Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So I bought Madden 13 last night/this morning...

FightLikeSin

It's pretty awesome. As usual...it's pretty buggy right now. When I first took the field with the Colts, I had Zbikowski and Vaughn in the offensive huddle...they disappeared when the play started...but I believe Sept 11th is the first update for the game so hopefully some of it gets worked out.

The presentation and feel of this game is unlike any Madden i've played before, in a good way.

Granted I've only got about 30 minutes of gametime under my belt, the one thing that I didn't like was you can't manage your own roster (for franchise play) in this game. So it's preventing you from making ridiculous trades like Aaron Rodgers for Phillip Wheeler (what am I talking about? What a deal!!!). So the bad part about that is EA hasn't added Vontae Davis to the Colts roster yet and trading for him ain't cheap so I'm probably going to hold off on my coaches connected career until Friday which I believe is the next roster update.

Anyone else have it yet? I got mine at Best Buy and they were price matching Toy's R' Us at $45!

I was going to to get it at midnight release also. Me and my friend was going to get it together but he bluffed me out and did not pick up his phone. So I decided I'll just study some more and pick it up from gamestop when the store opens. This will be the first Madden I have bought in 3 years. I have been protesting Madden but when I played the demo, I felt that my wants may have been answered.

I was going to to get it at midnight release also. Me and my friend was going to get it together but he bluffed me out and did not pick up his phone. So I decided I'll just study some more and pick it up from gamestop when the store opens. This will be the first Madden I have bought in 3 years. I have been protesting Madden but when I played the demo, I felt that my wants may have been answered.

Ya, im in the same boat. The last few years I haven't bought it cuz I was tired of it not getting any better and just got my football gameplay in from NCAA football. But I had already decided this year I was going to buy it to use the new look Colts if nothing else. But I played the demo and really liked it, it seems really fast, but I think that's a good thing, players always talk about how "fast" the NFL is compared to college.

I haven't got the full version yet, I took a look around at the best pre-order deals and decided Amazon was the best choice for me, tho the downfall is I have to wait a couple days to get it in instead of instant access. They had other great benefits tho.

Is Vontae Davis on the Colts or still on Dolphins?

I am going to buy the game later today and curious to see how Connected Careers works.

So the bad part about that is EA hasn't added Vontae Davis to the Colts roster yet and trading for him ain't cheap so I'm probably going to hold off on my coaches connected career until Friday which I believe is the next roster update.

It's pretty awesome. As usual...it's pretty buggy right now. When I first took the field with the Colts, I had Zbikowski and Vaughn in the offensive huddle...they disappeared when the play started...but I believe Sept 11th is the first update for the game so hopefully some of it gets worked out.

The presentation and feel of this game is unlike any Madden i've played before, in a good way.

Granted I've only got about 30 minutes of gametime under my belt, the one thing that I didn't like was you can't manage your own roster (for franchise play) in this game. So it's preventing you from making ridiculous trades like Aaron Rodgers for Phillip Wheeler (what am I talking about? What a deal!!!). So the bad part about that is EA hasn't added Vontae Davis to the Colts roster yet and trading for him ain't cheap so I'm probably going to hold off on my coaches connected career until Friday which I believe is the next roster update.

Anyone else have it yet? I got mine at Best Buy and they were price matching Toy's R' Us at $45!

Someone in another thread said he got it at midnight, popped it in, it told him he needed a roster update and then he had Davis on the Colts after that. :dunno:

I'm still waiting on UPS. I ordered from Amazon so I could get the Luck card that lets you raise him to 99 and $15 credit.

Got it after work. It is horrible.

I'll be writing a complaint to EA after this post.

Graphics are trash. Every player looks fat. Seems to be on turbo mode. People comically fall over themselves over and over like some Benny Hill sketch.

It doesn't have franchise mode or fantasy draft which is possibly the greatest shame of all time.

Only good thing about it was display. The score tracker, the lineup display etc.

Commentator comments were garbage. 1st down complete a short pass "well it wasnt a first down"

I'm mortified that I paid $ for this.

Graphics are trash. Every player looks fat. Seems to be on turbo mode. People comically fall over themselves over and over like some Benny Hill sketch.

It doesn't have franchise mode or fantasy draft which is possibly the greatest shame of all time.

Only good thing about it was display. The score tracker, the lineup display etc.

Commentator comments were garbage. 1st down complete a short pass "well it wasnt a first down"

lmao .. exactly why I haven't bought Madden in 10 years. Now your out $60 and will get reamed on trade in. Always rent a game before buying it. Better to spend $2 at Redbox then to burn $60 on a craptastical game that EA is known to do a lot of lately. I wish EA would lose the NFL exclusive contract.

Franchise is under connected careers. Play as a "coach" and its your typical franchise mode.

lmao .. exactly why I haven't bought Madden in 10 years. Now your out $60 and will get reamed on trade in. Always rent a game before buying it. Better to spend $2 at Redbox then to burn $60 on a craptastical game that EA is known to do a lot of lately. I wish EA would lose the NFL exclusive contract.

Keep wishing. Last I heard EA renewed its exclusive rights to the NFL till 2017.......

I know. Just wish the NFL would wake up!

Geez yeah, hope my earlier comment didn't sound condescending or anything, it just seems like no matter what the NFL and EA want to pair up.

Which for EA makes sense, but why would the NFL limit themselves so much? They could make much more money if they allowed multiple game companies to make quality games. Lack of competition is why Madden never changes. IMO

Geez yeah, hope my earlier comment didn't sound condescending or anything, it just seems like no matter what the NFL and EA want to pair up.

Which for EA makes sense, but why would the NFL limit themselves so much? They could make much more money if they allowed multiple game companies to make quality games. Lack of competition is why Madden never changes. IMO

Exactly. No other game company has big enough pants to go against EA. Majority of their games are crappy unfinished glitchy money stealers. They use to make great games but then as they grew bigger they became what most big companies become. Egotistical money hogging turds!! I do believe the NFL should have atleast 2 or 3 game developers max. Anymore than that and you'll have a shelf full of mostly failed attempts. Let 2K back in the loop. They made a awesome football game back in the day. Let Rockstar or Activision take a shot at it. We all know they make terrific games.

Just got it this afternoon. Currently playing an imported custom face undrafted pocket-passing QB in "Create a Superstar" mode for Indy. I guess it should be no surprise my guy isn't getting any playing time (and 3rd strings apparently don't get preseason action either), so I'm basically stuck doing practice mode over and over to get more experience to surpass Drew Stanton's 2nd string status. Problem is it's very hard to level up in Madden 13 (unlike NCAA 12). Even when you do, you only level up 1 pt at a time, even if an attribute is very low.

I found it funny in preseason, Vinny was punting and McAfee was kicking FG's :D.

Anyways, if you play Superstar mode, do yourself a favor and at least say you're a late draft pick. Saying you're an undrafted pick isn't much fun.

I also find it odd you can pick which team drafts you, but I suppose there's advantage and disadvantages to this.

I like their voices, but I did notice they made an error in my game too, only it was the exact opposite of what happened to you... I picked up a conversion on a 3rd down via a pass play, but they said I didn't convert when in fact, I did, lol.

Someone in another thread said he got it at midnight, popped it in, it told him he needed a roster update and then he had Davis on the Colts after that. :dunno:

I'm still waiting on UPS. I ordered from Amazon so I could get the Luck card that lets you raise him to 99 and $15 credit.

I got it at midnight yesterday morning, popped it in and updated the roster. Vontae is still on the Phins. Another roster update yesterday...still on the Phins. I did however just use exhibition to trade and play with Davis. I got a pick 6 with him on Sanchez' first pass. I took a picture of Davis making the INT and welcomed him to the Colts via Twitter. If you want to see it, he's currently using my picture as his Twitter Avatar :) Cool guy. Gave me a retweet which lead to a lot of Phins' fans telling me we were getting a shutdown corner and that Jeff Ireland is stupid for trading him lol

The roster update is why I always wait to buy it. At 50 yrs old I'm not a big gamer, but I do like madden. I've learned to have patience.

I can understand that, but after the release, they usually release new updates every Friday. I can keep myself entertained with Madden Ultimate Team until the final rosters come out to start my franchise.

So far I'm pretty happy with Madden 13. The graphics really aren't "trash"...It's just not a game that focuses on graphics...That's fine to me. The gameplay and the physics during play are pretty good and fairly realistic now. I LOVE the ability to throw the "touch" pass now. I've broken every passing record with Andrew Luck (Season and Game anyway) in Career mode.

The physics after the play are a little off, but I find them hilarious and I enjoy cracking up watching the players fall all over themselves for 2 seconds before I pick my next play. I DON'T like that you can't edit a roster, then play with it in Career mode. I get why they did that, because it would make the exp gaining kinda pointless if you could just make players as good as you wanted, but I think they should have left it in anyway. Minor annoyance, but not a deal breaker for me.

The commentary...ehh....Phil Simms is annoying constantly informing me that I didn't get a first down, but I learned to tune out the commentary years ago...Plus, I usually can't hear it cuz I'm in an Xbox party with the person I'm playing against.

At any rate, this is the best Madden since 10, and is astronomically better than 12.

You say this:

The physics after the play are a little off, but I find them hilarious and I enjoy cracking up watching the players fall all over themselves for 2 seconds before I pick my next play.

And follow it up with this:

At any rate, this is the best Madden since 10, and is astronomically better than 12.

Sorry, but there is this thing called tackling in football. If a video game can't get that right, they did something wrong. While the animations may be stale in 12, they're not buggy as they are in 13.

In one run play (10-15 minutes into to starting to play the game for the first time), my running back ran into the back of a blocker, and fell down. On the next play, he did about the same thing.

This is the first time in 5-8 years that I have been disappointed. This new product is buggy, and many of the new additions they've made over the years have been completely stripped out. They should have given development on this new version another year, IMO.

Exactly. No other game company has big enough pants to go against EA. Majority of their games are crappy unfinished glitchy money stealers. They use to make great games but then as they grew bigger they became what most big companies become. Egotistical money hogging turds!! I do believe the NFL should have atleast 2 or 3 game developers max. Anymore than that and you'll have a shelf full of mostly failed attempts. Let 2K back in the loop. They made a awesome football game back in the day. Let Rockstar or Activision take a shot at it. We all know they make terrific games.

That's the thing the NFL doesn't care about that they care about the big check EA writes them every year to have the exclusive rights to the game.

Buggy? Is it the PS3 version?

The reason I ask is because Madden is made for 360 first, then ported to the other systems. Most multi platform games are like this, sometimes the PS3 version is buggy at first, they fix it fairly quickly with a system update. Most Madden games didn't have this issue for PS3 because it was the same engine every year, this year has a different engine though.

Call of Duty Black Ops for ps3 is a good example

Buggy? Is it the PS3 version?

The reason I ask is because Madden is made for 360 first, then ported to the other systems. Most multi platform games are like this, sometimes the PS3 version is buggy at first, they fix it fairly quickly with a system update. Most Madden games didn't have this issue for PS3 because it was the same engine every year, this year has a different engine though.

Call of Duty Black Ops for ps3 is a good example

I'm referring to the Xbox 360 version. The night I bought it, I came home and plugged it in and it was buggy in the sense that I had cornerbacks and safeties in the huddle with Luck in one of those transition videos before the play. I believe they fixed that yesterday because I haven't seen it since.

I'm referring to the Xbox 360 version. The night I bought it, I came home and plugged it in and it was buggy in the sense that I had cornerbacks and safeties in the huddle with Luck in one of those transition videos before the play. I believe they fixed that yesterday because I haven't seen it since.

And this kind of stuff is extremely disturbing to me. I realize they have a dead line to meet and what not. But how do you not test your product? Heck, I could've told them about 10-15 things that were off from 60 minutes of play time. But something like what you described not being ironed out before they stamp the disks? Seriously?

And this kind of stuff is extremely disturbing to me. I realize they have a dead line to meet and what not. But how do you not test your product? Heck, I could've told them about 10-15 things that were off from 60 minutes of play time. But something like what you described not being ironed out before they stamp the disks? Seriously?

There are a lot of variables that you can't test for everyones gaming console. Companies like Microsoft and Apple spend a lot more time developing their products and have to keep supporting users with updates and patches constantly for years after their release. I don't fault this to EA at all. It's not a perfect technology.

There are a lot of variables that you can't test for everyones gaming console. Companies like Microsoft and Apple spend a lot more time developing their products and have to keep supporting users with updates and patches constantly for years after their release. I don't fault this to EA at all. It's not a perfect technology.

I am sorry, but no. It's one thing for a madden player to encounter a random bug that happens once every 5-10 hours of game play. It's entirely another when you sit down for 30 minutes to start playing the game, and find flaw after flaw after flaw.

It's like they just print it to disk and ship it without having a single person play the game and report a good feel. There past 5-6 iterations, IMO, didn't have anywhere near the amount of flaws that this one has.

I'd have been in your camp if we were discussing last year's copy, as the issues were far less distinguishable, but within 30 minutes of game play, my RB ran into a blocker and fell down. I could see a clumbsy oaf like myself doing that in real life, but not a professional running back. And while it does happen from time to time in the league, it is the rare occurrence. For this game, it seems like the normal occurrence.

I am sorry, but no. It's one thing for a madden player to encounter a random bug that happens once every 5-10 hours of game play. It's entirely another when you sit down for 30 minutes to start playing the game, and find flaw after flaw after flaw.

It's like they just print it to disk and ship it without having a single person play the game and report a good feel. There past 5-6 iterations, IMO, didn't have anywhere near the amount of flaws that this one has.

I'd have been in your camp if we were discussing last year's copy, as the issues were far less distinguishable, but within 30 minutes of game play, my RB ran into a blocker and fell down. I could see a clumbsy oaf like myself doing that in real life, but not a professional running back. And while it does happen from time to time in the league, it is the rare occurrence. For this game, it seems like the normal occurrence.

I'll just disagree. I'm a software engineer by profession and I dabble in graphic design. What EA does is a huge combination of both of those elements and I can't even begin to imagine how hard it is to create something like that in one building then release it and expect it to be perfect for the rest of the world. It just doesn't happen in the software world at least.

Your RB problem is a feature of the new physics engine. You can't just plow/run through people anymore. If you run over someones leg, you will trip unless you hurdle over them. It's not perfect, but again there are a ton of different variables you cannot test until you get it out to the public. It's not uncommon and not as big of a deal as you make it out to be. I love the new game.

This is a industry wide problem, more and more games have yearly installments, when a year isn't quite enough time to make and it's not as simple as hire more programmers. Let alone talented programmers. They're kind of rare.

How do I update?

if you've got xbox live and have entered in your access code for online material, it should prompt you that your roster is out of date and automatically update. If not, go to play online, then you'll see roster download near the bottom of the menu on the left hand side.

when will a roster update come out with V Davis on the colts?

by the way, i love the colts on this years madden!!! Freeney and Mathis are awesome OLBs, Donald Brown is good pass catching and fast RB, Chapman at NT kills the middle runs, Bethea is a ball hawk, Zibi destroys people, and Luck is well.......Andrew Luck. Can't wait to have Davis and Powers at CBs!

I'll just disagree. I'm a software engineer by profession and I dabble in graphic design. What EA does is a huge combination of both of those elements and I can't even begin to imagine how hard it is to create something like that in one building then release it and expect it to be perfect for the rest of the world. It just doesn't happen in the software world at least.

Your RB problem is a feature of the new physics engine. You can't just plow/run through people anymore. If you run over someones leg, you will trip unless you hurdle over them. It's not perfect, but again there are a ton of different variables you cannot test until you get it out to the public. It's not uncommon and not as big of a deal as you make it out to be. I love the new game.

The problem is, they have a working platform. While they are using a new engine, they have something they can compare to. They have code from the previous engine that they can determine what their reasoning was.

As it is, they have a new platform, that they weren't at all ready to deploy. This is not the case with 12 or prior versions.

Then, you have commentary that sounds robotic. The inflection in the voice is terrible, at least for Nantz. I don't care for Simms, but his commentary at least has a decent flow.

In the end, this is one title that I feel they seriously rushed, and it shows in the final product.