Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So I bought Madden 13 last night/this morning...

FightLikeSin

I'll just disagree. I'm a software engineer by profession and I dabble in graphic design. What EA does is a huge combination of both of those elements and I can't even begin to imagine how hard it is to create something like that in one building then release it and expect it to be perfect for the rest of the world. It just doesn't happen in the software world at least.

Being in Software as well I can vouch for this. Just the infinity engine - keeping track of all the players and their limbs, ensuring they can't intersect, rebound off each other, and stay realistic (elbows not bent backwards) would be an intense task, and like others have said developing that in a year doesn't seem like enough time.

That being said, some franchises such as Call of Duty rotate between two companies releasing each year, so in actuality, its a two year development cycle. Perhaps that would be one way to improve the game - allow someone else exclusive rights every other year. Although, I understand that EA will pay to not let that happen.

Being in Software as well I can vouch for this. Just the infinity engine - keeping track of all the players and their limbs, ensuring they can't intersect, rebound off each other, and stay realistic (elbows not bent backwards) would be an intense task, and like others have said developing that in a year doesn't seem like enough time.

That being said, some franchises such as Call of Duty rotate between two companies releasing each year, so in actuality, its a two year development cycle. Perhaps that would be one way to improve the game - allow someone else exclusive rights every other year. Although, I understand that EA will pay to not let that happen.

Many of these patches are worked on well in advance as well. It's not like they found out something, patched it, and had it out all in one day.

It's like DLC. The game is finished for awhile, but they are always adding, tweaking, and testing. Development for games nowadays spans so much farther than just the release of the game.

In the old days, like Snes, Sega, nes, N64, Ps1, once the game way out that was the finished product. Unless your game was immensely popular, bugs really weren't fixed in a second printing. Now developers have much more leeway to get things right, AND instantly apply player feedback.

Much better era for gaming we live in now if you ask me.........what's that?....my geek is showing?!?........so embarrassing.....

Lol.

On topic. I have not gotten Madden yet, and am debating on if I will. Typically I play it religiously with my best friend, but currently he is overseas fighting in Iraq. Motivation isn't quite there I suppose.

You say this:

And follow it up with this:

Sorry, but there is this thing called tackling in football. If a video game can't get that right, they did something wrong. While the animations may be stale in 12, they're not buggy as they are in 13.

In one run play (10-15 minutes into to starting to play the game for the first time), my running back ran into the back of a blocker, and fell down. On the next play, he did about the same thing.

This is the first time in 5-8 years that I have been disappointed. This new product is buggy, and many of the new additions they've made over the years have been completely stripped out. They should have given development on this new version another year, IMO.

Sounds like you need to quit running into your own players

I rented the game today. All in all not to bad. But get this, my first game I pick the Colts and the Browns so I can have an easier time getting the hang of the controls. Played the first quarter mostly passing to Wayne and Fleener. First play second quarter I see Collie wide open in the middle of the field. Andrew throws it high, Collie jumps and catches it. As he is coming down he gets blasted and lies on the ground holding his head. The commentators immediately start talking about concussions. Are you kidding me?? First play and he gets concussed. I guess they made it realistic enough.

I rented the game today. All in all not to bad. But get this, my first game I pick the Colts and the Browns so I can have an easier time getting the hang of the controls. Played the first quarter mostly passing to Wayne and Fleener. First play second quarter I see Collie wide open in the middle of the field. Andrew throws it high, Collie jumps and catches it. As he is coming down he gets blasted and lies on the ground holding his head. The commentators immediately start talking about concussions. Are you kidding me?? First play and he gets concussed. I guess they made it realistic enough.

Hahaha that's hilarious. Not the real life counterpart, but that scenario playing out in the game.

They've been developIng this engine for awhile of you believe all the PR they have put out the last few years. They've been talking about it before the last game came out....

I also believe this is the highest grossing franchise in all of gaming (maybe Mario?) that racks in millions upon millions of dollars each year. If this was an independent studio, working with limited time and resources, I'd be a bit more tolerant. But as it stands, it's unacceptable. As hard as it is to believe for studios and hardcore gamers, for every 1 person who plays online and consistently downloads updates and patches, there are 10 who don't.

The problem is, they have a working platform. While they are using a new engine, they have something they can compare to. They have code from the previous engine that they can determine what their reasoning was.

As it is, they have a new platform, that they weren't at all ready to deploy. This is not the case with 12 or prior versions.

Then, you have commentary that sounds robotic. The inflection in the voice is terrible, at least for Nantz. I don't care for Simms, but his commentary at least has a decent flow.

In the end, this is one title that I feel they seriously rushed, and it shows in the final product.

7893352398_3a22b1145c_m.jpg

Again, I'll disagree. It's not as easy as you claim it is to develop these games and anyone commentating a game besides Collinsworth is plus for me.

So I gave Madden 13 some more time and defiantly wanted to do the franchise mode.

My biggest complaint is if I wanted to level up a guy I would put Skyrim in and play that. I don't want to have to deal with leveling up my guys after each week. I am playing a football game not a freaking RPG. I do not know what it is with developers now a days, but this insistence on forcing RPG elements into games that do not need it just boggles my mind.

It is like we the developers use this new connected career mode and RPG elements to distract players from the basic fact the gameplay really was not much improved from 2012. The passing is a bit better when you get use to having total control of the ball. The tackling in the game is pretty horrendous because it does not even feel like you are making a tackle. It really just feels like you run into them and hope they fall down.

It is definitely not a bad game, but like usual it is not worth 60 dollars. I still miss the days when we had real competition because Madden 2005 and NFL 2K5 were the peak of football games.

7893352398_3a22b1145c_m.jpg

Again, I'll disagree. It's not as easy as you claim it is to develop these games and anyone commentating a game besides Collinsworth is plus for me.

I don't recall saying it was easy. I simply said that they have had a finished product for years. Why on earth they discarded it and tried to build from scratch in one year is beyond me.

This product was rushed. Big time. I actually started a franchise at one point, and had no options for trade or otherwise. The menu was missing.

If NCAA had the choice to avoid releasing with the new engine early, it seems to me that Madden should've done the same. Each iteration from 05-12 had mostly minor updates, and some significant ones, but each version had improvements over the last. A complete overhaul takes time. Apparently, they didn't take it. They just rushed it together and shipped it out.

This isn't to say that the game isn't playable, but there are a lot of things that took a major step back.

I don't recall saying it was easy. I simply said that they have had a finished product for years. Why on earth they discarded it and tried to build from scratch in one year is beyond me.

This product was rushed. Big time. I actually started a franchise at one point, and had no options for trade or otherwise. The menu was missing.

If NCAA had the choice to avoid releasing with the new engine early, it seems to me that Madden should've done the same. Each iteration from 05-12 had mostly minor updates, and some significant ones, but each version had improvements over the last. A complete overhaul takes time. Apparently, they didn't take it. They just rushed it together and shipped it out.

This isn't to say that the game isn't playable, but there are a lot of things that took a major step back.

I don't see these huge mistakes then I suppose. I think the game is way better than before.

2012 was better simply because you actually had to make a tackle in that game you did just crash into another player and half the time get injured because of it

Not experiencing this currently. The tackling is more smooth and realistic than 12'. I haven't had any injuries happen thus far either. The biggest difference that I like so far is that when I'm running, I don't get stopped and pulled down because a linebacker is within range of me. He doesn't just magically latch on to me anymore. I can bounce off of him and keep running until he makes the tackle unlike 12' where I didn't have a shot at getting through/breaking a tackle.

Not experiencing this currently. The tackling is more smooth and realistic than 12'. I haven't had any injuries happen thus far either. The biggest difference that I like so far is that when I'm running, I don't get stopped and pulled down because a linebacker is within range of me. He doesn't just magically latch on to me anymore. I can bounce off of him and keep running until he makes the tackle unlike 12' where I didn't have a shot at getting through/breaking a tackle.

Thats the only complaint I got, besides I cant update

I was seriously thinking about buying Madden 13 since I haven't bought a Madden since probably 08 or 09. Then I remembered that any EA Sports game is horrible for trying to play friends online. I heard that EA Sports uses regional servers. So, I figured that I should be able to play my brother who lives in Illinois. Tried it on Madden a few years ago, nothing. Tried it on Tiger Woods 11 and 12, no dice their either. EA games just suck Dolphin turds.

lol I started a new custom game face coach for the Indianapolis Colts, and the first "top story" headline reads:

]"Indianapolis Fires Coach."

Colts let go of C. Pagano today. Sources indicate a poor win-loss record as a major factor why the decision was ultimately made.

^ Yea... Considering Pagano hasn't played in a single game, I highly doubt that's the reason he was let go :D.

lol check out this play on YouTube... Brandon Weeden seems to get dragged to the ground by two defenders, but because he's on top of a player, his knee apparently never hits the ground and the refs never blow the whistle, so he just gets right back up, doesn't really set his feet at all, then deep bombs a wide open completion.

I guess they have replacement refs in the game too!

lol check out this play on YouTube... Brandon Weeden seems to get dragged to the ground by two defenders, but because he's on top of a player, his knee apparently never hits the ground and the refs never blow the whistle, so he just gets right back up, doesn't really set his feet at all, then deep bombs a wide open completion.

THIS right here makes the game worth buying. Hilarious commentating too

I've gotten him injured twice already. Once he was carted off, the other he returned. lol

Collie has a 65 injury rating. That's worse than Donnie Avery (68) and only 15 higher than Bob Sanders (50).

Btw, to anyone who hasn't. In their franchise mode, you may as well sign Terrell Owens. He's a solid overall receiver and obviously he can't be a locker room menace in a video game, so it's a high reward low risk maneuver.

If you're playing with the Colts and want a stronger d-line, what I fo is move redding to the NT and have nevis and moala play the ends. The results are drastic. It makes it harder for the opposing team to run up the middle, pushing them to outside where yo have speedsters freeney and mathis who both can chase down those fast RB's, and if it's a bruiser, they'll slow them down and help should be on its way.

If you're playing with the Colts and want a stronger d-line, what I fo is move redding to the NT and have nevis and moala play the ends. The results are drastic. It makes it harder for the opposing team to run up the middle, pushing them to outside where yo have speedsters freeney and mathis who both can chase down those fast RB's, and if it's a bruiser, they'll slow them down and help should be on its way.

This is especially good because there's a bit of a bug going around where the opposing offense has an over-reliance on running the ball on all 1st-2nd downs, the exception being if they're down on pts, 2 minute drill, and other obvious passing situations. I think it may only pertain to offline ccm.

I've noticed a lot of " surfing " in the game.

Sometimes I have more running yards than passing with these Colts, even with Luck at 80% completion, 0 INTs, 4 TD passes. I'm getting more turn overs on D too.

That was my last online game. 152 yards passing, 165 rushing, got 3 interceptions with King as the nickel CB. Had a 48 yard kick return with Brazill.

With Peyton I used to get around 300 yards passing, 40 yrd rush, and get a few sacks, maybe 1 INT.

It looks like Madden 13 still doesn't have the physics truly respected yet. 5ft 160lb LT can stop 6'2" 272lb Courtney Upshaw dead in his tracks.

Needs to shed his blocks with the righ analog stick. Heck I was shedding blocks well with Nevis against the 49ers.