Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brandon Boykin available again!

When Philly traded away Boykin to Pitt last year for a 5th I believe, I thought Pitt. got a great deal, one we should of thought about. According to the story, Boykin is once again looking for work. Pitt did not resign him, and Carolina released him. Could Chuck be the one to revitalize him? He is only 25, and Butler is not a long term answer for the slot. Thoughts? Link below:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/panthers-release-brandon-boykin-two-months-after-signing-him/

3 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Pittsburg and Panthers are secondary thin, yet he didn't stick with the Steelers, and never played a game for Carolina?  Huge red flag there...  and I feel it has very little to do with playing ability for some reason.

No thank you.

I get that same feeling even though I cant find anything publically said why from any one of the teams.

3 hours ago, Dustin said:

I'll take him. One of the best slot corners in the league. 

It has to be something besides football as to why he has been with 3 teams in 10 months. I am sure coaches and GMs talk to each other but not to the media. Till we know the facts of why, beware is the best policy. There are things that go on behind closed doors we don't know about till it's over and done.

16 hours ago, loudnproudcolt said:

When Philly traded away Boykin to Pitt last year for a 5th I believe, I thought Pitt. got a great deal, one we should of thought about. According to the story, Boykin is once again looking for work. Pitt did not resign him, and Carolina released him. Could Chuck be the one to revitalize him? He is only 25, and Butler is not a long term answer for the slot. Thoughts? Link below:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/panthers-release-brandon-boykin-two-months-after-signing-him/

Barring injury, players at his position would be one of the LAST things we need.

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

Barring injury, players at his position would be one of the LAST things we need.

I'm not sure about Boykin, if a team signs a guy as a free agent and then releases him before training camp even starts there is something wrong there.  But I disagree about the a slot corner being one of the last things the Colts need, I think they desperately need a good third corner.  I'm not a fan of Butler and I'm hoping Smith can fill that role.  Or have Smith on the outside and use Robinson in the slot.  But it was a weakness for the Colts last year and all that they have right now is unknowns.

43 minutes ago, ar1888 said:

I'm pretty sure Robert Turbin is on his 3rd team in less then 10 months 

OK, here's the story on Boykin.

The Panthers signed Boykin to a 1 year deal worth $840,000, including a signing bonus of $80,000, at the end of March.

The Panthers currently have Bené Benwikere, a third-year corner that is recovering from surgery to repair a broken leg suffered late last season.  Carolina added another cornerback Monday when they signed Shaq Richardson, who tried out for the team at rookie minicamp over the weekend. They drafted James Bradberry, Daryl Worley, and Zack Sanchez with their second, third, and fifth-round selections in last month’s draft. Bradberry and Worley will compete at outside corner while Sanchez will play nickel.

At the end of minicamp, Riverboat Ron Rivera sent Boykin packing; less than 2 months after signing him. So Boykin can't beat out any of those Rookies? Or is the issue something else?  I believe it is likely the latter.

So what's the story on Turbin?

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Turbin has started a few games but he has never been considered a starter. Boykin has so I don't see the comparison as legit.

Neither would be expected to start for the Colts barring injury. There is your comparison. That's my point, it doesn't matter. It didn't matter for Turbin, it shouldn't matter for Boykin.

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Turbin is in the camp body category at this point. Boykin would get playing time. Is that a little clearer?

If Turbin is a camp body, then I assume you see every running back not named Gore on our roster as a camp body?

I'm not suggesting Turbin is untouchable, clearly he's not, but its just as clear that he's a front runner for the number 2 job right now.

1 hour ago, ztboiler said:

If Turbin is a camp body, then I assume you see every running back not named Gore on our roster as a camp body?

I'm not suggesting Turbin is untouchable, clearly he's not, but its just as clear that he's a front runner for the number 2 job right now.

Why do you assume anything with my thoughts? There are 4 other RBs besides Turbin behind Gore. Till one of those come in a takes the 2nd spot they are all in question as to where they will land or even be on the team. Full training camp and pre season hasn't even started yet so there is nothing set as to who has what position.

Starting to look like Boykin has some big off the field stuff going on. We don't need the headache. We do need a better slot CB.

Butler gave up a 118 passer rating in the slot last year. He can't play outside. Doesn't bring much to special teams. He should not even make the roster.  Hopefully we have the players to send him packing. 

I agree the we hard horrible play in the slot last year.  Supposedly Smith Robinson and Mitchel can play the slot. We know Robinson will begin outside opposite Davis. Ideally Smith will be the one to  beat out Butler. 

I think we have a good shot at dumping Butler. Again he no use outside. I'm looking at Davis Robinson Smith Brown taking 4 spots. The 5th CB will come down to Butler. Mitchel, Glover-Wright, the dark horse Milton. 

I wouid love to see Milton win the spot. The kid is a ST ace. He had 7 blocked kicks at Tech. He probably ends up on the PS. He played S at GT before transitioning to CB.

One would think if it is close with Butler we give the young guy the nod on up side alone. We got more out of Butler than many expected. I saw enough last year. This is all assuming Smith comes out ready to play. 

A solid slot corner who's allowed 1 td in the last 2 years and hasn't been beaten for anything longer than 33 yards in that same timespan but no doubt there is something we don't know about behind the scenes

5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Why do you assume anything with my thoughts? There are 4 other RBs besides Turbin behind Gore. Till one of those come in a takes the 2nd spot they are all in question as to where they will land or even be on the team. Full training camp and pre season hasn't even started yet so there is nothing set as to who has what position.

There are 6 backs on the roster.  3 of them are over 200 pounds.  1 of them is Gore, 1 of them was on IR for head trauma lasting 4+ months.  The other is Turbin.  Turbin has played some meaningful NFL snaps.  Follow the storyline...Turbin is your #2 back right now.

29 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

There are 6 backs on the roster.  3 of them are over 200 pounds.  1 of them is Gore, 1 of them was on IR for head trauma lasting 4+ months.  The other is Turbin.  Turbin has played some meaningful NFL snaps.  Follow the storyline...Turbin is your #2 back right now.

No one is # anything at this point except Gore as the starter. That is what training camp and pre season is for. To determine who is #2 thru #5. There is no storyline. The story line hasn't played out yet. He may be listed at the #2 spot as far as a depth chart but nothing is solid. If that was the case then why have training camp or pre season to determine the answers? On a side note-what does weight have to do with it?

50 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

No one is # anything at this point except Gore as the starter. That is what training camp and pre season is for. To determine who is #2 thru #5. There is no storyline. The story line hasn't played out yet. He may be listed at the #2 spot as far as a depth chart but nothing is solid. If that was the case then why have training camp or pre season to determine the answers? On a side note-what does weight have to do with it?

To the bolded...you are kidding right? 

Yes, there is plenty of story yet to play out.  True, we have no RB other than Gore that has draft position, or contract position to indicate status.  Turbin is guaranteed nothing...but if you are going to ignore the storyline to date, post draft and post free agency and in the middle of OTA's, then you are doing so to simply support your assertion that Turbin fits your definition of a camp body.

2 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

To the bolded...you are kidding right? 

Yes, there is plenty of story yet to play out.  True, we have no RB other than Gore that has draft position, or contract position to indicate status.  Turbin is guaranteed nothing...but if you are going to ignore the storyline to date, post draft and post free agency and in the middle of OTA's, then you are doing so to simply support your assertion that Turbin fits your definition of a camp body.

Talent level plays a lot more into a RB than weight. There have been RBs that have weighed as say as much as 175 lbs. just like there have been successful RBs that have weight upwards of 250 lbs. Ignore the story line to date? What are you even talking about. The depth position will be determined throughout training camp and pre season. That is the only story line if you want to use that term. Are you saying a RB that weighs 200 pounds don't have the talent to be a running back?  You are making this a lot harder that it needs to be. Why?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/steelers-probably-had-instinct-brandon-125957806.html

Tackling and not knowing the D listed as possible reasons with the Steelers.  Didn't get along with Kelly in Philly, but as we've learned, that's apparently not uncommon.  It would appear he has issues being coached, and issues wanting to get dirty and tackle.  In a pass-happy league where DB talent is always sought, it speaks volumes that he's bounced around...

26 minutes ago, MSColtsFan said:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/steelers-probably-had-instinct-brandon-125957806.html

Tackling and not knowing the D listed as possible reasons with the Steelers.  Didn't get along with Kelly in Philly, but as we've learned, that's apparently not uncommon.  It would appear he has issues being coached, and issues wanting to get dirty and tackle.  In a pass-happy league where DB talent is always sought, it speaks volumes that he's bounced around...

Interesting article. It seems the teams he has played for are being mum on what the problem is. So far Kelly, Tomlin and Rivera haven't discussed what any problems were but IMO there has to be some sort of negative thing. I guess it's up to Boykin himself to make the changes it takes to be on a team. If he cant be coached and refuses to do what is best for a team I don't want him with the Colts. He does have talent but that is of no use if he chooses not to be a part of working together in a system. Part of being a good player is letting the coaches do their job by listening to them and making yourself a better player. I think we all know that.

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

And that's pretty much exactly what ztboiler said.  Turbin is your #2 back RIGHT NOW.  Of course that can change, as you said that's why there's training camp.  There can, however, still be a depth chart setup going into Training camp while knowing that anything can change on that depth chart based on the results of TC and preseason.

53 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

And that's pretty much exactly what ztboiler said.  Turbin is your #2 back RIGHT NOW.  Of course that can change, as you said that's why there's training camp.  There can, however, still be a depth chart setup going into Training camp while knowing that anything can change on that depth chart based on the results of TC and preseason.

This was stated in the context of a whole discussion.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Talent level plays a lot more into a RB than weight. There have been RBs that have weighed as say as much as 175 lbs. just like there have been successful RBs that have weight upwards of 250 lbs. Ignore the story line to date? What are you even talking about. The depth position will be determined throughout training camp and pre season. That is the only story line if you want to use that term. Are you saying a RB that weighs 200 pounds don't have the talent to be a running back?  You are making this a lot harder that it needs to be. Why?

You are ignoring that we've just gone through the heart of roster construction season and, as constructed, 3 of the RBs on our roster are not backs you would turn to to carry a high workload if Gore goes down.  That's the storyline you are ignoring.  

Its a position of great competition on our roster, and there will likely be RB's involved in the rest of the story not currently on our roster.  But, as currently designed, Turbin is the back who would carry the load if Gore goes down.  Nobody is making that harder than it has to be....its simply the way it is.

2 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

You are ignoring that we've just gone through the heart of roster construction season and, as constructed, 3 of the RBs on our roster are not backs you would turn to to carry a high workload if Gore goes down.  That's the storyline you are ignoring.  

Its a position of great competition on our roster, and there will likely be RB's involved in the rest of the story not currently on our roster.  But, as currently designed, Turbin is the back who would carry the load if Gore goes down.  Nobody is making that harder than it has to be....its simply the way it is.

You have yet to know what these RBs can and cant do. That is the purpose of training camp and pre season. I am not ignoring anything. You seem to think because there is a depth list that that is the way things are going to be. You cant say for certain who is going to work out. Done. No more.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 7:25 AM, crazycolt1 said:
On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 9:59 AM, crazycolt1 said:

Interesting article. It seems the teams he has played for are being mum on what the problem is. So far Kelly, Tomlin and Rivera haven't discussed what any problems were but IMO there has to be some sort of negative thing. I guess it's up to Boykin himself to make the changes it takes to be on a team. If he cant be coached and refuses to do what is best for a team I don't want him with the Colts. He does have talent but that is of no use if he chooses not to be a part of working together in a system. Part of being a good player is letting the coaches do their job by listening to them and making yourself a better player. I think we all know that.

I get that same feeling even though I cant find anything publically said why from any one of the teams.

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2016/6/5/11860992/brandon-boykin-injury-rumor-nfl-degenerative-hip-free-agent-cornerback-eagles-steelers-panthers?hl=1&noRedirect=1

Seems as if he may have a bad hip