Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The misguided perception of this team

BProland85

I think this team continues to get a bad rap from these so called "analysts," saying that Luck has no talent around him and the whole team is based on Luck's performance. I strongly disagree. Yes, this team is obviously much better with Luck out there playing at a high level. But also, this team continuously gets ravaged with injuries year in and year out, thus not allowing to see the full potential of this roster when players are able to build chemistry with each other.

Continuity, especially at positions like OL and secondary are so vital to the players, since they rely on each other and trust that their teammates have their backs and will be where they need to be to make plays.

For once I would love to see the full potential of this team by hopefully having a mostly injury free season, which can happen by the way. I live in Nashville and watched the Titans go relatively injury free for the most part last season, hence their rise from the bottom of the division to potentially the winner of the division this coming season. Obviously their new GM Jon Robinson played a part into their rise also, but again being mostly injury free can do wonders for a team.

Hopefully this issue gets resolved sometime in the near future for the Colts, as I hate seeing and hearing about players going down left and right, as I'm sure you all do too.

Injuries happen to literally every team.  The teams that win are the teams that have the depth of talent to overcome those injuries.  So if your argument is that injuries are holding this team back, I think the natural counter to that is a team should be able to find the talent to overcome injuries.  And if they can't, which one could argue the Colts haven't in some instances, you could make the case they aren't a very talented roster and are being carried by a very talented QB

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

I think this team continues to get a bad rap from these so called "analysts," saying that Luck has no talent around him and the whole team is based on Luck's performance. I strongly disagree. Yes, this team is obviously much better with Luck out there playing at a high level. But also, this team continuously gets ravaged with injuries year in and year out, thus not allowing to see the full potential of this roster when players are able to build chemistry with each other.

Continuity, especially at positions like OL and secondary are so vital to the players, since they rely on each other and trust that their teammates have their backs and will be where they need to be to make plays.

For once I would love to see the full potential of this team by hopefully having a mostly injury free season, which can happen by the way. I live in Nashville and watched the Titans go relatively injury free for the most part last season, hence their rise from the bottom of the division to potentially the winner of the division this coming season. Obviously their new GM Jon Robinson played a part into their rise also, but again being mostly injury free can do wonders for a team.

Hopefully this issue gets resolved sometime in the near future for the Colts, as I hate seeing and hearing about players going down left and right, as I'm sure you all do too.

Other than the QB spot,  most any objective fan would take the roster of the other three AFC South teams over the Colts.

Houston, Tennesse and J'Ville all have better rosters than the Colts,  with the exception of the QB position.   Luck is the Great Equalizer.     But our roster,  even improved as it is this season over last,  still has a long way to go.     Ballard has repeatedly said this is NOT a one year rebuild.

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Other than the QB spot,  most any objective fan would take the roster of the other three AFC South teams over the Colts.

Houston, Tennesse and J'Ville all have better rosters than the Colts,  with the exception of the QB position.   Luck is the Great Equalizer.     But our roster,  even improved as it is this season over last,  still has a long way to go.     Ballard has repeatedly said this is NOT a one year rebuild.

It would be an interesting debate to go through the four teams and look at position groups and see who you would take.  Some no brainers like our QB, Jags CB's, Texans pass rush, etc.

Not sure the Colts would win many other grouping battles (which backs up your point).  Would be willing to throw our WR group in there and potentially our new defensive line.

4 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Injuries happen to literally every team.  The teams that win are the teams that have the depth of talent to overcome those injuries.  So if your argument is that injuries are holding this team back, I think the natural counter to that is a team should be able to find the talent to overcome injuries.  And if they can't, which one could argue the Colts haven't in some instances, you could make the case they aren't a very talented roster and are being carried by a very talented QB

That was exactly one of the problems over the last two seasons. The 22 starters wasn't that bad as far as being a pretty good team. But when an injury hit the talent level between the starters down to the second tier was devastating. We had our share of injuries but not having at least an average player to sub it showed big time.

When we had to make subs in the rotation it also was a glaring problem.

The next man up concept went to hades because there was no talent in the next man.

We also didn't have the players needed to play the 3-4 with the weak linebackers we had. I do like the 3-4 over the 4-3 but you have to have the right players to make it work. We didn't.

4 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

It would be an interesting debate to go through the four teams and look at position groups and see who you would take.  Some no brainers like our QB, Jags CB's, Texans pass rush, etc.

Not sure the Colts would win many other grouping battles (which backs up your point).  Would be willing to throw our WR group in there and potentially our new defensive line.

With that said and accepted, when was the last time the team with the 'best roster' won a title?

It usually comes down to the quarterback making the difference.

That's why our chances are good, with lots of Luck.

Because none of the QBs in our division are close to Andrew

5 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

Well give me the Texans D, the Titans o-line and RB and Luck with our WR group and keep everyone healthy and you have an incredible team right there.

10 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Injuries are the easiest cop-out.  Luck going down for any time is terrible but every team has injuries.  Our depth has been beyond terrible and it shows every year.  But to reference your first point...Luck is our team and has been since he was drafted.  We have not surrounded him with a lot as the analysts point out.  TY is a blessing as is Doyle but other then that you have had under performing players and a non-existent o-line.  Regardless of injuries Luck is the reason for a lot we have accomplished.

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

With that said and accepted, when was the last time the team with the 'best roster' won a title?

It usually comes down to the quarterback making the difference.

That's why our chances are good, with lots of Luck.

Because none of the QBs in our division are close to Andrew

Mariota is getting there. He's going to be really good I'm afraid 

I think the depth will be better this year. The exception might be the Oline and maybe TE, but there is time for Ballard to pick up some backups after Sept 2. The silver lining to having some of these injuries is the young guys are getting playing time. This year is going to try our patience but things could unfold nicely, if the Colts can be .500 or better before Geathers, Swoope and Kelly return.

1 hour ago, SP_21 said:

Mariota is getting there. He's going to be really good I'm afraid 

I agree 100% he is going to light some fires in the NFL all the while the Colts have a big need in pass defense. I think the Jags are going to make a play for NE's Garaffalo next year.

I get hammered by some regulars on the site when I say the Colts are not going to win the division this year and were what they were last year. It's one thing to be a fan but another to believe your team is unbeatable sole because they are your team. Just because you bought a lottery ticket does not mean you won!! Politicians give praise when they in reality re useless boobs and sports fans should learn not to mimic them.

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

It not not correct to say that Tennessee and Jacksonville have better rosters. Tennessee was up and down all season and we have beaten them 11 times in a row. Jacksonville is perennially one of the worst team in the league and I am not going to praise them until they start winning more than 4/5 games a season

12 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Yes I agree and realize that injuries happen to every team. But you also have to recognize that some teams deal with a higher degree of injuries than others. For example, do we hear much lately of key Patriots players getting injured? I can't remember the last time a key Patriot player was lost for multiple weeks, aside from Gronk who is basically injury prone in my eyes. I guess we'll see how long Dwayne Allen can stay healthy there. If he does stay healthy, I think it says something about how our conditioning and field conditions are. 

Going back to the Titans, their starting OL stayed healthy all year, which played a huge role as to why they were one of the best. 

1 hour ago, indyagent17 said:

It not not correct to say that Tennessee and Jacksonville have better rosters. Tennessee was up and down all season and we have beaten them 11 times in a row. Jacksonville is perennially one of the worst team in the league and I am not going to praise them until they start winning more than 4/5 games a season

We're beating Tennessee because of the difference of Andrew Luck vs. Marus Mariotta.      That's it.

The rest of the roster favors Tennessee, or Jacksonville,  and easily Texas.

I wouldn't say our roster is terrible,  I think it's much better than last year's roster....    much better....    I really like Ballard's off-season moves.....      but we still have a ways to go....

Luck is the difference maker.

I think the whole 'this team is only Luck and has no talent otherwise' angle is way overblown, for sure. And I think, in general, the coaching staff did a good job in Luck's absence in 2015 to go 6-3 with below average QBing. 

But the roster isn't impressive, and the backup QB we have now doesn't inspire confidence or even slight optimism, and based on how the coaching staff performs when Luck is on the field, I don't see them doing anything great without him.

If Luck missed the season, this is a 4-5 win team, IMO. If he misses the first month, I would expect us to go 1-3 with Tolzien, and I'd be thrilled with anything better.

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

We're beating Tennessee because of the difference of Andrew Luck vs. Marus Mariotta.      That's it.

The rest of the roster favors Tennessee, or Jacksonville,  and easily Texas.

I wouldn't say our roster is terrible,  I think it's much better than last year's roster....    much better....    I really like Ballard's off-season moves.....      but we still have a ways to go....

Luck is the difference maker.

Agree to disagree big time

5 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

Agree to disagree big time

You're a Colts fan.     I'd expect that.

Just as fans of the other three AFC South teams would argue for their team.

But, as I noted above,  any impartial fan would put the Colts last.     That's why the media is mostly down on the Colts.      We have one big-time difference maker......    Andrew Luck.      He covers up a lot of problems.

In 2012 a new gm had around 35 new players on this team and a rookie qb and went 11-5, so what is all the complaining about this year? the dallas cowsucks were a below .500 team in 2015, put 2 rookies on the field and won 13 games last season, so why can't this team win 13 this year? Is it because all the media jacks say they can't? This team isn't that bad.

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You're a Colts fan.     I'd expect that.

Just as fans of the other three AFC South teams would argue for their team.

But, as I noted above,  any impartial fan would put the Colts last.     That's why the media is mostly down on the Colts.      We have one big-time difference maker......    Andrew Luck.      He covers up a lot of problems.

The last two years, the Colts were decimated with injuries to key players. Even Vonte was not healthy, going against Brown. 

Truth is, nobody really knows how good (or bad) this roster is, we don't even know the final 53 yet. I'm hoping the injured players get back and the team gels. Don't know why some consider that unrealistic. 

7 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Yes I agree and realize that injuries happen to every team. But you also have to recognize that some teams deal with a higher degree of injuries than others. For example, do we hear much lately of key Patriots players getting injured? I can't remember the last time a key Patriot player was lost for multiple weeks, aside from Gronk who is basically injury prone in my eyes. I guess we'll see how long Dwayne Allen can stay healthy there. If he does stay healthy, I think it says something about how our conditioning and field conditions are. 

Going back to the Titans, their starting OL stayed healthy all year, which played a huge role as to why they were one of the best. 

That returns to the team.  Maybe Irsay didn't do all of his research when looking at what facilities to install when building Lucas Oil Stadium, resulting in the current turf being one that can easily injure players.  Maybe the coaching are teaching poor technique that leaves players prone to injuries.  Maybe the strength and conditioning coach/program are using outdated methods.  Regardless of whether it's that we can't overcome injuries or that we have more injuries than other teams, I think the blame returns to the team.  If you want to be recognized as a good or great team, you need to overcome those things and win, regardless of what else is going on

16 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

I love T.Y., like Moncrief, but honestly, I would take the Allen Robinson, Allen Hurns, Marquise Lee, Dede Westbrook group any day over ours. And their dline too. Malick Jackson, Campbell, Fowler, Ngakogue. Hankins is good - and ours best -, but I'm not sure he is more talented, than the least talented of those Jags 4....

The Colts have a long way to go, sadly. Not that it can't be done within reasonable time. For the Hawks, it took one exceptionally good draft to make themselves a contender. One exceptional draft and 2 years to wait until they develop...

I get that a player has to have the talent even if they are a backup...but I'm dang sure that if we swapped rosters with the patriots (in terms of backup players) we still would stink...pretty sure belichick would be able to utilize our backups better than we can...just my theory.