Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I live NYMetro area Jets fans now asking today often.

HOF19

I do see that the Jets have 2 picks in this drafts 2nd round.....I would need both of those ......And that is just a start of the conversation !!!!!....And their first round pick in this draft and .............

All of these teams are getting bridge QBs means they will wait until the QBs fall closer to their draft pick.  They are not stupid enough to mortgage the future for a rookie QB.  The NYG might have a trade partner.  We will not.

2 hours ago, HOF19 said:

I do see that the Jets have 2 picks in this drafts 2nd round.....I would need both of those ......And that is just a start of the conversation !!!!!....And their first round pick in this draft and .............

Do they have an OL, WR, or CB they could package with picks?

31 minutes ago, DougDew said:

All of these teams are getting bridge QBs means they will wait until the QBs fall closer to their draft pick.  They are not stupid enough to mortgage the future for a rookie QB.  The NYG might have a trade partner.  We will not.

Why would giants and not us? (Only 1pick away)

1 minute ago, WoolMagnet said:

Why would giants and not us? (Only 1pick away)

I cant see the Giants turning down a big offer from the Bills just to draft a RB or a QB.  The Giants are rolling with Eli for two more years and will probably wait until 2nd round or trade back up into later round 1 for a QB. 

Cleveland takes Darnold 1, and Buffalo takes Allen or Rosen at 2.

That leaves the Jets possibly trading with us, but Cleveland, Indy, and Denver have no need for a QB and the other teams like Miami or Arizona aren't going to trade all the way up to the top five to take the third best QB in the draft, so the Jest will pick him at 6.

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I cant see the Giants turning down a big offer from the Bills just to draft a RB or a QB.  The Giants are rolling with Eli for two more years and will probably wait until 2nd round or trade back up into later round 1 for a QB. 

Cleveland takes Darnold 1, and Buffalo takes Allen or Rosen at 2.

That leaves the Jets possibly trading with us, but Cleveland, Indy, and Denver have no need for a QB and the other teams like Miami or Arizona aren't going to trade all the way up to the top five to take the third best QB in the draft, so the Jest will pick him at 6.

That would arguably give us the best player in draft.

This could get crazy, i like it.

1 minute ago, WoolMagnet said:

That would arguably give us the best player in draft.

This could get crazy, i like it.

I would be very disappointed if we wasted the #3 pick on a RB, a G, or a DE with a 7.37 three cone test.  But I think we'll probably have too.

Should have lost one more game.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I would be very disappointed if we wasted the #3 pick on a RB, a G, or a DE with a 7.37 three cone test.  But I think we'll probably have too.

Ok then, who would you take with the 2nd pick if we had it? All 3 picks you mentioned above we can use. If we had the #1 pick it would be either Barkley, Chubb, or Nelson no matter how you slice it. Probably not Nelson but you get my point. 

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Ok then, who would you take with the 2nd pick if we had it? All 3 picks you mentioned above we can use. If we had the #1 pick it would be either Barkley, Chubb, or Nelson no matter how you slice it. Probably not Nelson but you get my point. 

I wouldn't.  I'd trade it.  I would entertain bids from the Jets and Bills.  I just think the Bills have more to offer so they will end up getting the 2nd pick.

Again, I can't see any team that already has a QB like the Cardinals or Miami trading up to the top 5 to get the third best QB, even thinking the Jets will take him at 6. 

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I wouldn't.  I'd trade it.  I would entertain bids from the Jets and Bills.  I just think the Bills have more to offer so they will end up getting the 2nd pick.

Again, I can't see any team that already has a QB like the Cardinals or Miami trading up to the top 5 to get the third best QB, even thinking the Jets will take him at 6. 

What if the Browns and Giants don't take QB 1 and 2? Then our 3rd pick for a team that needs a QB is real valuable or even if they do I would love to have Barkley. I still think we are in a great position, JMO

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What if the Browns and Giants don't take QB 1 and 2? Then our 3rd pick for a team that needs a QB is real valuable or even if they do I would love to have Barkley. I still think we are in a great position, JMO

Yes, but QBs always seem to rise come draft day.

The Bills could trade up to 1 and the Browns up from 4 to 2 to get the QB they like.  With the moves the Bills have made and haven't made (like signing a bridge QB), they've pretty much telegraphed they will be trading up for a QB.  The question is how far.  

Cleveland and the Bills are going to take the two best QBs in the draft, IMO.  Probably at picks 1 and 2.  

The question is, how valuable is the third QB to a team that just signed a bridge QB vet? 

A team might trade up a few slots, but I can't see them trading up to the top five.  I could be wrong.

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The Bills could trade up to 1 and the Browns up from 4 to 2 to get the QB they like.  With the moves the Bills have made and haven't made (like signing a bridge QB), they've pretty much telegraphed they will be trading up for a QB.  The question is how far.  

Cleveland and the Bills are going to take the two best QBs in the draft, IMO.  Probably at picks 1 and 2.  

The question is, how valuable is the third QB to a team that just signed a bridge QB vet? 

A team might trade up a few slots, but I can't see them trading up to the top five.  I could be wrong.

It's really a crapshoot at this point. Anything can happen. It's anyone's guess to what will happen. I am actually more concerned with getting Luck healthy but that is a whole another topic.

17 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Amen to that. I knew Week 17 would play out just like that...with both the Giants and Colts winning. At the time it looked like it could be Eli's last game as a NYG, so he gets the win AND the NYG don't affect their ability to draft their future QB.

Even though I am a huge fan, I can admit that the NFL seems too predicatable at times.

I fully expect the NYG to still draft a QB at #2 and the Colts will still have trade back opportunities...but the whole dynamic would have looked different. 

25 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Amen to that. I knew Week 17 would play out just like that...with both the Giants and Colts winning. At the time it looked like it could be Eli's last game as a NYG, so he gets the win AND the NYG don't affect their ability to draft their future QB.

Even though I am a huge fan, I can admit that the NFL seems too predicatable at times.

I fully expect the NYG to still draft a QB at #2 and the Colts will still have trade back opportunities...but the whole dynamic would have looked different. 

I think the only way any team drafts a QB #2 is if they don't yet have one or are going to release their starter.  I dont think they will release Eli.

The Giants are a smart organization.  They made one bad decision in the past ten years in signing McAdoo as HC, but rectified that decision fairly quickly.  I can't see them turning down a trade offer to build back their roster.  

19 minutes ago, DougDew said:

HOU gave up a future 1st to move up from #25 to #12 to take Watson, the third QB on the board. Two picks before that, KC gave up their 3rd round pick and a future 1st round pick to move from #27 to #10 to grab the 2nd QB on the board.

HOU seems like BUF in that they didn't have a bridge QB...whereas are the teams with bridge QBs are more like KC. 

And last season wasn't a particularly strong QB class, so QB slipped. That won't happen this year. Even still, there was some serious value traded to move up for guys that weren't the top QB taken. Granted those two teams were picking in the 20s, but it's all relative. I think the Colts will have no problem getting a mint from someone looking to move up. 

6 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

HOU gave up a future 1st to move up from #25 to #12 to take Watson, the third QB on the board. Two picks before that, KC gave up their 3rd round pick and a future 1st round pick to move from #27 to #10 to grab the 2nd QB on the board.

HOU seems like BUF in that they don't have a bridge QB...whereas are the teams with bridge QBs are more like KC. 

And last season wasn't a particularly strong QB class, so QB slipped. That won't happen this year. Even still, there was some serious value traded to move up for guys that weren't the top QB taken. Granted those two teams were picking in the 20s, but it's all relative. I think the Colts will have no problem getting a mint from someone looking to move up. 

There are several teams that need a QB for the future, but I don't see them trading all the way up to pick 3 to jump the Jets for him.  I think this is a fairly deep QB draft and those teams might trade back up into the late or mid first to get their developmental guy.  I think the Jets just sit tight and take their QB at pick 6.

But I hate the idea of taking a RB, a G, or a 7.37 3 cone DE at 3, I'd trade with Miami just to pick up an extra 2nd rounder.

16 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think the only way any team drafts a QB #2 is if they don't yet have one or are going to release their starter.  I dont think they will release Eli.

The Giants are a smart organization.  They made one bad decision in the past ten years in signing McAdoo as HC, but rectified that decision fairly quickly.  I can't see them turning down a trade offer to build back their roster.  

The only thing possibly going for us is that they may not want to trade with their cross-town rival and let the Jets get the new golden-boy hype.

That is true regarding the NYG organization. But on that same note, the last time they had a top 5 pick, they drafted Eli. Teams (and owners) have a way of referring back to what has worked. Having the #2 pick in the draft just seems like an opportunity that a smart organization (with an aging QB) would take advantage of to get their future QB. They can't even afford to continue to pay Eli and re-sign some of their core pieces...like OBJ and Collins. After next season, not having Eli would free up a considerable amount of cap space that will be needed.

They would have to truly not like a single QB long-term (since they will have their pick)...which I suppose is possible. But I don't think it's likely. Eli playing for one more season (while a rookie QB develops) and then releasing him after the season when they can save most of his cap space...seems like the most logical conclusion.

11 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

That is true regarding the NYG organization. But on that same note, the last time they had a top 5 pick, they drafted Eli. Teams (and owners) have a way of referring back to what has worked. Having the #2 pick in the draft just seems like an opportunity that a smart organization (with an aging QB) would take advantage of to get their future QB. They can't even afford to continue to pay Eli and re-sign some of their core pieces...like OBJ and Collins. After next season, not having Eli would free up a considerable amount of cap space that will be needed.

They would have to truly not like a single QB long-term (since they will have their pick)...which I suppose is possible. But I don't think it's likely. Eli playing for one more season (while a rookie QB develops) and then releasing him after the season when they can save most of his cap space...seems like the most logical conclusion.

Good points.  For some reason, I think a big, athletic, strong armed QB is what Buffalo is looking for.  So if NYG takes Rosen, I could see, and hope, the Bills trade with us for Allen.

I'm fairly confident that the 2 best QBs will go 1 and 2, but the teams aren't clear.  

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

There are several teams that need a QB for the future, but I don't see them trading all the way up to pick 3 to jump the Jets for him.  I think this is a fairly deep QB draft and those teams might trade back up into the late or mid first to get their developmental guy.  I think the Jets just sit tight and take their QB at pick 6.

It only takes one team though. I think last season you could have made a very good argument that KC wouldn't be moving up to draft a QB....but they did. And that spurred HOU to do the same. So it just takes one team to love a QB or it takes one to start a run. 

Depending on who CLE picks, someone like BUF might have jump as many as three teams (CLE, DEN, NYJ)....not just one. BUF has definitely positioned themselves to move up as far as #3...and they now have the advantage over MIA and AZ as well. 

Provided there isn't a trade up with CLE or the NYG, I think it's likely open season for the Colts. Cousins going to MIN and Smith going to WAS was a godsend. Those remaining teams with bridge QBs might be content to sit back and see what happens, but BUF is now a wildcard they will have to contend with. But as recent history has shown, if a team thinks their franchise QB is in that draft, they will do what is necessary 

12 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

The Giants Drafted Davis Webb last year in the 3rd round, so it really depends what Shurmer and Gettleman feel what he can develop into.

10 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Good points.  For some reason, I think a big, athletic, strong armed QB is what Buffalo is looking for.  So if NYG takes Rosen, I could see, and hope, the Bills trade with us for Allen.

I'm fairly confident that the 2 best QBs will go 1 and 2, but the teams aren't clear.  

Yeah...teams don't mess around when it comes to QB. Barkely is a wildcard...but I just don't see how he goes before a QB.

But even in that scenario, a team that hasn't moved up yet probably gets even more desperate. With two less QBs on the board, there is less chance their remaining guy gets to their range (or the range they were planning on moving up to). That's hopefully when a bidding war starts. I think Ballard's quote regarding trading back was just his way of saying "I have no pre-arranged deal so send me your best offers."

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

It only takes one team though. I think last season you could have made a very good argument that KC wouldn't be moving up to draft a QB....but they did. And that spurred HOU to do the same. So it just takes one team to love a QB or it takes one to start a run. 

Depending on who CLE picks, someone like BUF might have jump as many as three teams (CLE, DEN, NYJ)....not just one. BUF has definitely positioned themselves to move up as far as #3...and they now have the advantage over MIA and AZ as well. 

Provided there isn't a trade up with CLE or the NYG, I think it's likely open season for the Colts. Cousins going to MIN and Smith going to WAS was a godsend. Those remaining teams with bridge QBs might be content to sit back and see what happens, but BUF is now a wildcard they will have to contend with. But as recent history has shown, if a team thinks their franchise QB is in that draft, they will do what is necessary 

I think there is a big difference in trading up to the late first from the mid 2nd than trading from the mid first up to pick 3.  I think pick 3 says the QB will start soon, so some of these bridge QB teams I see as targeting someone with their mid 1st or trading up to the late 1st. 

Maybe I'm wrong and they'll give up a bunch of picks to draft a QB at 3 then let him sit for a year or 2, but I don't think it will work that way.  Buffalo seems willing to give up bunch to have the QB to start right away.

SNY Network ( a TV network here in NY Metro area that has a contract with the Jets to do a ton of Jets coverage ) Just spent 10 minutes specifically saying that even tho they have Bridgewater the on air studio guys still insist that the Jets trade up and they all said trade with the Colts and call the Colts ASAP .

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Seems like very little falling our way thus far.  Big difference between the 2nd and 3rd pick isn't it?  Giants are in the driver's seat and Colts making backseat moves.  This is why some fans don't like meaningless Week 17 wins that jack up draft positioning.

6 hours ago, TheMarine said:

like I said, barkely going 1st overall could do WONDERS for us in the trade market, more so if Chubb goes #2 overall to the Giants

The Browns can't pass on a QB this year, the will pull the trigger on one.