There, their, they're.....! :omg::thmup:

Oh..... and as to signing, or re-signing Davis soon.... I'm guessing we'll want to do so in the off-season when he's got one year left on his original deal. That's when most teams do this. They keep the current last year in place, put a big signing bonus up front so the player is getting lots more money right away, and then spread out the rest over the new length of the contract as the two sides agree to.

So, look for it in the winter/spring.... that's my guess....

And if things went sideways -- for whatever reason -- he's got another year, and if we needed to, we could put the Franchise Tag on him, multiple times even, if need be.

We're good with him, I think. I think he's going to like the culture of the team.