Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

DB & Safety - FA

AustexColt

A reminder.....

Currently,   we only have 7 draft picks spread over the first 5 rounds.

We have at least one,  if not two offensive needs.....     RB & OL.

But on the defensive side,  we have no shortage of needs....

CB (x2)   OLB,  ILB,   NT,   S

Thats 6 needs on defense......     at some point,  something has got to give....     either we pass on a need,  or we acquire another draft pick to address it.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

A reminder.....

Thats 6 needs on defense......     at some point,  something has got to give....     either we pass on a need,  or we acquire another draft pick to address it.

Maybe we can draft a player that can do Double Duty(play 2 positions).

Peppers might play 4 positions, S, OLB, RB, CB.....and maybe sell peanuts & popcorn at halftime. But only on home games, so he won't be overworked. haha

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

A reminder.....

Maybe they will be ok on the O-line, ILB and Safety. If that is the case, that leaves 5 or 6. People may be assuming the players returning aren't starters but that's pretty hard to assess now, considering some were injured and some were rookies.

15 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

A reminder.....

Or we accept that it is totally unrealistic to completely address and fix this defense in one off-season.... Rome wasnt built in a day etc etc.

15 hours ago, AustexColt said:

Chuck Pagano was a DB guru and so he should know if he has an empty cupboard when it comes to DB and Safeties. Intuitively, I think the Colts will wait for the draft. There were alot of past drafts that went to IR.

You aren't gonna address all issues in one year, they're going to try and address what they can based on their board and who is available.

I was a little nervous about Green and Geathers as the starters at S after Adams left, but with Butler back at safety, I am comfortable with our S position.  For now.  I wouldn't mind another good one for depth.

CB on the other hand... we can't find enough new bodies to bring into camp for the CB position battles.  I wouldn't normally want a FA CB, but we need a CB2, CB3, and CB4.  Ballard has been making good deals so far, and should find an affordable CB to bring in and compete with a high draft pick for the CB2 spot.

I hope Ballard just hands Chuck a whole platoon of CBs and says "Do your thing DB whisperer."

On 3/22/2017 at 5:33 PM, NewColtsFan said:

A reminder.....

I think everyone knows this team will not be fixed overnight. By week 1 we will have 53 players on the roster and players at all the positions. We may not like the starters but we will have them. It took us like 5 years to get here let's give Ballard a few years to get us out.

18 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think everyone knows this team will not be fixed overnight. By week 1 we will have 53 players on the roster and players at all the positions. We may not like the starters but we will have them. It took us like 5 years to get here let's give Ballard a few years to get us out.

You know this.       I know this.

But EVERYONE here knows this?!?

No.   I don't think so.    There are a number of posters who have no idea that it will take more than one year.    

I know this only because they make their posts that say "if we make THIS move and then THAT move,  and draft THIS guy and THAT guy,  then we'll be back competing for the Super Bowl this season!"

These posters are the Usual Suspects.    They're convinced that we're not as bad off as we are,  and if Ballard would ONLY listen to them and make the moves they want to make then it's Happy Days are Here Again!!

Hey,  I've stated that if things go well,  I think we can win the AFC South and maybe even a playoff game.   But that I wouldn't expect a deep run because our defense won't be good enough in one year.    But some fans here don't want to read that and they believe what they believe....

Call me crazy but I'm a little surprised Ballard didnt give a small one year deal or something to a guy like Dee Milliner. Probably the injury history I guess. Performance wise his first couple years were similar to Kareem Jackson as far as getting beat. Kareem eventually got it together though. Wonder if Dee could turn it around? At least as a nickel back maybe.

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You know this.       I know this.

But EVERYONE here knows this?!?

No.   I don't think so.    There are a number of posters who have no idea that it will take more than one year.    

I know this only because they make their posts that say "if we make THIS move and then THAT move,  and draft THIS guy and THAT guy,  then we'll be back competing for the Super Bowl this season!"

These posters are the Usual Suspects.    They're convinced that we're not as bad off as we are,  and if Ballard would ONLY listen to them and make the moves they want to make then it's Happy Days are Here Again!!

Hey,  I've stated that if things go well,  I think we can win the AFC South and maybe even a playoff game.   But that I wouldn't expect a deep run because our defense won't be good enough in one year.    But some fans here don't want to read that and they believe what they believe....

Interesting point of view. I have two problems with it:                                           1. Historically, teams that have had bad years have made turnarounds in one year and were in the SB (Carolina, Denver, Atlanta).                                                        2. Ask Ballard, Pagano, Irsay or any of the coaches or players if their goal this year is to "win the division and maybe one playoff game" and see what response you get. If it takes more than one year, so be it. There's no reason to believe it CAN'T happen this year. 

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 6:33 PM, NewColtsFan said:

A reminder.....

I assume you are being facetious.  7 needs +7 draft picks does not = a whole team.  picking up an extra pick doesn't mean they will be complete.  No team is complete and perfect.  And if they get 3 starters out of this draft that will be a great draft.  Let's hope one is an pass rusher and one is a CB. 

1 hour ago, coltsfeva said:

Interesting point of view. I have two problems with it:                                           1. Historically, teams that have had bad years have made turnarounds in one year and were in the SB (Carolina, Denver, Atlanta).                                                        2. Ask Ballard, Pagano, Irsay or any of the coaches or players if their goal this year is to "win the division and maybe one playoff game" and see what response you get. If it takes more than one year, so be it. There's no reason to believe it CAN'T happen this year. 

I've made that same post here on this website many times.     

It is POSSIBLE?       Yes.    Sure.

I think the NFL had a recent streak of 8 or 9 years where a team finished last in it's division and then the next season they won their division.     So, I think it IS possible.

But,  I'm not sure if that streak also included a deep run into the playoffs.    I can't speak to that,  but off the top of my head,   I don't think so,  but I could be wrong.

As to front office,  coaches,  and players?     I get that too....    those people have a different mindset.    They're shooting for the Super Bowl.    They have to have huge buy-in.   They're heavily invested.     But at some point,  reality sets in, and things  become apparent.

I think if a fan here wants to believe the Colts have a decent shot at the playoffs,  that's their right,   I don't want to spoil it for them.....   but I don't share that viewpoint,  and if asked in the course of a thread discussion,  I'll share my point of view.      I don't mean to be a killjoy,  I'm just offering a different perspective.

Some people here like it....   others here, well,  not so much.     And I respect both sides....

I think we'll be likely to draft some pretty quality ball players out of this draft with the bulk of our picks coming between the 1st and the 4th round. And those picks are top 15 in each round.  Should be able to fill out the secondary and add some good pieces to the front 7.    I don't see any reason why we can't field a better defense than last years group. Shaving off some of those points we allowed last year will do much to help our win loss totals.  I don't think it needs to be a top ten defensive unit.    Especially if we protect our QB better this year and get more use out of the ground game on offense.      

1 hour ago, Fluke_33 said:

I assume you are being facetious.  7 needs +7 draft picks does not = a whole team.  picking up an extra pick doesn't mean they will be complete.  No team is complete and perfect.  And if they get 3 starters out of this draft that will be a great draft.  Let's hope one is an pass rusher and one is a CB. 

I'm not being facetious....     I listed 8 needs with 7 draft picks.     And by the way,  I think I was being generous in listing so few needs.

And I've never suggested that even filling all those needs is going to make us complete, or a whole team.

In fact, quite the opposite.     I'm the guy here who bangs the drum for patience,  that we're not going to fix all our problems and be able to address all our needs in one off-season.  

Welcome to the website.....     Hope you enjoy it....

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

reI know this only because they make their posts that say "if we make THIS move and then THAT move,  and draft THIS guy and THAT guy,  then we'll be back competing for the Super Bowl this season!"

I have NO idea who those posters are.....definitely not COLTS449. :D

6 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Do some really think we have a shot at Conley in the 2nd if it were to happen I would cry tears of joy haha

Conley is a guy that I could see going anywhere from mid 1st round to mid 2nd round. It all depends on if a team likes what he brings to the table. I think his 4.44 40 at the combine really helped him, because his long speed was one of the questions most talking heads had about him. For a press-man defense, I think he'd be solid.

37 minutes ago, Shive said:

I have NO idea who those posters are.....definitely not COLTS449. :D

Conley is a guy that I could see going anywhere from mid 1st round to mid 2nd round. It all depends on if a team likes what he brings to the table. I think his 4.44 40 at the combine really helped him, because his long speed was one of the questions most talking heads had about him. For a press-man defense, I think he'd be solid.

I was thinking it was jshipp haha

And yeah I was getting the feeling that he was too good to go to us in the second especially with all these damn injuries to the CBs 

7 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I was thinking it was jshipp haha

And yeah I was getting the feeling that he was too good to go to us in the second especially with all these damn injuries to the CBs 

Him too! lmao

It's still possible, but with Jones & Moreau's injuries, it definitely makes him more likely to go higher. I wouldn't mind him at all in the 2nd though.

Just now, Shive said:

Him too! lmao

It's still possible, but with Jones & Moreau's injuries, it definitely makes him more likely to go higher. I wouldn't mind him at all in the 2nd though.

Yeah I'd love him in the 2nd too but I think he will jump no and screw up my plan lol 

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm not being facetious....     I listed 8 needs with 7 draft picks.     And by the way,  I think I was being generous in listing so few needs.

And I've never suggested that even filling all those needs is going to make us complete, or a whole team.

In fact, quite the opposite.     I'm the guy here who bangs the drum for patience,  that we're not going to fix all our problems and be able to address all our needs in one off-season.  

Welcome to the website.....     Hope you enjoy it....

ty!  I do need my football fix and this seems like a viable place.

Maybe I misread your point.  My point was that the number of needs and number of draft picks don't necessarily equate to good football.  you can have 1 need and 10 picks that don't change that need or....here's my hope.... you can have 7 needs on D and one pass rusher that makes those needs seem irrelevant. 

59 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

ty!  I do need my football fix and this seems like a viable place.

Maybe I misread your point.  My point was that the number of needs and number of draft picks don't necessarily equate to good football.  you can have 1 need and 10 picks that don't change that need or....here's my hope.... you can have 7 needs on D and one pass rusher that makes those needs seem irrelevant. 

Yes,  you can.....

But in the case of the 2017 Colts,   i don't think we're in that situation.

As I have preached to those who post....  "We should do whatever we have to do to get THAT guy!"     I say to those posters,   "No,  not yet.    Because we are NOT one great player away from a good defense."     In fact,  i'd say we're not one player away from an average defense.       We are seriously hurting on that side of the ball.   And since we have so many needs on D,   we need all the resources (picks)  that we can get/use....

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes,  you can.....

But in the case of the 2017 Colts,   i don't think we're in that situation.

As I have preached to those who post....  "We should do whatever we have to do to get THAT guy!"     I say to those posters,   "No,  not yet.    Because we are NOT one great player away from a good defense."     In fact,  i'd say we're not one player away from an average defense.       We are seriously hurting on that side of the ball.   And since we have so many needs on D,   we need all the resources (picks)  that we can get/use....

I agree with that whole heartedly. 

I fully expect the Colts to take 1-2 CB's in the draft. I think they're set at safety for this season having Green, Geathers and Butler and another possible backup. I think they draft two corners and maybe pluck one out of the free agent market. I can't really see Ballard making a trade before the season starts.