Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dorsett, Carter, Hodges turning Newsome's head

ColtsFanMikeC

http://www.colts.com/videos/videos/Dorsett-Not-The-Only-Colts-Rookie-Turning-Heads/ff4baf8f-f2dd-4fea-b15d-66fec5aa545e

Andress says in that piece that Phillip Dorsett, Duron Carter, and Zack Hodges are the only 3 guys that Jonathan Newsome has thought have stood out so far.  Good to hear on the WRs and Hodges.  However, I am surprised if Newsome actually said that -- I'm sure others stuck out a bit.  Sounds like Pagano's been impressed with Weathers.

To me this may be a good sign. A sign that Newsome is taking a leadership role, and feeling like he's a big part of the team. Confidence is a great thing. A guy who's fighting for a spot, or a backup wouldn't have made this comment. But its nice Hodges is doing good. Cant have enough pass rushers. But Newsome's about to be recognized around the league this season. Watch.

To me this may be a good sign. A sign that Newsome is taking a leadership role, and feeling like he's a big part of the team. Confidence is a great thing. A guy who's fighting for a spot, or a backup wouldn't have made this comment. But its nice Hodges is doing good. Cant have enough pass rushers. But Newsome's about to be recognized around the league this season. Watch.

Newsome definitely showed signs (especially as a rush LB) last year.  I think it'll be tough for him to have a 3 down role with Walden, Werner, Cole and a healthy Mathis, but I'm sure excited to see what Newsome, Mathis and Cole can do in passing situations -- I hope the coaches find a way to get creative and have them all on the field getting after the QB (and it sounds like Manusky hasn't written Werner off as a rusher yet).  If nothing else, Newsome has two good people to learn from to excel as a rusher in Cole and Mathis, so he should have no excuses to not continue improving. 

Did anyone watch the first interview that Hodges did after he was drafted? I think it may have been after a practice or something? Wow. He seemed like he was SUPER nervous being on camera and his demeanor seemed a bit odd to me when he was asked and answering questions. I'm sure he was just really nervous, I would be too, but wow. I've never heard much of him before but I always root for the under dogs to make it through.

Did anyone watch the first interview that Hodges did after he was drafted? I think it may have been after a practice or something? Wow. He seemed like he was SUPER nervous being on camera and his demeanor seemed a bit odd to me when he was asked and answering questions. I'm sure he was just really nervous, I would be too, but wow. I've never heard much of him before but I always root for the under dogs to make it through.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2015/05/08/zack-hodges-homeless-harvard-colts/27005473/

He has a pretty cool story and seems like an easy guy to root for.

I don't think he was nervous, I just think that's his demeanor. And a lot of athletes, especially young guys, are just uncomfortable speaking with the media.

wow zach hodges is making a name for himself. We most likely will only keep 5 OLB's out of Mathis, Cole, Newsome, Walden, Werner, Hodges so one out of the Walden, Werner, Hodges trio has to go.

And Adongo -- there is a good chance Adongo or Hodges winds up on the practice squad.  Also a good chance Mathis starts the year on the PUP, so could mean Adongo or Hodges gets to start the season on the 53 for the first few weeks.

I know what you are talking about. it struck me as odd as well.

We can always hope for the best and give him a pass for his first locker room interview but, in some way I feel like this subtle behavior/demeanor could have implications in the future.

I have nothing to substantiate this with... it was just an intuitive feeling as I watched him under pressure in front of the cameras.

I like Hodges quite a bit.  He's got a "Nothing will stop me from kicking your butt" type of mentality that I enjoy.

At least that's what I picked up from listening to a couple of his interviews.  When I watched Newsomes interview

he did not hesitate to say he thought Hodges was going to be a really good player. 

I'm thinking he'll wind up on the practice squad. However if everything he's doing now shows up when the pads get put on it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he beat out somebody we thought wouldn't be cut. Grigson made it pretty clear in some of his pre-draft and post draft interviews that if there was a guy at a crowded position who played lights out in the camps, and there was a drafted player who is still trying to be productive but hasn't found it yet, he(Grigson) said he will find a way to make room for that player who is producing.  Even if it's at the expense of the drafted player.

I'm excited to see what happens because I think we need another young pass rusher to go along with Newsome.  If Adongo stays healthy this time around I'd be happy to retain him and Hodges in whatever capacity. 

We can always hope for the best and give him a pass for his first locker room interview but, in some way I feel like this subtle behavior/demeanor could have implications in the future.

I have nothing to substantiate this with... it was just an intuitive feeling as I watched him under pressure in front of the cameras.

What type of implications? Is he going to be the next Aaron Hernandez?

Nah, nothing like that. I just feel like he could end up doing or saying something boneheaded and ruin his opportunity.

I really don't see how you infer that from one interview. Just because the guy doesn't answer every question with the same rhetoric every other player does doesn't mean he's bound to fly off the handle.

This guy went from being homeless to a star football player at Harvard with great grades. Something tells me he knows how to control himself.

i didn't know who Hodges was until after draft and i took a look into him. Also read up that he was high on the Patriots board (Dorsett as well). So i knew he had to have been decent. Im glad he's here in Indy Mathis and Cole don't have many years left so i like the fact they are working on a contingency plan and having him learn behind two of the best!!!

I really don't see how you infer that from one interview. Just because the guy doesn't answer every question with the same rhetoric every other player does doesn't mean he's bound to fly off the handle.

This guy went from being homeless to a star football player at Harvard with great grades. Something tells me he knows how to control himself.

I don't think what MrNLM and I was saying means that Hodges is a bone headed player that may get into trouble later. I didn't mean that at all. I was purely just talking about his demeanor during the interview. I think it was mainly just all nerves with the cameras and recorders in his face. It was just interesting to me when watching the locker room interview with him.  Some of the questions his face looked as if he didn't even understand the question or hear the correct correctly. He acted as if he was a bit mad to be interviewed. But like I said, I think it was just all nerves.

I don't think what MrNLM and I was saying means that Hodges is a bone headed player that may get into trouble later. I didn't mean that at all. I was purely just talking about his demeanor during the interview. I think it was mainly just all nerves with the cameras and recorders in his face. It was just interesting to me when watching the locker room interview with him. Some of the questions his face looked as if he didn't even understand the question or hear the correct correctly. He acted as if he was a bit mad to be interviewed. But like I said, I think it was just all nerves.

I understand. In Hodges' defense, those reports ask some really dumb questions and he did ask one of them to repeat the question because he didn't understand it (as I recall the question was a bit confusing and stupid). I just think it's a bit ridiculous to think he may do something boneheaded from just viewing that interview alone, especially when you consider the guys background.

I understand. In Hodges' defense, those reports ask some really dumb questions and he did ask one of them to repeat the question because he didn't understand it (as I recall the question was a bit confusing and stupid). I just think it's a bit ridiculous to think he may do something boneheaded from just viewing that interview alone, especially when you consider the guys background.

Yeah. We don't know him personally so the only thing we can go on is his schooling background and watching clips of him on the internet. lol I bet he's a really hard worker that has been through thick and thin to get to this point. Everyone should know that he isn't going to stop busting butt now, he has to make a roster spot on this team.

Good to hear. I stand by what I said. No explanation needed really. Sometimes a feeling is just a feeling.

And Adongo -- there is a good chance Adongo or Hodges winds up on the practice squad.  Also a good chance Mathis starts the year on the PUP, so could mean Adongo or Hodges gets to start the season on the 53 for the first few weeks.

The "Dongo Experiment" is probably over...Hodges may very well make the 53.

That's a bold statement from Newsome saying OLBs are the most talented position group on the team.

I would have to say that the recriving corps is by a wide margin. The only way our OLB's are even close to being the most talented is going to weigh heavily on the health of Robert Mathis and that remains to be seen.

I wonder how much longer the Colts will keep working with him.

I hope he makes it, but at some point he has to make the transition

I think this may be his last year to prove it

He is not the Boomstick who is very comfortable before the cameras but what I see is a warrior who despite obstacles most have never known has under great pressure from life succeeded whether he makes the team or not .

IMO this young dude is a Winner who when he hits the field & the pressure in on will shine in his world the only real stability in his life was & is on a football field .

I don't know.  I don't think they would have kept him around so long if they didn't see signs of something.  I still think he's a longshot to make the 53, but I could see him on the PS again.

Newsome definitely showed signs (especially as a rush LB) last year.  I think it'll be tough for him to have a 3 down role with Walden, Werner, Cole and a healthy Mathis, but I'm sure excited to see what Newsome, Mathis and Cole can do in passing situations -- I hope the coaches find a way to get creative and have them all on the field getting after the QB (and it sounds like Manusky hasn't written Werner off as a rusher yet).  If nothing else, Newsome has two good people to learn from to excel as a rusher in Cole and Mathis, so he should have no excuses to not continue improving. 

is mathis really healthy though? I read something a couple weeks ago that said he may not be back until november due to a slight setback in december. could be just a writer trying to get some attention and or bored but I want to make sure. 

Edited by 21isSuperman

I don't know how anyone could have watched that interview and not come away with the same impression.  Especially sense he is, obviously, not dumb. I think it was definitely nerves. And who knows the guy may be a bit of a different cat to begin with. People with his back story are often wired differently then the norm.

I will certainly be rooting for him!