Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Superman's 2015 offseason mock (2.0)

I think the cuts and reisignings of the Colts players are about perfect.  I'd toss a few more bucks to Reitz and Brown because I think they will have to be counted on for a game or two.  I'd pass on Shipley (see below)

I like the Searcy and Hairston signings.  I like the Ingram signing but I think he'd sign for less money (Shady just got traded for a LB with a repaired knee, further devaluing RBs, IMO).  I'd take a cheaper Jared Odrick over a questionale Nick Fairley.  I'd pass on Shipley.  With the money saved on Ingram, Odrick, and Shipley, or about $4-5mm, I'd get (edit) Boling.

After signing Boling, Fox, and Hairston; if the OT was the best option at at 29, I'd trade back and get a pick in the second and the third.

Anthony would be the first pick of the draft with the new mid second round pick, Lockett in the bottom of the second. 

I'd want to say a CB and a 4th safety in the third (if there is value)....then the rest of your draft I like.

If you're not tendering Gordy and Butler, we need more CBs in the draft, IMO.

I think the cuts and reisignings of the Colts players are about perfect.  I'd toss a few more bucks to Reitz and Brown because I think they will have to be counted on for a game or two.  I'd pass on Shipley (see below)

I like the Searcy and Hairston signings.  I like the Ingram signing but I think he'd sign for less money (Shady just got traded for a LB with a repaired knee, further devaluing RBs, IMO).  I'd take a cheaper Jared Odrick over a questionale Nick Fairley.  I'd pass on Shipley.  With the money saved on Ingram, Odrick, and Shipley, or about $4-5mm, I'd get (edit) Boling.

After signing Boling, Fox, and Hairston; if the OT was the best option at at 29, I'd trade back and get a pick in the second and the third.

Anthony would be the first pick of the draft with the new mid second round pick, Lockett in the bottom of the second. 

I'd want to say a CB and a 4th safety in the third (if there is value)....then the rest of your draft I like.

If you're not tendering Gordy and Butler, we need more CBs in the draft, IMO.

Good thoughts.

I've come to think that it's cheating to mock trades in the draft. I do it for fun, but not my big mocks. I think we all fall in love with those 40-50 range guys and want as many as we can get. If Grigson chooses to do that, okay, but for a mock, I think you just stick to the picks you have. Otherwise, I could hit first-pick.com and wind up with three 2nds and three 3rds and pick everyone's favorite players, but that's not the way it works.

We'll see what Ingram's market is, but I think that's about where he'll be. If that's too much for us, that's one thing, but I don't think it's unreasonable for him to get $4m/year. 

Signing Boling puts Reitz at RT? I'm assuming so, but I think a good RT is super important for the future.

Good thoughts.

I've come to think that it's cheating to mock trades in the draft. I do it for fun, but not my big mocks. I think we all fall in love with those 40-50 range guys and want as many as we can get. If Grigson chooses to do that, okay, but for a mock, I think you just stick to the picks you have. Otherwise, I could hit first-pick.com and wind up with three 2nds and three 3rds and pick everyone's favorite players, but that's not the way it works.

We'll see what Ingram's market is, but I think that's about where he'll be. If that's too much for us, that's one thing, but I don't think it's unreasonable for him to get $4m/year. 

Signing Boling puts Reitz at RT? I'm assuming so, but I think a good RT is super important for the future.

I think of Reitz as the sixth man on the Oline, a guy who will get PT from time to time at various positions due to nick nack injuries to others.  I think Hairston, Fox, or Mewhort would all play RT over Reitz....another reason why I wouldn't go OT at 29.

Having read my post again, and your mock,  I think we'd both be short on CBs.  You're basically heading into the post-draft offseason with Vontae, Toler, and a 5th round pick as the CBs.   That's it?  I'm rethinking that 29 might have to be a CB (if there is value) considering you've cut Gordy and Butler and haven't signed any FAs.

Maybe the best idea would be to reevaluate not re-signing Butler.

I think of Reitz as the sixth man on the Oline, a guy who will get PT from time to time at various positions due to nick nack injuries to others.  I think Hairston, Fox, or Mewhort would all play RT over Reitz....another reason why I wouldn't go OT at 29.

Having read my post again, and your mock,  I think we'd both be short on CBs.  You're basically heading into the post-draft offseason with Vontae, Toler, and a 5th round pick as the CBs.   That's it?  I'm rethinking that 29 might have to be a CB (if there is value) considering you've cut Gordy and Butler and haven't signed any FAs.

Maybe the best idea would be to reevaluate not re-signing Butler.

I have Reitz pegged at guard, likely to win the RG spot if he can stay healthy. If not, between Thornton, Harrison and Fox, something would shake out. Humphries is the RT, mostly likely. 

And at corner, I didn't keep Butler because it sounds like he'll have a decent market and want more money than I think he should be paid. But between the depth guys we have now and more UDFAs, I think we can put together a stable of corners. A June signing would be a good idea, also.

Josh Shaw in the 4th round is interesting. I would like to know how his interviews are going. It sounds like he is accepting responsibility for his past mistakes which is an encouraging sign. Apparently his ankles are checking out well medically to boot. I like him as a safety though. His versatility is a plus though. 

I need to see more on Humphries. I keep reading how he is shooting up draft boards, but he put on over 25 pounds for the Combine. His playing weight was 280 last season. I am not that thrilled with the offensive line talent in this draft in general, so I am not terribly thrilled with the idea of taking a risky prospect in the first round. 

I see you seem to have a thing for Lockett and Nick Fairley still. I recall you having those two in your previous iteration of the offseason. I would still pass on Fairley given his off-field transgressions and inconsistent on-field production. I am lukewarm on Lockett. 

Jason Fox, OT -- two years, $2.5m, 2015 cap hit of $1.25 (2016 cap hit of $1.25m)

I'm smart. Nailed his contract, just wrong team. He re-signed with the Dolphins today.

http://nfltraderumors.co/dolphins-re-sign-ol-jason-fox/