Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Retired Numbers.

Dark Superman

18,19,22,24,70,77,82,89 are all retired numbers for the Colts.

Question. There's a handful of players who could have their number retired by the Colts. Harrison, Wayne. Glenn, Saturday, Mathis, Freeney, etc.

Obviously since their departure Glenn (78) Saturday (63) Freeney (93) have been worn by other players.

Are the jersey numbers worn by Harrison, Wayne, and possibly Mathis off limits? or is it possible that by chance no one picked those numbers since those guys last played here?

I hate retired numbers and think it would be okay if more than one person retired a number. I was just wondering if those numbers are available or if you think Irsay is holding them hostage until he decided to retire them?

2 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I think #7 (Bert Jones) should have been retired a long time ago.

Huge fan of Jones, but he had about 2-3 good seasons and that was it. Injuries unfortunately took there toll on him. Not many threw as nice as a ball as he did. 

I agree his career was way too short. But the honor wpuld have come from the Colts, not the Hall of Fame committee.

In fact I'm not sure how I feel about retired #'s???  In a way seeing a All Time Great's # on another player makes you think of him.... If it's retired, no one else wears it and you have less chance of remembering him. Lol

4 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Only #88 for certain.  Jones was great, but not long enough...Saturday merits discussion.

Saturday gets no discussion before Wayne, Freeney, James, or Mathis & probably Vinny too & Glenn...  Jeff belongs at the top  of the next group that includes Sanders, Brackett, Clark, Diem, & probably Addai.  If any one from the first group doesn’t get their number retired, then Jeff shouldn’t either.

1 hour ago, NorthernBlue said:

Random question, what happens when you run out of numbers? haha 

1 hour ago, The Peytonator said:

You use decimals.

Hey Peytonator, your reply was priceless. Your humor is top notch. Keep it up! 

To those who hate retiring numbers, I ask you why do we recognize greatness then? If anybody can wear a number retired to the team rafters, then what other way do you suggest we honor longevity & elite play on the field? 

I will admit this though. Sometimes, retiring a specific jersey in a local football stadium has more to do with popularity among the fan base instead of numbers that warrant a HOF induction ceremony 5 yrs after a player is done playing. 

I will acknowledge that the vast majority of retired numbers will dictate HOF Canton consideration, but sometimes a beloved player gets the rafters honor because they are so well liked like an ambassador to the city, team, & devoted fans. It happens. I could see Jeff Saturday getting his jersey honored at LOS & no HOF love in Ohio for example.

Some guys get both the video tribute montage & the jersey ceiling celebration with no yellow jacket. Jeff fits that criteria if you ask me. Local love not bronze bust love etc, etc. 

The problem with retiring football #'s is that you're so limited with such a big roster. 

I think Harrison is definitely deserving, but not really anyone else. I'm also surprised that the Colts issued Freeney's number so quickly, like a season later to Erik Walden (although that was Grigson's doing). Mathis might've been a better leader, but Freeney was a superior and more dominant player and the Colts should've held his number out at least for a few years. 

All of the numbers retired have one thing in common, all of those players are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame except #22 Buddy Young. Peyton Manning obviously will be. I think making the Hall of Fame should be a requirement.

#18 Peyton

#19 Johnny Unitas

#22 Buddy Young

#24 Lenny Moore

#70 Art Donovan

#77 Jim Parker

#82 Raymond Berry

#89 Gino Marchetti

-Only one I question is #22 Buddy Young? He only played 3 seasons with the Colts from 1953-1955 and he isn't in the Hall of Fame either. Why wasn't John Mackey's #88 retired? He was a far better Colt than Buddy Young.  Mackey is arguably the Greatest TE ever to play. That makes no sense. Marvin who also wore #88 is in the Hall of Fame and is a Top 5 WR of all-time so I would have no problem with 88 being retired.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

All of the numbers retired have one thing in common, all of those players are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame except #22 Buddy Young. Peyton Manning obviously will be. I think making the Hall of Fame should be a requirement.

#18 Peyton

#19 Johnny Unitas

#22 Buddy Young

#24 Lenny Moore

#70 Art Donovan

#77 Jim Parker

#82 Raymond Berry

#89 Gino Marchetti

-Only one I question is #22 Buddy Young? He only played 3 seasons with the Colts from 1953-1955 and he isn't in the Hall of Fame either. Why wasn't John Mackey's #88 retired? He was a far better Colt than Buddy Young.  Mackey is arguably the Greatest TE ever to play. That makes no sense. Marvin who also wore #88 is in the Hall of Fame and is a Top 5 WR of all-time so I would have no problem with 88 being retired.

Not sure why BY has his number retired 

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

#18 Peyton

#19 Johnny Unitas

#22 Buddy Young

#24 Lenny Moore

#70 Art Donovan

#77 Jim Parker

#82 Raymond Berry

#89 Gino Marchetti

-Only one I question is #22 Buddy Young? He only played 3 seasons with the Colts from 1953-1955 and he isn't in the Hall of Fame either. Why wasn't John Mackey's #88 retired. He was a far better Colt than Buddy Young.  Mackey is arguably the Greatest TE ever to play. That makes no sense. Marvin who also wore #88 is in the Hall of Fame and is a Top WR of all-time so I would have no problem with 88 being retired.

I know John Mackey is in the Ravens Ring of Honor, along with # 83 Ted Hendricks. 

John probably would have had his number retired in Baltimore when he went into the HOF in 1992, but the Colts had left Baltimore in 1984. The fact that he was a big union rep , also probably didn’t help his cause. He was a great guy 

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't either, I looked him on Wiki and he only played 3 years with the Colts and he's not in the Hall of Fame. I am shocked John Mackey's #88 didn't get retired. I am actually blown away by it. Since then Marvin has worn it now.

Looked at him on the Pro Football Reference and I think it might have being one of the first stars of the franchise

Just now, The Old Crow said:

I know John Mackey is in the Ravens Ring of Honor, along with # 83 Ted Hendricks. 

John probably would have had his number retired in Baltimore when he went into the HOF in 1992, but the Colts had left Baltimore in 1984. The fact that he was a big union rep , also probably didn’t help his cause. He was a great guy 

Those are probably big reasons

1 minute ago, The Old Crow said:

Yeah I figured the older Colts fans can give some input on this. Thanks.

The other weird thing is Buddy Young is the only retired number Baltimore Colt who is not in the current Ravens Ring of Honor. He is not in the Hall of Fame, as the other players in the ROH are. However , I’m thinking his number was retired by the Baltimore Colts as he was the NFL’s first African- American executive hired by the NFL. 

The only other Colts player that doesn’t have a retired number, or in the Ravens ROH is Joe Perry , a HOFer , who played from 61-62 on the Colts 

5 hours ago, King! said:

18,19,22,24,70,77,82,89 are all retired numbers for the Colts.

Question. There's a handful of players who could have their number retired by the Colts. Harrison, Wayne. Glenn, Saturday, Mathis, Freeney, etc.

Obviously since their departure Glenn (78) Saturday (63) Freeney (93) have been worn by other players.

Are the jersey numbers worn by Harrison, Wayne, and possibly Mathis off limits? or is it possible that by chance no one picked those numbers since those guys last played here?

I hate retired numbers and think it would be okay if more than one person retired a number. I was just wondering if those numbers are available or if you think Irsay is holding them hostage until he decided to retire them?

I think the future this is going to be a Ring of Honor induction and not the retiring of numbers because you only have so many numbers available for receivers that's why the league allows receivers to wear numbers in the teens. 

These guys are all great players you all bring up, but I think you lose some perspective.  Is #88 Marvin Harrison or John Mackey or both?  Jeff Saturday was a very good center, but so was Ray Donaldson.  My point is the Colts over the last 20 years have had some really good players.  But let's not forget the players before them and at least compare their accomplishments.

And I am a Colts fan.  Don't care if they come from Baltimore, Indy, or if they moved to Dover, DE in five year.  All the same to me.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't either, I looked him up on Wiki and he only played 3 years with the Colts and he's not in the Hall of Fame. 

In Indianapolis Colts lore, before we were the Baltimore Colts, we were the Dallas Texans, and before that we were the New York Yanks. Same franchise, rebranded over the years. Buddy Young was with the franchise in its infancy, back to the Boston Yanks days, in a time long forgotten but for the annals of wikipedia.

14 minutes ago, The Peytonator said:

In Indianapolis Colts lore, before we were the Baltimore Colts, we were the Dallas Texans, and before that we were the New York Yanks. Same franchise, rebranded over the years. Buddy Young was with the franchise in its infancy, back to the Boston Yanks days, in a time long forgotten but for the annals of wikipedia.

Buddy Young was also the 1st African American FO personell person

10 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Hey Peytonator, your reply was priceless. Your humor is top notch. Keep it up! 

To those who hate retiring numbers, I ask you why do we recognize greatness then? If anybody can wear a number retired to the team rafters, then what other way do you suggest we honor longevity & elite play on the field? 

The ring of honor.