Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free Agency Good Colts News Thread

azcolt

It seems the AFC South will be much stronger after today. There is lots of news regarding moves by the other three South teams in free agency. So I am starting a thread to have just the good Colts free agency news from today. 

I’d start the ball rolling with the good news but I don’t have any yet. So will someone else more in the know please do the honors? (And please take your criticism of other fans including me to one of the several threads seemingly created for the sole purpose of debating who is a better fan.)

Good news:

1. Titans signed Malcolm Butler for a record contract. He wasn't particularly quick as young player - his 4.65 40 yard dash time is turtle time for a CB -, but last year he really, really looked slower. Not only his straight speed. This deal will backfire on them big time.

2. Jaguars let A-Robinson go, plan to cut Hurns, but signed Donte Moncrief for 10 mill/year + incentives.:D

3. Jaguars signed Norwell for an insane 13.3 mill per contract, which, no matter how good Norwell is, he will never live up to. They could've elected to not pay Norwell, cut Bortles and then they could've signed Cousins for the same money.

4. Texans seem to like their #32 offensive live, and keep replacing their bad olinemen with worse.

More to come...

1 minute ago, dodsworth said:

Whoa whoa whoa wait! 10 million a year for Moncrief? That isn't

exactly good news but it sure is hilarious news. :spit:

It's good news, because no way they can keep Hurns after this. And then ... the Colts can sign him for a let's say Aiken type of money. :)

10 minutes ago, Peterk2011 said:

It's good news, because no way they can keep Hurns after this. And then ... the Colts can sign him for a let's say Aiken type of money. :)

source of the 10 mil per? last reports I saw had it at 7.5 per?

15 minutes ago, csmopar said:

source of the 10 mil per? last reports I saw had it at 7.5 per?

Local jaguars fan forums. Actually from a friend who is a pff analyst, so has access to insider info. Anyway, he might still be wrong, so I am looking for further confirmation...

Update: here you are:

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/973945107471794178

(How can I insert a tweet as a tweet, not a link?)

Update 2: Seems like LaCanfora was wrong again .... Its 7.5 + incentives up to cca 10, not 10 + incentives. Still a lot anyway.

Just now, csmopar said:

Other good news... the number of teams with cap space is dwindling fast and the Jags will be in salary cap HELL soon enough

Actually, Jax is structuring things so they can cut their older FA's right when the younger guys come due.....  alternating front and back-loading deals very well... Coughlin knows what he is doing.  Now they just have to count on drafting young guys and hoping they can step up in a few years to replace Calais, their safeties, etc.

4 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Ya he will gladly take 10 mil a year to stink it up.

I wonder if he just signed it FAST not thinking about who would be throwing the ball. If he couldn’t even stay healthy on the field ... he was sucking it up with JB and AL .... if you stunk it up with Luck how the hell will you get anything with bortles

1 hour ago, azcolt said:

It seems the AFC South will be much stronger after today. There is lots of news regarding moves by the other three South teams in free agency. So I am starting a thread to have just the good Colts free agency news from today. 

I’d start the ball rolling with the good news but I don’t have any yet. So will someone else more in the know please do the honors? (And please take your criticism of other fans including me to one of the several threads seemingly created for the sole purpose of debating who is a better fan.)

The only thing I see happening is Jacksonville widening the gap between themselves and the other 3 teams.

Shouldn't be too surprising, considering who they have running the show.  They know what they are doing.

23 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Actually, Jax is structuring things so they can cut their older FA's right when the younger guys come due.....  alternating front and back-loading deals very well... Coughlin knows what he is doing.  Now they just have to count on drafting young guys and hoping they can step up in a few years to replace Calais, their safeties, etc.

that may be, but I have to ask you how you know that when NONE of the contract structure details have actually been released yet(they can't be until signed).  Only numbers being released so far are total numbers plus guaranteed numbers.  And as it sits, BEFORE signing all these FAs, they were sitting at 4 million OVER the cap for 2019.  I still think there's going to be some big time cuts coming out of Jacksonville 

2 hours ago, Peterk2011 said:

Good news:

1. Titans signed Malcolm Butler for a record contract. He wasn't particularly quick as young player - his 4.65 40 yard dash time is turtle time for a CB -, but last year he really, really looked slower. Not only his straight speed. This deal will backfire on them big time.

2. Jaguars let A-Robinson go, plan to cut Hurns, but signed Donte Moncrief for 10 mill/year + incentives.:D

3. Jaguars signed Norwell for an insane 13.3 mill per contract, which, no matter how good Norwell is, he will never live up to. They could've elected to not pay Norwell, cut Bortles and then they could've signed Cousins for the same money.

4. Texans seem to like their #32 offensive live, and keep replacing their bad olinemen with worse.

More to come...

I wish I could like this post twice.

WRs will sign incentive-based contracts with Jacksonville knowing Bortles is going to be their QB?  Do they realize the garbage-time pass-machine days are over?

Didn't Bortles run for more yards than he passed in their first playoff game?

If people aren't here constantly denigrating Ballard and lamenting every move he does not make, that is good news.

It is one thing to disagree and make your point heard. It is another to sound whiny all the time, and do it repeatedly.

9 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If people aren't here constantly denigrating Ballard and lamenting every move he does not make, that is good news.

It is one thing to disagree and make your point heard. It is another to sound whiny all the time, and do it repeatedly.

I hoped this thread would report on good Colts free agent news and specifically asked that the criticism of fans be placed in the several threads for that purpose. Perhaps it’s because things are quiet at Colts headquarters, but I really don’t understand the almost compulsive need to criticize other fans even in a thread that was created specifically to avoid those red herrings.

4 hours ago, csmopar said:

that may be, but I have to ask you how you know that when NONE of the contract structure details have actually been released yet(they can't be until signed).  Only numbers being released so far are total numbers plus guaranteed numbers.  And as it sits, BEFORE signing all these FAs, they were sitting at 4 million OVER the cap for 2019.  I still think there's going to be some big time cuts coming out of Jacksonville 

Well, I was referencing the deals they signed the last few seasons, like Campbell and Bouye.....  as for their cap space, extending Bortles alone saved them 9.5 million or so this year.  in the future, cutting Campbell saves 15 mill on the cap, Dareus over 11, etc...... they can cut guys easily as they get older with little to no "dead" cap....that being the "cap hell" everyone is hoping they get themselves into...... the question is going to be, can they keep drafting solid pieces without picking highly in every round year after year.  No cap hell in the near future for Jax if they maintain their new status quo though, they've been smart about things thus far.

1 minute ago, Shafty138 said:

Well, I was referencing the deals they signed the last few seasons, like Campbell and Bouye.....  as for their cap space, extending Bortles alone saved them 9.5 million or so this year.  in the future, cutting Campbell saves 15 mill on the cap, Dareus over 11, etc...... they can cut guys easily as they get older with little to no "dead" cap....that being the "cap hell" everyone is hoping they get themselves into...... the question is going to be, can they keep drafting solid pieces without picking highly in every round year after year.  No cap hell in the near future for Jax if they maintain their new status quo though, they've been smart about things thus far.

that makes sense. thanks

I think FA is going great! I'm happy with what we've done so far, and I'm 100% OK riding into the season with Ballard's band of misfits. He has a vision as to what kind of person should grace our locker room, and I agree with him. The "me me me" players like Moncrief will never last here anymore.

People need to understand, this is a CULTURE change. On Ballard's introductory press conference he even said that the most important thing is having a great culture in the locker room.

Riddle me this, Vegas had the eagles at 8 wins for 2017 during the pre-season. Yes, you heard me... 8. They were 40-1 to win the superbowl. They were projected to lose every single playoff game they played, even home underdogs...Anyone have any idea why they won? Are they a team full of mega stars? Nope. They are not, they were guys who gelled together and each player made everyone around them better.

It speaks volumes as to why we hired Frank Reich as the HC, he just came from this scenario, he knows the blueprint, him and Ballard share a vision, and IMHO it's the correct vision. We might not be world beaters this season, but rest assured we are moving in the right direction.

I honestly am looking forward to what Ballard does with this team.  I keep reading negative comment after negative comment in the other threads.  People just don’t seem to understand that it takes both parties to agree before a contract is signed.  I do believe that Ballard doesn’t want to see the Colts tied to an expensive player that’s not worth what he’s being paid.  It’s just not good business.