Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I can't dislike Russell Wilson after this letter

chad72

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/russell-wilson-peyton-manning-superbowl/

Russell Wilson, more than anyone else, has the greatest chance among existing QBs to win 3 SBs, IMO. One, he has a very elite team that will be a contender year in and year out. Two, that dude is a leader, it takes 60 minutes to take him and the Seahawks down typically.

50 minutes ago, Pagano's Realtor said:

Russell Wilson will do or say anything that could possibly enhance his marketability by even a penny.

Are you lambasting [ridiculing] RW for that or merely praising him for getting his slice of capitalistic pie PR? 

I don't care either way. It's just that I can't get a handle on your tone. Is it sincere, sarcastic, or both? 

All the best QBs possess a politician personality in some capacity. Translation: They know just what to say & when to say it with poise, polish, & panache in their voice. 

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Russell Wilson, more than anyone else, has the greatest chance among existing QBs to win 3 SBs, IMO. One, he has a very elite team that will be a contender year in and year out. Two, that dude is a leader, it takes 60 minutes to take him and the Seahawks down typically.

The 1 thing I will say that has surprised me about RW is this: When he got his $20 million dollar a yr contract, he raised his level of play when Pete Carroll & their GM had to start cutting players lose. This past season shocked even me & I saw all his college home games @ Camp Randall in Madison, WI

But getting back to the subject at hand, RW is a classy guy so his praise of Peyton Manning feels genuine & true. Mostly, I just like RW because he reminds of Doug Flutie & he's so nice that he's impossible to root against. 

2 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

The 1 thing I will say that has surprised me about RW is this: When he got his $20 million dollar a yr contract, he raised his level of play when Peter Carroll & their GM had to start cutting players lose. This past season shocked even me & I saw all his college home games @ Camp Randall in Madison, WI

But getting back to the subject at hand, RW is a classy guy so his praise of Peyton Manning feels genuine & true. Mostly, I just like RW because he reminds of Doug Flutie & he's so nice that he's impossible to root against. 

To me, he is versatile enough to lead with his arm and legs, and will eventually be a stabilizing force for that team. Right now, their offensive identity is RW and his arm, now that Lynch is gone. We will see a Seahawks team that will be difficult to beat if they keep their defensive nucleus together and build on their offensive chemistry we saw the latter part of the season.

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

To me, he is versatile enough to lead with his arm and legs, and will eventually be a stabilizing force for that team. Right now, their offensive identity is RW and his arm, now that Lynch is gone. We will see a Seahawks team that will be difficult to beat if they keep their defensive nucleus together and build on their offensive chemistry we saw the latter part of the season.

Good point Chad. Losing Lynch in the locker room will not be easy to replace. It's more of a team chemistry thing than a field production thing to me. Plus, AZ is for real as long as Carson Palmer is in the Southwest region with HC Bruce Arians & a healthy Tyrann Mathieu in their secondary. 

24 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Are you lambasting [ridiculing] RW for that or merely praising him for getting his slice of capitalistic pie PR? 

I don't care either way. It's just that I can't get a handle on your tone. Is it sincere, sarcastic, or both? 

All the best QBs possess a politician personality in some capacity. Translation: They know just what to say & when to say it with poise, polish, & panache in their voice. 

A little bit of both. I understand being PC when your in the spotlight, but he seems almost robotic when he speaks and he is always in "pitch mode" like some PC, real life, football playing version of Don Draper. It makes it hard for me to relate to him, but it has brought me some good laughs over the years.

http://deadspin.com/russell-wilson-googled-how-to-describe-a-beautiful-wom-1755727770

http://deadspin.com/russell-wilson-is-a-synthetic-lifeform-1726746964

Just out of curiosity Chad given the title of this thread, does that mean you weren't fond of RW before his poetic tribute to the 'Sheriff' himself?

Like say if a Dallas Cowboys player said something nice about my Colts. I'd be like aw man, I'm supposed to detest your franchise since my birth but now an elite Cowboys player praised Luck or Mathis so I have to say thank you now. Grr! Just Kidding! But not really. haha

I'm not doubting your sincerity Chad I'm just in a sarcastic mood right now. My problem; not yours. 

39 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

For some reason, I can't quote Pagano Realtor's post. Anyway, thanks for sharing those Dead Spin links. The line: "They never fail to be the most savage things you’ve ever seen in your life" referring to RW's romantic responses to his fiancee as 'Savage" was pretty darn funny! 

18 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

Maybe I'm out of the loop,  but what's wrong with macklemore? Did he say or do something controversial? 

From what I know, have heard, and seen, he gets a lot of flak for being more of a pop artist than a pure rapper. And yes he has done some controversial things with his performances and music.

Personally, I haven't really followed him that much. I've stayed out of the newer music scene for awhile now... 

1 hour ago, QwizBoy said:

I don't think there's ever been a reason not to like Russell Wilson. Unless you're a Broncos or 49ers fan lol.

Sometimes, RW wears his religious beliefs on his sleeve too much for some NFL fans liking. 

I don't take issue with it that much since it's part of his DNA & who he is. But, yes RW is almost impossible not to like as a player or a nice person. 

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

Sometimes, RW wears his religious beliefs on his sleeve too much for some NFL fans liking. 

I don't take issue with it that much since it's part of his DNA & who he is. But, yes RW is almost impossible not to like as a player or a nice person. 

Ah I see. Yeah it's a part of who he is like you said, can't fault him for that. 

3 hours ago, The Peytonator said:

23 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Gigantic dooosh 

I didn't even know that Macklemore was a singer/performer. I just figured he was a paid actor to act as RW's alter ego in that headphones commercial. Can you tell that I'm not well versed in rap musicians or care for that genre very much? LOL! 

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 7:48 PM, chad72 said:

Thanks for posting this,. Chad.

I wont forget how Russell handled his post-game interview when he threw the game-losing interception against the Patriots.

He took the blame....Didnt blame his coach...or luck or anything

Didnt question the play call.

..Took it all on himself....like a leader should.  I;m sure he hated to lose but he answered every question.

He represented his franchise well.

This letter does not surprise me but I didn't see it.

Thanks again for posting it.

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 7:48 PM, chad72 said:

Me too! I really have liked Russell so far. I don't know if he is a genuine person or not I'm sure it will take time to prove that but man that was a classy move. He has been classy in winning and even classy after losing the SB to Tom last year so I got nothing negative to say about the guy. Always see him talking to cancer kids etc.

I know at the time I had a hard time letting Peyton go but back in 2011 I was kinda hoping deep down we would trade the Luck picks for a boat load of picks and build the line up around Peyton and get Russell later in the draft to sit behind Peyton and learn. Don't get me wrong....I'm totally happy with Luck and I'm sure it worked out better for Peyton this way but it was hard for me to let him go...but I loved Russell with Wisconsin and would have been happy with him as our QB.

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 7:54 PM, BOTT said:

He made a commercial for Macklemore, reason for hate right there.

While I don't know who that is I've seen the commercial...don't have a feeling one way or another....and while I love Peyton it definitely is not worse than kissing Papa John guy right after winning the SB!!! Guys gotta make money but man that was TERRIBLE.

20 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Thanks for posting this,. Chad.

I wont forget how Russell handled his post-game interview when he threw the game-losing interception against the Patriots.

He took the blame....Didnt blame his coach...or luck or anything

Didnt question the play call.

..Took it all on himself....like a leader should.  I;m sure he hated to lose but he answered every question.

He represented his franchise well.

This letter does not surprise me but I didn't see it.

Thanks again for posting it.

Great point OUM. RW owned his bad decision in that game & I respect players who don't run for cover when things don't turn out well on game day. 

Exactly, RW knows when to face the music & act dignified even in a loss. RW is a honest, hardworking, classy guy who is always supportive of his coaches, teammates, fans, & organization thru the good times & the lean times. Nothing about RW is artificial. 

Thanks for the sincere words on Peyton Manning's behalf Russell.

18 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Me too! I really have liked Russell so far. I don't know if he is a genuine person or not I'm sure it will take time to prove that but man that was a classy move. He has been classy in winning and even classy after losing the SB to Tom last year so I got nothing negative to say about the guy. Always see him talking to cancer kids etc.

I know at the time I had a hard time letting Peyton go but back in 2011 I was kinda hoping deep down we would trade the Luck picks for a boat load of picks and build the line up around Peyton and get Russell later in the draft to sit behind Peyton and learn. Don't get me wrong....I'm totally happy with Luck and I'm sure it worked out better for Peyton this way but it was hard for me to let him go...but I loved Russell with Wisconsin and would have been happy with him as our QB.

While I don't know who that is I've seen the commercial...don't have a feeling one way or another....and while I love Peyton it definitely is not worse than kissing Papa John guy right after winning the SB!!! Guys gotta make money but man that was TERRIBLE.

Thanks dgm for your complements about RW @ WI & promoting his future success even if he had been drafted by Jimmy & Grigs. 

I'm glad I'm not the only 1 who had no idea who that white guy in that NFL Bose headphones commercial was. I feel better now knowing that I wasn't the only person with no clue that he was a rap artist. SW1 appreciates you saying that more than you know. :thmup:

27 minutes ago, ColtsSouljah said:

That was a classy note and very reflective of how most of the NFL views Peyton.

I'm still not a Wilson fan, but that was cool.

Yeah CS, what makes RW so cool is that he respects his elders, the greats who came before him, wants to glean as much knowledge from them as he can, & writing that Manning letter was just automatic for him out the admiration RW has regarding Peyton's career, his philanthropy off the field, & how much Manning honors the history of this game which Russell wants to emulate completely himself.

How can people really hate Russell Wilson?  Did I hear he does too many endorsements?  Really!?  Most people here love Peyton and he reminds me of Ricky Bobby from Talladega Nights when he does the commercials.  Not a knock on Manning, just honesty.  RW is a top notch QB and he's a classy one.  He didn't walk out of the press conference after the heartbreaking loss to the Patriots last Superbowl.  His team mates absolutely love him and always say what a great leader he is, despite being young.  When the Seahawks played the Colts a few years ago, I said Wilson vs Luck is the Brady vs Manning for the future of the NFL and I still believe that.  But Luck has some catching up to do.  

Back on subject, really classy letter from Russell Wilson and it seems like he learned a lot from Peyton Manning, not only on how to play the game, but how to carry yourself and be a leader.