Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What if OJ Howard falls to us?

Orenthal James? :)

Would you do it at 15, though it is completely not at a position of immediate need?

My gut says to trade down ASAP, because someone will want him. I also would have no qualms if we pick him at 15, given that he has better potential than Jimmy Graham and would be an instant 10 yards and red zone target on every play.

Think of is this way - would you trade a 1st rounder for Jimmy Graham on a rookie contract?

guess im one of the few who wont be mad if we get a great offensive player in the first round.

the defensive still needs more help, but it already wont resemble the one we put on the field last year.  our second and third round picks can still go towards that.

21 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

If that happened. Then he will be a Colt....   not my choice but he would most likely be BPA

Thats what Ballard said, BPA over need.  So I guess if he falls to us and we pass, then he wasn't BPA on our board.  

If if we do go Offense I hope it's either him or McCaffrey.

58 minutes ago, Samu-Rye said:

Realistically, BPA and need have to intersect at some point. I dont see the Colts ending up with Watson or Trubisky, if they are there and are BPA.

they wont be bpa though, not in the first

neither is top 15

3 hours ago, rock8591 said:

Would you do it at 15, though it is completely not at a position of immediate need?

My gut says to trade down ASAP, because someone will want him. I also would have no qualms if we pick him at 15, given that he has better potential than Jimmy Graham and would be an instant 10 yards and red zone target on every play.

Think of is this way - would you trade a 1st rounder for Jimmy Graham on a rookie contract?

Jimmy isn't even that good give me a healthy gronk or tony Gonzales type of TE

If O.J.Howard falls to us, then we also look at other players who have fallen to us if they are of similar value. I just find it difficult to believe that all of Reuben Foster, Haason Reddick, Gareon Conley would all be gone in that situation. If he does fall, it is likely he is not rated as high on other GMs' boards, in which case it wouldn't surprise me if he is not rated as high on Ballard's as well.

I look at it like, how much can the player of similar value upgrade his position for the Colts? How much can Reddick or Foster upgrade the ILB position over how much Howard can upgrade the TE position? I think the answer is pretty obvious then. 

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

If O.J.Howard falls to us, then we also look at other players who have fallen to us if they are of similar value. I just find it difficult to believe that all of Reuben Foster, Haason Reddick, Gareon Conley would all be gone in that situation. If he does fall, it is likely he is not rated as high on other GMs' boards, in which case it wouldn't surprise me if he is not rated as high on Ballard's as well.

I look at it like, how much can the player of similar value upgrade his position for the Colts? How much can Reddick or Foster upgrade the ILB position over how much Howard can upgrade the TE position? I think the answer is pretty obvious then. 

Well we can say the same thing about Foster, Reddick and Conley if they fell.

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

Totally agree. Defense all the way. Get an impact player on D. That will move the ball for this team far more than a TE. 

15 hours ago, rock8591 said:

The improvement we would get from Howard is not great enough to warrant selecting him.

Either pick a defensive player or trade down.

I wouldn't mind getting a developmental guy at TE with one of our 4th round picks though.  But it would be a terrible idea for us to spend our 1st round pick on a TE.  If we're going to do that then why even pay Doyle the money?

12 hours ago, twfish said:

I'm in the minority but I like david njoku slightly more

IMO Njoku is the better prospect. He is only 20 years old and has only played TE for 2 years. He is a ridiculous athlete with 35.5 inch arms and made a bunch of plays the last 2 years. He is improving at a very rapid pace. He was the national high jump champ in hs and recently had a 44.5 max vert which was the 2nd highest ever recorded by the sports science guys. 

My first option would be to trade down but I'm not opposed to selecting him either. There might be a good chance that he's by far the best player available at 15. If the trade down options aren't good enough, I'd take him.

And I want to trade down more because of the depth of the draft, there should be plenty of good options available at 2nd round, and not sure there's that big difference between pick at 15 and early 20s (if there is, just take the guy.. OJ Howard arguably is that).

Only positions I'd completely rule out at 1st are QB and RB. I'm open to picking offensive player, though the preference is on D.

11 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Well we can say the same thing about Foster, Reddick and Conley if they fell.

True but then you will at least have several players of similar value to give us options to examine the need to value intersection possibly, IMO.