Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Superman's 2015 offseason mock (2.0)

Post tag deadline, so we have a better idea who might be on the move, and who mostly likely won't be. We also know what the cap is.

Starting cap position in 2015: Adjusted cap with rollover of $152.4m, $111.2m committed (including draft picks and all contracts, not just top-51), cap space of $41.2m

Releases

Cherilus, saves $4m in 2015 and $4.1m in 2016 (post-June 1)

Thomas, saves $3.25m in 2015, $3.75m in 2016

Richardson, no savings in 2015 (presumably, potential $3.2m credit in the future)

Cribbs (already a FA, per Spotrac)

Total saved: $7.25m in 2015, $7.85 in 2016, $15.1m total

New cap position in 2015: $104m committed, cap space of $48.4m

Free agent retentions

McNary, ERFA, waive rights

Nixon, ERFA, (waived already)

Herron, ERFA tender, $.585m

Adongo, ERFA tender, $.585m

Pendleton, RFA, waive rights

Overton, RFA, extend, three years, $2.8m, 2015 cap hit of $.85m

Freeman, RFA, extend, three years, $10m, 2015 cap hit of $2.9m

Howell, RFA, no offer

Shipley, RFA tender original round, $1.539m

Gordy, UFA, no offer

Reitz, UFA, extend, two years, $4.75m, 2015 cap hit of $2.25m

Anderson, UFA, no offer

Brown, UFA, one year, $1m (above vet minimum)

Nicks, UFA, no offer

Moala, UFA, no offer

Butler, UFA, no offer

Studebaker, UFA, one year, $870K (vet minimum)

Bradshaw, UFA, no offer

Redding, UFA, one year, $2.5m

Adams, UFA, two years, $6.5m, 2015 cap hit of $3.25m

Wayne, UFA, one year, $2.5m

Hasselbeck, one year, $3m (already done)

Added $21.829m to 2015 cap (added approx $9.7m to 2016 cap, all in non-guaranteed salaries)

New cap position in 2015: $125.8m committed, cap space of $26.6m

Extensions

Castonzo, five years, $40m, $20m guaranteed, 2015 cap hit of $6.5m (2016 cap hit of $7m)

Subtracted $.9m from 2015 cap (added $7m to 2016 cap, guaranteed)

New cap position in 2015: $124.9m committed, cap space of $27.5m

Free agent additions

Da'Norris Searcy, S -- four years, $24m, 2015 cap hit of $4.5m (2016 cap hit of $4.75m)

Nick Fairley, DT -- four years, $27m, 2015 cap hit of $5.5m (2016 cap hit of $5.5m)

Mark Ingram, RB -- three years, $13m, 2015 cap hit of $3.5m (2016 cap hit of 4.25m)

Jason Fox, OT -- two years, $2.5m, 2015 cap hit of $1.25 (2016 cap hit of $1.25m)

Chris Hairston, OT – two years, $2.2m, 2015 cap hit of $1.1m (2016 cap hit of $1.1m)

Added $15.85m to 2015 cap (also added $16.85m to 2016 cap, ~$9m guaranteed)

New cap position in 2015: $140.75m committed, cap space of $11.65m

Draft

1/29: DJ Humphries, OT, Florida, 2015 cap hit of $1.34m; just letting the board talk for me, played left tackle as a senior but could challenge for the starting spot on the right side as a rookie, a winning blocker almost every snap

2/29: Stephone Anthony, ILB, Clemson, 2015 cap hit of $.65m; good size, can support the range, has range and athleticism in coverage, knows how to make blockers miss

3/29: Tyler Lockett, WR, Kansas State, 2015 cap hit of $.57m; no consensus on his draft stock at this point, some have moved him up, some still have him in the 90-100 range; he's an immediate slot producer

4/29: Josh Shaw, CB/S, USC, 2015 cap hit of $.54m; can play 4 positions in the secondary, great athlete, should be higher than this, but had the high profile suspension

5/29: Jeremy Langford, RB, Michigan State, 2015 cap hit of $.48m; smallish but speedy back who can produce as a runner and receiver

6/29: Xzavier Dickson, Edge, Alabama, 2015 cap hit of $.46m; pass rusher in need of refinement, but big guy who can produce

6/31: Tyeler Davison, NT, Fresno State, 2015 cap hit of $.46m; big body who can anchor against the run, not a lot of pass rush

7/28: Jordan Taylor, WR, Rice, 2015 cap hit of $.45m; big receiver with college production

Added $5m to 2015 cap (also added about $6m to 2016 cap, about $.9m guaranteed)

New cap position in 2015: $145.75m, cap space of $6.65m

Go top 51, and you're looking at a cap number of around $138m, plenty of flexibility. And we're still about $50m under the projected cap $150m for 2016.

Couldn't make room for a pass rusher. I tried. I suppose I could make it work with the extra top 51 room, but it gets tight. If you really wanted a guy like Jason Worilds, and he's willing to take $6m/year, then let's make it happen.

Why would you like to see us sign Mark Ingram?

I think that is interesting and I have also thought maybe it would be good to bring him in. Pretty young and hard runner. Has played well against good defenses when given the opportunity. NO never really wanted to give him the job though and have him few chances. Not sure why. I think he would be very productive. Probably better with a zone running scheme though in my opinion but I think a lot of running backs would be better off in a zone scheme.

I feel like you're overpricing both Fairley and Searcy. I would very much like to sign both guys, but not quite at that cost. Even Ingram seems a little too costly for a one dimensional guy who has never eclipsed 1,000 yards. Also not digging the lack of cornerback depth, although I say that as a guy who feels Toler should be our slot corner and somehow Marcus Peters falls to 29.

Couple of observations...

First and foremost, you have the Colts starting with $41.2 Mill....   today,  your favorite writer, Mike Wells from ESPN.com reports the Colts have the 6th most money -- $44 Mil.    I assume that comes from the NFL or the Colts,  or both.    So, there's nearly $3 Mill in your pocket.

Second....  you have Brown at $1Mill.    I assume that's Sergio Brown?    If so, he's coming off a year of $1.4 Mill, so I suspect he'll get bumped to something like $1.6 Mill.  

Third....   you have the Colts taking DJ Humphries at 1-29...   fine, no issue there.   But you also have the Colts signing not one, but TWO free agent OT's in Fox and Hairston.     Can you explain your thinking on that?    I noticed you retained Reitz on a 2-year deal, and we still have the 7th R pick from last year that the Colts appear to like, so we seem flush at that position...

Fourth....   on all your FA signings you show their cap hit number for 2016?   Was that deliberate?   Why not 2015?

Your thoughts here? 

Thanks.....

I feel like it does not go far enough addressing the trenches.  It also seems we would be a little light at CB if you are letting Butler go and only bringing in 1 later round rookie corner.  

I think Sergio Brown will get more. 

Are one of those tackles good at guard? 

I think we have to make pass rush a bigger priority.

Not a fan of Ingram.

I like Langford, would love to get him there. 

Really like us to get Searcy.

First and foremost, you have the Colts starting with $41.2 Mill....   today,  your favorite writer, Mike Wells from ESPN.com reports the Colts have the 6th most money -- $44 Mil.    I assume that comes from the NFL or the Colts,  or both.    So, there's nearly $3 Mill in your pocket.

Second....  you have Brown at $1Mill.    I assume that's Sergio Brown?    If so, he's coming off a year of $1.4 Mill, so I suspect he'll get bumped to something like $1.6 Mill.  

Third....   you have the Colts taking DJ Humphries at 1-29...   fine, no issue there.   But you also have the Colts signing not one, but TWO free agent OT's in Fox and Hairston.     Can you explain your thinking on that?    I noticed you retained Reitz on a 2-year deal, and we still have the 7th R pick from last year that the Colts appear to like, so we seem flush at that position...

Fourth....   on all your FA signings you show their cap hit number for 2016?   Was that deliberate?   Why not 2015?

Your thoughts here? 

Thanks.....

While I cant answer for Sup, I can understand why 3 offensive linemen might be signed. That is a position where you need good depth. We did start so many different o-lines this last season it might be wise to have one or two extra.

All good in my book....I'd still contend staff will keep Richardson till his contract is up...at the very least he gets a chance to come into camp. I just did not see it with Humphries....He is mobile which I like, But I just did not see this aggressive nasty demeanor much at all that his profile speaks of, Does not look like a good drive blocker and also lunges and leans to often for my liking...Not opposed to trading down into the 2nd if possible and getting him(Which I suspect that's where he will go anyway barring a serious run on Tackles, For me personally he is a reach at 1/29) because he has physical tools to work with no doubt

Like the Anthony and Lockett pick, I also think Shaw has a solid upside with some coaching

I'd probably go with John Crockett over Langford in the 5th, Seems to be more shifty and quick

Cant find anything on Dickson

Pretty good, Free agents and Draft. Just not sure how likely the picks are. Don't think Langford makes it to our pick in the 4th let alone 5th. Don't think Davidson is there in the 6th, Nor Lockett there in the 3rd.

Overall not bad, but somewhat unrealistic.

Just assume the picks are there, lol. We never really know, and the guys that I took lower than you might think have no real consensus from what I see.

I will disagree on Langford, though. So many backs, many of them with more every down potential than him.

First and foremost, you have the Colts starting with $41.2 Mill.... today, your favorite writer, Mike Wells from ESPN.com reports the Colts have the 6th most money -- $44 Mil. I assume that comes from the NFL or the Colts, or both. So, there's nearly $3 Mill in your pocket.

Second.... you have Brown at $1Mill. I assume that's Sergio Brown? If so, he's coming off a year of $1.4 Mill, so I suspect he'll get bumped to something like $1.6 Mill.

Third.... you have the Colts taking DJ Humphries at 1-29... fine, no issue there. But you also have the Colts signing not one, but TWO free agent OT's in Fox and Hairston. Can you explain your thinking on that? I noticed you retained Reitz on a 2-year deal, and we still have the 7th R pick from last year that the Colts appear to like, so we seem flush at that position...

Fourth.... on all your FA signings you show their cap hit number for 2016? Was that deliberate? Why not 2015?

Your thoughts here?

Thanks.....

The difference in cap space is a mistake on my part. I accounted for the draft picks twice. Between that and Wells possibly counting Cribbs, it's probably a wash, or close to it. Nice catch.

I can probably add my pass rusher. I'm think McPhee, five years, $40m, $15m guaranteed with 2015 & 2016 cap hits at $6m each.

Speaking of which, if you look again, you'll see both the 2015 & 2016 cap hits for each contract. I added the 2016 cap hits last time, too, so we can keep track of what's committed in the future. As I said, we're still at around $50m under the cap in 2016.

I don't think Sergio Brown has a market. Lots of safeties now available in free agency. I think he'd test the waters and find himself back home. If not, he's replaceable, but I'd like to have him as a backup and for special teams.

And for the OTs, I'd be projecting Reitz at RG, not RT. The other two can play guard and tackle also. Depth and competition. Probably puts several of the guys on the roster already on notice, but really, OT was the thinnest position on the roster last season.

Post tag deadline, so we have a better idea who might be on the move, and who mostly likely won't be. We also know what the cap is.

Starting cap position in 2015: Adjusted cap with rollover of $152.4m, $111.2m committed (including draft picks and all contracts, not just top-51), cap space of $41.2m

Releases

Cherilus, saves $4m in 2015 and $4.1m in 2016 (post-June 1)

Thomas, saves $3.25m in 2015, $3.75m in 2016

Richardson, no savings in 2015 (presumably, potential $3.2m credit in the future)

Cribbs (already a FA, per Spotrac)

Total saved: $7.25m in 2015, $7.85 in 2016, $15.1m total

New cap position in 2015: $104m committed, cap space of $48.4m

Free agent retentions

McNary, ERFA, waive rights

Nixon, ERFA, (waived already)

Herron, ERFA tender, $.585m

Adongo, ERFA tender, $.585m

Pendleton, RFA, waive rights

Overton, RFA, extend, three years, $2.8m, 2015 cap hit of $.85m

Freeman, RFA, extend, three years, $10m, 2015 cap hit of $2.9m

Howell, RFA, no offer

Shipley, RFA tender original round, $1.539m

Gordy, UFA, no offer

Reitz, UFA, extend, two years, $4.75m, 2015 cap hit of $2.25m

Anderson, UFA, no offer

Brown, UFA, one year, $1m (above vet minimum)

Nicks, UFA, no offer

Moala, UFA, no offer

Butler, UFA, no offer

Studebaker, UFA, one year, $870K (vet minimum)

Bradshaw, UFA, no offer

Redding, UFA, one year, $2.5m

Adams, UFA, two years, $6.5m, 2015 cap hit of $3.25m

Wayne, UFA, one year, $2.5m

Hasselbeck, one year, $3m (already done)

Added $21.829m to 2015 cap (added approx $9.7m to 2016 cap, all in non-guaranteed salaries)

New cap position in 2015: $125.8m committed, cap space of $26.6m

Extensions

Castonzo, five years, $40m, $20m guaranteed, 2015 cap hit of $6.5m (2016 cap hit of $7m)

Subtracted $.9m from 2015 cap (added $7m to 2016 cap, guaranteed)

New cap position in 2015: $124.9m committed, cap space of $27.5m

Free agent additions

Da'Norris Searcy, S -- four years, $24m, 2015 cap hit of $4.5m (2016 cap hit of $4.75m)

Nick Fairley, DT -- four years, $27m, 2015 cap hit of $5.5m (2016 cap hit of $5.5m)

Mark Ingram, RB -- three years, $13m, 2015 cap hit of $3.5m (2016 cap hit of 4.25m)

Jason Fox, OT -- two years, $2.5m, 2015 cap hit of $1.25 (2016 cap hit of $1.25m)

Chris Hairston, OT – two years, $2.2m, 2015 cap hit of $1.1m (2016 cap hit of $1.1m)

Added $15.85m to 2015 cap (also added $16.85m to 2016 cap, ~$9m guaranteed)

New cap position in 2015: $140.75m committed, cap space of $11.65m

Draft

1/29: DJ Humphries, OT, Florida, 2015 cap hit of $1.34m; just letting the board talk for me, played left tackle as a senior but could challenge for the starting spot on the right side as a rookie, a winning blocker almost every snap

2/29: Stephone Anthony, ILB, Clemson, 2015 cap hit of $.65m; good size, can support the range, has range and athleticism in coverage, knows how to make blockers miss

3/29: Tyler Lockett, WR, Kansas State, 2015 cap hit of $.57m; no consensus on his draft stock at this point, some have moved him up, some still have him in the 90-100 range; he's an immediate slot producer

4/29: Josh Shaw, CB/S, USC, 2015 cap hit of $.54m; can play 4 positions in the secondary, great athlete, should be higher than this, but had the high profile suspension

5/29: Jeremy Langford, RB, Michigan State, 2015 cap hit of $.48m; smallish but speedy back who can produce as a runner and receiver

6/29: Xzavier Dickson, Edge, Alabama, 2015 cap hit of $.46m; pass rusher in need of refinement, but big guy who can produce

6/31: Tyeler Davison, NT, Fresno State, 2015 cap hit of $.46m; big body who can anchor against the run, not a lot of pass rush

7/28: Jordan Taylor, WR, Rice, 2015 cap hit of $.45m; big receiver with college production

Added $5m to 2015 cap (also added about $6m to 2016 cap, about $.9m guaranteed)

New cap position in 2015: $145.75m, cap space of $6.65m

Go top 51, and you're looking at a cap number of around $138m, plenty of flexibility. And we're still about $50m under the projected cap $150m for 2016.

Couldn't make room for a pass rusher. I tried. I suppose I could make it work with the extra top 51 room, but it gets tight. If you really wanted a guy like Jason Worilds, and he's willing to take $6m/year, then let's make it happen.

Not sure I like signing 2 OT's than taking one at 29 have a feeling we are going to get an unexpected slidder there

Like Lockett not only goes into the slot pretty sure he upgrades our return game day 1

Like Langford too. I really want Hardison some how.

Not much to address pass rush

The difference is cap space is a mistake on my part. I accounted for the draft picks twice. Between that and Wells possibly counting Cribbs, it's probably a wash, or close to it. Nice catch.

I can probably add my pass rusher. I'm think McPhee, five years, $15m guaranteed with 2015 & 2016 cap hits at $6m each.

Speaking of which, if you look again, you'll see both the 2015 & 2016 cap hits for each contract. I added the 2016 cap hits last time, too, so we can keep track of what's committed in the future. As I said, we're still at around $50m under the cap in 2016.

I don't think Sergio Brown has a market. Lots of safeties now available in free agency. I think he'd test the waters and find himself back home. If not, he's replaceable, but I'd like to have him as a backup and for special teams.

And for the OTs, I'd be projecting Reitz at RG, not RT. The other two can play guard and tackle also. Depth and competition. Probably puts several of the guys on the roster already on notice, but really, OT was the thinnest position on the roster last season.

On the cap hits....  yeah, I completely whiffed!    That's an A-D-D moment for me!    The (   ) around the 2016 numbers caught my eye and I didn't see the '15 numbers.     (Yikes!)

As for Brown....   I don't see the Colts cutting the guy's pay by 30 percent.   And I sure don't think he'd take it.   I think he'd go elsewhere for the $1m.    I think it would be a crappy thing to do.    His specialty is special teams and he played well as far as we know.    I don't see his pay getting cut.    If we think we can replace him with another guy for $1m then I think that's what we'd do.

I just don't see that happening.

As for the OT's...    OK....   depth it is.    Honestly,  I didn't think we had a problem with depth so much last year.   We had bodies.  They just weren't all that talented.   So, I don't know if/how Fox and Hairston upgrades the depth?    They might, but I don't think it's a lock that they do....

Just thinking out loud....

One last thought......  with all that you see us doing,  are we still OK to sign the 2012 class comfortably?

I feel like it does not go far enough addressing the trenches. It also seems we would be a little light at CB if you are letting Butler go and only bringing in 1 later round rookie corner.

Not a fan of Ingram.

Both tackles can backup the guard spots.

I snuck McPhee in after NCF pointed out an accounting error. So pass rush is addressed.

If Sergio has a market, good for him. I don't think he does, especially this year.

We are light at corner. Would have to supplement with UDFAs, and maybe a June signing. And we have a couple of deep reserves who have been around for a couple years. But no question, IMO, that Shaw can play at a high level as a rookie. I might even move Toler inside in nickel situations and let Shaw stay outside. But really I think he'd be a good third safety / nickel guy right away.

On the cap hits.... yeah, I completely whiffed! That's an A-D-D moment for me! The ( ) around the 2016 numbers caught my eye and I didn't see the '15 numbers. (Yikes!)

As for Brown.... I don't see the Colts cutting the guy's pay by 30 percent. And I sure don't think he'd take it. I think he'd go elsewhere for the $1m. I think it would be a crappy thing to do. His specialty is special teams and he played well as far as we know. I don't see his pay getting cut. If we think we can replace him with another guy for $1m then I think that's what we'd do.

I just don't see that happening.

As for the OT's... OK.... depth it is. Honestly, I didn't think we had a problem with depth so much last year. We had bodies. They just weren't all that talented. So, I don't know if/how Fox and Hairston upgrades the depth? They might, but I don't think it's a lock that they do....

Just thinking out loud....

One last thought...... with all that you see us doing, are we still OK to sign the 2012 class comfortably?

If Brown takes a look around and doesn't want to come back, that's cool. But I think he's a vet minimum guy anywhere else. He'd be getting an extra $200k from us. It's not really a pay cut. It's a new contract that reflects today's value. He doesn't get yesterday's pay or more just because we're nice guys. I wouldn't try to disrespect him. I just don't think he has much more of a market.

At tackle, last year, Nixon was hurt, Reitz was hurt, Cherilus was hurt... we had to start Mewhort over there at one point. Right now, there really is no one else. Nixon is gone, I'm cutting Cherilus, and I want Reitz at RG. Draft Humphries, keep Ulrick John, sign the two vets for depth, see what happens in July and August. I think our 9-10 OL going in to Week 1 would be better than they were last year.

And yes, after adjusting my numbers, we'd have about $101m committed for 2016, against a cap projected at at least $150m. Plenty to handle Luck and the others in 2016 and beyond, and still probably looking at $20m in cap space each new season.

Last thing, if I add McPhee, I'm good with getting rid of Walden. That's more breathing room.

McPhee is just as good an edge aetter as Walden whilst being an upgrade in pass rush.

I Am weary about pulling the trigger on McPhee. Part time player being paid to be a full time starter, not sure if he can make that next step. Also not sold on his pass rush skills. His only sacks came against terrible o lines (IND, ATL, CLE, JAX, TB) I think for the money he wants we are better off going for a proven commodity.

I Am weary about pulling the trigger on McPhee. Part time player being paid to be a full time starter, not sure if he can make that next step. Also not sold on his pass rush skills. His only sacks came against terrible o lines (IND, ATL, CLE, JAX, TB) I think for the money he wants we are better off going for a proven commodity.

I understand that, 10 million is too much also.

My observations:

1. Nice to see I'm not the only person who has Stephone Anthony as a 2nd round pick in my mock

2. OL does make sense if you're going to release Cherilus

3. Don't like the Lockette pick personally. Feel there is a lot more you can get there than an average receiver

4. Wouldn't want Fairley because of his character concerns. We've had too much of that lately

5. 3 years for Ingram? I don't see why

I feel like it does not go far enough addressing the trenches.  It also seems we would be a little light at CB if you are letting Butler go and only bringing in 1 later round rookie corner.  

Not a fan of Ingram.

Really deficient on the trenches.  I have to agree!!!!!

He's a hard runner and a good pass blocker. Only 25, not a lot of mileage, he was even a timeshare back in college. To me, he's Bradshaw.

Do you think it's worth it to spend that kind of money on a RB when we can find one in the draft?  To me, RBs are very much plug-and-play.  I think a guy like Jay Ajayi could do similar work and be much cheaper.  He obviously won't be as polished an Ingram, but we can invest those savings towards the OL so it won't matter as much who we have in our backfield because our strong OL will be able to open holes for them anyway

Why do you want to cut a three down lb for a pass rush specialist?

Love adding all the competition on the o line, but how much does your plan change if redding decides to retire?

McPhee is a better three down player than Walden. I have no beef with Walden, but McPhee is an upgrade. I'd even carry Walden through camp and see what happens. If Mathis can't make it back, we might need him.

I'm assuming that Redding has hinted at coming back, based on the decision to cut RJF. If he retires, then I'd look at another late free agent DL. I think we have plenty of competition and depth at DL.

Really deficient on the trenches.  I have to agree!!!!!

I don't think it's deficient in the trenches.

Plenty of OL depth and competition. AC, Mewhort, Holmes, Reitz, Humphries, Harrison, Shipley, Thornton, John, Fox, Hairston, etc.

Plenty of DL depth and competition: Jones, Redding, Chapman, Hughes, Kerr, Quarles, Fairley, Davison, etc. We can go back for Pendleton and vet minimum also. 

Do you think it's worth it to spend that kind of money on a RB when we can find one in the draft?  To me, RBs are very much plug-and-play.  I think a guy like Jay Ajayi could do similar work and be much cheaper.  He obviously won't be as polished an Ingram, but we can invest those savings towards the OL so it won't matter as much who we have in our backfield because our strong OL will be able to open holes for them anyway

It's funny because I was watching an NFL countdown on some of the greatest rookie seasons of all time and most of them were RBs and the people they interviewed said that it's because RB is such a plug and play position. Especially when you factor in a good O-Line. I agree.

I like that he has us getting Langford, but 3 years and $13 million for Ingram is pointless unless you're the Cowboys.

It's funny because I was watching an NFL countdown on some of the greatest rookie seasons of all time and most of them were RBs and the people they interviewed said that it's because RB is such a plug and play position. Especially when you factor in a good O-Line. I agree.

I like that he has us getting Langford, but 3 years and $13 million for Ingram is pointless unless you're the Cowboys.

How is it pointless? 

First, I didn't share all the contract details, but it's basically one year, $4m. Maybe steep, I'll admit that, but I think that's his market. Either way, there's no long term commitment to him.

Second, while I don't think RB is a position where it's critical to have the best player in the league, there is a difference between an average back and a good back. In a timeshare, as the lead back, Ingram would be as good as Bradshaw, or better. Look at how much better our offense was in the first half of the season with Bradshaw getting 12-15 carries a game.

How is it pointless? 

First, I didn't share all the contract details, but it's basically one year, $4m. Maybe steep, I'll admit that, but I think that's his market. Either way, there's no long term commitment to him.

Second, while I don't think RB is a position where it's critical to have the best player in the league, there is a difference between an average back and a good back. In a timeshare, as the lead back, Ingram would be as good as Bradshaw, or better. Look at how much better our offense was in the first half of the season with Bradshaw getting 12-15 carries a game.

I agree with what you're saying. It was just the specific player I had an issue with. Although I could be biased in my thinking. I'm not sure Ingram is a bust because he was a 1st round pick and Heisman winner but never lived up to the hype, or whether he was a decent back who just got over-hyped and over-drafted. If you had put Frank Gore, CJ Spiller,etc... there I would have been fine with it. But if it's essentially a 1 year prove it deal, then I'd be for it I guess.

I agree with what you're saying. It was just the specific player I had an issue with. Although I could be biased in my thinking. I'm not sure Ingram is a bust because he was a 1st round pick and Heisman winner but never lived up to the hype, or whether he was a decent back who just got over-hyped and over-drafted. If you had put Frank Gore, CJ Spiller,etc... there I would have been fine with it. But if it's essentially a 1 year prove it deal, then I'd be for it I guess.

He barely got regular touches his first three years. I don't think he's a bust. Overdrafted, sure, but pretty much every RB in the first round over the past several years has been overdrafted. Wrong team, too, IMO. Pass happy attack with 3-4 backs on the roster.

IMO, Gore is too old. A one year deal would be fine.

And I was torn between Spiller and Ingram, but I did my draft first and liked Langford, who would be redundant with Spiller. And Ingram is a better pass blocker and more of a between the tackles runner. 

All of my contracts, except for Castonzo and Fairley, are only guaranteed in Year 1. Those two have guaranteed money in Year 2. Maybe McPhee, also. So we're not long term married to anyone.